10cent per minute plan to smartphone possible?

10cent per minute plan to smartphone possible?

[ Edited ]

Hello, I'm on the gophone no contract 10 cent per minute plan. Is it possible for me to purchase an AT&T GoPhone - ZTE Radiant No-Contract Cell Phone or a AT&T GoPhone - Z998 4G No-Contract Cell Phone and have my current plan(10cent per minute) be useable for those phones? I don't want to have to buy  the phone only to realize that I can't use it and have to return it to the store. Also if its possible will my sim card fit into both of these phones? I just need a phone with good camera quality and for text and calls.

Really appreciate all the help and responses if anyone can help me out here.

Message 1 of 19 (3,734 Views)

Re: 10cent per minute plan to smartphone possible?

Anyone know?

Message 2 of 19 (3,662 Views)
Scholar

I believe you can't.
Message 3 of 19 (3,645 Views)
Master

b1_returns wrote:

Hello, I'm on the gophone no contract 10 cent per minute plan. Is it possible for me to purchase an AT&T GoPhone - ZTE Radiant No-Contract Cell Phone or a AT&T GoPhone - Z998 4G No-Contract Cell Phone and have my current plan(10cent per minute) be useable for those phones? I don't want to have to buy  the phone only to realize that I can't use it and have to return it to the store. Also if its possible will my sim card fit into both of these phones? I just need a phone with good camera quality and for text and calls.

Really appreciate all the help and responses if anyone can help me out here.

Technically, YES, you CAN, but you have to be careful about it. One of my family members is using an iPhone 4 on the $0.10 per minute plan (as of Aug. 2013) while the rest of us are on the $25 monthly plan. The only way this was possible was because I personally activated the phone and selected the plan myself. If you go to an AT&T store, they may tell you that either phone is not compatible with the $0.10 per minute plan. They may say that you are limited to the $25, $40, and $60 monthly plans. I promise, that is not the case as long as you are persistent. 

I presume you are using a standard sized SIM card in your current phone. Both the Radiant and the Z998 use microSIM cards, which may be a slight issue. MicroSIMs are smaller than regular sized SIM cards. I would usually recommend that you pay a visit to an AT&T store, but in this case, not so much. If I were you, I would highly recommend purchasing a microSIM cutter online from eBay or Amazon. You would use the tool to trim your existing SIM card without having to get a new one. It's literally as simple as using a stapler. Some microSIM cutters even come with several SIM adapters, which you could use to place your SIM back into a phone that uses a regular sized SIM slot other than a smartphone. This way, you can do everything fairly quickly without anyone trying to tell you "no." Even if you tried to obtain a microSIM card at an AT&T store, chances are that you still might run into trouble, and, quite frankly, be told conflicting (and annoying) information. 

The choice is ultimately up to you. The personal route I suggested above may not be comfortable for everyone, and that's fine. I guarantee you, though, it is the absolute best way to do what you would like to do. There's a very good chance that AT&T would not allow you to use a smartphone and remain on the $0.10 per minute plan if they knew what you would like to do. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 19 (3,632 Views)
Contributor

I found this under the go phone plan page under plan terms.

Pay Per Minute Plan: All voice calls and text messages are charged at the then prevailing per minute/per message rates. Messaging packages are available for an additional cost. Data service is available only on basic and quick messaging phones and charged at the then prevailing pay per use rate. Data packages are not available with this plan. Smartphone users are restricted to Wi-Fi data service on this plan

From what I see you would just be restricted to wifi. 

Message 5 of 19 (3,625 Views)
Master

nexus4 wrote:

I found this under the go phone plan page under plan terms.

Pay Per Minute Plan: All voice calls and text messages are charged at the then prevailing per minute/per message rates. Messaging packages are available for an additional cost. Data service is available only on basic and quick messaging phones and charged at the then prevailing pay per use rate. Data packages are not available with this plan. Smartphone users are restricted to Wi-Fi data service on this plan

From what I see you would just be restricted to wifi. 

Yes, this is correct. OP, if you are interested in using a data package, then you may want to consider upgrading to one of the higher dollar monthly plans. 

Message 6 of 19 (3,621 Views)

Thank you wild banchi for the informative response and everyone else for the replies.

Message 7 of 19 (3,610 Views)
Master

You are welcome!

Message 8 of 19 (3,597 Views)

i forgot to ask the HOW part, once i get the smartphone do I just put my newly cut microsimm into the phone and the smartphone would automatically detect that i'm using the10cent plan or is there a sequence of things I need to do in order for the smartphone to reconigize that i'm using 10cent per minute?

Message 9 of 19 (3,519 Views)
Master

b1_returns wrote:

i forgot to ask the HOW part, once i get the smartphone do I just put my newly cut microsimm into the phone and the smartphone would automatically detect that i'm using the10cent plan or is there a sequence of things I need to do in order for the smartphone to reconigize that i'm using 10cent per minute?

Yes, that is all you need to do. Remember that your rate plan and account information is tied to the SIM card. Just pop the SIM into the phone and be on your way. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 19 (3,515 Views)

Thanks banchi !!!

Message 11 of 19 (3,504 Views)
Master

You're welcome! Let us know how it works out for you!

Message 12 of 19 (3,499 Views)
Tutor

First of all thanks to Wild Banchi for all you do on this forum to help all of us.

I currently have an AT&T Avail. When I purchased it I was caught in a "time warp" when they offered the option of  selected data plans, ie 2Gb for $5 or whatever the numbers were that could be purchased as needed and then cancelled that pgm. for smartphones. . I bought a small amount of data and used it up. I have never bought more data and just use wifi as this phone is for travel use only. I spend $100 a year and keep using the phone. I want to get a new Samsung Galaxy Express which is on the AT&T Go Phone list. If you order that phone it will not allow you to select the $.10 a minute plan.  I am asking if you think I can go to the AT&T store and bring in both phones and have them transfer my Avail info and regular size sim card to a micro size sim card  and activate the Samsung phone for me without forcing me to change to a monthly plan that includes data. Or do you think that I can follow the same procedure that you provided for the original person who posted and started this thread?  I would hate to buy the phone and then get stuck with no way to use it.  As always, thanks for your help and advise.

Tom

Message 13 of 19 (3,486 Views)
Master

gvaztom wrote:

First of all thanks to Wild Banchi for all you do on this forum to help all of us.

You are most certainly welcome. It means a lot to hear someone say that. Smiley Happy

I currently have an AT&T Avail. When I purchased it I was caught in a "time warp" when they offered the option of  selected data plans, ie 2Gb for $5 or whatever the numbers were that could be purchased as needed and then cancelled that pgm. for smartphones. . I bought a small amount of data and used it up. I have never bought more data and just use wifi as this phone is for travel use only. I spend $100 a year and keep using the phone. I want to get a new Samsung Galaxy Express which is on the AT&T Go Phone list. If you order that phone it will not allow you to select the $.10 a minute plan.  I am asking if you think I can go to the AT&T store and bring in both phones and have them transfer my Avail info and regular size sim card to a micro size sim card  and activate the Samsung phone for me without forcing me to change to a monthly plan that includes data. Or do you think that I can follow the same procedure that you provided for the original person who posted and started this thread?  I would hate to buy the phone and then get stuck with no way to use it.  As always, thanks for your help and advise.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Honestly, if the AT&T website will not allow you to select the $0.10 per minute plan upon checkout, I would consider purchasing the phone elsewhere, i.e. eBay, Amazon, etc. If you would rather stick to purchasing the phone from AT&T, that is fine. I'm pretty sure that the checkout process allows you to choose whether you are a new or existing customer. I don't completely remember as the last time I purchased a phone from the website here was back when I first signed up in 2009. 

If you tried to transfer your account info from your current SIM and phone to a new SIM and phone in-store, I'm afraid that the employees there would tell you the same exact thing as I said above - you will need to choose a different monthly rate plan that accommodates smartphones in particular. In this case, I would strongly advise to go the route I suggested for the OP, which is to purchase a microSIM cutter and trim your SIM yourself. In my opinion, it's not worth wasting your time trying to argue with employees at an AT&T store.

If only the cell phone manufacturers could keep the SIM cards the same size...

Hope this helps! 

Message 14 of 19 (3,423 Views)
Tutor

Thanks Wild Banchi. I was planning on buying the phone from Amazon.

I used the AT&T web site to see what it would allow you to do. I looked at GO Phones and the Samsung Galaxy Express was on the list. When you go to select a plan (and select $.10 a minute) , and then select a phone to match the plan, the Galaxy disappears from the options list and you are left with the rest of the choices.

I looked on eBay for microSIM cutters. I assume that I need one that will fit AT&T. Most of the cutters I saw stated that they were for IPhones.  I really hate to be such a pain )&**% but I hate having to pay for stuff (a data plan)  when all I want is a decent phone. Just a quick note to let me know if I am correct about the cutter. 

I have not seen a response from OP about how her efforts turned out.

Once again, thanks for all the help for us technically challenged  !!!!

Tom

Message 15 of 19 (3,415 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.