Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 27, 2013
12:43:46 PM
View profile
3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

I have had my Microcell for several months and it worked great.  A couple weeks ago it stopped working.  I have spent the better part of the last few days trying to fix and I need help.

Setup: Motorola SBG6580

Carrier: Time Warner Cable (TWC recently converted from Insight to TWC in Louisville)

Here is what I have done:

•Registered and reregistered

•AT&T sent me a replacement Microcell (for free thank you)

•Tested the new one with same issue (all steps but 4 activation seem to happen all lights ok minus blink bars)

• Called AT&T they helped but no fix.  They said that port 4500 is blocked

• I called Time Warner and they were no help and said the connection is what it is and cannot change it nor are they blocking ports.  If they were blocking they could not revert.

• Change the modem to bridging mode and removed NAT and only had the 3G behind (no good)

• Bought new CAble Modem (bare bones not FW, NAT or Routing) still unable to activate.

• Took the 3G to my old hous in Louisville (3 miles away) connected to TWC at that location and registered.  Still same issue of not activating.

This is driving me crazy Smiley Happy  I have been a loyal AT&T customer for years and dont want to stop service becasue of no coverage.  Can anyone help here?

I have had my Microcell for several months and it worked great.  A couple weeks ago it stopped working.  I have spent the better part of the last few days trying to fix and I need help.

Setup: Motorola SBG6580

Carrier: Time Warner Cable (TWC recently converted from Insight to TWC in Louisville)

Here is what I have done:

•Registered and reregistered

•AT&T sent me a replacement Microcell (for free thank you)

•Tested the new one with same issue (all steps but 4 activation seem to happen all lights ok minus blink bars)

• Called AT&T they helped but no fix.  They said that port 4500 is blocked

• I called Time Warner and they were no help and said the connection is what it is and cannot change it nor are they blocking ports.  If they were blocking they could not revert.

• Change the modem to bridging mode and removed NAT and only had the 3G behind (no good)

• Bought new CAble Modem (bare bones not FW, NAT or Routing) still unable to activate.

• Took the 3G to my old hous in Louisville (3 miles away) connected to TWC at that location and registered.  Still same issue of not activating.

This is driving me crazy Smiley Happy  I have been a loyal AT&T customer for years and dont want to stop service becasue of no coverage.  Can anyone help here?

3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

120 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
View all replies
(120)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 6:10:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Avedis53 wrote:

Follow the money.......your answer lies within......

Yep.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Avedis53 wrote:

Follow the money.......your answer lies within......

Yep.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

91 of 121 (1,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2013 10:39:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yep has to be a change suddenly microcell stops working in mid Nov 2013.  Before that it worked like a charm, easy to setup and activate.  Now won't activate at all.  Been talking to AT&T and TW since late Nov.  Nothing.  We are in Ballardsville,KY  I have emailed all our information, weeks and dozens of calls and chats to the email address the KevinT from TW posted earlier on this thread.  

Yep has to be a change suddenly microcell stops working in mid Nov 2013.  Before that it worked like a charm, easy to setup and activate.  Now won't activate at all.  Been talking to AT&T and TW since late Nov.  Nothing.  We are in Ballardsville,KY  I have emailed all our information, weeks and dozens of calls and chats to the email address the KevinT from TW posted earlier on this thread.  

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

92 of 121 (1,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2013 12:42:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I notified AT&T when this first started appearing in the forums and they in turn contacted TWC and started a dialog with them. The fact that Kevin T (TWC), who I believe is genuinely trying to help, offered to run it up the support chain is obviously out of the loop because TWC support has known about this long before Kevin T was assigned the ticket. TWC support is a lot like AT&T's in that they aren't always given the necessary information to adequately deal with a problem in a reasonable time frame. I will continue to follow up on this with the Admin but, as I've said before, this is a done deal unless TWC can agree, or come up with a workaround, for AT&T's VOIP service to work on their network.

I notified AT&T when this first started appearing in the forums and they in turn contacted TWC and started a dialog with them. The fact that Kevin T (TWC), who I believe is genuinely trying to help, offered to run it up the support chain is obviously out of the loop because TWC support has known about this long before Kevin T was assigned the ticket. TWC support is a lot like AT&T's in that they aren't always given the necessary information to adequately deal with a problem in a reasonable time frame. I will continue to follow up on this with the Admin but, as I've said before, this is a done deal unless TWC can agree, or come up with a workaround, for AT&T's VOIP service to work on their network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

93 of 121 (1,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 11:35:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

Per TWC-KevinT - he asked we should send certain information to TWC (I'm not going to recreate his post but you can see the specific instructions in his post).  I did exactly as he asked, emailed TWC and I'm going to copy and paste the reply that I got from the TWC representative below the line.  I think this proves that they are pretty much over it and not willing to help.  There are too few customers complaining and it appears to be isolated to KY.  So long TWC, you'll be losing my business (although they do not care....)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Unfortunately, all that we can support is TWC's equipment.

Thank you,

Stephanie S.

Social Media Representative

Time Warner Cable

Per TWC-KevinT - he asked we should send certain information to TWC (I'm not going to recreate his post but you can see the specific instructions in his post).  I did exactly as he asked, emailed TWC and I'm going to copy and paste the reply that I got from the TWC representative below the line.  I think this proves that they are pretty much over it and not willing to help.  There are too few customers complaining and it appears to be isolated to KY.  So long TWC, you'll be losing my business (although they do not care....)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Unfortunately, all that we can support is TWC's equipment.

Thank you,

Stephanie S.

Social Media Representative

Time Warner Cable

94 of 121 (1,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 11:49:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

Other than TWC and AT&T U-Verse which is not available in my area, are there any other ISPs that can get 10+mbps download speed?  I have 20 now and I can't go to DSL with 3-6.  Thoughts?  I'm in Louisville, KY close to the Summit 265/71 crossing....

Other than TWC and AT&T U-Verse which is not available in my area, are there any other ISPs that can get 10+mbps download speed?  I have 20 now and I can't go to DSL with 3-6.  Thoughts?  I'm in Louisville, KY close to the Summit 265/71 crossing....

95 of 121 (1,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 12:35:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

At least TWC is finally 'fessing up to the fact that it's their fault. Not supporting TWC equipment is a polite way of saying if you want VOIP, then you need to use our service because we don't want to carry AT&T traffic on our network anymore in this region. I wish there was more that we could do Smiley Sad

At least TWC is finally 'fessing up to the fact that it's their fault. Not supporting TWC equipment is a polite way of saying if you want VOIP, then you need to use our service because we don't want to carry AT&T traffic on our network anymore in this region. I wish there was more that we could do Smiley Sad

96 of 121 (1,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 6:07:33 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:59:19 AM

Hello! I just wanted to drop by and provide a quick update on this issue. Prior to that, I'd like to thank everyone that took the time to email our team with the information I requested on the TWC Forums. I reached out to our Regional Leadership team on 12/31 in regards to this issue, and we're still waiting for a response from them at this time. Once they have finished reviewing the data I've provided, I'll post an update on the TWC Forum thread for this issue [http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/MicroCell-Not-Working-on-TimeWarner-Cable-ISP/m-p/...]. Thanks again for your patience.

**Additionally, I've noticed a few isolated incidents in which emails sent to us may not have been addressed properly. I apologize for any miscommunication, and I can assure you that we're still working on this.

Kevin T. 
Time Warner Cable | Social Media Customer Care

Hello! I just wanted to drop by and provide a quick update on this issue. Prior to that, I'd like to thank everyone that took the time to email our team with the information I requested on the TWC Forums. I reached out to our Regional Leadership team on 12/31 in regards to this issue, and we're still waiting for a response from them at this time. Once they have finished reviewing the data I've provided, I'll post an update on the TWC Forum thread for this issue [http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/MicroCell-Not-Working-on-TimeWarner-Cable-ISP/m-p/15611]. Thanks again for your patience.

**Additionally, I've noticed a few isolated incidents in which emails sent to us may not have been addressed properly. I apologize for any miscommunication, and I can assure you that we're still working on this.

Kevin T. 
Time Warner Cable | Social Media Customer Care

[ Edited ]
97 of 121 (1,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 6:39:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Kevin for posting back but my guess is that the TWC Regional Leadership team is trying to figure out the best way to spin this. TWC has publically stated that they only support their own equipment on their network so that gives them an out if something that worked before doesn't work now, especially after the Insight merger. We've only seen one reported incident outside of the Kentucky area so this is highly suspicious.

Thanks Kevin for posting back but my guess is that the TWC Regional Leadership team is trying to figure out the best way to spin this. TWC has publically stated that they only support their own equipment on their network so that gives them an out if something that worked before doesn't work now, especially after the Insight merger. We've only seen one reported incident outside of the Kentucky area so this is highly suspicious.

98 of 121 (1,492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 10:20:24 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Some users are reporting that their MicroCells appear to be working now. Has anyone else tried plugging in the MicroCell and reactivating it?

We'd love to hear from you guys to determine whether there has been any improvement.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, everyone!

Some users are reporting that their MicroCells appear to be working now. Has anyone else tried plugging in the MicroCell and reactivating it?

We'd love to hear from you guys to determine whether there has been any improvement.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

99 of 121 (1,399 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 10:38:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

This was just posted a couple of hours ago in the TWC Forums:

Happy news on my front. TWC just called and reported they found the issue. I re-connected my cell tower and it connected right up (no need to run the alt config, worked like it did before the change). Hopefully everyone in this thread is getting the call and having the same level of sucess.

Others are starting to report success so it sounds like TWC and AT&T may have come to an agreement on what needed to be done.

This was just posted a couple of hours ago in the TWC Forums:

Happy news on my front. TWC just called and reported they found the issue. I re-connected my cell tower and it connected right up (no need to run the alt config, worked like it did before the change). Hopefully everyone in this thread is getting the call and having the same level of sucess.

Others are starting to report success so it sounds like TWC and AT&T may have come to an agreement on what needed to be done.

100 of 121 (1,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 12:41:27 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Kdude90 on Jan 7, 2014 at 1:20:01 PM

Hello! We've received an update from our Network Operations group in regards to MicroCell connectivity. An issue was detected with some of the equipment we recently upgraded in the Kentucky region. We reached out to the equipment vendor for assistance, and I'm pleased to report that we were able to implement changes to correct this issue early this morning.

At this point in time, MicroCell devices should be working normally without any additional configuration. We recommend that any customers that were affected by this issue powercycle their modem and reconnect the MicroCell.

If you are still experiencing issues, please send an email to TWCable.Help@twcable.com with the subject line "TWC Forums - AT&T MicroCell" and include your TWC account number (or modem MAC address if you don't have the account number available) as well as a good contact telephone number. Thank you again for your patience and understanding while we worked to address this issue.

Kevin T.
Time Warner Cable
Social Media Customer Care | TWC Forums Moderator

Hello! We've received an update from our Network Operations group in regards to MicroCell connectivity. An issue was detected with some of the equipment we recently upgraded in the Kentucky region. We reached out to the equipment vendor for assistance, and I'm pleased to report that we were able to implement changes to correct this issue early this morning.

At this point in time, MicroCell devices should be working normally without any additional configuration. We recommend that any customers that were affected by this issue powercycle their modem and reconnect the MicroCell.

If you are still experiencing issues, please send an email to TWCable.Help@twcable.com with the subject line "TWC Forums - AT&T MicroCell" and include your TWC account number (or modem MAC address if you don't have the account number available) as well as a good contact telephone number. Thank you again for your patience and understanding while we worked to address this issue.

Kevin T.
Time Warner Cable
Social Media Customer Care | TWC Forums Moderator

[ Edited ]
101 of 121 (1,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 12:54:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'm glad that TWC has resolved the situation for all you Mcell users in the KY area.  I would like to think that it was an equipment issue but I can't help but wonder if it was an attempt by TWC to force subscribers to abandon devices like the Mcell and use TWC's own internet telephone service.  Perhaps all the negative feedback that TWC received caused them to reconsider that business plan and re-open port 4500 but like I said earlier in this thread, I like a good conspiracy theory.

If any Mcell users in the KY area that are on TWC are still having issues after today, let them know it and post it up here and on the TWC forum.

I'm glad that TWC has resolved the situation for all you Mcell users in the KY area.  I would like to think that it was an equipment issue but I can't help but wonder if it was an attempt by TWC to force subscribers to abandon devices like the Mcell and use TWC's own internet telephone service.  Perhaps all the negative feedback that TWC received caused them to reconsider that business plan and re-open port 4500 but like I said earlier in this thread, I like a good conspiracy theory.

If any Mcell users in the KY area that are on TWC are still having issues after today, let them know it and post it up here and on the TWC forum.

102 of 121 (1,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 1:22:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Jan 7, 2014 at 1:28:36 PM

My feelings exactly. At least TWC listened and heard their customers. However, KY could have been a test area, especially after the merge with Insight, to see if they could force their customers to switch to their phone service and then blame AT&T if that didn't go well. It didn't and TWC's customers were relentless. Kudos to them for fighting the fight.

My feelings exactly. At least TWC listened and heard their customers. However, KY could have been a test area, especially after the merge with Insight, to see if they could force their customers to switch to their phone service and then blame AT&T if that didn't go well. It didn't and TWC's customers were relentless. Kudos to them for fighting the fight.

[ Edited ]
103 of 121 (1,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 3:23:22 PM
(0)
Tutor
I plugged mine in and 5 minutes later it worked. Thanks everyone for working on this. I can now have a beer and relax.
I plugged mine in and 5 minutes later it worked. Thanks everyone for working on this. I can now have a beer and relax.

104 of 121 (1,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 3:27:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

So can I. I've spent a lot of time on this running interference and trying to get info Smiley Sad

So can I. I've spent a lot of time on this running interference and trying to get info Smiley Sad

105 of 121 (1,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 9:06:03 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:20:57 PM

I received a call from TWC yesterday. It went to my voicemail so I didn't have the opportunity to ask any questions and I didn't feel like going through their phone tree and front end operators. The message simply stated that TWC had been working with AT&T and resolved the issue. They asked me to toggle power to my m-cell and re-activate it. I did so and I started working. The person who left the message made no mention of the bull hockey I was given by TWC stating that this was all AT&T's problem, etc.

[Please keep it courteous]

Signing off!

I received a call from TWC yesterday. It went to my voicemail so I didn't have the opportunity to ask any questions and I didn't feel like going through their phone tree and front end operators. The message simply stated that TWC had been working with AT&T and resolved the issue. They asked me to toggle power to my m-cell and re-activate it. I did so and I started working. The person who left the message made no mention of the bull hockey I was given by TWC stating that this was all AT&T's problem, etc.

[Please keep it courteous]

Signing off!

[ Edited ]
106 of 121 (1,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 9:24:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

To be fair to TWC, at least they listened to their customers and did something about it. I don't buy the vendor issue but it's what they did to correct the issue and not so much as to how they spin their "mistake" (to be polite and not get censored).

To be fair to TWC, at least they listened to their customers and did something about it. I don't buy the vendor issue but it's what they did to correct the issue and not so much as to how they spin their "mistake" (to be polite and not get censored).

107 of 121 (1,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 9:36:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

I too received a voicemail as stated by the others above.  I got all excited and went to activate my Microcell and AT&T's website is not working.  It started out saying there were technical issues, then the option to manage the MicroCell just completely disappeared.  I guess I'll have to keep trying back on the website.  I'll update back once I have tried to re activate.  It's a long story, but I had to disconnect the Microcell so I can't just plug it in and it work.  Yeah I know, I should have never disconnected or cancelled it on the AT&T site.  Oh well, hopefully I can re activate it soon.   

I too received a voicemail as stated by the others above.  I got all excited and went to activate my Microcell and AT&T's website is not working.  It started out saying there were technical issues, then the option to manage the MicroCell just completely disappeared.  I guess I'll have to keep trying back on the website.  I'll update back once I have tried to re activate.  It's a long story, but I had to disconnect the Microcell so I can't just plug it in and it work.  Yeah I know, I should have never disconnected or cancelled it on the AT&T site.  Oh well, hopefully I can re activate it soon.   

108 of 121 (1,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 11:25:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

TWC left me a voicemail saying that they had adjusted some of the settings on their end and that my Microcell should now be working.  After AT&T's website was back up and allowed me to activate the Microcell, it activated in about 30-45 minutes and is working again.  Thanks so much to all who have posted and worked hard to get this resolved.  I must say I am very appreciative!!!!

TWC left me a voicemail saying that they had adjusted some of the settings on their end and that my Microcell should now be working.  After AT&T's website was back up and allowed me to activate the Microcell, it activated in about 30-45 minutes and is working again.  Thanks so much to all who have posted and worked hard to get this resolved.  I must say I am very appreciative!!!!

109 of 121 (1,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 9:55:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's great news. Let us know if you have any issues.

That's great news. Let us know if you have any issues.

110 of 121 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 8:00:21 AM
(0)
Voyager

I'm located in Lexington, KY, and my microcell just came back up in the middle of last week. Both AT&T and TWC actually worked hard to resolve this issue and, once I got past the call center people reading from a script, I had very good dealings with all. My thanks! My AT&T contact, Velvry Fitzhugh, was especially persistent and tried hard to be helpful (calling me every week to note my progress or lack thereof). I give Velvry the highest marks for customer service as it should be given. Someone needs to give that woman a *big* raise and hold her up as a good example.

As the problem was explained to me, theproblem was entirely on TWC's end. It seems that TWC had upgraded its systems here in KY following the assumption of Insight Cable's infrastructure and customer base. The upgrade was intended to make TWC able to work with the remote home security marketplace (by now, probably everyone has seen the AT&T ad where the fellow remotely closes down his house from an app on his phone - the same type of thing). This meant new switches and so on. Apparently there was a problem with some of the upgrades that only affected AT&T microcells (not those of Verizon or Sprint), and when it was discovered and fixed my problem immediately went away.

For the record, this board was very helpful to me. The notes about a problem with the handshake on Port 4500 were helpful when I was dealing with both AT&T and with TWC, as it was only when I provided that information that I got my situation upgraded beyond the script-readers and got a chance to speak with more knowledable people. Once they became aware that this port was not performing correctly both companies took the trouble to figure out where the problem was. TWC was going to have me do a TRACERT (trace route) function from my computer to figure out the signal path, but the problem was resolved before I could do this.

Lesson learned: Be persistent, learn what you can and tell the representatives you're dealing with what you you've discovered. I often found I knew more about the problem than the company reps (both companies), and I was telling them information that had not been passed along from their own superiors. As readers of this forum well know, there was a lot of finger-pointing regarding where the fault lay in this incident, but it came almost entirely from those farthest down the food chain. This caused much customer frustration, needless frustration, and downright skepticism that either company really knows how to tie its own shoelaces. While I am grateful to both companies' efforts, better-informed tech service people on both ends of this problem would have made this experience more bearable while the solution was being sought after. To AT&T and TWC: LET YOUR PEOPLE KNOW!

I'm located in Lexington, KY, and my microcell just came back up in the middle of last week. Both AT&T and TWC actually worked hard to resolve this issue and, once I got past the call center people reading from a script, I had very good dealings with all. My thanks! My AT&T contact, Velvry Fitzhugh, was especially persistent and tried hard to be helpful (calling me every week to note my progress or lack thereof). I give Velvry the highest marks for customer service as it should be given. Someone needs to give that woman a *big* raise and hold her up as a good example.

As the problem was explained to me, theproblem was entirely on TWC's end. It seems that TWC had upgraded its systems here in KY following the assumption of Insight Cable's infrastructure and customer base. The upgrade was intended to make TWC able to work with the remote home security marketplace (by now, probably everyone has seen the AT&T ad where the fellow remotely closes down his house from an app on his phone - the same type of thing). This meant new switches and so on. Apparently there was a problem with some of the upgrades that only affected AT&T microcells (not those of Verizon or Sprint), and when it was discovered and fixed my problem immediately went away.

For the record, this board was very helpful to me. The notes about a problem with the handshake on Port 4500 were helpful when I was dealing with both AT&T and with TWC, as it was only when I provided that information that I got my situation upgraded beyond the script-readers and got a chance to speak with more knowledable people. Once they became aware that this port was not performing correctly both companies took the trouble to figure out where the problem was. TWC was going to have me do a TRACERT (trace route) function from my computer to figure out the signal path, but the problem was resolved before I could do this.

Lesson learned: Be persistent, learn what you can and tell the representatives you're dealing with what you you've discovered. I often found I knew more about the problem than the company reps (both companies), and I was telling them information that had not been passed along from their own superiors. As readers of this forum well know, there was a lot of finger-pointing regarding where the fault lay in this incident, but it came almost entirely from those farthest down the food chain. This caused much customer frustration, needless frustration, and downright skepticism that either company really knows how to tie its own shoelaces. While I am grateful to both companies' efforts, better-informed tech service people on both ends of this problem would have made this experience more bearable while the solution was being sought after. To AT&T and TWC: LET YOUR PEOPLE KNOW!

111 of 121 (1,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 9:00:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the post.

112 of 121 (1,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 12:07:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If the earlier statements in this thread concerning the closure of port 4500 by TWC were true then this conflicts with TWC's statement that only the Microcell was affected and not the femtocell products offered by Verizon and Sprint.  Both the Verizon Range Extender and the Sprint Airave require UDP ports 53, 500, 4500 and TCP port 52428 to be open in order to function.  The Microcell requires that TCP port 443 and UDP ports 123, 500, 4500 be open.  Port 4500 is used for voice traffic on all three devices after NAT detection.

Stfconsulting posted that he was able to VPN tunnel to NJ using port 4500 while in the affected area yet his relatives could not get the Mcell to work.  He also stated that while in the affected area he was able to use his Verizon Range Extender with no problems.

Could it be that the ports required to be open that are unique to the Mcell (123 & 443) were blocked instead? 

Port 123 is used for synchronizing clocks using Network Timing Protocol so that packet switched, variable latency networks can communicate.  This is necessary so that packets can be re-assembled in the proper order after transmittal.

Port 443 is used for HTTPS over TLS/SSL.  This uses long term public and secret keys to exchange a short term session key to encrypt the data flow between client and server.  In other words, to make sure that the Mcell is authorized to connect to the AT&T servers.  This is why it is a TCP port instead of a UDP port in order to insure that this authorization communication is received.

Unique to the Verizon and Sprint femtocells are ports 53 and 52428

Port 53 is used for DNS (Domain Name System). In general, all DNS queries are sent from a high-numbered source port (49152 or above) to destination port 53, and responses are sent from source port 53 to a high-numbered destination port.  So I assume this is used in conjunction with port 52428 using TCP to communicate authorization between user's femtocells and the servers. 

Unfortunately, I'm reaching the limit of my knowledge of networking, but it brings up questions.

If port 4500 was closed, how was Stfconsulting able to use port 4500 in the affected TWC area to VPN tunnel to NJ?

If port 4500 was closed, how was Stfconsulting able to use a Verizon range extender successfully in the affected TWC area?

Since Stfconsulting was able to use port 4500 for VPN tunneling to NJ and his Verizon Range Extender which uses port 4500 in the affected area, I would offer up an alternative theory that AT&T Mcell users weren't able to be authorized to establish communications over port 4500 because of some issue concerning using port 443 over TWC.  Since the Verizon and Sprint femtocells do not use that port, they were not affected.

I know, a lot of Kentucky windage but it explains the discrepancies of the information posted by users.

Then again, I liked my conspiracy theory more! Smiley Happy

If the earlier statements in this thread concerning the closure of port 4500 by TWC were true then this conflicts with TWC's statement that only the Microcell was affected and not the femtocell products offered by Verizon and Sprint.  Both the Verizon Range Extender and the Sprint Airave require UDP ports 53, 500, 4500 and TCP port 52428 to be open in order to function.  The Microcell requires that TCP port 443 and UDP ports 123, 500, 4500 be open.  Port 4500 is used for voice traffic on all three devices after NAT detection.

Stfconsulting posted that he was able to VPN tunnel to NJ using port 4500 while in the affected area yet his relatives could not get the Mcell to work.  He also stated that while in the affected area he was able to use his Verizon Range Extender with no problems.

Could it be that the ports required to be open that are unique to the Mcell (123 & 443) were blocked instead? 

Port 123 is used for synchronizing clocks using Network Timing Protocol so that packet switched, variable latency networks can communicate.  This is necessary so that packets can be re-assembled in the proper order after transmittal.

Port 443 is used for HTTPS over TLS/SSL.  This uses long term public and secret keys to exchange a short term session key to encrypt the data flow between client and server.  In other words, to make sure that the Mcell is authorized to connect to the AT&T servers.  This is why it is a TCP port instead of a UDP port in order to insure that this authorization communication is received.

Unique to the Verizon and Sprint femtocells are ports 53 and 52428

Port 53 is used for DNS (Domain Name System). In general, all DNS queries are sent from a high-numbered source port (49152 or above) to destination port 53, and responses are sent from source port 53 to a high-numbered destination port.  So I assume this is used in conjunction with port 52428 using TCP to communicate authorization between user's femtocells and the servers. 

Unfortunately, I'm reaching the limit of my knowledge of networking, but it brings up questions.

If port 4500 was closed, how was Stfconsulting able to use port 4500 in the affected TWC area to VPN tunnel to NJ?

If port 4500 was closed, how was Stfconsulting able to use a Verizon range extender successfully in the affected TWC area?

Since Stfconsulting was able to use port 4500 for VPN tunneling to NJ and his Verizon Range Extender which uses port 4500 in the affected area, I would offer up an alternative theory that AT&T Mcell users weren't able to be authorized to establish communications over port 4500 because of some issue concerning using port 443 over TWC.  Since the Verizon and Sprint femtocells do not use that port, they were not affected.

I know, a lot of Kentucky windage but it explains the discrepancies of the information posted by users.

Then again, I liked my conspiracy theory more! Smiley Happy

113 of 121 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 4:39:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Geez Otto.....I thought at least you'd say something about my theory. Smiley Sad

Geez Otto.....I thought at least you'd say something about my theory. Smiley Sad

114 of 121 (1,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 5:45:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:55:10 PM

Sorry. More than one paragraph and this old Ranger gets lost Smiley Sad

I think that TWC was "feeling the waters" as far as what they can get away with and corrected that after the onslaught of customer complaints. Kudos to TWC for doing that but I don't think it's over Smiley Sad

Sorry. More than one paragraph and this old Ranger gets lost Smiley Sad

I think that TWC was "feeling the waters" as far as what they can get away with and corrected that after the onslaught of customer complaints. Kudos to TWC for doing that but I don't think it's over Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]
115 of 121 (1,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 12:11:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Especially since a federal appeals court struck down the FCC's net neutrality rules a couple days ago.  ISPs will be able to do exactly what we think was going on with TWC.

Especially since a federal appeals court struck down the FCC's net neutrality rules a couple days ago.  ISPs will be able to do exactly what we think was going on with TWC.

116 of 121 (1,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 12:43:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I agree. I think it will be sometime before the consumer starts seeing an increase in their cable bills for un-resticted access to certain sights (Netlfix, Hulu +, Google, etc) but it is coming. For us, our ISP is an independent (who has been very vocal on this issue) so we may be saved the increased costs for quite awhile until they start getting hit from their upstream providers for transit costs. Eventually this will make the "free internet" just another cash cow from the greedy providers like Comcast, TWC, AT&T, Verizon etc. If fact, you can blame Verizon for starting this.

I agree. I think it will be sometime before the consumer starts seeing an increase in their cable bills for un-resticted access to certain sights (Netlfix, Hulu +, Google, etc) but it is coming. For us, our ISP is an independent (who has been very vocal on this issue) so we may be saved the increased costs for quite awhile until they start getting hit from their upstream providers for transit costs. Eventually this will make the "free internet" just another cash cow from the greedy providers like Comcast, TWC, AT&T, Verizon etc. If fact, you can blame Verizon for starting this.

117 of 121 (1,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 5:22:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What upsets me in the appeals court ruling was that the judge said that people had choices and could always go to another broadband provider if they didn't like their ISP charging premiums for certain kinds of access.  I don't know what planet he lives on but around most places there is usually only one broadband ISP.  Talk about a monopoly......

What upsets me in the appeals court ruling was that the judge said that people had choices and could always go to another broadband provider if they didn't like their ISP charging premiums for certain kinds of access.  I don't know what planet he lives on but around most places there is usually only one broadband ISP.  Talk about a monopoly......

118 of 121 (1,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 6:18:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Verizon et al have a very powerful lobby so this will just be the tip of the iceberg.

Verizon et al have a very powerful lobby so this will just be the tip of the iceberg.

119 of 121 (997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 10:56:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I guess it's a good thing I own stock in Verizon and AT&T........

I guess it's a good thing I own stock in Verizon and AT&T........

120 of 121 (989 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments