2G only sites all disappeared from AT&T coverage maps - not replaced

Professor

2G only sites all disappeared from AT&T coverage maps - not replaced

What happened to all of the rural 2G coverage on AT&T ?

It appears that all of the rural 2G coverage (nationally) has 'disappeared'.  Areas like the UP of Michigan now like inverted swiss cheese - dots of coverage vs. a few holes.  This isn't just the UP, but it appears to be everywhere in the country.

Was this a bad joke for AT&T's attempt at having 3G match 2G by the end of 2013 ?(effectively shutting down 2G so that 3G matches )

Message 1 of 5 (885 Views)
Community Manager

Re: 2G only sites all disappeared from AT&T coverage maps - not replaced

Hi, formercanuck!

Thanks for posting. It looks like Tpeltz may have answered your question here.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (780 Views)
Professor

It doesn't look like it - the discussion goes further down.

Many areas across northern MI and the UP are showing 'No Coverage' instead of '2G'.  Is there an issue with the map itself ?  Many areas like Drummond Island which were covered (site in the middle of the island) now show 'No Service' in that area. - Eg. 33697 South Maxton Road, Drummond, MI

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33697+South+Maxton+Road,+Drummond,+MI&hl=en&ll=46.016694,-83.689213&s...

Message 3 of 5 (761 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I think they just removed them from the map FormerCanuck. The 2G sites are still live and broadcasting (like the one on Drummond Island). They will most likely be added to the maps again once converted. It is weird and somewhat counter intuitive, but who knows. I still get EDGE in places that the 5Mhz UMTS channel doesn't reach, so it's definitely still active. 

Message 4 of 5 (732 Views)
Professor

It appears that they have fixed the maps... looks like coverage has returned on the maps.

Message 5 of 5 (664 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.