4G

d1h
Scholar

4G

Took years for 3G to spread throughout the country. Are we looking at the same for 4G?
Message 1 of 14 (995 Views)
Guru

Re: 4G

4G for AT&T has not seriously begun yet.

AT&T marketing will talk about how HSPA+ and improved backhauls qualify as "4G," but the *real* 4G will be LTE. Verizon has just begun their deployment, and at the moment it's for data devices only. The latest I've heard from AT&T is that they won't even begin that until later this year.

The big question in my mind is when (that is, in the iPhone 5 or 6) the iPhone will add an LTE compatible chipset, and for which carriers will it debut LTE. 

Message 2 of 14 (989 Views)
Master

nsayer wrote:

but the *real* 4G will be LTE. 

Not really.  The ITU decides what 4G really is and they gave the carriers the go ahead to classify HSPA+ as 4G just like they threw the LTE in the category also.  I don't really agree with their decision to cave in.

But on the more technical side LTE isn't really 4G either.  Its just a predecessor.  Many would say LTE-Advanced and WiMAX 2 is the real 4G.

People are really hung up on the terms.  

I look at it like this.  What are my speeds available right now when I purchase a device.  I can't get hung up on what will or what might not be available in the future.

Message 3 of 14 (984 Views)
Contributor

4G with at&t they bairly have 3gSmiley Mad

Message 4 of 14 (960 Views)
Scholar

There is no 4G service with ATT! Call em. Ask where it is. Nowhere. Forget the coverage maps. That's all false advertising. Checkitout.
Message 5 of 14 (950 Views)
Employee

HSPA+ has been deployed to nearly all 3G areas but the backhaul isn't there yet

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 14 (933 Views)
Guru

In other words, the cake is a lie.

Message 7 of 14 (875 Views)
Master

nsayer wrote:

In other words, the cake is a lie.

That's just about right. Smiley Wink The "4G" claim seems to be false. False advertising/marketing is what I would call it.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 8 of 14 (870 Views)
Employee

Its not a lie. The phone is 4G capable and when the network backhaul is there you'll have some nicer speeds.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 14 (819 Views)
Guru

So, yeah, the cake is a lie.

You clearly don't get the reference.

Message 10 of 14 (785 Views)
Professor

...in reality,,, you 'll be getting the speed you paid for and "should" have been getting at 3G... so we are still behind.

Message 11 of 14 (586 Views)
Teacher

d1h wrote:
Took years for 3G to spread throughout the country. Are we looking at the same for 4G?

3G is STILL not available to most of the country!   Come on att get your act together!

Message 12 of 14 (574 Views)
Scholar

An ATT CS rep told me they JUST got 3G where he lives in BFE. I could NOT believe it!
Message 13 of 14 (550 Views)
Highlighted

The biggest lie is selling the Acer Aspire A) 722 netbook as a 4g device when it has a 3G modem in it. I got suckered good!
Message 14 of 14 (317 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.