$500 deposit for international student

Voyager

$500 deposit for international student

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am a international student and joined a AT&T data plan with my friends 6 months ago. Every of us deposited $500 due to we couldn't provide a ssn number. Now I want to terminate my contract individually by paying the early termanation fee. Just wonder if I can get a full refund of my deposit ? If I can, how long should I wait recieve it? And in what method AT&T will send this money back to me? Thanks.

Message 1 of 6 (609 Views)
Employee

Re: $500 deposit for international student

A deposit is generally returned after 12 months of active service without a non-payment suspension.  Keep in mind your account will also need to be active during this time frame for your deposit to be refunded.  A link to a FAQ support article can be found here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (569 Views)
Voyager

When I opened the account, the agent promised me that I can suspend the account when I leave the country during the first contract year. I read the support page and it stated that it should be a continuous 12months. I feel like being deceived.
Message 3 of 6 (558 Views)
ACE - Expert

If you close your account prior to the 12 months, any remaining bills (final bill, etf, etc. ) will be taken out of the deposit and the rest returned to you by check.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (552 Views)
Employee

Hi chen1344, 

We deal with a lot of international students at my location. You can absolutely suspend your line if you are going overseas back home for a little bit. There is a few things to keep in mind if you do this:

- International Suspend usually reduces the rate down to being $10 a month and must be paid every month, usually using myAT&T

- All other lines on the account need to continue paying their part of the bill, or your sevice may be canceled

- The account holder must call into customer care to start the suspsend and when you want to reactive service. 

With regards to your deposit, you will get the deposit back after 12 months of completed service. The deposit usually comes back in the form a check to the address listed on file to the account holder. As you get closer to month 12, you can have the account holder call in to have the refund check processed to a different address or in the form a bill credit. 

If you cancel service before the 12 month mark, you would be responsible for any Early Termination Fees (ETF's) as well as the final bill before any despoit would be refunded to you. 

Hope this helps!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6 (550 Views)
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello chen1344,

Thank you for sending us a private message, I replied with some helpful information.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 6 (548 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.