Helpful Links

z221 - can i copy files over USB?

Tutor

z221 - can i copy files over USB?

I plugged the z221 into my pc, at which point it mounted as a removable drive but the only thing i could see was an install filer for drivers. I installed the drivers and now i dont get anything when I plug in the phone. windows makes the sound it usually makes when you plug in some new USB device. But beyond that, nothing.

I thought i could copy files to/from the phone over USB?

Using win7 x64

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
Tutor

Re: z221 - can i copy files over USB?

Anyone have an answer? Can you copy files over the USB connection off the phone or not? There's one picture from an MMS message i'd like to backup on my pc.

Message 2 of 9
Employee

Could just forward the message to your email address
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 9
Tutor

So does that mean there's no way to copy files over usb? Why was there some sort of driver install file when i first plugged the phone in then? What was that for?

Message 4 of 9
Employee

Every device has a driver. Basic phones typically have no way to transfer data unless they have a memory card but it will only copy stuff on the card nit the phone memory
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 9
Tutor

Ok. Can you tell me how i can email the file to myself then? I don't think I get email service with a go phone plan.

Message 6 of 9
Employee

Just forward the message. When it asks for the number enter the email address
Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 9
Tutor

Thanks, that worked. Didn't realize i could do that.

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

I tried buying a USB cord, but after connecting the cord and downloading the drivers, it never showed up under "My Computer" to open any files!)

Here is what worked. I got it from:http://lifehacker.com/5506326/how-can-i-send-an-email-via-text-message

I ended up texting my pics to my email from my phone and it worked!!! Here is how I did it:

First, you have to enter yourself as a contact in your address book, then be sure to add your email address in there. Without your email address in your address book, it will not work.

Next, select the photo in your "My Pictures" folder (or take a new one), push "options" , then "send", select "via message". A text message window will open, select "contacts", find your name (your phone number will be scrolling underneath your name) and then scroll to the RIGHT until you see your email address, select "check", then "done" which returns you to the text message window, then scroll down, and click "send".

You can also send multiple pictures in one text by scrolling down to the "text" box and instead of typing a message, select "options", then "insert", "picture", and find the picture you want. Depending on the size of the files, I was able to send 2-5 pictures in one text. (For some reason, you have to add one picture at a time to the text. It lets you select multiple photos at once for other purposes, but it doesn`t work in this scenario.)

NOTE: this process would work to email them to you or others, just make sure their email address is entered into your address book BEFORE you start the process.

Hope it helps!

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support