3G Sault Ste Marie & Upper Peninsula

Scholar

3G Sault Ste Marie & Upper Peninsula

Anyone know when Sault Ste Marie and the rest of the eastern upper peninsula in Michigan is getting 3G?  I have a new HTC OneX and can't use the device for any data other than messaging unless you are on wifi.

Pretty bad that a city as big as this is still on Edge.

Message 1 of 10 (2,226 Views)
Scholar

Re: 3G Sault Ste Marie & Upper Peninsula

Not until the end of 2013. I live in northeastern lower Michigan near Rogers City. I filled a complaint with the BBB about a month ago about not having any 3G and received a call from the AT&T Office of the President. The secretary said they looked into it and none of northern MI besides Gaylord and West Branch will get 3G. So NE Lower MI and all of the remaining EDGE-only areas in the UP will remain 2G until the end-ish of 2013. 

A few days after receiveing that info I terminated my 4 smartphone lines with AT&T (paid ETF's on all of them) and switched to Verizon. Since then, we have 3G everywhere. I haven't dropped to 2G yet. 

I would return the OneX and switch to VZ. 

Message 2 of 10 (2,196 Views)
Scholar

If what you say is true, the ATT has flat out lied to me.  I personally went to an ATT store and they told me the 3G towers would be operational in my area by the end of July 2012.  Now I'm stuck with a HTC OneX that is nothing more than an expensive paperweight.  I wonder if I have any recourse against ATT.  I'm stuck with ATT and a $30/month data plan for 23 more months.

This really sucks.

Message 3 of 10 (2,189 Views)
Contributor

I just moved from Orlando, FL to N Mich, between Traverse City and Gaylord. AT&T was fine in FL, but 3G is non-existent here. I barely have any phone service at all. I called and yelled at someone for awhile, and they said we should have a 3G tower in the area by mid-July. I'll believe it when I see it (3G on my iPhone, not the actual tower). They basically told me "too bad", but my contract is up next month and AT&T has lost a 16 year customer. Apparently Verizon is the way to go around these here parts.
Message 4 of 10 (2,177 Views)
Scholar

I moved here to the UP last month.  ATT is supposedly the only one the works around here.  So I went with ATT.  Now I have no 3G, promises of 3G, and non-existent data service.  At least the cell coverage is decent.

There is 4G coverage 30 miles away on Mackinaw Island only because a US Senator insisted on the Island having 4G for his vacation home.  I guess the rest of us peons don't matter.

Message 5 of 10 (2,164 Views)
Scholar

Well, only two days to go till the end of July.  The ATT people here are telling us that 3G will be up and running by the end of the month.  I hope they are right.

Message 6 of 10 (2,030 Views)
Contributor

I'm currently in Curtis, MI and my iPhone 4S was indicating it was connected the 4G network (really 3G) for 1-2hrs this AM.   My phone has since changed back to edge service.   Here are the results of the speedtest I ran while connected to the 3G network.

Test Date: Aug 2, 2013 10:13 AM
Download: 2.27 Mbps
Upload: 1.30 Mbps
Ping: 266 ms
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Iron Mountain, MI
External IP: 198.228.228.171
Internal IP: 10.87.126.83
Latitude: 46.2062
Longitude: -85.7479
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=46.206201,-85.747940

Message 7 of 10 (1,050 Views)
Scholar

I'm in Pickford, and they are firing up 4G over here off an on. Today, August 2, it's been on more than off. So it looks like we Yoppers are getting 4G. If you look on the other Michigan discussion on here you can look at some of the speeds we are getting. Your speeds are in line with what we are getting over here. Basically 3G speeds.

Message 8 of 10 (1,013 Views)
Contributor

I'm heading back to Detour Monday for the rest of the summer.  Last Sunday and Monday morning, I had 4G (or so it said) for a couple of hours.  After that, it was back to the same miserably slower than dial-up coverage I'd had all summer.  In fact, last summer I had much better coverage than I've had this year.  Can anyone give me an update for the Detour area?

Message 9 of 10 (984 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Only update I can give you on the Detour area is a Verizon update. They fired up Verizon 4G LTE last week in Detour/Drummond Island.

Message 10 of 10 (970 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.