3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

[ Edited ]

I have been working on this issues since installation of microcell and UVerse in newly built condo.  The probelm is that at least on a daily basis there are times that one of our cellphones not able to receive nor initiate a new call.  In many cases if a call is initiated, although we get good audio, parties on other end cannot hear or at least understand us.

Our environment: 

- Microcell is registered and has all green lights.

- 2 cellphones (iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s currently - but had same issue from upgrading

from an iPhone 4 to the 5s)

- Motorola NVG589 router

- Not certain on switch/configuration inside of the network interface box

- Installation is in a lowrise condo - with high e-glass etc. so little to know signal

pentrates the building yet have very strong signal on deck/balcony

I have worked this issue with Uverse and Mobility support teams (voice and chat) and tried the following:

- Deleted / re-regisered microcell mutliple times

- Physically moved the microcell to a different room that required uverse team to come out and add

switch turn out port in office

- Our phones are a iPhone 5 and a 5s - we have also tried disabling the LTE service

- Per input from mobiity support turn off any handoff form AT&T network / to microcell

- Physical microcell has been replaced

- Configured router to open up appropriate ports for microcell

- Ran speed test getting 12 Mbps Up and 1.46 Down

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 74 (2,160 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 3G Microcell and Uverse Motorola NVG589 not providing reliable support

[ Edited ]

When you can't place or receive a call is the 3G light on the MicroCell blinking green? What about when you have call quality issues?

How exactly do you have your MicroCell setup (window location, how is it connected to the router, etc) and do you have any issues getting a consistent GPS connection (solid green light).

Usually those two problems above are caused by some connection issue to the AT&T servers (latency for example).

The NVG589 is the newest VDSL2 RG rented to customers who have have a bonded pair line. It should work (as opposed to some of the Pace modems) so this sounds like a connection/wiring issue, possibly at the NID.

Have you tried a hard reset of the MicroCell (holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds) in its present location?

You may want to look at the Guide for more information concerning setup, etc. (the link is in my sig).

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 74 (2,092 Views)

Thanks for the reply. When we are having issues all the lights on the microcell are solid and green. Also when one cellphone is having issues - the other phone does not have an issue.

Originally we did have an issue with maintaining GPS connectivity. That is when we got the Uverse tech's to turn on the port in the office vs. the family room. Now the microcell is plugged into the RJ-45 jack in office - the router is also plugged into a RJ-45 in family room. The connection is through the network interface where I see a Netgear Giga-switch (model 108).

Yes, we have done the hard reset.
Message 3 of 74 (2,088 Views)
ACE - Professor

I have a few comments and questions.

Low emissivity glass (not high) is what I think you are referring to.  This type of glass can cause a reduction in signal strength for any RF devices behind it (cellphones), especially if the coating on the glass is metalized instead of ceramic or clay.  Grounded steel beam construction can also attenuate signal strength in newer buildings.

You state that your speed test shows 12 Mbps up and 1.46 Mbps down.  Are you sure that isn't reversed?  Download speeds are always greater than upload speeds.

How many bars of signal strength do your cellphones show and do they also indicate "AT&T M-cell" to the right of the bars?

I assuming because of the NVG589 router that your DSL service is VDSL2 w/bonded pair?

The fact that your Mcell is showing all solid green lights would indicate to me that your Mcell is operating properly and moving it around from its current location unnecessary since you have a solid green GPS light.

Some people have had success by doing a complete reset/activation of their Mcell, which is:

1. Turn off your phones

2. De-register the MicroCell on myATT and log off

3. Perform a hard reset of the MicroCell by holding in the reset button on the back for about 30 seconds

4. Re-register the MicroCell on myATT

5. Wait till the registration and updates (if any) finish

6. Turn on the phones

You can certainly try this if you haven't already.  The key is the hard reset between the de-register/re-register process.

I suspect however, from your description of the problem, that your problem could very well be with the quality of your internet connection.  Dropout of voice and/or garbled voice is an indication of severe packet loss or jitter.

What other equipment is connected to your network (wired or wireless HDTV, satellite receivers, TV receivers, computers...etc.) ?  That equipment can eat up your available internet bandwidth and not leave enough for proper operation of your Mcell.

You should try running a test at the website "voipqualitytest.com" to see if you have excessive packet loss or jitter.

I would call Uverse and have them send out a technician to test your internet connection.  There could be issues with the wiring in your condo or it could be that the quality of your internet connection is poor.  They have equipment they can connect to your line to test for packet loss and jitter.

Post up any additional information from the questions I have listed and hopefully we can help you. 

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 74 (2,088 Views)
ACE - Professor

I posted this without reading the subsequent posts so you can disregard some of my questions/comments.  I'm still wondering about your bandwidth test, cellphone Mcell indicator and signal strength, network equipment and your internet connection quality.

Post the information if you can after checking it out.

Message 5 of 74 (2,083 Views)
ACE - Master

Thanks Avedis53. To the OP, you said the MicroCell is connected to an RJ-45 jack in the office and the router is connected to another RJ-45 jack in another room, and they both go thru a switch. That could be your problem. If the connection between those two jack are not solid, or there are other devices on the same path, your VoIP signal could be fluctuating enough as to affect call quality. To rule that out, I would suggest setting up your MicroCell so that it is connected directly to your router with a single ethernet cable and not go thru any other switches or RJ-45 outlets. Keep your connection as simple as possible. If that works, then it's something to do with your wiring in which case there is not much you can do, at this point in time. The RJ-45 could be wired wrong or poorly. It may work fine as an ethernet connection for the internet but VoIP requires a very robust and solid connection to work. The fewer connections you have between the MicroCell and  your router/gateway the more reliable it will be. That's just the nature of VoIP.

Message 6 of 74 (2,072 Views)
ACE - Professor

Definitely take the switch out for testing purposes.

The OP said when one phone is having issues, the other works.  Are they both being used at the same time when this happens?  Insufficient bandwidth perhaps?

Incoming voice quality is good but outgoing is garbled or dropping out.  Insufficient outgoing bandwidth causing packet loss?

Line testing would answer a lot of questions IMHO....

Message 7 of 74 (2,069 Views)

Thanks for your replies. 

I will run a test by running a wire across the rooms to get the switch out of the equation. 

You are correct in that I reversed the Up and Down load measurements in my earlier post. 

When inside and connected successfully,  the phones do show mcell and 5 bars.  When having issues, they show one or no bars and don't indicate mcell. 

Regarding my internet connection - I do not know whatVDSL2 w/bonded pair is or how to verify.  It is "Uverse High Speed Internet Max". 

I did run the voip quality test...jitter is at 4.9 ms and packet loss 0.0%.  The only indication of concern was Consistency of Service that was at 85%.

Will post results after installing cable

Thanks again for all your suggestions and ideas. 

Message 8 of 74 (2,063 Views)
ACE - Master

U-Verse High Speed Internet Max is just a marketing term. The type of gateway is usually an indicator of what kind of connection you have.

The Consistency of Service at 85% might be why you have inconsistent connection/voice issues. What ever the reason, this is looking more and more like a connection issue (U-verse) than a MicroCell issue.

Message 9 of 74 (2,057 Views)
ACE - Professor

The consistency of service calculated on that website is not necessarily a good indication of your connection.  Looking under the Advanced Statistics tab will show an upload and a download consistency of service.  When I run my connection I get an upload number of 97% but my download number is only 59% yet I do not have any problems. 

Your jitter and packet loss results are well within acceptable limits for VOIP service but keep in mind this is only a snapshot in time of your connection quality.  A real-time analysis done by a technician with the proper testing equipment would be more revealing.

When your iPhones show no connection to the Mcell, does toggling your iPhones Airplane Mode off and then on again establish a connection to the Mcell?

What other equipment is connected to your router network besides the Mcell?

Message 10 of 74 (2,050 Views)

Toggling or even power on and off the iPhone does not resolve the problem.

Also connected to the network is 3 laptops, 2 smart tv's, ipad, printer and a weatherdirect networked interface. one of the TV's and the weatherdirect is have a wired connections.

As far as consistency of service my upload is 99% and my download 85%.

Just got a 50' ethernet cable so about to try that.
Message 11 of 74 (2,040 Views)
ACE - Master

Looks like you have a lot of devices that are probably taking priority over the MicroCell. Hopefully a more direct, cleaner connection will work. 50' is a bit long but it should work or at least give you an idea that you're on the right track.

Message 12 of 74 (2,025 Views)

So last night installed the cable (I agree long that is why I didn't run it originally and this is shortest cable that will work). After installing cable, I did a hard re-set to make sure all is fresh and good. This morning joined first call and after 10 mins. call fails. The bars were blinking on the unit (i.e. both phones had same issue). Contact chat support and they said to power cycle the mcell which was about 15 mins. ago. They say if this doesn't work after 30 I should power cycle router. Agree?
Message 13 of 74 (1,996 Views)

Ultimately power cycled router and microcell again - waited 45 minutes and then it connected, so up and running for now.
Message 14 of 74 (1,985 Views)
ACE - Professor

Keep us posted. 

Message 15 of 74 (1,975 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.