Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 30, 2014
12:25:00 PM
View profile
3G MicroCell

I work at a school and get no coverage in my office. My office is in a gym when someone tries to call me I get no voicemail and doesn't even show up as a missed call. I want to try the 3G MicroCell but will I be able to use it at school?  I don't have a router or modem in my office.

I work at a school and get no coverage in my office. My office is in a gym when someone tries to call me I get no voicemail and doesn't even show up as a missed call. I want to try the 3G MicroCell but will I be able to use it at school?  I don't have a router or modem in my office.

3G MicroCell

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 12:54:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No. Sorry Smiley Sad The MicroCell is a VoIP device offered by AT&T. And as such, requires a direct internet connection, as well as a GPS satellite connection to work. There are some workarounds if you're not close to a router but it sounds like there isn't one anywhere near where you are located.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

No. Sorry Smiley Sad The MicroCell is a VoIP device offered by AT&T. And as such, requires a direct internet connection, as well as a GPS satellite connection to work. There are some workarounds if you're not close to a router but it sounds like there isn't one anywhere near where you are located.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 3G MicroCell

2 of 10 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 3:14:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

Here is my latest update. About 1pm today I received a call from the ATT rep that I have been dealing with on this issue that contacted us at the direction of the att Social Manager's direction. She stated that the team in charge of this has been communicating with Charter regarding this issue. She said that Charter instructed them to have the customers call Charter to create a case on the Charter end to verify there is an issue. ATT told me to call Charter and generate a case and get a case number and that they would call me back to get the case number so it could be on file with ATT.

Naturally I called Charter right away and had to ask to speak to a supervisor because the first person I got said they couldn't get a case number for something like that. I did speak with a supervsior that also told me the same thing and that there system is not set up to generate a case number for something like that since it is not an issue related to slow speed or something that they can look into on their end and fix. The supervsior did agree to email someone in the regional area where we are having the problem and see what happens. He did call me back and stated that other supervisors in the office had heard of issue from other customers and that he had not gotten an email back from the regional area. The other supervisors told him that ATT had done an upgrade on the Microcell end and this is what was causing the problems. 

This Charter supervisor who has been much more helpful then the others stated that he was going to complile a list of all the affected customers and re-email the regional group so they would know it was more then just one person affected. I have given him the link to this fourm as well so that he can see all the problems we are having. I still was unable to get a case number so if the ATT people looking into this issue see this please figure out with whoever at Charter you are communicating with that told us to get a case number and let them no we are not having any luck and that they need to let the supervisors at the place we are calling know what is going on. If any customers see this please email the supervisor whos email I have listed below and give him you number at the very least so he can add you to the list he is sending his people. This is very important so that they know it is just not a few people. My zip code is 76126 and I am in the Benbrook area which is just west of Fort Worth.

travis.santana@chartercom.com

Here is my latest update. About 1pm today I received a call from the ATT rep that I have been dealing with on this issue that contacted us at the direction of the att Social Manager's direction. She stated that the team in charge of this has been communicating with Charter regarding this issue. She said that Charter instructed them to have the customers call Charter to create a case on the Charter end to verify there is an issue. ATT told me to call Charter and generate a case and get a case number and that they would call me back to get the case number so it could be on file with ATT.

Naturally I called Charter right away and had to ask to speak to a supervisor because the first person I got said they couldn't get a case number for something like that. I did speak with a supervsior that also told me the same thing and that there system is not set up to generate a case number for something like that since it is not an issue related to slow speed or something that they can look into on their end and fix. The supervsior did agree to email someone in the regional area where we are having the problem and see what happens. He did call me back and stated that other supervisors in the office had heard of issue from other customers and that he had not gotten an email back from the regional area. The other supervisors told him that ATT had done an upgrade on the Microcell end and this is what was causing the problems. 

This Charter supervisor who has been much more helpful then the others stated that he was going to complile a list of all the affected customers and re-email the regional group so they would know it was more then just one person affected. I have given him the link to this fourm as well so that he can see all the problems we are having. I still was unable to get a case number so if the ATT people looking into this issue see this please figure out with whoever at Charter you are communicating with that told us to get a case number and let them no we are not having any luck and that they need to let the supervisors at the place we are calling know what is going on. If any customers see this please email the supervisor whos email I have listed below and give him you number at the very least so he can add you to the list he is sending his people. This is very important so that they know it is just not a few people. My zip code is 76126 and I am in the Benbrook area which is just west of Fort Worth.

travis.santana@chartercom.com

3 of 10 (994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 5:45:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

AT&T is fully aware of this and are keeping track of anyone with a Charter issue that has pm'd CustomerCare (link in my sig). They are reaching out to Charter. It's not surprising that Charter is blaming it on an AT&T upgrade. AT&T is looking into the Ft. Worth area to see if it is a MicroCell Service Area problem or something that Charter has done. Do keep in mind that AT&T can't tell Charter what to do with their network if it is on their end.

AT&T is fully aware of this and are keeping track of anyone with a Charter issue that has pm'd CustomerCare (link in my sig). They are reaching out to Charter. It's not surprising that Charter is blaming it on an AT&T upgrade. AT&T is looking into the Ft. Worth area to see if it is a MicroCell Service Area problem or something that Charter has done. Do keep in mind that AT&T can't tell Charter what to do with their network if it is on their end.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 11:49:05 AM
(0)
Voyager

I do have a computer in my office and I called Tech Support and they told me I needed a USB to RJ-45 adapter and a RJ-45 cable but I still don't know how to hook it up. I need a diagram showing how to do that.

I do have a computer in my office and I called Tech Support and they told me I needed a USB to RJ-45 adapter and a RJ-45 cable but I still don't know how to hook it up. I need a diagram showing how to do that.

5 of 10 (870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 12:29:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What is your school district's policy concerning the adding of personal hardware to their network?  I would think they wouldn't allow you to add anything.  Plus the fact you'd be behind the school district's network security and I seriously doubt they'd jump through any hoops to open it up for you.

All that aside, the Mcell needs to be hard-wired to a router.  In your case, this may be all the way back at your district's central IT offices.  I just don't see the Mcell as being an answer for your particular situation. 

I am confused about your inability to get voicemail.  Even if you are in a no-reception area in the school, when you go out to an area that has reception, your voicemails should then show up.  Don't you have a landline in your office?

What is your school district's policy concerning the adding of personal hardware to their network?  I would think they wouldn't allow you to add anything.  Plus the fact you'd be behind the school district's network security and I seriously doubt they'd jump through any hoops to open it up for you.

All that aside, the Mcell needs to be hard-wired to a router.  In your case, this may be all the way back at your district's central IT offices.  I just don't see the Mcell as being an answer for your particular situation. 

I am confused about your inability to get voicemail.  Even if you are in a no-reception area in the school, when you go out to an area that has reception, your voicemails should then show up.  Don't you have a landline in your office?

6 of 10 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 12:35:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Don't expect your IT department to help you with a MicroCell (femtocell) setup because they probably don't know what it is or how it works. RJ-45 connectors are a general term for ethernet so it's the connector that you plug an ethernet cable into. Not to be confused with an RJ-11 connector which is smaller and what your telephone line plugs into. I would recommend you look at the AT&T MicroCell Setup and Troubleshooting guide (the first link in my sig). That will explain and show you graphically how to connect the MicroCell. But remember, as I said above, the MicroCell needs to be connected to a router or a modem. How do you receive internet with your office computer now?

Don't expect your IT department to help you with a MicroCell (femtocell) setup because they probably don't know what it is or how it works. RJ-45 connectors are a general term for ethernet so it's the connector that you plug an ethernet cable into. Not to be confused with an RJ-11 connector which is smaller and what your telephone line plugs into. I would recommend you look at the AT&T MicroCell Setup and Troubleshooting guide (the first link in my sig). That will explain and show you graphically how to connect the MicroCell. But remember, as I said above, the MicroCell needs to be connected to a router or a modem. How do you receive internet with your office computer now?

7 of 10 (861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 10:58:55 AM
(0)
Voyager

I don't recieve any missed calls, voicemails, or text messages and when I do step outside my door to get reception none show up. Yes I do have a landline in my office, but as a longtime AT&T customer I am not getting what I am paying for and that is reception on my phone that I pay over $250 a month for 3 lines. I have checked with my District and yes I will not be able to use the MicroCell. So what is a person suppose to do when they get no coverage on a phone they are paying to use. Can I get a free phone in exchange for this phone that is practically a paper weight on my desk for 8 hours of the day?

I don't recieve any missed calls, voicemails, or text messages and when I do step outside my door to get reception none show up. Yes I do have a landline in my office, but as a longtime AT&T customer I am not getting what I am paying for and that is reception on my phone that I pay over $250 a month for 3 lines. I have checked with my District and yes I will not be able to use the MicroCell. So what is a person suppose to do when they get no coverage on a phone they are paying to use. Can I get a free phone in exchange for this phone that is practically a paper weight on my desk for 8 hours of the day?

8 of 10 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 11:43:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't mean to sound flippant but use your landline for calls when you're in your office. I'm in the same sort of situation in that my office is in the basement, so cellular coverage is virtually non-existent. I can use my companies WiFi so I can at least get messages on my mobile phone but other than that, voice calls don't happen unless I go upstairs and outside. If somebody wants to get a hold me, they either call my office landline, send me an email, or message me.

Coverage in my home is the same situation (except I'm not in the basement Smiley Wink) but I have a MicroCell which works perfectly.

Being a long time AT&T customer doesn't mean much if you're in a tower shadow area and there aren't any plans to install a closer tower. You're coverage is probably at the fringe when you're outside but once inside a building, it's gone altogether. Coverage maps, for any provider, are a bit misleading in that they are calculated on the signal propagation (theoretical) and don't take into consideration obstacles that can interfere with coverage such as buildings, trees, tower orientation, etc.

I don't mean to sound flippant but use your landline for calls when you're in your office. I'm in the same sort of situation in that my office is in the basement, so cellular coverage is virtually non-existent. I can use my companies WiFi so I can at least get messages on my mobile phone but other than that, voice calls don't happen unless I go upstairs and outside. If somebody wants to get a hold me, they either call my office landline, send me an email, or message me.

Coverage in my home is the same situation (except I'm not in the basement Smiley Wink) but I have a MicroCell which works perfectly.

Being a long time AT&T customer doesn't mean much if you're in a tower shadow area and there aren't any plans to install a closer tower. You're coverage is probably at the fringe when you're outside but once inside a building, it's gone altogether. Coverage maps, for any provider, are a bit misleading in that they are calculated on the signal propagation (theoretical) and don't take into consideration obstacles that can interfere with coverage such as buildings, trees, tower orientation, etc.

9 of 10 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 11:56:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I sympathize with your situation but it would appear that the gym your office is in is quite effective at shielding cell tower signals from your phone.  Most likely there was a lot of steel used in its construction and it may even have a metal roof.  This type of construction would be expected in a large building like that and unfortunately for you, you are in a metal-incased RF dead zone.  I doubt any other cellphone would provide any better results.  Do others who come to your office have the same problem with cellphone reception too?

IMHO, you really can't hold AT&T responsible for their cell system not penetrating your Faraday cage.  I can't answer as to whether AT&T would exchange your phone for another given your situation, but I doubt it.  Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

There are other products out there such as boosters that might help your situation.  They can be somewhat expensive though.  Wilson Electronics provides a wide variety of home and office boosters that may work for you.

http://wilelectronics.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/38985/Home-Office-Cellular-Boosters.html 

I sympathize with your situation but it would appear that the gym your office is in is quite effective at shielding cell tower signals from your phone.  Most likely there was a lot of steel used in its construction and it may even have a metal roof.  This type of construction would be expected in a large building like that and unfortunately for you, you are in a metal-incased RF dead zone.  I doubt any other cellphone would provide any better results.  Do others who come to your office have the same problem with cellphone reception too?

IMHO, you really can't hold AT&T responsible for their cell system not penetrating your Faraday cage.  I can't answer as to whether AT&T would exchange your phone for another given your situation, but I doubt it.  Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

There are other products out there such as boosters that might help your situation.  They can be somewhat expensive though.  Wilson Electronics provides a wide variety of home and office boosters that may work for you.

http://wilelectronics.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/38985/Home-Office-Cellular-Boosters.html 

10 of 10 (767 Views)