3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

[ Edited ]

I have been working on this issues since installation of microcell and UVerse in newly built condo.  The probelm is that at least on a daily basis there are times that one of our cellphones not able to receive nor initiate a new call.  In many cases if a call is initiated, although we get good audio, parties on other end cannot hear or at least understand us.

Our environment: 

- Microcell is registered and has all green lights.

- 2 cellphones (iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s currently - but had same issue from upgrading

from an iPhone 4 to the 5s)

- Motorola NVG589 router

- Not certain on switch/configuration inside of the network interface box

- Installation is in a lowrise condo - with high e-glass etc. so little to know signal

pentrates the building yet have very strong signal on deck/balcony

I have worked this issue with Uverse and Mobility support teams (voice and chat) and tried the following:

- Deleted / re-regisered microcell mutliple times

- Physically moved the microcell to a different room that required uverse team to come out and add

switch turn out port in office

- Our phones are a iPhone 5 and a 5s - we have also tried disabling the LTE service

- Per input from mobiity support turn off any handoff form AT&T network / to microcell

- Physical microcell has been replaced

- Configured router to open up appropriate ports for microcell

- Ran speed test getting 12 Mbps Up and 1.46 Down

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 74 (2,162 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

Just let it go then and see what happens.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 74 (710 Views)

Well today have the same red light and intermittently having issues with one of the cellphones not seeing linked ot the mcell.
Message 32 of 74 (700 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Most strange. Which phone is listed as the primary phone (the phone number that the account is tied to), the one that can connect most of the time or the one that has the issues, and is it the 5 or the 5S?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 74 (696 Views)

The primary phone is the 5.  The 5s seems to have the most issues - but today the issue was on the 5.  It did resolve when I left the condo and then returned. 

Message 34 of 74 (690 Views)
ACE - Master

The 5s is still relatively new so it's not uncommon for newly released phones to have initial incompatibilites with the MicroCell. Sometimes AT&T can do some tweaking on their end if you call support and ask. By working outside of the condo I assume that means when you are outside of the MicroCell range and are using a local tower. If you can, try just using the 5 (primary phone) by taking the 5s off of the Approved User list (guest list) and see how that works. We might want to deal with one phone at a time to see if it is phone related or your ISP connection. You are still connected directly to the router with the 25' ethernet cable correct?

Message 35 of 74 (682 Views)

Hi Otto - still directly connected by the 50' cable.  Let me figure out a good time to remove the 5s - likely tomorrow. 

Thanks

Message 36 of 74 (679 Views)
ACE - Master

Ahh, 50', sorry. I don't remember what the useable length of ethernet cable is but 50' shouldn't cause you any problems... any chance of shortening that length other than using the house wiring or a switch?

Message 37 of 74 (669 Views)

Not really - I a custom length might be 35' but they only sell 25 and 50...

Unless I could talk Uverse into moving the modem into the office vs. living room. But then they'd need to redo the TV setup too (I believe). Currently router is in living room along with DVR,etc.
Message 38 of 74 (669 Views)
ACE - Professor

When used for 10/100/1000 BASE-T, the maximum allowed length of a Cat 6 cable is 100 meters or 328 feet. This consists of 90 meters (300 ft) of solid "horizontal" cabling between the patch panel and the wall jack, plus 10 meters (33 ft) of stranded patch cable between each jack and the attached device. Since stranded cable has higher attenuation than solid cable, exceeding 10 meters of patch cabling will reduce the permissible length of horizontal cable.

In other words, the shorter the connecting cable, the better, especially if it is stranded cable.  I would think a 50 foot direct connection between the router and the Mcell would fall within acceptable guidelines, even with stranded cable.

If you don't want to move the gateway, you could always use a repeater....or dare I say it.....Powerline adapters.

Message 39 of 74 (667 Views)

Now down to just having the iPhone 5 connected.

Currently the 5 is connected.
Message 40 of 74 (659 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Ok. Keep us informed.

There is another poster who is having call issues with his new iPhone 5s so it could be that the new iPhones may require some tweaking on the AT&T side. Just a guess but with earlier versions of the iPhone AT&T had to make some account modifications (configs) to get some of them to work trouble-free. I have an iPhone 5 with no issues at all but I think we have the same iOS.

Message 41 of 74 (647 Views)

Well here's an update - I kept the 5s off from Saturday night till Monday morning - and had no further issues, but I added the 5s sback on Monday morning. We had no issues Monday-Thursday morning.

Thursday morning neither phone had a microcell connection (first time this occurred). Since the mcell has been flashing red bars thru this whole time - I decided it was a good time to do the poweroff - hard reset. After doing that, both phones have service and the red bars are back.
Message 42 of 74 (616 Views)
ACE - Master

The flashing red 3G light is not a good sign. If you've done a hard reset (turn off the power to the MicroCell, hold in the reset button, turn the MicroCell back on, and continue holding the reset button for about 30 seconds) that should set all memory and registers back to default and force the MicroCell to go thru the Initial Activation process which, among other things,  checks for updates and applies them. There could be a hardware/system failure somewhere that the MicroCell can't address properly hence the flashing red 3G light. Service may work but the unit still thinks something is wrong.

Message 43 of 74 (609 Views)
ACE - Professor

I would offer that a persistent red flashing 3G light that can't be cleared by reset or power cycle is indicating that the Mcell is faulty.

Message 44 of 74 (605 Views)
ACE - Master

Agreed.

Message 45 of 74 (602 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.