Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 22, 2011
2:38:40 PM
View profile
4G
Took years for 3G to spread throughout the country. Are we looking at the same for 4G?
Took years for 3G to spread throughout the country. Are we looking at the same for 4G?

4G

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 4:45:24 PM
(0)
Guru

4G for AT&T has not seriously begun yet.

AT&T marketing will talk about how HSPA+ and improved backhauls qualify as "4G," but the *real* 4G will be LTE. Verizon has just begun their deployment, and at the moment it's for data devices only. The latest I've heard from AT&T is that they won't even begin that until later this year.

The big question in my mind is when (that is, in the iPhone 5 or 6) the iPhone will add an LTE compatible chipset, and for which carriers will it debut LTE. 

4G for AT&T has not seriously begun yet.

AT&T marketing will talk about how HSPA+ and improved backhauls qualify as "4G," but the *real* 4G will be LTE. Verizon has just begun their deployment, and at the moment it's for data devices only. The latest I've heard from AT&T is that they won't even begin that until later this year.

The big question in my mind is when (that is, in the iPhone 5 or 6) the iPhone will add an LTE compatible chipset, and for which carriers will it debut LTE. 

Re: 4G

2 of 14 (974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 6:05:06 PM
(0)
Master

nsayer wrote:

but the *real* 4G will be LTE. 

Not really.  The ITU decides what 4G really is and they gave the carriers the go ahead to classify HSPA+ as 4G just like they threw the LTE in the category also.  I don't really agree with their decision to cave in.

But on the more technical side LTE isn't really 4G either.  Its just a predecessor.  Many would say LTE-Advanced and WiMAX 2 is the real 4G.

People are really hung up on the terms.  

I look at it like this.  What are my speeds available right now when I purchase a device.  I can't get hung up on what will or what might not be available in the future.

nsayer wrote:

but the *real* 4G will be LTE. 

Not really.  The ITU decides what 4G really is and they gave the carriers the go ahead to classify HSPA+ as 4G just like they threw the LTE in the category also.  I don't really agree with their decision to cave in.

But on the more technical side LTE isn't really 4G either.  Its just a predecessor.  Many would say LTE-Advanced and WiMAX 2 is the real 4G.

People are really hung up on the terms.  

I look at it like this.  What are my speeds available right now when I purchase a device.  I can't get hung up on what will or what might not be available in the future.

3 of 14 (969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 1:24:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

4G with at&t they bairly have 3gSmiley Mad

4G with at&t they bairly have 3gSmiley Mad

4 of 14 (945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 5:40:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
There is no 4G service with ATT! Call em. Ask where it is. Nowhere. Forget the coverage maps. That's all false advertising. Checkitout.
There is no 4G service with ATT! Call em. Ask where it is. Nowhere. Forget the coverage maps. That's all false advertising. Checkitout.

5 of 14 (935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 11:55:30 PM
(0)
Employee

HSPA+ has been deployed to nearly all 3G areas but the backhaul isn't there yet

HSPA+ has been deployed to nearly all 3G areas but the backhaul isn't there yet

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 14 (918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2011 3:56:21 PM
(0)
Guru

In other words, the cake is a lie.

7 of 14 (860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2011 5:14:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

nsayer wrote:

That's just about right. Smiley Wink The "4G" claim seems to be false. False advertising/marketing is what I would call it.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

nsayer wrote:

That's just about right. Smiley Wink The "4G" claim seems to be false. False advertising/marketing is what I would call it.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 14 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2011 3:52:40 AM
(0)
Employee
Its not a lie. The phone is 4G capable and when the network backhaul is there you'll have some nicer speeds.
Its not a lie. The phone is 4G capable and when the network backhaul is there you'll have some nicer speeds.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 14 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2011 1:10:57 PM
(0)
Guru

So, yeah, the cake is a lie.

You clearly don't get the reference.

So, yeah, the cake is a lie.

You clearly don't get the reference.

10 of 14 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2011 3:48:16 PM
(0)
Professor

...in reality,,, you 'll be getting the speed you paid for and "should" have been getting at 3G... so we are still behind.

...in reality,,, you 'll be getting the speed you paid for and "should" have been getting at 3G... so we are still behind.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

11 of 14 (571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 4:03:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

d1h wrote:

3G is STILL not available to most of the country!   Come on att get your act together!

d1h wrote:

3G is STILL not available to most of the country!   Come on att get your act together!

12 of 14 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2011 12:41:15 AM
(0)
Scholar
An ATT CS rep told me they JUST got 3G where he lives in BFE. I could NOT believe it!
An ATT CS rep told me they JUST got 3G where he lives in BFE. I could NOT believe it!

13 of 14 (535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 11:28:06 AM
(0)
Teacher
The biggest lie is selling the Acer Aspire A) 722 netbook as a 4g device when it has a 3G modem in it. I got suckered good!
The biggest lie is selling the Acer Aspire A) 722 netbook as a 4g device when it has a 3G modem in it. I got suckered good!

14 of 14 (302 Views)