4.3 Update and Microcell

4.3 Update and Microcell

I have a Galaxy S3 and recently updated to 4.3.  After update phone would no longer connect to Microcell.  Intial calls to AT&T said there was no reason for the connection problem and it definately was not the update - I even asked about 3G after updating - told Microcell is both 3 and 4 - I said that is not what I was led to believe.

After numerous calls finally AT&T admitted the problem was the 4.3 update because my phone won't do the 3G thing when needed for the Microcell any more.  They wanted me to give permission for access to my phone to make a settings change - I said no - tell me how to do it.

I was told to change from LTE/GSM auto (PRL) to GSM auto.  Okay - Microcell connected and I had 4G service outside of the house. 

Then I discovered that while connected to the Microcell, and on a call, the phone would switch to 4G for a second or two and then connect back to the Microcell.  Doing this dropped the call.  I have not called back AT&T at this point.

I was advised that the general Microcell problem is widespread - that was the reason for needing to switch to GSM auto.

But since that is not foolproof and it is causing calls to drop I set it back to LTE/GSM auto and I am back to one bar. Bad voice quality and it drops calls too.

I use this phone for business so this is a major problem for me.

Can anyone provide any way to address this problem now?  Is AT&T working on a fix?  Or is switching to a different provider with service in my area the only option.  BTW - I am in a city - not out in the middle of cow country (although I wish I was).

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Message 1 of 7

Re: 4.3 Update and Microcell

Well - gremlins are at it I guess - for about 5 seconds my phone just indicated it was connected to the Microcell - then it dropped and again displayed only "AT&T."  So now even more confused.

Message 2 of 7
ACE - Master

First of all, the MicroCell will connect at 3G only, irregardless of what your phone indicates. If the phone displays ATT M-Cell 4G, it is still only connecting at 3G to the MicroCell. Your phone is probably detecting a 4G signal and tries to connect to it only to fail. Then once it realizes there isn't a strong enough signal, it tries to re-connect to the MicroCell at 3G and can't.

This is not a general widespread problem. There were quite a few issues a few months back when the Galaxy Note 3 was introduced and it was detemined to be a Galaxy OS incompatibility issue that was eventually corrected by a fix from Samsung and AT&T. It sounds to me like the 4.3 OS has a glitch that renders the phone incapable of quickly re-establishing a 3G connection to the MicroCell if it briefly detects a 4G/LTE signal. I leave my phone on LTE all of the time and it has no problems handing off to the 3G MicroCell when I enter my home. This is likely a Samsung issue. I would send a PM to CustomerCare and detail exactly what has happend and when, what you have done to correct the issue, your account information, and location. It may require that AT&T in fact get access to your phone to modify a register. Don't know for sure so see what they have to say.

This is the first report I've seen of a problem with the S3 OS update to 4.3 so we'll just have to wait and see if this is system-wide and specific to just the 4.3 update.

You might want to try a hard reset of the MicroCell. That is sort of like a factory reset in that it forces the MicroCell to thru the Initial Activation process (details in the Guide, link in my sig). That may improve the communication between the MicroCell and your Samsung because of the update to the Samsung OS. VoIP on some phones is touchy at times, and if your S3 worked fine before, and now it doesn't after the upgrade, your phone has been changed somehow in how it communicates with the MicroCell.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The phone never displays 4G Microcell - it is only one or the other. The person I was working with at AT&T told me there were "quite" a number of complaints coming in about Microcell connection failures after the update and indicated the problem was due to the update.

I will try again with phone/message tech to see they have any new information after what the tech explained. I will also try the hard reset of the Microcell. The tech had unregistered the Microcell and went though the process as if it was a new installation. Let's see what happens when I try it from my end.

Thanks again.
Message 4 of 7
ACE - Master

Let me see what I can find with the Admins about the 4.3 update. I hadn't heard that but you may just be the first to report it here. I would think if there were quite a few complaints about the update and the MicroCell we'd have seen a few more by now. Unfortunately phone support isn't always the best place to get information.Samsung has a history with updates and new releases not playing nice with AT&T's VoIP system so this may take Samsung  some time to come up with a fix and get it to AT&T. Please send a PM so CustomerCare as I suggested. It bypasses the phone support and gets you a bit further up the chain.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7
Community Manager

Hello @horsing.around 

I'm sorry to read about your connectivity issues. Our team can take a look at it on AT&T's end and see how we can help. Please send us a private message by clicking here, please include your name, phone number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 7
ACE - Master

Thanks Dmitriy.

horsing.around - there are some issues with the 4.3 update from Samsung that they are aware of. That may be what the phone support person was referring too. Yours is the first reported here issue with the MicroCell so it will get added to the investigation. It may take Samsung some time to resolve this with AT&T so hang in there.

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support