3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

Highlighted
Tutor

3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

I have had my Microcell for several months and it worked great.  A couple weeks ago it stopped working.  I have spent the better part of the last few days trying to fix and I need help.

Setup: Motorola SBG6580

Carrier: Time Warner Cable (TWC recently converted from Insight to TWC in Louisville)

Here is what I have done:

•Registered and reregistered

•AT&T sent me a replacement Microcell (for free thank you)

•Tested the new one with same issue (all steps but 4 activation seem to happen all lights ok minus blink bars)

• Called AT&T they helped but no fix.  They said that port 4500 is blocked

• I called Time Warner and they were no help and said the connection is what it is and cannot change it nor are they blocking ports.  If they were blocking they could not revert.

• Change the modem to bridging mode and removed NAT and only had the 3G behind (no good)

• Bought new CAble Modem (bare bones not FW, NAT or Routing) still unable to activate.

• Took the 3G to my old hous in Louisville (3 miles away) connected to TWC at that location and registered.  Still same issue of not activating.

This is driving me crazy Smiley Happy  I have been a loyal AT&T customer for years and dont want to stop service becasue of no coverage.  Can anyone help here?

Message 1 of 121
ACE - Master

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

Port 4500 has to be open for the MicroCell to work correctly (see the link in my sig to the Guide). This is a requirement for AT&T's VOIP service. Most, but not all, ISPs do not block port 4500. I have seen TWC issues like this before. AT&T can not open the port so if TWC is positive that they aren't blocking any ports, then it could be an upstream switch issue in which TWC will have to investigate it. You might want to call AT&T support back and ask them to check to see if you can get to port 4500. If you can't, then that's two separate support calls to AT&T with the same results. That points back to the ISP.

I'd try a Priority Connection which is connecting the MicroCell directly to the gateway. That by-passes the router takes router issues out of the equation.

Did your problems start once you switched from Insight to TWC? I imagine that you didn't make any big changes other than basic routing information.

You might want to try a hard reset (holding in the reset button on the back of the MicroCell for about 30 seconds). That completely resets the memory and registers in the MicroCell and maybe something got messed up when you switched ISPs. The MicroCell will go thru the complete Initialization process and that may be all that is needed.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 121

Re: 3G Microcell stopped working (maybe Insight/Time Warner recent merger in Kentucky)

I work in IT and tried for hours to get this resolved for my wife's aunt and uncle. Went thru the same exact troubleshooting steps. They are located in Prospect, KY. I was using an IPSEC based VPN since I arrived in KY earlier this week with no issues. Even with the Microcell attached directly to the cable modem I cannot get the 3G light to go solid. ATT was nice enough to send a replacement to us also however still in the same place. It is hard to believe that something is blocked on the TW / Insight network however there is nothing else we can really do. They have a ARRIS TM602G modem which is nothing fancy. They have zero cell service without the Microcell so I was really hoping to fix this for them. Glad that we are not the only one in this boat. I guess we need to put more pressure on tier 2 at Insight to see if we can get them to escalate the problem further.

Message 3 of 121
ACE - Master

Yeah, this is sounding more and more like a TWC/Insight issue, especially if there is a blocked port 4500 somewhere. Not much AT&T can do.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 121

Yeah one of the more bizzare issue that I have seen lately. If you turn on the loggin on the firewall and plug the microcell into it you can see the outbound connections via IPSEC to ATT servers. Port 4500 is definetly open to the outside because I am using it to build a VPN back to our office in NJ. I completed a trace route to the ATT server that the microcell is using and there does not seem to be any issues there. Too bad there is no way to get verbose logging from the Microcell on the consumer side.

Message 5 of 121
ACE - Master

Hmmm, sounds like something along the way is interfering with the communication. Your IT skills are a few pay grades above mine Smiley Wink so I don't know how much help I can be on this. Have you read thru the Guide? Maybe there's something in there that will give you an idea of where to go given your background.

This is the second instance with TWC/InSight in the Ky area so maybe it's just a glitch in their system somewhere that will work itself out?

Message 6 of 121

Your guide is about as comprehensive as it gets. Smiley Happy Read that over a couple of times. Guess we can call Insight today / tomorrow and put more pressure on them. Going to be a bit of a losing battle. 

Message 7 of 121
ACE - Master

It seems that AT&T could look into their VOIP (MicroCell) service and see if there is anything that needs to be updated/reconfigured to make it a little more compatible with the apparent ever changing ISP world but I guess that's more difficult than it sounds. I do try to update the Guide when I can but the next update will probably just have some info relating to U-verse (types of service and recommended gateways). Let us know what happens. It might be useful to others. Good luck.

Message 8 of 121
Contributor

Living in Oldham County here.....My microcell stopped working last week as well.  I've received a replacement from AT&T, have tried priority connection, talked with AT&T support several times, and talked to TWC at least 3 times.   No one is able to give a good explanation of why the microcell is not working.  To me, it seems like TWC made a change.    The guy on AT&T said he has received several calls about TWC.    We're at wits end here with no one to talk to about how to fix this......

Message 9 of 121
ACE - Master

Is Oldham County in KY? If it is, it sounds like a failed, or failing switch on the TWC side that is causing difficulties in your area. It's possible that there could be some kind of MicroCell Service Area outage (as it seems to be localized to the KY area) but it's hard to determine that with so little information. If the three posters above in KY can post their counties, I'll send that info to the Admins on Monday and see if they can determine if it's TWC or AT&T. My feeling is that it's TWC because it appears that they recently made some sort of change (merger?). However if it is TWC, there's nothing that AT&T can do so TWC will have to step up to the plate and check their backend to see what's going on. In the meantime, send a support request to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your problem, what you've done, what TWC/InSight has done, your account information and most importantly, your location.

Message 10 of 121
Tutor

Yes all three people posting are within 10 miles of each other. I have also tested at other twc sites and have the same result. If this does not get fixes I will have to change wireless providers as only twc come to my house.

I have replaces modems, tested at multiple twc locations and tried multiple microcells.

I am in prospect kentucky
Message 11 of 121
ACE - Master

This is sounding more and more like TWC/InSight has screwed the pooch on whatever they did for the merger. Still, send your information to CustomerCare so the documentation process can start. All calls are documented but it never hurts to have that "paper trail". I'll send an email to the Admins on Monday as well to followup. No guarantees that it will resolve the issue but you never know.

Message 12 of 121

Well I am back in NJ now however I gave my wife's uncle the thread info on this. BTW while we were there our Verizon microcell worked without issue. That is what baffles me the most about this. Hopefully someone can get to tier 2-3 at TWC and have them dig deeper. 

Message 13 of 121
ACE - Master

VZ has a different technology which may be more compatible with whatever TWC did.

Message 14 of 121

Here's another Oldham County resident experiencing the same problem. My m-cell stopped working on 11/17 after about 8 months of mediocre service (I have to cycle power to the thing at least once a week). Anyway, I went through a number of procedures at the request of AT&T service. Wiring confuration change where the m-cell is connected directly to the cable modem, shutting off the modem, router, and m-cell that starting them up in that order, deleting then re-connecting the m-cell to my at&t account, called TWC and verified that the necessary ports were opened, check my network speed, exchanged the m-cell (twice), and checked the configuration of my router.

By the way, I'm in Ballardsville.

Message 15 of 121
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support