Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 15, 2013
12:32:31 PM
View profile
20 month upgrade eligibility taken away from me

In short I joined AT&T 18 months ago, and decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy after the many rave reviews. 9 months into it, my phone went to crap and I haven't been able to get a new one since.  I don't expect anything for free, and new what I committed so I counted the days until November (20 months) to upgrade to the Iphone.  Low and behold AT&T decided that because my phone had been suspended (literally for minutes) that I no longer was a valued customer and extended my upgrade elegibility to April.

It just goes to show you that you should always read the fine, extra fine print in any lengthy contract, even if it is for a cell phone.

I have spent hours after hours on the phone with representatives only to get no where and be told I can by the 16g Iphone for $500 in November or wait it out.  So now I am considering paying the $125 ETF, and going somewhere else.

It's a shame that AT&T spends millions on baiting new customers over, but they won't spend a single dime or consider making exceptions for the customers they do have.

In short I joined AT&T 18 months ago, and decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy after the many rave reviews. 9 months into it, my phone went to crap and I haven't been able to get a new one since.  I don't expect anything for free, and new what I committed so I counted the days until November (20 months) to upgrade to the Iphone.  Low and behold AT&T decided that because my phone had been suspended (literally for minutes) that I no longer was a valued customer and extended my upgrade elegibility to April.

It just goes to show you that you should always read the fine, extra fine print in any lengthy contract, even if it is for a cell phone.

I have spent hours after hours on the phone with representatives only to get no where and be told I can by the 16g Iphone for $500 in November or wait it out.  So now I am considering paying the $125 ETF, and going somewhere else.

It's a shame that AT&T spends millions on baiting new customers over, but they won't spend a single dime or consider making exceptions for the customers they do have.

20 month upgrade eligibility taken away from me

8 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 12:58:05 PM
(0)
Expert

mccammon2004 wrote:

be aware that sprint and verizon are also 24 month upgrade cycles. You can always go to t-mobile for their jump program, you just have to agree to pay ful price for the device over a monthly charge + 10.00 a month additonal, after that you can trade in every 6 months, by trade in meaning give them the phone back in fully working conditions.

ATT went to the industry wide 24 month upgrade awhile back, if your contract ends before March 01, 2014 you kept the 20 month cycle, if it ends on on or after Mar 01,2014 then you got bumped to 24 months. If you need to upgrade youi might qualify for a early upgrade - subsidized price of the phone plus 250.00 + 36 activation. For a iphone 5 16GB that would be 449.00, I think they also allow other phones, for a subsidized SIII at 99.99 + 250.00 + 36.00 activation.

If you completed 18 months of the contract your ETF is 145.00 not 125.00.  It is 325.00 - (10*18 = 180) = 145.00 + final bill.

ATT spends the exact same amount on new customers as they do to retain customers that have completed the binding 2 year service agreement that was signed to get the previous subsidized phone, both new and completed contract customers pay the exact same amount for a new handset.  If youlook at 3rd party carrier retailers like Amazon - they actually have two different subsidized prices for new cell customers or upgrrading cell customers, the ones that are upgrading gets charged a higher price for the device then a new customer since amazon has a better profit incentive from the carriers for new customers.

You agreed to completing 2 years of a binding contract so that you could get a very expensive smartphone for a small portion of the cost. ATT is doing the same route as t-mobile and offering th next program, kicker is yu have to be out of contract with att to switch to it, that stipulation makes perfect sense.

mccammon2004 wrote:

be aware that sprint and verizon are also 24 month upgrade cycles. You can always go to t-mobile for their jump program, you just have to agree to pay ful price for the device over a monthly charge + 10.00 a month additonal, after that you can trade in every 6 months, by trade in meaning give them the phone back in fully working conditions.

ATT went to the industry wide 24 month upgrade awhile back, if your contract ends before March 01, 2014 you kept the 20 month cycle, if it ends on on or after Mar 01,2014 then you got bumped to 24 months. If you need to upgrade youi might qualify for a early upgrade - subsidized price of the phone plus 250.00 + 36 activation. For a iphone 5 16GB that would be 449.00, I think they also allow other phones, for a subsidized SIII at 99.99 + 250.00 + 36.00 activation.

If you completed 18 months of the contract your ETF is 145.00 not 125.00.  It is 325.00 - (10*18 = 180) = 145.00 + final bill.

ATT spends the exact same amount on new customers as they do to retain customers that have completed the binding 2 year service agreement that was signed to get the previous subsidized phone, both new and completed contract customers pay the exact same amount for a new handset.  If youlook at 3rd party carrier retailers like Amazon - they actually have two different subsidized prices for new cell customers or upgrrading cell customers, the ones that are upgrading gets charged a higher price for the device then a new customer since amazon has a better profit incentive from the carriers for new customers.

You agreed to completing 2 years of a binding contract so that you could get a very expensive smartphone for a small portion of the cost. ATT is doing the same route as t-mobile and offering th next program, kicker is yu have to be out of contract with att to switch to it, that stipulation makes perfect sense.

Re: 20 month upgrade eligibility taken away from me

2 of 9 (8,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 1:58:18 PM
(0)
Community Support
Edited by beckyww on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:46:08 AM

Hi mccammon2004,

I just wanted to check in and let you know that we received your private message. One of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Here's handy links to view upgrade eligibility or  downgrade/change your service online.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi mccammon2004,

I just wanted to check in and let you know that we received your private message. One of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Here's handy links to view upgrade eligibility or  downgrade/change your service online.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (8,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 5:01:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Oct 7, 2013 at 8:59:02 PM

My 2 years contract with ATT ends on March 6, 2014. I expected to upgrade in November so that I can give the phone to my son as a Christmas gift. This was the ATT agent told me back then, "sign up now, you can get a new phone in November 2013 and use it as a gift for Christmas". 

Here is my chat with att

Richele: I am showing that your line will be eligible for a upgrade at the full discounted price on 03/06/2014,

Me: I have had the phone for 20 months and when I signed up I was told I could upgrade after 20 months. Now ATT can just change that? Shouldn't I be grandfathered in?

Richele: This may be due to the policy changed in June from 20 months on contract to 24 months, this effected all new customers and existing customers that contracts end after March 2014

Me: How could you do that? Is that even legal?

Richele: Yes the policy can change, a notice was placed on each bill in April that it was going to be changing. I apologize for the inconvenience

Me: So my contract ends on March 6. That was just 6 days short. Are you going to help me out?

Richele: What type of device are you looking to upgrade to?

Me: I have an iphone 4s and I like to upgrade to a 5s.

Richele: I apologize, we are not able to change the upgrade date for any iPhones. 

It just sucks that they could change their policy at will. 

[edited for privacy]

My 2 years contract with ATT ends on March 6, 2014. I expected to upgrade in November so that I can give the phone to my son as a Christmas gift. This was the ATT agent told me back then, "sign up now, you can get a new phone in November 2013 and use it as a gift for Christmas". 

Here is my chat with att

Richele: I am showing that your line will be eligible for a upgrade at the full discounted price on 03/06/2014,

Me: I have had the phone for 20 months and when I signed up I was told I could upgrade after 20 months. Now ATT can just change that? Shouldn't I be grandfathered in?

Richele: This may be due to the policy changed in June from 20 months on contract to 24 months, this effected all new customers and existing customers that contracts end after March 2014

Me: How could you do that? Is that even legal?

Richele: Yes the policy can change, a notice was placed on each bill in April that it was going to be changing. I apologize for the inconvenience

Me: So my contract ends on March 6. That was just 6 days short. Are you going to help me out?

Richele: What type of device are you looking to upgrade to?

Me: I have an iphone 4s and I like to upgrade to a 5s.

Richele: I apologize, we are not able to change the upgrade date for any iPhones. 

It just sucks that they could change their policy at will. 

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (7,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 10:11:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

They can, as an upgrade would start a new contract.  The offer for a new subsidized device is not part of the old contract, but is a separate policy that can change at any time.

They can't do exceptions for you for six days; who would decide where the cutoff for exceptions should be?  I'm two days behind you on March 8th.  If they made the exception for you but not for me, it could make me upset with AT&T.

They can, as an upgrade would start a new contract.  The offer for a new subsidized device is not part of the old contract, but is a separate policy that can change at any time.

They can't do exceptions for you for six days; who would decide where the cutoff for exceptions should be?  I'm two days behind you on March 8th.  If they made the exception for you but not for me, it could make me upset with AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (7,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 12:35:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

att sucks, ive been with them for 6 years have never asked for an early upgrade, when i do they deny it because i dont meet qualifications. so by the end of the month ill be going to a different company.. which paying the cancellation fee will b so worth

mccammon2004 wrote:

att sucks, ive been with them for 6 years have never asked for an early upgrade, when i do they deny it because i dont meet qualifications. so by the end of the month ill be going to a different company.. which paying the cancellation fee will b so worth

mccammon2004 wrote:

6 of 9 (7,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 1:49:30 PM
(0)
Teacher
Which company pays for the cancellation fee?
Which company pays for the cancellation fee?

7 of 9 (7,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 6:07:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Friend, I had my 18 month upgrade eligibility taken away. See my post for more details if you care to enjoy on my pains. 

Friend, I had my 18 month upgrade eligibility taken away. See my post for more details if you care to enjoy on my pains. 

8 of 9 (7,367 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 8:28:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

The thing I don't understand is this makes no sense for the company. With a 20 month upgrade eligibility, there are still four months where you can't bail without an ETF with the new phones taunting you to upgrade and lock into another 24 month contract. Now once you can upgrade you are already free of the ETF and can jump ship without any penalty.

The thing I don't understand is this makes no sense for the company. With a 20 month upgrade eligibility, there are still four months where you can't bail without an ETF with the new phones taunting you to upgrade and lock into another 24 month contract. Now once you can upgrade you are already free of the ETF and can jump ship without any penalty.

9 of 9 (6,900 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments