Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 12, 2013
1:52:15 PM
3G MicroCell Loses Connection

I have a WF720 AT&T Wireless Home Phone, iPhone 5 and the AT&T 3G MicroCell.  Both the WF720 and iPhone5 lose connection with the 3G MicroCell.  If I reboot the MicroCell, they will reconnect.  However, somewhere during the day it will lose connection again and I’ll have to reboot the MicroCell (again) to re-establish a connection (some times 2-3 times a day).  Since we have limited AT&T coverage in our area, this is a real problem.  It seems to me to be the MicroCell since both of the AT&T wireless phones lose connection. 

I have Comcast as my ISP and get 25Mb down speed and 5Mb up speed.  The MicroCell is connected directly to my Linksys dual band router, which in turn is connected to my Motorola SB6120 Surfboard Cable Modem with DOCSIS 3.0.  It all works great as my home network with 4/ea iOS devices, DirecTV, wireless printers, PCs, etc.  When the WF720 and iPhone 5 lose their connection, I still have all lights “ON SOLID” at the 3G MicroCell unit.  It is a mystery to me.

If anyone can assist, I would appreciate your assistance.  Thank you.

I have a WF720 AT&T Wireless Home Phone, iPhone 5 and the AT&T 3G MicroCell.  Both the WF720 and iPhone5 lose connection with the 3G MicroCell.  If I reboot the MicroCell, they will reconnect.  However, somewhere during the day it will lose connection again and I’ll have to reboot the MicroCell (again) to re-establish a connection (some times 2-3 times a day).  Since we have limited AT&T coverage in our area, this is a real problem.  It seems to me to be the MicroCell since both of the AT&T wireless phones lose connection. 

I have Comcast as my ISP and get 25Mb down speed and 5Mb up speed.  The MicroCell is connected directly to my Linksys dual band router, which in turn is connected to my Motorola SB6120 Surfboard Cable Modem with DOCSIS 3.0.  It all works great as my home network with 4/ea iOS devices, DirecTV, wireless printers, PCs, etc.  When the WF720 and iPhone 5 lose their connection, I still have all lights “ON SOLID” at the 3G MicroCell unit.  It is a mystery to me.

If anyone can assist, I would appreciate your assistance.  Thank you.

3G MicroCell Loses Connection

37 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2013 4:08:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Just curious, but why do you have the Wireless Home Phone and a MicroCell? The Wireless Home Phone is basically used to replace a landline and where the MicroCell is not used or works well. I'm not up to speed yet on the Home Phone but it's my uderstanding that it uses the AT&T cellular network to connect your cordless phones like a landline. It does not use the MicroCell but attempts to connect to a local tower so you can use your cordless phones and not a cell phone. If you have poor cell phone coverage because the towers are too far away, then I would think that the Wireless Home Phone would have a hard time connecting as well. It also transmits a signal which may be interferring with the MicroCell (or confusing it). The Wireless Home Phone is not registered to the MicroCell (as far as I know) so you don't need, or use, the MicroCell. I would disconnect the Wireless Home Phone, make sure the MicroCell has solid green lights (Power, Internet, GPS, and 3G) and then just use your iPhone 5 and see what happens. Then try the reverse.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Just curious, but why do you have the Wireless Home Phone and a MicroCell? The Wireless Home Phone is basically used to replace a landline and where the MicroCell is not used or works well. I'm not up to speed yet on the Home Phone but it's my uderstanding that it uses the AT&T cellular network to connect your cordless phones like a landline. It does not use the MicroCell but attempts to connect to a local tower so you can use your cordless phones and not a cell phone. If you have poor cell phone coverage because the towers are too far away, then I would think that the Wireless Home Phone would have a hard time connecting as well. It also transmits a signal which may be interferring with the MicroCell (or confusing it). The Wireless Home Phone is not registered to the MicroCell (as far as I know) so you don't need, or use, the MicroCell. I would disconnect the Wireless Home Phone, make sure the MicroCell has solid green lights (Power, Internet, GPS, and 3G) and then just use your iPhone 5 and see what happens. Then try the reverse.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 3G MicroCell Loses Connection

2 of 38 (8,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 11:57:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

The “WF720” AT&T Wireless Home Phone does replace the land line, but works just like a cell phone by connecting to the nearest (strongest) cell tower (there is no landline).  Since we have limited AT&T bars (sometimes no service) the 3G MicroCell acts as our Cell Tower to get us acceptable service.  When we lose connection and don’t know it, the calls go into voice mail.  It is also a pain to have to reboot the 3G MicroCell 2-3 times a day.  The MicroCell is made and sold as an accessory to the AT&T Wireless Service (cell phone or wireless home phone).  And yes, both the Cell Phone and the Wireless Home Phone (WF720) do connect to the MicroCell and work great when properly connected. 

The “WF720” AT&T Wireless Home Phone does replace the land line, but works just like a cell phone by connecting to the nearest (strongest) cell tower (there is no landline).  Since we have limited AT&T bars (sometimes no service) the 3G MicroCell acts as our Cell Tower to get us acceptable service.  When we lose connection and don’t know it, the calls go into voice mail.  It is also a pain to have to reboot the 3G MicroCell 2-3 times a day.  The MicroCell is made and sold as an accessory to the AT&T Wireless Service (cell phone or wireless home phone).  And yes, both the Cell Phone and the Wireless Home Phone (WF720) do connect to the MicroCell and work great when properly connected. 

3 of 38 (8,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 12:12:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:14:07 PM

Also, should anyone want to know, Yes, I contacted AT&T Support and have a case number but no follow-up on AT&T’s part.  AT&T Support sent me a message with Case Number *** indicating they sent it to o engineering concerning my Microcell issue. 

[edited for privacy]

Also, should anyone want to know, Yes, I contacted AT&T Support and have a case number but no follow-up on AT&T’s part.  AT&T Support sent me a message with Case Number *** indicating they sent it to o engineering concerning my Microcell issue. 

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
4 of 38 (8,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 1:12:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

To keep things simple for everyone, it would probably be best if you just respond to one of your posts as they are the same issue and it would be easier to follow and repond to just one. Maybe the mods can consolidate them into one for simplicity.

To keep things simple for everyone, it would probably be best if you just respond to one of your posts as they are the same issue and it would be easier to follow and repond to just one. Maybe the mods can consolidate them into one for simplicity.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 38 (8,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 3:39:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK, I agree with you.  Another person from the community sent me a private message stating that “duplicate” had been archived so we could focus on this one.  If I’m wrong, please let me know.

OK, I agree with you.  Another person from the community sent me a private message stating that “duplicate” had been archived so we could focus on this one.  If I’m wrong, please let me know.

6 of 38 (8,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 6:09:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That was probably from our mod. You're fine. We'll keep this one going as long as need be.

That was probably from our mod. You're fine. We'll keep this one going as long as need be.

7 of 38 (8,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2013 8:27:03 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Jan 20, 2013 at 8:45:58 AM

UPDATE – no response from AT&T regarding Case Number “***”. 

I continue to have the problem of “losing connection” with the 3G MicroCell 1 or 2 times per day with both the WF720 and iPhone 5.  Since it affects both those units, I continue to suspect the issue (or anomaly) is with the 3G Microcell.  Regarding the Microcell, I have moved it to 4 different locations within my house and have experienced the exactly same problem.  And when (or during) the “lost connection” all of the lights remain ON SOLID.  Seems the only way to reestablish connection is to POWER OFF for 10 seconds and POWER BACK ON. 

Question – is it possible we are getting a BLAST of good AT&T signal occasionaly (4 or 5 bars) when we normally only have 1 bar?  If so, is it possible the 3G MicroCell loses its connection to a STRONGER SIGNAL and then does not reconnect when the signal degrades back to the normal 1 bar?  The mystery continues!

{Personal content removed for your safety}

UPDATE – no response from AT&T regarding Case Number “***”. 

I continue to have the problem of “losing connection” with the 3G MicroCell 1 or 2 times per day with both the WF720 and iPhone 5.  Since it affects both those units, I continue to suspect the issue (or anomaly) is with the 3G Microcell.  Regarding the Microcell, I have moved it to 4 different locations within my house and have experienced the exactly same problem.  And when (or during) the “lost connection” all of the lights remain ON SOLID.  Seems the only way to reestablish connection is to POWER OFF for 10 seconds and POWER BACK ON. 

Question – is it possible we are getting a BLAST of good AT&T signal occasionaly (4 or 5 bars) when we normally only have 1 bar?  If so, is it possible the 3G MicroCell loses its connection to a STRONGER SIGNAL and then does not reconnect when the signal degrades back to the normal 1 bar?  The mystery continues!

{Personal content removed for your safety}

[ Edited ]
8 of 38 (8,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2013 10:16:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If the signal strength from the tower fluctuates wildly then yes, your MicroCell will have issues. The same would hold true for the Wireless Home Phone. Same principle. In theory, when you first activate the MicroCell, it will adjust it's transmitter power to the detected cell tower so that the MicroCell signal doesn't interfere with the tower. The greater the tower signal, the lower the MicroCell signal to your phone. Everytime the MicroCell is activated (re-booted) it will scan for tower strength and adjust it's signal transmission power accordingly. The phones (cellular) also adjust their transmitter power as well depending on the received  MicroCell signal. Cellular tower transmission signal strength should be steady so after the initial MicroCell activation, the MicroCell has correctly adjusted it's transmission signal strength. Even after re-boots or deactiviation/reactivation, the adjusments are the same. It is possible that the MicroCell is defective but if I remember correctly, your closest tower is like 8 miles away, which is pretty far, and there are possible obstacles in the way that could affect your received tower signal strength.

If the signal strength from the tower fluctuates wildly then yes, your MicroCell will have issues. The same would hold true for the Wireless Home Phone. Same principle. In theory, when you first activate the MicroCell, it will adjust it's transmitter power to the detected cell tower so that the MicroCell signal doesn't interfere with the tower. The greater the tower signal, the lower the MicroCell signal to your phone. Everytime the MicroCell is activated (re-booted) it will scan for tower strength and adjust it's signal transmission power accordingly. The phones (cellular) also adjust their transmitter power as well depending on the received  MicroCell signal. Cellular tower transmission signal strength should be steady so after the initial MicroCell activation, the MicroCell has correctly adjusted it's transmission signal strength. Even after re-boots or deactiviation/reactivation, the adjusments are the same. It is possible that the MicroCell is defective but if I remember correctly, your closest tower is like 8 miles away, which is pretty far, and there are possible obstacles in the way that could affect your received tower signal strength.

9 of 38 (8,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 7:15:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

OK, I understand and thank you for the explanation. 

Now, as a customer, what do I do?  Suffer through the re-boot process every day, sometime 2-3 times?  Or, do I expect AT&T to correct this anomaly?  Or, do I return the unit as defective?  Seems I’m a captive slave here. I need the 3G MicroCell to utilize the two phones.  Your thought are appreciated.

OK, I understand and thank you for the explanation. 

Now, as a customer, what do I do?  Suffer through the re-boot process every day, sometime 2-3 times?  Or, do I expect AT&T to correct this anomaly?  Or, do I return the unit as defective?  Seems I’m a captive slave here. I need the 3G MicroCell to utilize the two phones.  Your thought are appreciated.

10 of 38 (8,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 8:10:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:16:56 AM

Your issue seems to be in a gray area due to the unusually long distance to the nearest cell tower. If AT&T installed a closer cell tower that my solve your issue but I doubt that's going to happen. What are your internet speeds and what kind of connection do you have? I forget if we discussed that. How is Verizon coverage in your area? Do you know anyone who has Verizon and can they get decent cell phone coverage in your home? I know Verizon also offers femtocells for the same reason that AT&T does, and maybe if their cell towers are closer......

I went back and saw that you have Comcast with good download speeds. Have you connected directly to the cable modem (priority connection) bypassing the router? That rules out any configuration issues with the router. If you've contacted ATTCustomerCare you should be dealing with one individual who has been assigned to  your case. If priority mode deoesn't work, ask for a MicroCell replacement. Maybe it's the unit. Comcast doesn't always play nice so maybe it has something to do with DOCSIS 3.0.

Your issue seems to be in a gray area due to the unusually long distance to the nearest cell tower. If AT&T installed a closer cell tower that my solve your issue but I doubt that's going to happen. What are your internet speeds and what kind of connection do you have? I forget if we discussed that. How is Verizon coverage in your area? Do you know anyone who has Verizon and can they get decent cell phone coverage in your home? I know Verizon also offers femtocells for the same reason that AT&T does, and maybe if their cell towers are closer......

I went back and saw that you have Comcast with good download speeds. Have you connected directly to the cable modem (priority connection) bypassing the router? That rules out any configuration issues with the router. If you've contacted ATTCustomerCare you should be dealing with one individual who has been assigned to  your case. If priority mode deoesn't work, ask for a MicroCell replacement. Maybe it's the unit. Comcast doesn't always play nice so maybe it has something to do with DOCSIS 3.0.

[ Edited ]
11 of 38 (8,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 8:57:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

@richard599 - I forgot to ask but have you sent a pm to ATTCustomerCare yet? Just use the blue envelope in the upper right hand corner of this page. That by-passes phone support and bascially assigns one person to your case. Just detail your issue, what you have done to troubleshoot (in detail if possible), the case # that phone support assigned,  your setup, account information, and phone number.

@richard599 - I forgot to ask but have you sent a pm to ATTCustomerCare yet? Just use the blue envelope in the upper right hand corner of this page. That by-passes phone support and bascially assigns one person to your case. Just detail your issue, what you have done to troubleshoot (in detail if possible), the case # that phone support assigned,  your setup, account information, and phone number.

12 of 38 (8,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 9:12:01 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:28:54 AM

UPDATE –regarding AT&T and Case Number [edited for privacy]

I talked with AT&T support today and they have decided to replace our 3G MicroCell.  Hopefully, this will be the solution to our dilemma.

UPDATE –regarding AT&T and Case Number [edited for privacy]

I talked with AT&T support today and they have decided to replace our 3G MicroCell.  Hopefully, this will be the solution to our dilemma.

[ Edited ]
13 of 38 (8,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 9:14:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for the information regarding PM.  We will wait to see how the replacement unit works.  Best regards,

Thank you for the information regarding PM.  We will wait to see how the replacement unit works.  Best regards,

14 of 38 (8,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 9:35:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok. Let us know if your issues persist with the replacement MicroCell. If issues still occur, pm ATTCustomerCare.

Ok. Let us know if your issues persist with the replacement MicroCell. If issues still occur, pm ATTCustomerCare.

15 of 38 (8,150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 11:01:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the exact same problem. My 2 iphone 5's lose connection every few minutes on the microcell.  My previous iphone4 and samsung phone worked flawlessly.  I've contacted customer care via email but so far no resolution.  As far as I can tell it's an issue with my new 4G lte phones being used on a 3g device. 

I have the exact same problem. My 2 iphone 5's lose connection every few minutes on the microcell.  My previous iphone4 and samsung phone worked flawlessly.  I've contacted customer care via email but so far no resolution.  As far as I can tell it's an issue with my new 4G lte phones being used on a 3g device. 

16 of 38 (8,139 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 11:10:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Jan 22, 2013 at 11:12:48 AM

rbourke wrote:

We have iPhone 5's (iOS 6.0.2) and don't have any issues. The MicroCell can only connect at 3G so the iPhone will change its connectivity based on the detected signal protocol. Just like when you are outside of the MicroCell range and  your phone switches from 3G/4G/LTE depending on the local tower configuration. I have read unconfirmed reports that some iPhones need to be "reset" by AT&T but I'm not sure exactly what that means. Sounds to me more like some sort of account tweaking than an actual phone reset. Try turning LTE off. If you've contacted (sent a PM) ATTCustomerCare and don't hear back in a couple of days, report back here.

What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell? Are they all green or is any one light blinking green or red?

rbourke wrote:

We have iPhone 5's (iOS 6.0.2) and don't have any issues. The MicroCell can only connect at 3G so the iPhone will change its connectivity based on the detected signal protocol. Just like when you are outside of the MicroCell range and  your phone switches from 3G/4G/LTE depending on the local tower configuration. I have read unconfirmed reports that some iPhones need to be "reset" by AT&T but I'm not sure exactly what that means. Sounds to me more like some sort of account tweaking than an actual phone reset. Try turning LTE off. If you've contacted (sent a PM) ATTCustomerCare and don't hear back in a couple of days, report back here.

What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell? Are they all green or is any one light blinking green or red?

[ Edited ]
17 of 38 (8,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 8:38:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Did the microcell replacement resolve the issue?  I am experiencing the same scenario you described.  My replacement microcell is on the way. thanks.

Did the microcell replacement resolve the issue?  I am experiencing the same scenario you described.  My replacement microcell is on the way. thanks.

18 of 38 (7,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 10:40:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Let us know how the new (replacement) MicroCell works out.

Let us know how the new (replacement) MicroCell works out.

19 of 38 (7,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 11:58:27 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am experiencing the same problem with my microcell and iPhones. I have to reboot both the microcell AND the phones so that the phone would pick up the microcell signal. Then it would drop the connection intermittently throughout the day. Is there a resolution to this yet or I would just have to ask AT&T for a microcell replacement? Thank you.
I am experiencing the same problem with my microcell and iPhones. I have to reboot both the microcell AND the phones so that the phone would pick up the microcell signal. Then it would drop the connection intermittently throughout the day. Is there a resolution to this yet or I would just have to ask AT&T for a microcell replacement? Thank you.

20 of 38 (6,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 8:31:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Did your iPhones ever work consistently with the MicroCell? Which iPhones and iOS do you have? Are all of the lights on the MicroCell (Power, Interent (ethernet), GPS, and 3G) solid green or is any one of them blinking green when you notice your connection has been dropped? FWIW, my iPhone 5 stays connected all day long with our MicroCell, as well as the 3GS and old Samsung.

Did your iPhones ever work consistently with the MicroCell? Which iPhones and iOS do you have? Are all of the lights on the MicroCell (Power, Interent (ethernet), GPS, and 3G) solid green or is any one of them blinking green when you notice your connection has been dropped? FWIW, my iPhone 5 stays connected all day long with our MicroCell, as well as the 3GS and old Samsung.

21 of 38 (6,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 5:33:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem.  If I power off and then on the microcell my connection is fine for a day or two.  Then wont connect at all.  I have to reboot microcell and my network settings to reconnect.  This is a real pain and very time consuming.  If I dont connect I have one maybe two bars dropped calls.

I am having the same problem.  If I power off and then on the microcell my connection is fine for a day or two.  Then wont connect at all.  I have to reboot microcell and my network settings to reconnect.  This is a real pain and very time consuming.  If I dont connect I have one maybe two bars dropped calls.

22 of 38 (5,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 6:36:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Aug 7, 2013 at 6:37:23 PM

Ok. Different causes can ehxibit the same problem so can you be more specific in how you have your MicroCell setup, what the light pattern looks like on your MicroCell when it works and when it loses connection, and what kind of phone(s) you have? Is this a new MicroCell or one that you purchased second-hand?

Ok. Different causes can ehxibit the same problem so can you be more specific in how you have your MicroCell setup, what the light pattern looks like on your MicroCell when it works and when it loses connection, and what kind of phone(s) you have? Is this a new MicroCell or one that you purchased second-hand?

[ Edited ]
23 of 38 (5,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 4:15:28 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by no_bueno on Aug 18, 2013 at 4:18:05 PM

It would have been nice if the OP had reported back about the exchanged unit. We have the same problem with our Iphone 5's (fully updated as of this post) and this AT&T micro cell 3G. AT&T was nice enough to give us the unit for free but it drops the phones frequently and never reconnects to them once out of range. We're going to exchange it for another but I fear the problem may be between the apple devices and these unit. If thats the case it may be time to ditch Apple and AT&T.

I'll report back this week regarding the replacement device. If the unit doesn't solve the problem we're switching to Verizon.

For those worried about cancellation fees due to a contract, AT&T cannot keep you locked in a contract if they are unable to provide the service for which they are charging you... even if their coverage map shows your area as covered. If they do charge you then contact the FCC. State that the service does not work and that they are unable/unwilling to fix it. Cell phone companies do not want too many FCC complaints so it's your best way out.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

It would have been nice if the OP had reported back about the exchanged unit. We have the same problem with our Iphone 5's (fully updated as of this post) and this AT&T micro cell 3G. AT&T was nice enough to give us the unit for free but it drops the phones frequently and never reconnects to them once out of range. We're going to exchange it for another but I fear the problem may be between the apple devices and these unit. If thats the case it may be time to ditch Apple and AT&T.

I'll report back this week regarding the replacement device. If the unit doesn't solve the problem we're switching to Verizon.

For those worried about cancellation fees due to a contract, AT&T cannot keep you locked in a contract if they are unable to provide the service for which they are charging you... even if their coverage map shows your area as covered. If they do charge you then contact the FCC. State that the service does not work and that they are unable/unwilling to fix it. Cell phone companies do not want too many FCC complaints so it's your best way out.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

[ Edited ]
24 of 38 (5,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 7:55:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Try to Reset Network Settings on your iPhone. That sometimes helps with the iPhones connecting. Disable Hand-off on your myAT&T account page and turn off LTE. Leave WiFi on on the  iPhone.

Are all the lights (Power, internet, GPS, and 3G) consistently a solid green on the MicroCell?

FWIW, we have an iPhone 3GS, 4, 5, and an old Samsung and no connection issues at all so the issue seems to be dependent on transmission strength from the MicroCell to the phone, the phone to the MicroCell, and the proximity of a tower (which affects the MicroCell's transmisson strength).

Try to Reset Network Settings on your iPhone. That sometimes helps with the iPhones connecting. Disable Hand-off on your myAT&T account page and turn off LTE. Leave WiFi on on the  iPhone.

Are all the lights (Power, internet, GPS, and 3G) consistently a solid green on the MicroCell?

FWIW, we have an iPhone 3GS, 4, 5, and an old Samsung and no connection issues at all so the issue seems to be dependent on transmission strength from the MicroCell to the phone, the phone to the MicroCell, and the proximity of a tower (which affects the MicroCell's transmisson strength).

25 of 38 (5,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 8:55:51 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by no_bueno on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:58:53 PM

Otto Pylot wrote:

We tried everything my friend. No matter what setting the IP5's wouldn't reconnect to the micro-cell once we left it's range. This was unacceptable because calls were dropped frequently. We have 14 acres out in the Country and while we may have up to 2 bars in the driveway with 4g at times, we never see more than one bar in our home and if we're lucky we have edge for a second or two. Obviously with a good WiFi signal data transfer isn't an issue in our home but using the telephone was. As it turns out there may have been an issue during the firmware updating process when we installed the first micro-cell. We were experience thunderstorm activity in our area that day and while everything seemed good, it wasn't. AT&T quickly exchanged the first micro-cell today and we setup the new device in a matter of minutes. I'm happy to report that we can in fact make phone calls from the replacement micro-cell and actually walk out to our driveway while on the phone and still remain connected while the phones switch to the tower yet be able to go back into our home and have the micro-cell reconnect to the devices without losing connection. AT&T's customer service has been well above my expectations and they were actually willing to let us out of our contract without penalty if the second micro-cell didn't work. I really didn't want to go droid or Verizon but my job requires me to be on call 24/7/365 and I made that clear to AT&T. They were very quick to help me resolve the problem so for that they deserve the recognition for it in my opinion. Disabling LTE was the only setting necessary with the new device.

Off topic....About 5 years ago I had T-mobile with a Samsung slider phone. This phone had the ability to connect to my home Wifi so that I could use it as a phone. Without that option my phone would have been useless. IMO I think it sucks that cell companies keep us from being able to VOIP on our devices because they want to make more $$$. I can understand from a limited data/minutes perspective but I have unlimited everything anyway and while AT&T did give us this micro-cell for free, if the IP5 could simply connect to my long range Wifi in the first place to send/receive calls, we wouldn't even be having this discussion...Just saying!

-Peace Smiley Happy

Otto Pylot wrote:

We tried everything my friend. No matter what setting the IP5's wouldn't reconnect to the micro-cell once we left it's range. This was unacceptable because calls were dropped frequently. We have 14 acres out in the Country and while we may have up to 2 bars in the driveway with 4g at times, we never see more than one bar in our home and if we're lucky we have edge for a second or two. Obviously with a good WiFi signal data transfer isn't an issue in our home but using the telephone was. As it turns out there may have been an issue during the firmware updating process when we installed the first micro-cell. We were experience thunderstorm activity in our area that day and while everything seemed good, it wasn't. AT&T quickly exchanged the first micro-cell today and we setup the new device in a matter of minutes. I'm happy to report that we can in fact make phone calls from the replacement micro-cell and actually walk out to our driveway while on the phone and still remain connected while the phones switch to the tower yet be able to go back into our home and have the micro-cell reconnect to the devices without losing connection. AT&T's customer service has been well above my expectations and they were actually willing to let us out of our contract without penalty if the second micro-cell didn't work. I really didn't want to go droid or Verizon but my job requires me to be on call 24/7/365 and I made that clear to AT&T. They were very quick to help me resolve the problem so for that they deserve the recognition for it in my opinion. Disabling LTE was the only setting necessary with the new device.

Off topic....About 5 years ago I had T-mobile with a Samsung slider phone. This phone had the ability to connect to my home Wifi so that I could use it as a phone. Without that option my phone would have been useless. IMO I think it sucks that cell companies keep us from being able to VOIP on our devices because they want to make more $$$. I can understand from a limited data/minutes perspective but I have unlimited everything anyway and while AT&T did give us this micro-cell for free, if the IP5 could simply connect to my long range Wifi in the first place to send/receive calls, we wouldn't even be having this discussion...Just saying!

-Peace Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
26 of 38 (5,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 9:45:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I understand your frustration. The MicroCell, under the best of circumstances has a range of about  5,000 square feet but there are quite a few variables that can affect that. You might want to check out the MicroCell Technical Guide that I just posted to get a better idea of what's going on with the MicroCell (which is a VoIP device btw). It covers how the MicroCell connects and handing off isses. If you're not close to a tower (greater than 2 miles away) then as long as your internet connection is fast and solid, you should be getting very good MicroCell coverage but as soon as you walk outside and out of range, handing off becomes a problem if the tower is too far away. Disabling LTE works for some because of the hand off issue. Keep in mind that the iPhone (and all phones for that matter) set their transmission strengths in realtionship to what it detects from the MicroCell and some phones are just more roubust at that than others. I'm glad that you received good Customer Support because more times than not, what's reported here are less than happy campers with Support, so it's nice to hear something positive for a change.

I understand your frustration. The MicroCell, under the best of circumstances has a range of about  5,000 square feet but there are quite a few variables that can affect that. You might want to check out the MicroCell Technical Guide that I just posted to get a better idea of what's going on with the MicroCell (which is a VoIP device btw). It covers how the MicroCell connects and handing off isses. If you're not close to a tower (greater than 2 miles away) then as long as your internet connection is fast and solid, you should be getting very good MicroCell coverage but as soon as you walk outside and out of range, handing off becomes a problem if the tower is too far away. Disabling LTE works for some because of the hand off issue. Keep in mind that the iPhone (and all phones for that matter) set their transmission strengths in realtionship to what it detects from the MicroCell and some phones are just more roubust at that than others. I'm glad that you received good Customer Support because more times than not, what's reported here are less than happy campers with Support, so it's nice to hear something positive for a change.

27 of 38 (5,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 9:13:54 PM
(0)
Voyager

@Otto Pylot..I know the micro cell is a VOIP device, I just think it's silly to need it when the technology is there to allow the actual phone to communicate with my WiFi router/access points throughout the property. It's the cell phone carries that do not want the phones to do this because it has the potential to save the customers on minutes and data. What about WiFi sharing and opensource? There are some droid device that can be hacked to do this but the iphone cannot. I have a surveillance drone that I use to patrol my property that connects to the WiFi signal I have spread throughout my 14 acres. This is well above the range of this micro cell so while I can now enjoy the intermittent use of my cell phone in my home, I cannot down by our private lake. T-mobile has quietly offered WiFi capable cell phones since 2007 yet none of the other major carriers do. Instead we have a stand alone hardware based micro cell device that does what simple software could do if the big carriers actually cared about their customer base. Your tech guide is great for those that lack the understanding of how things work but I seriously doubt that these people could program a drone to fly around a 14 acre perimeter without failure. Forbes wrote a nice article about these AT&T micro cells and with all of the research I have conducted it looks like a 50% satisfaction number at best. Verizon is willing to give us a 30 day trial with new iphones to compare to our current AT&T plan. They are confident that we will leave AT&T and that we will have full use of our phones in our home and down by the lake. That is a hard offer to refuse even though we'll pay about $30 more per month for both phones.

-Peace

@Otto Pylot..I know the micro cell is a VOIP device, I just think it's silly to need it when the technology is there to allow the actual phone to communicate with my WiFi router/access points throughout the property. It's the cell phone carries that do not want the phones to do this because it has the potential to save the customers on minutes and data. What about WiFi sharing and opensource? There are some droid device that can be hacked to do this but the iphone cannot. I have a surveillance drone that I use to patrol my property that connects to the WiFi signal I have spread throughout my 14 acres. This is well above the range of this micro cell so while I can now enjoy the intermittent use of my cell phone in my home, I cannot down by our private lake. T-mobile has quietly offered WiFi capable cell phones since 2007 yet none of the other major carriers do. Instead we have a stand alone hardware based micro cell device that does what simple software could do if the big carriers actually cared about their customer base. Your tech guide is great for those that lack the understanding of how things work but I seriously doubt that these people could program a drone to fly around a 14 acre perimeter without failure. Forbes wrote a nice article about these AT&T micro cells and with all of the research I have conducted it looks like a 50% satisfaction number at best. Verizon is willing to give us a 30 day trial with new iphones to compare to our current AT&T plan. They are confident that we will leave AT&T and that we will have full use of our phones in our home and down by the lake. That is a hard offer to refuse even though we'll pay about $30 more per month for both phones.

-Peace

28 of 38 (5,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 9:32:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I can't argue with your points becuase they are all vaild. WiFi voice for your situation sounds like the only viable alernative for you. I haven't seen the Forbes article so I can't comment on the satisfaction numbers but considering all of the variables involved in getting a femtocell to work in general (including Verizon's), 50% might not seem as bad as it appears. I'd take Verizon up on their offer and see. Maybe they have better tower coverage around your property so the WiFi would be moot.

I can't argue with your points becuase they are all vaild. WiFi voice for your situation sounds like the only viable alernative for you. I haven't seen the Forbes article so I can't comment on the satisfaction numbers but considering all of the variables involved in getting a femtocell to work in general (including Verizon's), 50% might not seem as bad as it appears. I'd take Verizon up on their offer and see. Maybe they have better tower coverage around your property so the WiFi would be moot.

29 of 38 (5,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 6:47:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi.  Found this thread after google search of same issue.  I have had the Microcell for 3 or 4 years now, starting with an iphone 3S.  Worked ok and didn't seem to have an issue.  Have been struggling with it now with my iphone 5 for sometime now (same dropped connection issues) and almost threw the whole ATT thing out the window for a different/better provider.  It gets really annoying when I am standing RIGHT NEXT TO THE MICROCELL and not get a call, or if I am lucky to get one, it drops!

My Microcell is next to a window and has always been.  I have ATT extreme DSL (the fastest they offer), U-Verse and a bridged wireless N modem (too bad ATT didn't put a "n" chip in their U-verse modem, huh?) that covers the house well, so I am spending a heck of a lot of money to be getting such crappy service (did I mention the 3 cell phones too?).

I have read all the posts here and besides replacing the microcell, there doesn't seem to be much alternative...and even then it is a crap shoot if the replacement will work.  On another thread somewhere else, there was a post about disactivating the microcell then reactivating it...has anyone tried that?  Here is the best answer that seemed to work for users there:  "Apparently it's now been fixed, you need to deactivate and reactivate your Microcell which forces a software upgrade to it then toggle airplane mode on and off on your phone and you should be back in business."

Problem is, I can't find out where to deactivate the microcell in the setting page?  Anyone else have any working solution?  I'm about done with this issue...

Thanks

Hi.  Found this thread after google search of same issue.  I have had the Microcell for 3 or 4 years now, starting with an iphone 3S.  Worked ok and didn't seem to have an issue.  Have been struggling with it now with my iphone 5 for sometime now (same dropped connection issues) and almost threw the whole ATT thing out the window for a different/better provider.  It gets really annoying when I am standing RIGHT NEXT TO THE MICROCELL and not get a call, or if I am lucky to get one, it drops!

My Microcell is next to a window and has always been.  I have ATT extreme DSL (the fastest they offer), U-Verse and a bridged wireless N modem (too bad ATT didn't put a "n" chip in their U-verse modem, huh?) that covers the house well, so I am spending a heck of a lot of money to be getting such crappy service (did I mention the 3 cell phones too?).

I have read all the posts here and besides replacing the microcell, there doesn't seem to be much alternative...and even then it is a crap shoot if the replacement will work.  On another thread somewhere else, there was a post about disactivating the microcell then reactivating it...has anyone tried that?  Here is the best answer that seemed to work for users there:  "Apparently it's now been fixed, you need to deactivate and reactivate your Microcell which forces a software upgrade to it then toggle airplane mode on and off on your phone and you should be back in business."

Problem is, I can't find out where to deactivate the microcell in the setting page?  Anyone else have any working solution?  I'm about done with this issue...

Thanks

30 of 38 (5,021 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments