Helpful Links

3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

I have been working on this issues since installation of microcell and UVerse in newly built condo.  The probelm is that at least on a daily basis there are times that one of our cellphones not able to receive nor initiate a new call.  In many cases if a call is initiated, although we get good audio, parties on other end cannot hear or at least understand us.

Our environment: 

- Microcell is registered and has all green lights.

- 2 cellphones (iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s currently - but had same issue from upgrading

from an iPhone 4 to the 5s)

- Motorola NVG589 router

- Not certain on switch/configuration inside of the network interface box

- Installation is in a lowrise condo - with high e-glass etc. so little to know signal

pentrates the building yet have very strong signal on deck/balcony

I have worked this issue with Uverse and Mobility support teams (voice and chat) and tried the following:

- Deleted / re-regisered microcell mutliple times

- Physically moved the microcell to a different room that required uverse team to come out and add

switch turn out port in office

- Our phones are a iPhone 5 and a 5s - we have also tried disabling the LTE service

- Per input from mobiity support turn off any handoff form AT&T network / to microcell

- Physical microcell has been replaced

- Configured router to open up appropriate ports for microcell

- Ran speed test getting 12 Mbps Up and 1.46 Down

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 74
ACE - Master

Re: 3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

Yes, please do.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 74

So after a pretty full day have not had an issue in call quality and service availability. But now the 3G bars are blinking red. My calls are working fine with good audio quality.

Do I need to take any action?
Message 17 of 74
ACE - Master

The blinking red 3G usually means an update by AT&T was attempted but the unit didn't properly reset itself afterwards so now it thinks it's a hardware failure. A hard reset puts the MicroCell back in basically a factory default so when it restarts, it goes thru the complete Initial Activation procedure which will update the MicroCell if there are any updates available. Were the MicroCell's 3G light solid green after you reset it or have they been blinking red ever since. I hate to tell you to power cycle it (not a hard reset) if your calls are ok (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) but the blinking red 3G light would drive me crazy and I don't know what it would do overtime. You might want to give it a couple of days in its present state and see how  your incoming/outgoing calls go. If they are fine then at least you know that you will have to use a direct connection from MicroCell to router and not use the wall jacks. After that, you might want to consider just power cycling the MicroCell to see if activation works again and the blinking red 3G lights turn solid green.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 74
ACE - Professor

I've seen this in the past and a quick power cycle will make the flashing red 3G light go away....I'll bet Otto's life on it.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Message 19 of 74
ACE - Master

Smiley Surprised

Message 20 of 74

Well tried the quick Power Cycle then my one of our two phones had no signal and the red flashing flight continued so I did the big reset again.................

Hoping it's ready to go in the morning.
Message 21 of 74
ACE - Master

Mmmm, I would've waited a day or two to make sure all was well. My guess is that it has something to do with your inside wiring.

Now-a-days when homes/condos are built with RJ-45 jacks in the wall, you never know how they were installed. Most times, it's the cheapest way. There could be a wallboard nail that clipped the wire or a major bend in the wire. Fine for internet, most of the time, but problematic for VoIP.

Message 22 of 74

Well after the hard reset (i.e. holding button on back of m-cell for 30+ seconds), came back up continuing to have red bars - but phone calls seem to be working.
Message 23 of 74
ACE - Master

I would just let it go for a few days then and see how it performs. For some reason, the MicroCell thinks it has a problem. Something didn't get cleared from one of its registers even after a hard reset. You may have to do that again but I'd wait. Let us know how it goes.

Message 24 of 74
ACE - Professor

Regarding a hard reset, is it better to power down the Mcell, press the hard reset and then power up or just press the hard reset while the Mcell is still powered up?  I've done both but I don't know if one way is better than the other......

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Message 25 of 74
ACE - Master

When I've had to do a hard reset, I've always turned off the MicroCell (mine is on a surge protector so it's easy), held in the reset button, and then powered back up.

Message 26 of 74
ACE - Professor

I wonder if the OP did that..........

Message 27 of 74
ACE - Master

Maybe he'll report back and let us know.

Message 28 of 74

I did the reset with the unit powered on - I  had thought that was the right procedure.  Right now it's been working (and flashing red bars) all day, so I haven't touched it.....

Thanks again for all your help.

Message 29 of 74

Sorry just accidentally hit the accepted solution button.
Message 30 of 74
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support