1GB feature package not available on $25 monthly plan

Tutor

1GB feature package not available on $25 monthly plan

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I switched to ATT last month, porting my number (which was a painstaking process) under the assumption that I would be able to keep on using the $25 monthly plan for 250 minutes and unlimited text along WITH the $10, 1GB data feature package.

I was aware the plans were going to change and I wanted to make sure before porting my number and switching carrier that I could still use my preferred options after the changes. I was assured that would be the case. See below for a transcript of a chat conversation with one of your representatives (the same info was also given to me in store):

A couple of days ago, when it was time to renew my montly plan, along with the data package, I was NOT able to purchase the 1GB feature package for $10 as it is not available with the $25/250 minutes plan anymore.

The options I am left with are:

• $60 for unlimited talk and text with 1GB data. I used 115 minutes of talk and almost all of my data last month. The unlimited talk time is of no use to me. This means this plan forces me to pay $25/month more for the same usage.
  • $40 for 500 minutes and unlimited text and 200MB of data, add 8x$5/100MB. Ridiculous of course. (It would be $80/month)
  • $25 for 250 minutes and unlimited text, add 20x$5/50MB. $125/month.

Basically AT&T wants to force me to pay almost twice as much as I was without any added benefit as I don't use a lot of talk time, however I was told a month ago this would NOT happen. I feel I was scammed into porting my number to you guys (which by the way cost me money too) with false promises and straight lies.

Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 12 (806 Views)
Master

Re: 1GB feature package not available on $25 monthly plan

You're not the only person who has complained about this lately. Quite a few people are frustrated/disappointed to see that the 1GB data package is no longer available to use with the $25 monthly plan. In all honesty, it really wasn't a bad price before the new plans took effect.

Unfortunately when you switched carriers, the 1GB data package was not necessarily a part of the $25 plan; it was an optional add-on. I guess AT&T reserved the right to change it because it was not an included feature of the plan, so they chose to replace it with a very minuscule substitute.

I wouldn't say that you were "lied" to because you are still able to keep the included 250 minutes and unlimited messaging portion of your $25 plan should you decide to stick with it before other potential plan changes take place. However, if AT&T had any information about the new data packages associated with the changes to the plan, by all means they SHOULD have at least made you aware of them. 50MB is drastically smaller than 1GB. Even cutting the price in half from $10 for 1GB to $5 for 500MB would have been much more reasonable.

My advice to you if you would like to continue to stick with the $25 monthly plan is to severely limit your data usage and take advantage of Wi-Fi wherever it is accessible. If you find this to be an inconvenience or otherwise impossible, I would strongly recommend upgrading to the $40 monthly plan even though it is not very ideal for your voice minutes consumption. With the $40 plan you would get 200MB of data. 50MB x 4 sets = 200MB at $5 per set ($20), so if you stuck with the $25 plan, you would be paying $5 more for the same data allotment standard on the $40 plan, not to mention you would be getting double the voice minutes in return.

It really stinks that you got stuck in this situation right after AT&T decided to make changes to their plans. I hope that you can find the best plan that works for you and your needs! Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 12 (749 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your helpful reply! Smiley Happy

I overlooked the fact that the $40 plan had 200MB of data included so thank you for the reminder. Unfortunately, 200MB is very little, and I'd still basically be paying $5 more than what I expected for less of what counts for me. My usage varies on a montly basis but when I'm on the road I rely on data quite a lot for directions, communication, news and finding POI's.

I understand how AT&T would reserve the right to make any change to their plans, especially since prepaid aren't binded by a contract but I feel I was misguided into switching carrier which is dubious practice at best and very frustrating.

In the meantime I have canceled the auto-renewal I had setup and I'll be shopping around for another carrier if there is no getting back the data plan I was promised.

Message 3 of 12 (734 Views)
Highlighted
Master

[ Edited ]

vps2606 wrote:

Thank you for your helpful reply! Smiley Happy

I overlooked the fact that the $40 plan had 200MB of data included so thank you for the reminder. Unfortunately, 200MB is very little, and I'd still basically be paying $5 more than what I expected for less of what counts for me. My usage varies on a montly basis but when I'm on the road I rely on data quite a lot for directions, communication, news and finding POI's.

I understand how AT&T would reserve the right to make any change to their plans, especially since prepaid aren't binded by a contract but I feel I was misguided into switching carrier which is dubious practice at best and very frustrating.

In the meantime I have canceled the auto-renewal I had setup and I'll be shopping around for another carrier if there is no getting back the data plan I was promised. 

You are welcome! Smiley Happy

It's probably a good thing that you canceled auto-renewal just in case you decide to move elsewhere. I don't blame you - I would consider switching to another carrier if the plans and options that I wanted were unexpectedly changed on me what seemed like overnight. You can try calling AT&T customer service and asking if you would still be able to use the 1GB data package in accordance with your $25 monthly plan, but I can guarantee that they will tell you that the 1GB package has been discontinued and can no longer be used with your plan. You would have to keep repeatedly buying the same 50MB package over and over again according to your data needs. 

On that note, I can recommend two other GSM carriers that your current AT&T phone would be compatible with. Of course, the phone would have to be unlocked if it isn't already, should you decide to continue using it. 

• T-Mobile prepaid. The best plan for you would be the $30 monthly plan, which includes unlimited text and web, but a mere 100 minutes of talk. If you were to go this route, you would have to monitor your voice usage pretty closely or risk running out of minutes. Also, I would assume that the unlimited web portion of the plan would be compatible with a smartphone, but I'm not completely sure as I'm not very familiar with T-Mobile. You can check out their plans here: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans (Click on 'Which plan is right for you?') 

Message 4 of 12 (677 Views)
Tutor

Thanks Banchi!

I had the T-Mobile plan you mentioned before and unfortunately their coverage isn't reliable enough on the road.

As for Straight Talk, I seriously considered it until they stopped offering iPhone SIM cards. It seems ST isn't using, or at least trying to quit using ATT's network.

Message 5 of 12 (651 Views)
Master

I see...

If Straight Talk did stop offering iPhone microSIMs or even nano-SIMs, you could probably cut one down with a SIM cutter to use it, anyway. That's what I did with my GoPhone plan. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12 (615 Views)
Tutor

Thanks, I'm aware of this workaround but I wonder if the fact ST stopped mentioning ATT compatibility means they won't be using their network which would mean ST coverage would become as spotty as T-Mobile's then.

Message 7 of 12 (554 Views)
Master

Hmm, I don't know on that one... I suppose it's worth a try, if you're willing to go through all the trouble of porting your number and setting up a new account?

Message 8 of 12 (551 Views)
Tutor

Wild Banchi wrote:
...if you're willing to go through all the trouble of porting your number and setting up a new account?

That's the thing though. It's like a gamble.

I won't need much data this month so I will be investigating these various options and will report back.

Thanks again for your help!

Message 9 of 12 (548 Views)
Master

True - you never know what you're gonna get!

Sounds good! You're welcome! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12 (545 Views)
Teacher

I think that is exactly what it means.

The only two options are T-mo and AT&T. AT&T with the new rules effectively raised their prices substantially. With the old plan, you could have the $25/month with $25/1Gig data, now you need to have the $60/month. ST is an MNVO, uses someone else's network. If only T-mo is an option, you are back at the problem of the limited T-mo coverage outside of major towns. I don't know but I bet that a ST T-mo SIM will not roam on AT&T. Kind of a sharp contrast both in cross roaming rules and in prices when compared with Europe.

Message 11 of 12 (538 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Actually the old plan was $25/month and $10/1GB data. So indeed, prices have been raised substantially.

Like I said above, the fact that I was told I would get to keep using the old plan/feature package is what really gets to me. $25/month extra is considerable for what would effectively bring no added benefit to me.

I think you may be right about the fact that ST using T-Mo will bring back the problems I had with coverage.

Message 12 of 12 (532 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.