7 Day Early upgrade Situation.....

Highlighted
Tutor

7 Day Early upgrade Situation.....

I just wanted to vent a little bit.  This isn't my first rodeo with At & T and I should know better by now... however I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

My son's phone broke, and he is eligible for an upgrade on August 3rd.  I was so hoping to be able to go get his phone upgraded a week early so he would not be without one.  After 2 phone calls and a stop in at an AT&T authorized retailer store, I was informed I could upgrade over the phone, or in the store - however the Galaxy 3 was going to be either 99.99 (in the store) or 199.99 (over the phone). 

My theory was going into Best Buy and getting it for $50.00, and trading in a phone for a $50.00 credit which means I pay $0.00 out of pocket.  However, with the way the circus is ran - that won't happen.

I was able to get the old HTC Inspire to work (sort of), cracked screen and all, so he at least has a phone for a week.    However, would have been much nicer to just get the upgrade.

I understand not upgrading months early, but really - 7 days and it's that big of deal?  Then I was told I could go in on the first of the month and they can push it through - so technically it is only 5 days early.  

Maybe someday I will understand how things work.......

Message 1 of 4 (365 Views)
Professor

Re: 7 Day Early upgrade Situation.....

Best Buy isn't AT&T.  Best Buy can only go by the upgrade date that's in the system.  They have their own rules that would prevent anyone from upgrading early.  AT&T did give you some upgrade options.  It seems that your issue is really the price that you wanted to pay, rather than your ability to upgrade the phone.

Message 2 of 4 (285 Views)
Tutor

Yes I had options of upgrades available however why pay 200.00 when I could get by without not paying anything at all.  I really didn't like 7 days was that big of a deal, but I have learned.... it is.....

Message 3 of 4 (248 Views)
Expert

cajunmess wrote:

Yes I had options of upgrades available however why pay 200.00 when I could get by without not paying anything at all.  I really didn't like 7 days was that big of a deal, but I have learned.... it is.....

yes it is, called a contractual agreement - they gave you the previous phone for a greatly reduced price in return you agreed to not get another one for the full term of the agreement.  The recently extended the upgrade period from 20 months to 24, so you next upgrade will not be for the full two years.

You have an option with the new planthat att released,  called ATT Next

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html#fbid=RYwg1RrfJzj

you don't get the phone subsidized, but you can pay the phone off in monthly installments and you can upgrade every year

Message 4 of 4 (236 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.