3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

Tutor

3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

I have had my Microcell for several months and it worked great.  A couple weeks ago it stopped working.  I have spent the better part of the last few days trying to fix and I need help.

Setup: Motorola SBG6580

Carrier: Time Warner Cable (TWC recently converted from Insight to TWC in Louisville)

Here is what I have done:

•Registered and reregistered

•AT&T sent me a replacement Microcell (for free thank you)

•Tested the new one with same issue (all steps but 4 activation seem to happen all lights ok minus blink bars)

• Called AT&T they helped but no fix.  They said that port 4500 is blocked

• I called Time Warner and they were no help and said the connection is what it is and cannot change it nor are they blocking ports.  If they were blocking they could not revert.

• Change the modem to bridging mode and removed NAT and only had the 3G behind (no good)

• Bought new CAble Modem (bare bones not FW, NAT or Routing) still unable to activate.

• Took the 3G to my old hous in Louisville (3 miles away) connected to TWC at that location and registered.  Still same issue of not activating.

This is driving me crazy Smiley Happy  I have been a loyal AT&T customer for years and dont want to stop service becasue of no coverage.  Can anyone help here?

Message 1 of 121 (7,706 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

After reading this thread and noting the responses people have received from TWC, I would have to agree with drake-2013 that the actions taken by TWC to close specific ports is most likely to thwart people using third-party VOIP phone services in an attempt to push users into using their own internet phone services.

Port 4500 is used for ipsec/NAT traversal (VPN tunnelling) and is required to be open for the Mcell to function.  While this port is vulnerable to trojans and remote code executions, I doubt this is the motivation behind TWC's closure of this port.  I suspect that it is more financially motivated but I like a good conspiracy theory.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 76 of 121 (1,505 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

Agreed Smiley Wink BTW, I'd like to publically thank you for all your help and support here. Muchas gracias, amigo.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 77 of 121 (1,503 Views)
ACE - Professor

No problemo!

As a side comment, any TWC customers thinking of changing from AT&T to Verizon in order to continue using TWC better make sure that the Verizon coverage in their area is adequate without the use of their "Range Extender" (Verizon equivalent to the Microcell).  The Verizon Range Extender requires UDP ports 53, 52428, 500 and 4500 to be open in order to function, so it won't work on TWC's network either.

Message 78 of 121 (1,489 Views)
ACE - Master

Nice! That's definitely going in the next update of the Guide. Thanks! Sure wish someone would get this info over to the TWC forums. I can access the forums but I can't post.

Message 79 of 121 (1,491 Views)
Voyager

Just to throw this out there with a twist, I am also having the exact same problem but my provider is cox cable. I have been working great for 2 years and then all of a sudden about 3 1/2 weeks ago it stopped working. Tried all the same steps, also talked with cox cable, Cisco and AT&T on the line at same time. Cox says port is open. I have not changed anything on my end. I even put it on the DMZ and still not working. Also got new microcell and same thing. However they did not send me a new power cord for some reason. Could be something there maybe. In any case, I also have an it back ground and have done everything possible on my end to no avail. My entire house runs on the Internet, xbox's, Apple TV, roku, pc's etc... I would expect to have some issues somewhere. I even ran tests in port 4500 and it does show open. So I am lost at this point. Hope someone gets it figured out because I have no bars with out it. Only other option is to cancel and go with local service.
Message 80 of 121 (1,471 Views)
ACE - Professor

Additional information is required.  When you say the Mcell stopped working, what do the lights on the Mcell say?  Which are solid green and which are flashing?  If flashing, green or red? 

Do you have a multi-meter?  If so, check the output of the AC power supply.  Touch the red lead to the center of the plug that goes into the Mcell and touch the black lead to the barrel of the plug.  You should see about 16 VDC with no load.  Does the AC adapter feel hot?  Specifically, does it feel hotter than the Mcell?  Normally, the AC adapter will feel warm but not as hot as the Mcell during operation.

Since you have replaced the Mcell, I would suspect your problem lies elsewhere.  Replacement Mcells do not come with another AC adapter so you may want to try another one.  Just make sure the AC adapter has the same size plug as the original and has an output of 12 VDC and 1.5 A.  If that doesn't solve your problem, then you can always return the AC adapter.

Which wiring arrangement have you been using?  Modem>Router>Mcell or Modem>Mcell>Router?  You've checked the Ethernet cables and made sure they are plugged into the correct sockets?

Have you tried assigning a static IP address to the Mcell and port-forwarding ports 123/UDP, 443/TCP, 500/ UDP and 4500 UDP?

Let's start with answers to these questions first and we'll see what support we can offer.

Message 81 of 121 (1,466 Views)
ACE - Master

Tag team help. I love it. Thanks Avedis53! The poster might want to check the Guide (link in my sig).

Message 82 of 121 (1,463 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

Hi! I'm Kevin from Time Warner Cable's Social Media Customer Care team. I ran across a link to this page while moderating the TWC Forums [http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Home-Networking/MicroCell-Not-Working-on-TimeWarner-Cable-ISP/m...]. We would like to investigate this issue, and we ask that any Kentucky-area customers still affected by this issue follow the instructions that I've added to the aforementioned thread (See post by User ID: TWC-KevinT) in order for us to do so. Thanks!

Kevin T. {Personal content removed for your safety}

Message 83 of 121 (1,429 Views)
ACE - Master

Hi Kevin. I know from our end (AT&T) there have been some very high level discussions within AT&T, and with TWC support, so this issue is not new or unknown to TWC. Hopefully TWC will bring some resolution to this problem with its customers who have been affected.

Message 84 of 121 (1,415 Views)
Highlighted

Update from LaGrange -  I run my business out of my house so had to do something.  So I had a DSL line from AT&T installed and my Microcell came on line as soon as I plugged it into the DSL.  How much more proof does TWC need.

Message 85 of 121 (1,353 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

see post below so disregard this as AT&T edited without my knowledge.

Message 86 of 121 (1,346 Views)
ACE - Professor

I would bet that TWC knows exactly what is going on and doesn't want to allow third-party VOIP solutions to be used on their network, hence closing port 4500 which is necessary for the VPN tunnelling that the AT&T Mcell and the Verizon Range Extender both use.

It isn't a matter of proof where the problem lies, I think it is evident that TWC has made an economic decision, at least in your area, to block competition to force customers like yourself to use their VOIP product.

I also don't believe that this is a security issue.  If it was, then why don't other ISPs do the same and block port 4500?  They all know that port 4500 is used for most VOIP products that require ipsec/NAT traversal.  This was a business decision by TWC and not a technical issue IMHO.

Message 87 of 121 (1,345 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Update today from TWC on AT&T Microcells not working.  Spoke with TWC Team lead level 3 tech today who told me upper management confirms their microcell signal leaving TWC and getting blocked at AT&T.  It was suggested both parties contact their “NOC”.  This isn’t working either.  TWC tech saying “at this time, after review from our network operations team and technical operations group, we believe there is nothing that can be done on TWC's end.  At this point we feel that only AT&T can resolve the issues with AT&T's Microcell on our network.”

I have also spoken with AT&T managers who have conference called with TWC techs at my house and both parties have agreed there is nothing that can be done by either company.

I received an email on 11/18/13 from AT&T Customer Care who said he would forward to his manager but nothing has been done.  See all my previous post links below as to measures I’ve already exhausted in attempting to get this resolved with no resolution in sight!

I suggest everyone email attcustomercare@att.com with the SAME subject and case # below so we can all be linked together concerning paying for microcells that don't work with TWC and still receiving inferior coverage in our area with AT&T:

SUBJECT:  _00D*****:ref  Case Number:002**** - Microcell issue still unresolved!

Chris is the AT&T, VP and GM (General Manager) for Kentucky, Indiana and Tennessee but I haven't been able find contact info for him.  TWC upper management won't do anything else and AT&T management continues to do nothing and make extra money on all the microcells purchased that don't work!!

Email I just sent to AT&T Customer Care again:

Please see email below I received today from TWC and please send to your manager and to Chris  VP,GM of Kentucky, Indiana and Tennessee.

This has gone on way too long and TWC has said it is an AT&T issue.  The blocking of the Microcell port 4500 is happening when it leaves TWC and goes to AT&T.  As a consumer, there is nothing more I can do but post this online for all your customers to see.  Perhaps if enough of us complain, something will be done; like adding more towers in the Kentucky area or simply dropping AT&T service.

I find it totally unacceptable that I  work out of my home and continue to pay the same bill every month for over a year with inferior cell phone coverage in my home which is also affecting my entire area (I live in Middletown, KY).  I’m on my 4th AT&T replacement  microcell that still doesn’t work, and I only have 1 bar in my home and continue to have calls drop continuously.  AT&T confirmed that most people in my area have microcells and paid for them (most don’t work either).  That means AT&T has made how much money off customers that still continue to receive inferior coverage!!

Sincerely,

Sandy

See all my posts about same subject:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/Microcell-green-3G-light-blinking-after-1-year-no-resolution/m...

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/3G-Microcell-stopped-working-maybe-Insight-Time-Warner-recent/...

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/MicroCell-fix-kind-of-for-me-anyway/m-p/3339963/highlight/fals...

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/Microcell-green-3G-light-blinking-after-1-year-no-resolution/m...

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Home-Networking/MicroCell-Not-Working-on-TimeWarner-Cable-ISP/m...

http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/3gmicrocell/message-id/12568#.Ur3STdJDve4

[edited for privacy]

Message 88 of 121 (1,330 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

See my response in the other TWC thread. I would suggest that everyone follow my suggestions in the first paragraph to find out what your options are for the MicroCell. Basically, from what I understand, what ever was done is a done deal. I can't post to the TWC forum but it sounds like there is a lot of finger pointing and mis-information over there as well.

As I've stated before, AT&T can't force another company to follow their VOIP requirments and it makes no sense for AT&T to block port 4500 for just that specific region. Verizon's Range Extender also requires port 4500 to be open so it sounds like the "new" TWC wants to control VOIP traffic over their network.

I just checked the TWC forum and someone posted that they switched to an AT&T DSL line, plugged in the MicroCell and it connected instantly. Hmmmm....

Message 89 of 121 (1,314 Views)
ACE - Professor

Follow the money.......your answer lies within......

Message 90 of 121 (1,292 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.