3G MicroCell Loses Connection

3G MicroCell Loses Connection

I have a WF720 AT&T Wireless Home Phone, iPhone 5 and the AT&T 3G MicroCell.  Both the WF720 and iPhone5 lose connection with the 3G MicroCell.  If I reboot the MicroCell, they will reconnect.  However, somewhere during the day it will lose connection again and I’ll have to reboot the MicroCell (again) to re-establish a connection (some times 2-3 times a day).  Since we have limited AT&T coverage in our area, this is a real problem.  It seems to me to be the MicroCell since both of the AT&T wireless phones lose connection. 

I have Comcast as my ISP and get 25Mb down speed and 5Mb up speed.  The MicroCell is connected directly to my Linksys dual band router, which in turn is connected to my Motorola SB6120 Surfboard Cable Modem with DOCSIS 3.0.  It all works great as my home network with 4/ea iOS devices, DirecTV, wireless printers, PCs, etc.  When the WF720 and iPhone 5 lose their connection, I still have all lights “ON SOLID” at the 3G MicroCell unit.  It is a mystery to me.

If anyone can assist, I would appreciate your assistance.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 38 (9,325 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: 3G MicroCell Loses Connection

Just curious, but why do you have the Wireless Home Phone and a MicroCell? The Wireless Home Phone is basically used to replace a landline and where the MicroCell is not used or works well. I'm not up to speed yet on the Home Phone but it's my uderstanding that it uses the AT&T cellular network to connect your cordless phones like a landline. It does not use the MicroCell but attempts to connect to a local tower so you can use your cordless phones and not a cell phone. If you have poor cell phone coverage because the towers are too far away, then I would think that the Wireless Home Phone would have a hard time connecting as well. It also transmits a signal which may be interferring with the MicroCell (or confusing it). The Wireless Home Phone is not registered to the MicroCell (as far as I know) so you don't need, or use, the MicroCell. I would disconnect the Wireless Home Phone, make sure the MicroCell has solid green lights (Power, Internet, GPS, and 3G) and then just use your iPhone 5 and see what happens. Then try the reverse.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 38 (9,142 Views)

The “WF720” AT&T Wireless Home Phone does replace the land line, but works just like a cell phone by connecting to the nearest (strongest) cell tower (there is no landline).  Since we have limited AT&T bars (sometimes no service) the 3G MicroCell acts as our Cell Tower to get us acceptable service.  When we lose connection and don’t know it, the calls go into voice mail.  It is also a pain to have to reboot the 3G MicroCell 2-3 times a day.  The MicroCell is made and sold as an accessory to the AT&T Wireless Service (cell phone or wireless home phone).  And yes, both the Cell Phone and the Wireless Home Phone (WF720) do connect to the MicroCell and work great when properly connected. 

Message 3 of 38 (9,024 Views)

[ Edited ]

Also, should anyone want to know, Yes, I contacted AT&T Support and have a case number but no follow-up on AT&T’s part.  AT&T Support sent me a message with Case Number *** indicating they sent it to o engineering concerning my Microcell issue. 

[edited for privacy]

Message 4 of 38 (9,017 Views)
ACE - Master

To keep things simple for everyone, it would probably be best if you just respond to one of your posts as they are the same issue and it would be easier to follow and repond to just one. Maybe the mods can consolidate them into one for simplicity.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 38 (8,999 Views)

OK, I agree with you.  Another person from the community sent me a private message stating that “duplicate” had been archived so we could focus on this one.  If I’m wrong, please let me know.

Message 6 of 38 (8,980 Views)
ACE - Master

That was probably from our mod. You're fine. We'll keep this one going as long as need be.

Message 7 of 38 (8,964 Views)

[ Edited ]

UPDATE – no response from AT&T regarding Case Number “***”. 

I continue to have the problem of “losing connection” with the 3G MicroCell 1 or 2 times per day with both the WF720 and iPhone 5.  Since it affects both those units, I continue to suspect the issue (or anomaly) is with the 3G Microcell.  Regarding the Microcell, I have moved it to 4 different locations within my house and have experienced the exactly same problem.  And when (or during) the “lost connection” all of the lights remain ON SOLID.  Seems the only way to reestablish connection is to POWER OFF for 10 seconds and POWER BACK ON. 

Question – is it possible we are getting a BLAST of good AT&T signal occasionaly (4 or 5 bars) when we normally only have 1 bar?  If so, is it possible the 3G MicroCell loses its connection to a STRONGER SIGNAL and then does not reconnect when the signal degrades back to the normal 1 bar?  The mystery continues!

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Message 8 of 38 (8,830 Views)
ACE - Master

If the signal strength from the tower fluctuates wildly then yes, your MicroCell will have issues. The same would hold true for the Wireless Home Phone. Same principle. In theory, when you first activate the MicroCell, it will adjust it's transmitter power to the detected cell tower so that the MicroCell signal doesn't interfere with the tower. The greater the tower signal, the lower the MicroCell signal to your phone. Everytime the MicroCell is activated (re-booted) it will scan for tower strength and adjust it's signal transmission power accordingly. The phones (cellular) also adjust their transmitter power as well depending on the received  MicroCell signal. Cellular tower transmission signal strength should be steady so after the initial MicroCell activation, the MicroCell has correctly adjusted it's transmission signal strength. Even after re-boots or deactiviation/reactivation, the adjusments are the same. It is possible that the MicroCell is defective but if I remember correctly, your closest tower is like 8 miles away, which is pretty far, and there are possible obstacles in the way that could affect your received tower signal strength.

Message 9 of 38 (8,818 Views)

OK, I understand and thank you for the explanation. 

Now, as a customer, what do I do?  Suffer through the re-boot process every day, sometime 2-3 times?  Or, do I expect AT&T to correct this anomaly?  Or, do I return the unit as defective?  Seems I’m a captive slave here. I need the 3G MicroCell to utilize the two phones.  Your thought are appreciated.

Message 10 of 38 (8,724 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Your issue seems to be in a gray area due to the unusually long distance to the nearest cell tower. If AT&T installed a closer cell tower that my solve your issue but I doubt that's going to happen. What are your internet speeds and what kind of connection do you have? I forget if we discussed that. How is Verizon coverage in your area? Do you know anyone who has Verizon and can they get decent cell phone coverage in your home? I know Verizon also offers femtocells for the same reason that AT&T does, and maybe if their cell towers are closer......

I went back and saw that you have Comcast with good download speeds. Have you connected directly to the cable modem (priority connection) bypassing the router? That rules out any configuration issues with the router. If you've contacted ATTCustomerCare you should be dealing with one individual who has been assigned to  your case. If priority mode deoesn't work, ask for a MicroCell replacement. Maybe it's the unit. Comcast doesn't always play nice so maybe it has something to do with DOCSIS 3.0.

Message 11 of 38 (8,716 Views)
ACE - Master

@richard599 - I forgot to ask but have you sent a pm to ATTCustomerCare yet? Just use the blue envelope in the upper right hand corner of this page. That by-passes phone support and bascially assigns one person to your case. Just detail your issue, what you have done to troubleshoot (in detail if possible), the case # that phone support assigned,  your setup, account information, and phone number.

Message 12 of 38 (8,693 Views)

[ Edited ]

UPDATE –regarding AT&T and Case Number [edited for privacy]

I talked with AT&T support today and they have decided to replace our 3G MicroCell.  Hopefully, this will be the solution to our dilemma.

Message 13 of 38 (8,685 Views)

Thank you for the information regarding PM.  We will wait to see how the replacement unit works.  Best regards,

Message 14 of 38 (8,682 Views)
ACE - Master

Ok. Let us know if your issues persist with the replacement MicroCell. If issues still occur, pm ATTCustomerCare.

Message 15 of 38 (8,672 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.