Ask a question

Posted Nov 27, 2013
12:43:46 PM
View profile
3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

I have had my Microcell for several months and it worked great.  A couple weeks ago it stopped working.  I have spent the better part of the last few days trying to fix and I need help.

Setup: Motorola SBG6580

Carrier: Time Warner Cable (TWC recently converted from Insight to TWC in Louisville)

Here is what I have done:

•Registered and reregistered

•AT&T sent me a replacement Microcell (for free thank you)

•Tested the new one with same issue (all steps but 4 activation seem to happen all lights ok minus blink bars)

• Called AT&T they helped but no fix.  They said that port 4500 is blocked

• I called Time Warner and they were no help and said the connection is what it is and cannot change it nor are they blocking ports.  If they were blocking they could not revert.

• Change the modem to bridging mode and removed NAT and only had the 3G behind (no good)

• Bought new CAble Modem (bare bones not FW, NAT or Routing) still unable to activate.

• Took the 3G to my old hous in Louisville (3 miles away) connected to TWC at that location and registered.  Still same issue of not activating.

This is driving me crazy Smiley Happy  I have been a loyal AT&T customer for years and dont want to stop service becasue of no coverage.  Can anyone help here?

120 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
View all replies
(120)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 9:42:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same exact problem.  About a week ago my AT&T 3G Microcell stopped working.  I have an Arris modem with an Apple Time Capsule router - service is 20 Mbps.  Prior to this it worked fine for about 5-6 months and I didn't change a thing with my home network.  One day while I was out of town I got a text message in the middle of the night saying that "Error 102 - the registered address does not match the actual device location.  Call AT&T for help".  It was actually on Nov. 15th at 1:22 AM.  Ever since I cannot get it to work after hours of phone calls with both AT&T and TWC.  They blame each other and I have no solution.  

I am located about 2 minutes from the Summit where 265 and 71 intersect - very close to Prospect and Ballardsville but I still have a Louisville mailing address. I too work from home and i have spent about 15+ hours troubleshooting and researching the problem and now that I have found this post it sure seems it is on either TWC's end or AT&T.  I'm going to have to ditch one of these service providers as this is screwing up my entire home office setup.  If anyone finds a solution I would be ecstatic.  

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

31 of 121 (1,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 8:25:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's being worked on, seriously. TWC is huge but all of these problems seem to be localized to the 10 mile area or so around Prospect, KY. And all of the issues started around the same time, which if I understand correctly, was around the time that TWC merged or took over Insight.

Please, PM CustomerCare (link in my sig) with what your problem is, what you have done with phone support to correct it, your account info, and most importantly, your location. Phone support does log all complaints but PM'ing CustomerCare is more direct and a level or so above the phone people.

I will copy and paste your post to the Admins so we can work on it from that end as well. It is possible that whatever TWC had to do to incorporate Insight has now made them, at least in that area, incompatible with the way the MicroCell needs to communicate to the AT&T servers. I will post any pertitnent information as soon as it becomes available to me (and I'm told I can post).

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

32 of 121 (1,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 10:20:05 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTMarianaCM on Dec 3, 2013 at 10:20:33 AM

Hello, @gress007 , @jrdavis502 , @drake-2013 , and @ritzput !

As OttoPylot suggested, we will need you to send us a private message by clicking here so we can track theses issues and get them resolved as quickly as possible.

In your message, we'll need you to provide contact information and your account information.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
33 of 121 (1,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 4:55:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sounds good - I sent them a message already.  Thanks for the input.  Hopefully we can get this fixed sooner or later.  

34 of 121 (1,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 6:25:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
Group, thanks all for responding. I was able to talk to someone at TWC and they opened a priority ticket and escalated. I explained the issue (including others) and actually found someone that has heard of this before.

it will be 24 to 48 hours before I get an update. I will keep you all posted. If they fix it I will share the ticket number so you can call in too.

35 of 121 (1,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 7:08:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

AT&T is also actively looking into this so that may be why TWC  is aware of the issue. I should be hearing something back from the Admins as well so as soon as I get any information, I'll post it.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

36 of 121 (1,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 5:56:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

This is to everyone who has posted this a message on this thread, is ready this thread, owns an AT&T microcell and has TWC for an ISP, or is thinking about buying an AT&T microcell and has TWC for an ISP:

I got a call from a tech support rep with AT&T yesterday. They had to call me back later in the day when I was home. The person who called me at home told me within 30 seconds of starting the conversation that there's nothing AT&T can do because its TWC's problem. I asked him to tell me what they (TWC) are doing that makes the microcell not function. He couldn't tell me. I asked him how he can say its TWC's fault if he doesn't know what they are doing. He said that AT&T has done everything they can so therefore, it must be TWC's fault. I FIND THIS A REDICULOUS EXPLANATION! I told him I realized that AT&T was giving up on finding a solution to the problem and asked for reimbursement of the cost of the microcell and I would give the microcell back. They refused to do this. I was handed off to a manager who has obviously been to one-too-many customer soft skills training courses and not enough technical skills training courses. She basically told me the same thing. She recommended trying to sell the mcell online. She made some other rediculous comments but since they really aren't related to the mcell problem I'll leave them out of this post.

I'm going to call TWC tonight and go over everything with them. If that doesn't work I'm done. I will be known as a FORMER AT&T customer. I'm amazed at the poor response. Dave Ramsey often refers to businesses (generically) have customer disservice departments. This experience underscores that comment.

So, if you have an AT&T mcell and TWC internet it doesn't look good. If you have been able to find a solution I'm all ears. I can be reached at rwademckiney@gmail.com. If you're thinking about getting a mcell to resolve poor at&t coverage and you have TWC for an isp, I recommend you don't. I'd hate for you to waste $200 and a whole bunch of time.

If TWC resolves the issue I will eat crow and post an update here.

Good luck to everyone.

37 of 121 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 8:44:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have an email out to the Admins on the TWC issue and am waiting a response. From what I've been told this is indeed a TWC issue for the KY areas affected. It possibly has something to do with the way they had to configure their network after the Insight merger and how they move VOIP calls across their network to AT&T's. AT&T has little conrol over how another network manages it's traffic. It's totally up to the originating network if they want to comply with another network's requirments. The odd thing is that TWC is huge, and I'm sure there are other MicroCell customers in other areas of the country and we haven't seen any issues reported from them so it appears to be localized to that one MicroCell Service Area in KY.

Unfortunatley, a lot of the technical information on outages etc are not shared with the phone support group, which I think is a big problem. But that's a management decision. So it's not uncommon for support to say I don't know because that's the truth, nobody has told them the technical reasons. If I hear anything back from the Admins, I will post it.

38 of 121 (1,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 1:30:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Everyone please post in the TWC cable forums also to start to build a ground swell there also.

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Home-Networking/MicroCell-Not-Working-on-TimeWarner-Cable-ISP/m-p/12739#U12739

39 of 121 (1,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 1:32:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's not a bad idea. But it wouldn't surprise me that you'll get a lot of AT&T-haters there posting just to post.

40 of 121 (1,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 4:34:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just posted to TWC forum also.

41 of 121 (1,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 5:13:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have talked to TWC on my ticket is now escalated to the Restoration Team.  They said I should hear back in the next 24-72 hours.  But I will call back tomorrow night Smiley Happy

42 of 121 (1,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 6:18:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I forwarded that link to the Admins so we'll see what happens.

43 of 121 (1,203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 5:50:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

I called TWC last night. I managed to conference in a rep from AT&T's microcell team as well. It took some effort. TWC  has also escalated my issue with TWC's NOC. They're supposed to contact me in 24-72 hrs. which will be Saturday evening (for 72 hrs) so I suspect it'll be next week.

I'll post on TWC's forums.

44 of 121 (1,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 8:19:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Great! Thanks for pushing TWC from the customer side. I'll post if I hear anything from the Admins and please let us know what happens from your end.

45 of 121 (1,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 8:14:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

Tick Tock.

As time keeps moving and this issue is not resolved I ask that people don't give up and keep calling and posting.   It is just going to take getting to the right guy at TWC to get this fixed.  Probably with a few key strokes.  Lets keep the wheel squeaky so we are heard.  Both here and at TWC.

Thanks

46 of 121 (1,137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 8:44:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm not giving up from my end with the Admins.

47 of 121 (1,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 9:11:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem and after a conference call yesterday with AT&T Engineer out of Oklahoma and Time Warner tier 3 in Canton Ohio, basically came down to TW saying sorry can't help you. My ATT ticket has been open since 11/22 and have been making numerous calls to both TW and AT&T.  I find it hard to rationalize how TW can say they can not run a trace on their network to see where traffic on port 4500 is going. The problem is the authentication coming back to the microcell. When the cell fires up it send out a request on IPSec 500 to the 12.202.X.X AT&T server basically announcing I am here please authenticate and establish a tunnel. The server sends a response back on 4500 with the handshake and this is the part that is failing and not making it back to the cell.  I would suggest AT&T vendor management contact TW and put some pressure on them, otherwise they need to put a disclaimer on the 3G that it will not work in this area.

48 of 121 (1,121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 9:22:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good info. Thanks for the post. I've pasted your post (without identifiers) into a PM to the Admins so they can read what actual users are being told.

49 of 121 (1,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 12:24:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Are any AT&T Microcells working on TWC's network ???

50 of 121 (1,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 1:03:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's the question I posed to the Admin when the problem first appeard around the Prospect, KY area sometime last week. If there are any other TWC/MicroCells having issues, we haven't seen them reported here, unless I missed one. Seems to be related to the merger with Insight but I don't know how extensive the coverage of the Insight network was. Unless it's publically repoted in the forums, AT&T won't divulge any network issues just like any other provider.

51 of 121 (1,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 6:18:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

I talked to TWC and they said that I need to open my ports on my router but they cannot help as it is my modem.  So today I went over to thier store off Hubbard Ln and Westport to pick up one of thier modems.  I plugged it in and guess what, still does not work - I called them and they said they cannot open the ports on my modem for safety concerns.  This is just crazy.

So anyway after talking to the rep he mentioned there has been alot of calls and that they are aware of the issue and have a ticket open up to see how to resolve, as he said many people have been calling in about it. 

I will let you know where I get - also I have ordered a seperate ATT DSL connection to see if it works over thier DSL.  I am guessing it will

52 of 121 (1,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 6:19:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

I talked to TWC and they said that I need to open my ports on my router but they cannot help as it is my modem.  So today I went over to thier store off Hubbard Ln and Westport to pick up one of thier modems.  I plugged it in and guess what, still does not work - I called them and they said they cannot open the ports on my modem for safety concerns.  This is just crazy.

So anyway after talking to the rep he mentioned there has been alot of calls and that they are aware of the issue and have a ticket open up to see how to resolve, as he said many people have been calling in about it. 

I will let you know where I get - also I have ordered a seperate ATT DSL connection to see if it works over thier DSL.

53 of 121 (1,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 6:53:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't understand what TWC means that they can not open the ports on their network. There's nothing magical about ports 123, 443, 500, and 4500. Most ISP's that I am aware of have them open by default. Do you have a combo router/modem (gateway). Maybe that's what they mean. If they mean it's on your end, then I'd get a separate router, put their gateway in bridge mode, and setup port forwarding with the router.

My connection is DSL but my gateway is set to bridge mode and I use an Apple Extreme Base Station as my router and have it set to port forward the above ports to the MicroCell which I've assigned a static IP address to. However, if your MicroCell worked before and developed problems after the TWC/Insight merge, TWC has screwed something up.

54 of 121 (1,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 1:46:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thats not true. I have been using TWC for the last few years with no problem until now. The funny thing is that the microcell wont work with att uverse or just dsl. However in the last week the microcell has stopped working. Its the microcell, not the cable.

55 of 121 (1,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 1:49:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

And I am in San Diego

56 of 121 (1,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 8:18:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:21:40 AM

You are the first reported TWC user with issues outside of KY. The MicroCell works fine on AT&T DSL and other providers. Mine hasn't had any issues at all with out DSL provider. The U-verse issue could be with the gateway/router you were provided (some work better than others depeding on the type of U-verse you had). TWC made some changes a couple of weeks ago and those changes could be starting to propagate throughout their system.

[ Edited ]
57 of 121 (1,009 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 12:27:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

I called TWC today. I had not heard back from anyone at TWC since I called them a week ago. It was the call last week that I was told by TWC that my issue would be escalated to their Network Operations Center. Anyway, the first person I spoke with was a level 2 tech support rep. He told me my escalation had been closed because it was a known issue. He said that the ports were closed by Insight and no change had been decided since the acquisition by TWC. I told him that didn't make sense. The microcell was working when the ISP was Insight. He then stated that the ports were closed by TWC's security policy. Later in the conversation he said the reason the microcell wasn't working because of an update that TWC rolled out last month. So, in essence, the person I spoke with at TWC didn't really know what was going on. 3 different explanations in the same conversation??? I asked to speak to a supervisor but had to hang up because of time. I called back later and asked to speak to a supervisor immediately. The supervisor reopened by issue so that I would get a call-back from someone who knows what the heck is going on.

I have little to no confidence that TWC is going to fix this. I think they are blowing us off. Does anyone recommend a high-speed isp in the Metro-Louisville/Oldham County area?

58 of 121 (932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 12:46:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

AT&T should be coming out with a statement very soon about the TWC issues but I think what you were told by TWC is probably close to accurate.

59 of 121 (926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2013 8:31:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
Great news! (not really). Received a call from TWC and they said ATT made a firmware upgrade in the cell towers (or microcell unsure as the person didn't really know) that makes it incomparable on the twc network.

they said they talked to att and att confirmed the upgrade. The person from twc could not tell me specifics of why it is not compatible.

I think I am just giving up. This seems it won't be solved and I am exhausted at the finger pointing and the mid-level trouble shooting a vagueness from both sides.

I will now explore other options for service. Thanks all for posting, as I hoped the crowd sourcing to support would help.

60 of 121 (859 Views)