Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 12, 2013
1:52:15 PM
3G MicroCell Loses Connection

I have a WF720 AT&T Wireless Home Phone, iPhone 5 and the AT&T 3G MicroCell.  Both the WF720 and iPhone5 lose connection with the 3G MicroCell.  If I reboot the MicroCell, they will reconnect.  However, somewhere during the day it will lose connection again and I’ll have to reboot the MicroCell (again) to re-establish a connection (some times 2-3 times a day).  Since we have limited AT&T coverage in our area, this is a real problem.  It seems to me to be the MicroCell since both of the AT&T wireless phones lose connection. 

I have Comcast as my ISP and get 25Mb down speed and 5Mb up speed.  The MicroCell is connected directly to my Linksys dual band router, which in turn is connected to my Motorola SB6120 Surfboard Cable Modem with DOCSIS 3.0.  It all works great as my home network with 4/ea iOS devices, DirecTV, wireless printers, PCs, etc.  When the WF720 and iPhone 5 lose their connection, I still have all lights “ON SOLID” at the 3G MicroCell unit.  It is a mystery to me.

If anyone can assist, I would appreciate your assistance.  Thank you.

I have a WF720 AT&T Wireless Home Phone, iPhone 5 and the AT&T 3G MicroCell.  Both the WF720 and iPhone5 lose connection with the 3G MicroCell.  If I reboot the MicroCell, they will reconnect.  However, somewhere during the day it will lose connection again and I’ll have to reboot the MicroCell (again) to re-establish a connection (some times 2-3 times a day).  Since we have limited AT&T coverage in our area, this is a real problem.  It seems to me to be the MicroCell since both of the AT&T wireless phones lose connection. 

I have Comcast as my ISP and get 25Mb down speed and 5Mb up speed.  The MicroCell is connected directly to my Linksys dual band router, which in turn is connected to my Motorola SB6120 Surfboard Cable Modem with DOCSIS 3.0.  It all works great as my home network with 4/ea iOS devices, DirecTV, wireless printers, PCs, etc.  When the WF720 and iPhone 5 lose their connection, I still have all lights “ON SOLID” at the 3G MicroCell unit.  It is a mystery to me.

If anyone can assist, I would appreciate your assistance.  Thank you.

3G MicroCell Loses Connection

37 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 9:24:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Take a look at the MicroCell Technical Guide (the link is in my sig), you may find some useful info there. We too have had the MicroCell since the iPhone 3 was introduced (we are now using iPhone 4s and 5s, along with a couple of different mfrs) and have never had to toggle Airplane mode on/off or suffer from dropped calls/poor quality. Customer Support should be able to tell you how deactivate/reacttivate. Basically it's removing the primary phone number and guest numbers, saving (I think), and then putting them back in. Again, it's been years since I've had to do the process and it may have changed so check with them. I will probably add the process to the next update to the Technical Guide so that people don't have to call Support.

Have you tried to Reset Network Settings on your iPhone 5? Some have reprorted back that the issues went away once they reset their phone. How cellular phones connect to the MicroCell and vice versa is covered in the Guide and may help to explain why some have problems and others don't.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Take a look at the MicroCell Technical Guide (the link is in my sig), you may find some useful info there. We too have had the MicroCell since the iPhone 3 was introduced (we are now using iPhone 4s and 5s, along with a couple of different mfrs) and have never had to toggle Airplane mode on/off or suffer from dropped calls/poor quality. Customer Support should be able to tell you how deactivate/reacttivate. Basically it's removing the primary phone number and guest numbers, saving (I think), and then putting them back in. Again, it's been years since I've had to do the process and it may have changed so check with them. I will probably add the process to the next update to the Technical Guide so that people don't have to call Support.

Have you tried to Reset Network Settings on your iPhone 5? Some have reprorted back that the issues went away once they reset their phone. How cellular phones connect to the MicroCell and vice versa is covered in the Guide and may help to explain why some have problems and others don't.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 3G MicroCell Loses Connection

31 of 38 (852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 10:34:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Go to AT&T's website

Click on "My AT&T"

Input your user name and password.

You will see a pull-down menu labelled "I Want To".  Click on that and go down to the "Manage my plan and services".  The window that opens to the right will have "Manage 3G Microcell" at the bottom.  Click on that.

Select the primary account holder's number (the one with the Microcell serial number underneath it).  Then hit the "Continue" button.

You will now be on the "Manage 3g Microcell Settings" page.

Go down to the section labelled "Your 3g Microcell Device Information".  At the bottom of that section, you will see a link that says "Disconnect your 3g Microcell device".  Place your cursor over that and click on it.

That will deactivate your Microcell.

I would then logout and log back in again to "My AT&T".  Follow the same directions as above to get to the "Manage 3g Microcell Settings" page.  Right above the "Disconnect your 3g Microcell Device" is a link that says "Add a New 3g Microcell Device".  Follow the steps for activating the Microcell again.

Let me know if that works for you.

Go to AT&T's website

Click on "My AT&T"

Input your user name and password.

You will see a pull-down menu labelled "I Want To".  Click on that and go down to the "Manage my plan and services".  The window that opens to the right will have "Manage 3G Microcell" at the bottom.  Click on that.

Select the primary account holder's number (the one with the Microcell serial number underneath it).  Then hit the "Continue" button.

You will now be on the "Manage 3g Microcell Settings" page.

Go down to the section labelled "Your 3g Microcell Device Information".  At the bottom of that section, you will see a link that says "Disconnect your 3g Microcell device".  Place your cursor over that and click on it.

That will deactivate your Microcell.

I would then logout and log back in again to "My AT&T".  Follow the same directions as above to get to the "Manage 3g Microcell Settings" page.  Right above the "Disconnect your 3g Microcell Device" is a link that says "Add a New 3g Microcell Device".  Follow the steps for activating the Microcell again.

Let me know if that works for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 38 (846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 10:38:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@ Otto,

You posted that you have a 5S ????   How did you get one before the September 18th release date???  Smiley Surprised

@ Otto,

You posted that you have a 5S ????   How did you get one before the September 18th release date???  Smiley Surprised

33 of 38 (845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:28:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Doh! Did I say 5S? I meant 4S. I'm quite happy with my 5 and have no plans to upgrade the phone, just the iOS when it becomes available. Thanks for the instructions on deactivation/reactivation. I'll add that to the Guide.

Doh! Did I say 5S? I meant 4S. I'm quite happy with my 5 and have no plans to upgrade the phone, just the iOS when it becomes available. Thanks for the instructions on deactivation/reactivation. I'll add that to the Guide.

34 of 38 (842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:54:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I was watching the live Apple media event online.  The iOS 7 software releases on the 18th.  The 5S and 5C go on sale on the 20th.  Pre-orders start on Friday.  I may or may not get one.  The rumored fingerprint scanner for the 5S is fact now.  You can use it instead of a login code to open the phone and use it instead of entering user names and passwords for apps.  iRadio will be part of iOS 7. 

I was watching the live Apple media event online.  The iOS 7 software releases on the 18th.  The 5S and 5C go on sale on the 20th.  Pre-orders start on Friday.  I may or may not get one.  The rumored fingerprint scanner for the 5S is fact now.  You can use it instead of a login code to open the phone and use it instead of entering user names and passwords for apps.  iRadio will be part of iOS 7. 

35 of 38 (832 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 1:25:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I've been home all day working with a contractor on a remodeling project and didn't take the time to watch the release event. I got my 5 about 6 months after it was released and it does what I need it to do so I'll probably pass on this bells and whistles iteration and just see what iOS 7 does for my 5. I don't live on my cell phone like a lot of people seem to do so my needs are fairly simple.

I've been home all day working with a contractor on a remodeling project and didn't take the time to watch the release event. I got my 5 about 6 months after it was released and it does what I need it to do so I'll probably pass on this bells and whistles iteration and just see what iOS 7 does for my 5. I don't live on my cell phone like a lot of people seem to do so my needs are fairly simple.

36 of 38 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 10:33:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same exact problem!  I feel for you, so frustrating.  I have to keep disconnecting the power supply to the microcell and repugging it back in .  Sometimes 3 times a day.  Ugggh! ATT says it's the microcell and they are replacing it under warranty for me.  I really don't think that's it i think maybe when the speed or something changes in the rougher it loses connection.  Oh well as long as it reconnects i dont really have a problem.  It 's just very frustrating!!!!

I have the same exact problem!  I feel for you, so frustrating.  I have to keep disconnecting the power supply to the microcell and repugging it back in .  Sometimes 3 times a day.  Ugggh! ATT says it's the microcell and they are replacing it under warranty for me.  I really don't think that's it i think maybe when the speed or something changes in the rougher it loses connection.  Oh well as long as it reconnects i dont really have a problem.  It 's just very frustrating!!!!

37 of 38 (562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 11:30:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok, you replied to a 3-month old post. What exactly is the problem with the MicroCell, how do you have it setup, what kind of speeds do you have, and who is your ISP? Power cycling the MicroCell is ok every now and then but not three times a day. Each time you power cycle, the MicroCell goes thru the Initial Activation sequence which shouldn't be a problem, but the power output may change depending on what it can detect with the local tower. Sometimes may be better than others. If it's the 3G light that starts to blink green, that's more than likely an issue with your ISP. See the Guide for detailed information (link is in my sig).

Ok, you replied to a 3-month old post. What exactly is the problem with the MicroCell, how do you have it setup, what kind of speeds do you have, and who is your ISP? Power cycling the MicroCell is ok every now and then but not three times a day. Each time you power cycle, the MicroCell goes thru the Initial Activation sequence which shouldn't be a problem, but the power output may change depending on what it can detect with the local tower. Sometimes may be better than others. If it's the 3G light that starts to blink green, that's more than likely an issue with your ISP. See the Guide for detailed information (link is in my sig).

38 of 38 (559 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments