Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 15, 2014
8:58:14 AM
3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support
Edited by debbiekeith4105 on Jan 15, 2014 at 9:10:55 AM

I have been working on this issues since installation of microcell and UVerse in newly built condo.  The probelm is that at least on a daily basis there are times that one of our cellphones not able to receive nor initiate a new call.  In many cases if a call is initiated, although we get good audio, parties on other end cannot hear or at least understand us.

Our environment: 

- Microcell is registered and has all green lights.

- 2 cellphones (iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s currently - but had same issue from upgrading

from an iPhone 4 to the 5s)

- Motorola NVG589 router

- Not certain on switch/configuration inside of the network interface box

- Installation is in a lowrise condo - with high e-glass etc. so little to know signal

pentrates the building yet have very strong signal on deck/balcony

I have worked this issue with Uverse and Mobility support teams (voice and chat) and tried the following:

- Deleted / re-regisered microcell mutliple times

- Physically moved the microcell to a different room that required uverse team to come out and add

switch turn out port in office

- Our phones are a iPhone 5 and a 5s - we have also tried disabling the LTE service

- Per input from mobiity support turn off any handoff form AT&T network / to microcell

- Physical microcell has been replaced

- Configured router to open up appropriate ports for microcell

- Ran speed test getting 12 Mbps Up and 1.46 Down

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

I have been working on this issues since installation of microcell and UVerse in newly built condo.  The probelm is that at least on a daily basis there are times that one of our cellphones not able to receive nor initiate a new call.  In many cases if a call is initiated, although we get good audio, parties on other end cannot hear or at least understand us.

Our environment: 

- Microcell is registered and has all green lights.

- 2 cellphones (iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s currently - but had same issue from upgrading

from an iPhone 4 to the 5s)

- Motorola NVG589 router

- Not certain on switch/configuration inside of the network interface box

- Installation is in a lowrise condo - with high e-glass etc. so little to know signal

pentrates the building yet have very strong signal on deck/balcony

I have worked this issue with Uverse and Mobility support teams (voice and chat) and tried the following:

- Deleted / re-regisered microcell mutliple times

- Physically moved the microcell to a different room that required uverse team to come out and add

switch turn out port in office

- Our phones are a iPhone 5 and a 5s - we have also tried disabling the LTE service

- Per input from mobiity support turn off any handoff form AT&T network / to microcell

- Physical microcell has been replaced

- Configured router to open up appropriate ports for microcell

- Ran speed test getting 12 Mbps Up and 1.46 Down

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

[ Edited ]
73 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(73)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 8:40:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Just let it go then and see what happens.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Just let it go then and see what happens.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

31 of 74 (676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 9:51:54 AM
(0)
Teacher
Well today have the same red light and intermittently having issues with one of the cellphones not seeing linked ot the mcell.
Well today have the same red light and intermittently having issues with one of the cellphones not seeing linked ot the mcell.

32 of 74 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 11:49:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:54:40 AM

Most strange. Which phone is listed as the primary phone (the phone number that the account is tied to), the one that can connect most of the time or the one that has the issues, and is it the 5 or the 5S?

Most strange. Which phone is listed as the primary phone (the phone number that the account is tied to), the one that can connect most of the time or the one that has the issues, and is it the 5 or the 5S?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
33 of 74 (662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:31:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

The primary phone is the 5.  The 5s seems to have the most issues - but today the issue was on the 5.  It did resolve when I left the condo and then returned. 

The primary phone is the 5.  The 5s seems to have the most issues - but today the issue was on the 5.  It did resolve when I left the condo and then returned. 

34 of 74 (656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:11:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The 5s is still relatively new so it's not uncommon for newly released phones to have initial incompatibilites with the MicroCell. Sometimes AT&T can do some tweaking on their end if you call support and ask. By working outside of the condo I assume that means when you are outside of the MicroCell range and are using a local tower. If you can, try just using the 5 (primary phone) by taking the 5s off of the Approved User list (guest list) and see how that works. We might want to deal with one phone at a time to see if it is phone related or your ISP connection. You are still connected directly to the router with the 25' ethernet cable correct?

The 5s is still relatively new so it's not uncommon for newly released phones to have initial incompatibilites with the MicroCell. Sometimes AT&T can do some tweaking on their end if you call support and ask. By working outside of the condo I assume that means when you are outside of the MicroCell range and are using a local tower. If you can, try just using the 5 (primary phone) by taking the 5s off of the Approved User list (guest list) and see how that works. We might want to deal with one phone at a time to see if it is phone related or your ISP connection. You are still connected directly to the router with the 25' ethernet cable correct?

35 of 74 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:29:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hi Otto - still directly connected by the 50' cable.  Let me figure out a good time to remove the 5s - likely tomorrow. 

Thanks

Hi Otto - still directly connected by the 50' cable.  Let me figure out a good time to remove the 5s - likely tomorrow. 

Thanks

36 of 74 (645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 4:21:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ahh, 50', sorry. I don't remember what the useable length of ethernet cable is but 50' shouldn't cause you any problems... any chance of shortening that length other than using the house wiring or a switch?

Ahh, 50', sorry. I don't remember what the useable length of ethernet cable is but 50' shouldn't cause you any problems... any chance of shortening that length other than using the house wiring or a switch?

37 of 74 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 4:37:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
Not really - I a custom length might be 35' but they only sell 25 and 50...

Unless I could talk Uverse into moving the modem into the office vs. living room. But then they'd need to redo the TV setup too (I believe). Currently router is in living room along with DVR,etc.
Not really - I a custom length might be 35' but they only sell 25 and 50...

Unless I could talk Uverse into moving the modem into the office vs. living room. But then they'd need to redo the TV setup too (I believe). Currently router is in living room along with DVR,etc.

38 of 74 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 5:25:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

When used for 10/100/1000 BASE-T, the maximum allowed length of a Cat 6 cable is 100 meters or 328 feet. This consists of 90 meters (300 ft) of solid "horizontal" cabling between the patch panel and the wall jack, plus 10 meters (33 ft) of stranded patch cable between each jack and the attached device. Since stranded cable has higher attenuation than solid cable, exceeding 10 meters of patch cabling will reduce the permissible length of horizontal cable.

In other words, the shorter the connecting cable, the better, especially if it is stranded cable.  I would think a 50 foot direct connection between the router and the Mcell would fall within acceptable guidelines, even with stranded cable.

If you don't want to move the gateway, you could always use a repeater....or dare I say it.....Powerline adapters.

When used for 10/100/1000 BASE-T, the maximum allowed length of a Cat 6 cable is 100 meters or 328 feet. This consists of 90 meters (300 ft) of solid "horizontal" cabling between the patch panel and the wall jack, plus 10 meters (33 ft) of stranded patch cable between each jack and the attached device. Since stranded cable has higher attenuation than solid cable, exceeding 10 meters of patch cabling will reduce the permissible length of horizontal cable.

In other words, the shorter the connecting cable, the better, especially if it is stranded cable.  I would think a 50 foot direct connection between the router and the Mcell would fall within acceptable guidelines, even with stranded cable.

If you don't want to move the gateway, you could always use a repeater....or dare I say it.....Powerline adapters.

39 of 74 (633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 8:48:59 PM
(0)
Teacher
Now down to just having the iPhone 5 connected.

Currently the 5 is connected.
Now down to just having the iPhone 5 connected.

Currently the 5 is connected.

40 of 74 (625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 9:08:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Jan 19, 2014 at 9:19:17 AM

Ok. Keep us informed.

There is another poster who is having call issues with his new iPhone 5s so it could be that the new iPhones may require some tweaking on the AT&T side. Just a guess but with earlier versions of the iPhone AT&T had to make some account modifications (configs) to get some of them to work trouble-free. I have an iPhone 5 with no issues at all but I think we have the same iOS.

Ok. Keep us informed.

There is another poster who is having call issues with his new iPhone 5s so it could be that the new iPhones may require some tweaking on the AT&T side. Just a guess but with earlier versions of the iPhone AT&T had to make some account modifications (configs) to get some of them to work trouble-free. I have an iPhone 5 with no issues at all but I think we have the same iOS.

[ Edited ]
41 of 74 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 6:18:57 AM
(0)
Teacher
Well here's an update - I kept the 5s off from Saturday night till Monday morning - and had no further issues, but I added the 5s sback on Monday morning. We had no issues Monday-Thursday morning.

Thursday morning neither phone had a microcell connection (first time this occurred). Since the mcell has been flashing red bars thru this whole time - I decided it was a good time to do the poweroff - hard reset. After doing that, both phones have service and the red bars are back.
Well here's an update - I kept the 5s off from Saturday night till Monday morning - and had no further issues, but I added the 5s sback on Monday morning. We had no issues Monday-Thursday morning.

Thursday morning neither phone had a microcell connection (first time this occurred). Since the mcell has been flashing red bars thru this whole time - I decided it was a good time to do the poweroff - hard reset. After doing that, both phones have service and the red bars are back.

42 of 74 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 9:56:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The flashing red 3G light is not a good sign. If you've done a hard reset (turn off the power to the MicroCell, hold in the reset button, turn the MicroCell back on, and continue holding the reset button for about 30 seconds) that should set all memory and registers back to default and force the MicroCell to go thru the Initial Activation process which, among other things,  checks for updates and applies them. There could be a hardware/system failure somewhere that the MicroCell can't address properly hence the flashing red 3G light. Service may work but the unit still thinks something is wrong.

The flashing red 3G light is not a good sign. If you've done a hard reset (turn off the power to the MicroCell, hold in the reset button, turn the MicroCell back on, and continue holding the reset button for about 30 seconds) that should set all memory and registers back to default and force the MicroCell to go thru the Initial Activation process which, among other things,  checks for updates and applies them. There could be a hardware/system failure somewhere that the MicroCell can't address properly hence the flashing red 3G light. Service may work but the unit still thinks something is wrong.

43 of 74 (575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:28:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I would offer that a persistent red flashing 3G light that can't be cleared by reset or power cycle is indicating that the Mcell is faulty.

I would offer that a persistent red flashing 3G light that can't be cleared by reset or power cycle is indicating that the Mcell is faulty.

44 of 74 (571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:39:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Agreed.

Agreed.

45 of 74 (568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 11:13:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'm amazed that the OP's phones actually work at all.....

I'm amazed that the OP's phones actually work at all.....

46 of 74 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 12:53:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The truth is out there somewhere.........

The truth is out there somewhere.........

47 of 74 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 1:32:48 PM
(0)
Teacher
So I'm not sure that I did a full 30 second after replugging the unit, so have done that now (about an hour ago). I'm now looking at a green flashing GPS and Red Bars. I guess if this doesn't resolve, I should go thru Chat/phone support to get a replacement?
So I'm not sure that I did a full 30 second after replugging the unit, so have done that now (about an hour ago). I'm now looking at a green flashing GPS and Red Bars. I guess if this doesn't resolve, I should go thru Chat/phone support to get a replacement?

48 of 74 (552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 2:00:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Hmmm, green flashing  GPS means that you don't have a GPS lock. Without that, AT&T can't confirm your location/account. The 3G lights should be either off or flashing green while the MicroCell is attempting to get GPS lock. I would either call support and try to get a replacement or you can PM CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your issue (be specific), what you and AT&T have done so far, your account info, and location. That bypasses the usual call support and assigns your case to an individual.

Hmmm, green flashing  GPS means that you don't have a GPS lock. Without that, AT&T can't confirm your location/account. The 3G lights should be either off or flashing green while the MicroCell is attempting to get GPS lock. I would either call support and try to get a replacement or you can PM CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your issue (be specific), what you and AT&T have done so far, your account info, and location. That bypasses the usual call support and assigns your case to an individual.

49 of 74 (549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 3:05:46 PM
(0)
Teacher
Well I did the power reset again but this time unplugged from wall vs. back of unit. Then the whole thing is back up and running with all green lights in a few minutes. Looking good....let's hope.
Well I did the power reset again but this time unplugged from wall vs. back of unit. Then the whole thing is back up and running with all green lights in a few minutes. Looking good....let's hope.

50 of 74 (546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 6:16:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok. Again, report back and let us know.

Ok. Again, report back and let us know.

51 of 74 (539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 5:15:06 AM
(0)
Teacher
Well had several successful problem free days from 01/23 PM until 01/29 AM. Yesterday I had no service from microcell with Green Flashing Bars, I started a chat session with support they told me the unit had lost GPS (although GPS lite was solid Green), They had me do a power cycle and it restored quickly (less than 15 mins.). Then this morning 01/30, I again had no service and this time had red flashing bars. I did a power cycle and am back online with all solid green lights.
Well had several successful problem free days from 01/23 PM until 01/29 AM. Yesterday I had no service from microcell with Green Flashing Bars, I started a chat session with support they told me the unit had lost GPS (although GPS lite was solid Green), They had me do a power cycle and it restored quickly (less than 15 mins.). Then this morning 01/30, I again had no service and this time had red flashing bars. I did a power cycle and am back online with all solid green lights.

52 of 74 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 8:56:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

This is getting difficult. I should probably go back and refresh my memory on what your setup is etc. My guess is that it still has something to do with the wiring or the gateway. The NVG589 is the newest RG that AT&T supplies for VDSL2 U-verse customers. Maybe its a config issue in the RG or the RG is faulty. I'd ask to have AT&T come out, check the RG and installation (and as much of the wiring as possible). Let me contact the Admins. They will probably have CustomerCare contact you and this should escalate your problem to support.

This is getting difficult. I should probably go back and refresh my memory on what your setup is etc. My guess is that it still has something to do with the wiring or the gateway. The NVG589 is the newest RG that AT&T supplies for VDSL2 U-verse customers. Maybe its a config issue in the RG or the RG is faulty. I'd ask to have AT&T come out, check the RG and installation (and as much of the wiring as possible). Let me contact the Admins. They will probably have CustomerCare contact you and this should escalate your problem to support.

53 of 74 (498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 9:18:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

This is certainly a head-scratcher....I would say that even though you've replaced the Mcell once, that doesn't mean that the one you currently have is ok.  What bothers me is that the Mcell had a flashing GPS light AND a flashing red 3G light.  If the Mcell was not getting a GPS lock after a reset and was flashing green, then the 3G light should be flashing green also until the Mcell acquires a GPS lock.

I'd talk Customer Care into sending you another Mcell to see if a faulty Mcell is the issue here.  If a new Mcell shows the same problems, then I'd start looking at the RG again.

This is certainly a head-scratcher....I would say that even though you've replaced the Mcell once, that doesn't mean that the one you currently have is ok.  What bothers me is that the Mcell had a flashing GPS light AND a flashing red 3G light.  If the Mcell was not getting a GPS lock after a reset and was flashing green, then the 3G light should be flashing green also until the Mcell acquires a GPS lock.

I'd talk Customer Care into sending you another Mcell to see if a faulty Mcell is the issue here.  If a new Mcell shows the same problems, then I'd start looking at the RG again.

54 of 74 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 9:25:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

debbiekeith4105 -

I contacted Admins and they have sent a query to CustomerCare concerning your issue. I mentioned that maybe a truck roll would be needed to check out the physical setup (wiring) and RG config. They will look at your ticket and decide if that's necessary or if there is something they can do remotely. Let's hope that they can figure this out cause Avedis53 is right, this is a head scratcher.

debbiekeith4105 -

I contacted Admins and they have sent a query to CustomerCare concerning your issue. I mentioned that maybe a truck roll would be needed to check out the physical setup (wiring) and RG config. They will look at your ticket and decide if that's necessary or if there is something they can do remotely. Let's hope that they can figure this out cause Avedis53 is right, this is a head scratcher.

55 of 74 (489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 5:03:53 PM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks once again for your advice - I'll await their contact.

Thanks once again for your advice - I'll await their contact.

56 of 74 (482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 5:50:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Hopefully there's a resolution soon.

Hopefully there's a resolution soon.

57 of 74 (479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 7:08:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
I did get a call from network support have a couple of items we are trying, will keep you all posted.

Thanks again!
I did get a call from network support have a couple of items we are trying, will keep you all posted.

Thanks again!

58 of 74 (474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 8:13:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I just got a pm from the Admins and they are having a Uverse manager look into it for you. I even have a case number even though there's nothing I can do with it Smiley Sad

I just got a pm from the Admins and they are having a Uverse manager look into it for you. I even have a case number even though there's nothing I can do with it Smiley Sad

59 of 74 (473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 8:14:29 AM
(0)
Teacher
So the first action that was recommended was plugging the microcell direct into the wall vs. UPS that I had before. I did that and reconnected last night without issue. As of this morning I was back to red flashing bars and no service. I did a power cycle and have now waited two hours without a connection. Both GPS and the bars are flashing green. Travis, who I spoke to last night, discussed moving the router to the room where microcell was or moving microcell to the room where the router is (and installing a GPS antenna) as the next steps but he is out until Monday.

I'm not sure on my next step given no connection. I guess I could try a hard re-set?
So the first action that was recommended was plugging the microcell direct into the wall vs. UPS that I had before. I did that and reconnected last night without issue. As of this morning I was back to red flashing bars and no service. I did a power cycle and have now waited two hours without a connection. Both GPS and the bars are flashing green. Travis, who I spoke to last night, discussed moving the router to the room where microcell was or moving microcell to the room where the router is (and installing a GPS antenna) as the next steps but he is out until Monday.

I'm not sure on my next step given no connection. I guess I could try a hard re-set?

60 of 74 (463 Views)