Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 13, 2013
10:42:16 AM
View profile
2G only sites all disappeared from AT&T coverage maps - not replaced

What happened to all of the rural 2G coverage on AT&T ?

It appears that all of the rural 2G coverage (nationally) has 'disappeared'.  Areas like the UP of Michigan now like inverted swiss cheese - dots of coverage vs. a few holes.  This isn't just the UP, but it appears to be everywhere in the country.

Was this a bad joke for AT&T's attempt at having 3G match 2G by the end of 2013 ?(effectively shutting down 2G so that 3G matches )

What happened to all of the rural 2G coverage on AT&T ?

It appears that all of the rural 2G coverage (nationally) has 'disappeared'.  Areas like the UP of Michigan now like inverted swiss cheese - dots of coverage vs. a few holes.  This isn't just the UP, but it appears to be everywhere in the country.

Was this a bad joke for AT&T's attempt at having 3G match 2G by the end of 2013 ?(effectively shutting down 2G so that 3G matches )

2G only sites all disappeared from AT&T coverage maps - not replaced

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 7:09:05 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hi, formercanuck!

Thanks for posting. It looks like Tpeltz may have answered your question here.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hi, formercanuck!

Thanks for posting. It looks like Tpeltz may have answered your question here.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: 2G only sites all disappeared from AT&T coverage maps - not replaced

2 of 5 (773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 2:21:23 PM
(0)
Professor

It doesn't look like it - the discussion goes further down.

Many areas across northern MI and the UP are showing 'No Coverage' instead of '2G'.  Is there an issue with the map itself ?  Many areas like Drummond Island which were covered (site in the middle of the island) now show 'No Service' in that area. - Eg. 33697 South Maxton Road, Drummond, MI

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33697+South+Maxton+Road,+Drummond,+MI&hl=en&ll=46.016694,-83.689213&s...

It doesn't look like it - the discussion goes further down.

Many areas across northern MI and the UP are showing 'No Coverage' instead of '2G'.  Is there an issue with the map itself ?  Many areas like Drummond Island which were covered (site in the middle of the island) now show 'No Service' in that area. - Eg. 33697 South Maxton Road, Drummond, MI

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33697+South+Maxton+Road,+Drummond,+MI&hl=en&ll=46.016694,-83.689213&spn=0.041306,0.099134&sll=46.016834,-83.689037&layer=c&cbp=13,289.11,,0,-8&cbll=46.016823,-83.689069&hnear=33697+S+Maxton+Rd,+Drummond,+Michigan+49726&t=m&z=14&panoid=ISxpkp0hpcoYr9dUfwy9uA

3 of 5 (754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 8:24:53 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Tpeltz on Dec 18, 2013 at 8:25:25 PM

I think they just removed them from the map FormerCanuck. The 2G sites are still live and broadcasting (like the one on Drummond Island). They will most likely be added to the maps again once converted. It is weird and somewhat counter intuitive, but who knows. I still get EDGE in places that the 5Mhz UMTS channel doesn't reach, so it's definitely still active. 

I think they just removed them from the map FormerCanuck. The 2G sites are still live and broadcasting (like the one on Drummond Island). They will most likely be added to the maps again once converted. It is weird and somewhat counter intuitive, but who knows. I still get EDGE in places that the 5Mhz UMTS channel doesn't reach, so it's definitely still active. 

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 9:58:00 AM
(0)
Professor

It appears that they have fixed the maps... looks like coverage has returned on the maps.

It appears that they have fixed the maps... looks like coverage has returned on the maps.

5 of 5 (657 Views)