4G on the Apple iPhone 4S

Tutor

4G on the Apple iPhone 4S

I am curious to know when I do a SpeedTest on my 4S with it showing 4G my speeds are less then 2 mbps. As I notice it gives off a IP address for Wichita, KS and I live in Deltona, FL. Why doesn't it use a server closer to where I live then send all the data out of state, hence why the slow speeds I see. Is there anyway that the servers can be changed/switched so where I live I can utilize a closer site to recieve better data speeds on the network?

Message 1 of 13 (33,376 Views)
Employee

Re: 4G on the Apple iPhone 4S

If you are using the speed test app by ookla go to tools to change the server

Also HSPA+ doesn't necessarily mean super fast. Those are acceptable speeds.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13 (33,374 Views)

FAQs

Why does my iPhone 4S now show a 4G network indicator?
Apple has updated its iOS software (5.1) to show a 4G network indicator when customers are on AT&T’s 4G network. Only AT&T’s network lets iPhone 4S download 3 times faster and only AT&T customers have access to the nation’s largest 4G network covering nearly 250 million people.

Does this mean AT&T’s iPhone 4S runs faster with the new software?
No. AT&T iPhone 4S customers have been getting 4G speeds since day one.

Does AT&T’s iPhone 4S run on AT&T’s 4G LTE network?
No. AT&T’s iPhone 4S runs on the AT&T 4G (HSPA+) network, delivering fast 4G speeds.

Message 3 of 13 (33,340 Views)
Contributor

Regardless of the various network speeds the problem I have with the new 4G icon is that it does not represents when iPhone 4S is truly connected and using AT&T 4G (HSPA+) network. Not every location has 4G (HSPA+) service. You can be in the area that does not have 4G (HSPA+) service and still have 4G icon displayed on your phone. Ideally one would expect that when your iPhone 4S is used in the area with 3G (non HSPA+) only service it shows 3G icon. In my observation and by using my iPhone 4S in various non 4G locations it is either displaying 4G indicator or "E" for Edge.    

Message 4 of 13 (33,288 Views)
Professor

T-Mobile's 4G phones do this, too.  The thought (not known if it is true) is that because HSPA+ is the same 3G network with enhanced backhaul, the phone will only show 4G if it is connected to a tower with either technology.

Message 5 of 13 (33,276 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I did change it but the only servers i could change it to were ones that were around the wichita,ks area and i live in deltona,fl so when i go to do a test it pings the server and does the download and upload test from the wichita,ks  server from where i live in deltona, fl and makes it a low test score as it has a little distance to travel. as i guess there can be no way of changing the server that my iphone 4s with it showing 4G uses in my own area to do a speedtest from the orlando, tampa areas? as the ip address i get from the speed test shows it originates out of wichita, ks and not one from a florida city.

i feel that if to get a better speed test score i would have to get on a server that is from my own local area with a ip address that goes with a more local server to test on, to get a better speed test, i am just saying. if there is anyway to get a change in the area server with ip address i would appreciate any help in doing so. thanks in advance for any reply i get to help out.

Message 6 of 13 (33,155 Views)
Contributor

Message 7 of 13 (33,113 Views)
Professor

good00 wrote:

i do not think so!!

Message 8 of 13 (32,904 Views)
Master

graphite07 wrote:

good00 wrote:

i do not think so!!

In what sense?  The 5.1 update did not increase the speed of the 4S, it just labled it as 4G based on markeing and the changed standards by the agencies assigned to create the standard.  May not agree with the watered down standard but it is what it is.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 9 of 13 (32,895 Views)
Guru

graphite07 wrote:

good00 wrote:

i do not think so!!

You're mistaken.  The iPhone 4S is getting the identical speeds as before the 5.1 upgrade.  The only thing that changed is the icon from "3G" to "4G".  The actualy data was capable of HSPA+ 14.4 before as well as after the update.

There was a big deal when the phone first came out that "The iPhone 4S actually has 4G HSPA+, but Apple and AT&T isn't avertising it."  Well AT&T noticed this too and somehow convinced Apple to change the icon so they could market it as a 4G phone.  It could always do "4G" (not to be confused with LTE.)

"4G" is term that is so convoluted these days that it's worthless.

Message 10 of 13 (32,517 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

You have to turn the location services on for the speedtest app and that will connect it to the closest server. But it won't change the speeds. I thought the Samething when my 4s speeds went to crap but I still get the same crap speeds. Gonna change service soon cause I can't stand it anymore. Took me over an hour to download am app that was only 17.9 mb.
Message 11 of 13 (23,500 Views)
Contributor

I can't get better than 10mb down and 2 up on 4G on my iPhone 4S from AT&T. Even at 5am with 5 bars in the NYC metro area.

OTOH my son who has an iPhone 5 on the competing provider regularly gets 30 down and close to 30 up. So something is wrong. Either AT&T's 4G is not very good (which I doubt is true), or speedtest does not work right on this combo (phone/network) or the iPhone 4S 4G does not perform well.
Message 12 of 13 (8,716 Views)
Expert

Sysmg wrote:
I can't get better than 10mb down and 2 up on 4G on my iPhone 4S from AT&T. Even at 5am with 5 bars in the NYC metro area.

OTOH my son who has an iPhone 5 on the competing provider regularly gets 30 down and close to 30 up. So something is wrong. Either AT&T's 4G is not very good (which I doubt is true), or speedtest does not work right on this combo (phone/network) or the iPhone 4S 4G does not perform well.

the 4S  is HSPDA+, look at the specs of the device, the 5 is LTE

Message 13 of 13 (8,706 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.