3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

Tutor

3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

I have had my Microcell for several months and it worked great.  A couple weeks ago it stopped working.  I have spent the better part of the last few days trying to fix and I need help.

Setup: Motorola SBG6580

Carrier: Time Warner Cable (TWC recently converted from Insight to TWC in Louisville)

Here is what I have done:

•Registered and reregistered

•AT&T sent me a replacement Microcell (for free thank you)

•Tested the new one with same issue (all steps but 4 activation seem to happen all lights ok minus blink bars)

• Called AT&T they helped but no fix.  They said that port 4500 is blocked

• I called Time Warner and they were no help and said the connection is what it is and cannot change it nor are they blocking ports.  If they were blocking they could not revert.

• Change the modem to bridging mode and removed NAT and only had the 3G behind (no good)

• Bought new CAble Modem (bare bones not FW, NAT or Routing) still unable to activate.

• Took the 3G to my old hous in Louisville (3 miles away) connected to TWC at that location and registered.  Still same issue of not activating.

This is driving me crazy Smiley Happy  I have been a loyal AT&T customer for years and dont want to stop service becasue of no coverage.  Can anyone help here?

Message 1 of 121 (7,668 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

Unfortunately that is not true. TWC is trying to blame AT&T for the incompatibility. I will be posting something soon but basically it is due to "security" measures that TWC felt they had to put into place after they merged (or took over) Insight. A cell tower has very little to do with in-home coverage using a MicroCell. This is a VOIP service so connection to the AT&T servers is via the internet thru specific ports, which TWC felt they had to block to make their network more secure.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 61 of 121 (1,834 Views)
Tutor

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

I would tend to agree with you Otto pilot, but there has not been a clear explanation from either side. Security measures is very broad. I would like so see something more specific. Network engineering is not complicated, just need a reason why it does not communicate over this network. There could be a DNS issue, black hole of routes from tower to micro cell, maybe idp is turn on for consumers and the traffic pattern for microcell is deemed unsafe, the att cells in Kentucky don't have a path back to microcell servers that provide communication setup.

no real non vague explanation given by att or twc.
Message 62 of 121 (1,829 Views)
ACE - Master

I just posted above what I believe to be the final statement. Neither AT&T or TWC are going to explain in detail to its customer base their reasons, technical or business-wise, why they did what they did. Basic AT&T network requirements are readily available to the public and they even give port requirements in their documentation. Information that TWC certainly had because there were no apparent problems when Insight was the service provider. This is all back-end stuff on the TWC side. I'm surprised we haven't heard from other TWC customers outside of the KY area about this. Now that I think about it, I think there was one report from a Southern California TWC/AT&T customer.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 63 of 121 (1,823 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for all your research Otto Pylot & calinyc.  I am suprised there haven't been more forum posts in the Los Angeles area.  My microcell hasn't worked for about a week.

Message 64 of 121 (1,808 Views)
Tutor

Lakanes311, do you have time Warner cable and using a microcell?

Message 65 of 121 (1,801 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

See my post: "TWC - Final Resolution to MicroCell Problems" if you are a TWC customer. If not, and you have problems, start a new post and we'll help you. I just want to keep the help threads separate.

Message 66 of 121 (1,791 Views)
Contributor

More news.  I received a call today from TW telling me that the problem is due to a firmware push AT&T sent out to the microcells in mid-Nov. They even sent me an email with basic troubleshooting and told me to call AT&T and my ticket was closed. I questioned the TW rep on this and said it sounds like finger pointing.  I called AT&T support and they knew nothing of a firmware push, so I called back TW and spoke to level 3 team lead. The conversation was a blame game on AT&T, and she would do nothing apparently per a corporate email on the 3G Microcell.  So I asked her to take the 3G out of the equation, lets do network troubleshooting.  Maybe it is an AT&T issue maybe not however I asked her to run a traces on TW network from AT&T server that I would give her the IP to my modem. She said no it was an AT&Tproblem. I asked again to troubleshoot TW network and lets look at IPSec traffic as this has nothing to do with the 3G and she refused.  So TW is unwilling or unable to troubleshoot their network.  It really is a shame when the enduser gets put in the middle of the finger pointing game.    

Message 67 of 121 (1,769 Views)
ACE - Master

That's exactly the type of response from TWC that I'm hearing from my other sources. AT&T did not push an update out. Otherwise it would have affected other users besides the TWC users in KY, and apparently elsewhere as well. AT&T is certainly not without their own set of issues but I believe in this particular case they are blameless. TWC has had other security issues on their network and I think it was just easier for them to block the ports than to figure out an effective way around it and still leave those ports open for VOIP traffic back and forth to AT&T. However, to be fair to TWC, I'm sure their support people are about as well informed on actual issues and fixes as is the AT&T support people on MicroCell issues (which could basically be said about any service provider's support staff). Those who do know what actually happened, and there are quite a few on both sides who do know, can't say publically for fear of retribution (losing their jobs). It's really a shame that corporations the size of TWC, AT&T, Comcast, etc care so little for the smaller customer base that comprises these "special" service areas.

Message 68 of 121 (1,767 Views)
Contributor

Calinyc...yes that is correct.
Message 69 of 121 (1,750 Views)
Contributor

I called TW corporate office at 212-364-8200. Option 2 is customer wishing to speak to Office of the President.  I spoke with a gentlemen to ask why they refuse to help troubleshoot this issue and why send a corporate email according to support staff telling staff not to troubleshoot.  I am supposed to get a call back from the executive response team.  I would suggest everyone having this issue and getting the runaround to do the same.

I am not saying this is a TW issue but how can TW say it is an AT&T issue without any troubleshooting?

Message 70 of 121 (1,738 Views)
ACE - Master

This is a TWC issue. They don't want to troubleshoot because they know it is a waste of time because of the changes they made to their network. To my knowledge, TWC doesn't have any plans at present to configure their network to work with AT&T like Insight did.

Message 71 of 121 (1,734 Views)

I spoke with both TWC and AT&T yesterday. The representatives from both companies make it clear to me that neither cares about my problem and neither has any intention of working towards a resolution. I don't know who to believe. From my perspective, either company could be lying. AT&T admitted that they continue to sell thier microcells in communities where TWC provides service without cautioning customers about the problems with TWC service. TWC continues to refer to the firmware update that was supposedly rolled out randomly to customers. Both companies demonstrate conduct that is staggering! AT&T reps continue to close out escalations without calling me back and TWC, well, they are continuing the long legacy of mediocre customer service that is the long history of cable companies. AT&T acts like these microcells work without a hitch with other ISP's. I've found plenty of compaints about them both on this forum as well as other websites. 

The last TWC rep mentioned that the traceroute stops at gar26.la2ca.ip.att.net (12.122.128.237). Any comments?

Message 72 of 121 (1,659 Views)
ACE - Master

First let me point out that I am not an AT&T employee. The only service that I have with them is our mobile account. There have been lots of issues with the MicroCell (and other femtocells from other providers as well) so they are certainly not above blame for support issues. However, in this case I think the majority of the blame falls squarely on TWC.  Both support groups have probably been told very little about what actually happened and why, and any information they do provide is more than likely "best guess". Senior management of both companies does not want their decisons to be made public so they provide most of their support staff with very little information. Sad, but true.

It's unfortunate that both companies are pointing fingers at each other with the customer caught in the middle but that's how big corporations work. In this case the connectivity issues were localized mostly to the KY area and right after the Insight merger with TWC. Any firmware updates that were pushed out were from the TWC side to reconfigure their modems/gateways to work with the new system. It takes time to reconfigure an entire network so my guess is that this will propagate thru the TWC system unless the configurational changes were specific only for the Insight customers.

As I've said before, the requirments for a service provider to make a VOIP connection to AT&T is public knowledge so it's not like this is an AT&T secret. Insight certainly didn't have any problems nor did other TWC customers. AT&T didn't make any changes on their end because they had nothing to do with the TWC/Insight merger so again, this points back to TWC and their "fix" for supposed security issues. I wish I could go into more detail but I can't. All I can say is follow the recommendations I've made in my other posts above.

Message 73 of 121 (1,642 Views)

It is my personal opinion that TWC has done this to force their customer base to purchase home phone service thru them.  I hope that eventually enough customers complain and the issue is resolved.  And I hope it happens sooner than later....

Message 74 of 121 (1,573 Views)
ACE - Master

It's interesting that you pointed that out. I was looking at their website and noticed their home phone service and wondered the same thing myself. If TWC is like any other provider I doubt if they will listen to their customers and open up their ports for other service providers to use.

Message 75 of 121 (1,574 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.