xperia X10 2.1 Update, When?

Tutor

xperia X10 2.1 Update, When?

Will we get the update this month(November) from Sony Ericson or from AT&T  Ive heard if from AT&T it wont happen. Anyone have REAL knowledge of where our update is coming from as it seems AT&T sits on Updates as long as they can.Im trying to decide if i need to return my phone and cancel if AT&T is going to delay things.

Message 1 of 131

Re: xperia X10 2.1 Update, When?

I did the root & flash with XDA and it was easy. Only problem I had was I couldn't connect to AT&T 3g network. Could call & text & wifi worked but not 3g data network. I found a thread on XDA about APN settings. I entered them manually into my phone & it started working. But the upside is I am now using the 4g network. I have an H on my phone instead of 3g now when I'm connected. Also was told the so called 4g network is actually 3.5g.

Message 91 of 131
Scholar

@chris_newton01 that's not correct. AT&T is not using the 4g network yet. The H stand for HSDPA. It's been around for a while. Some of at&t's phones can use that band, but will show 3g even if it's connected to H. The debranded rom will show the one you are connected to though. You were right that H is technically 3.5 though.
Message 92 of 131
Anonymous
N/A

Message 93 of 131
Anonymous
N/A

Sorry for the link. I'm using Opera Mini. blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/03/25/update-on-xperia™-x10/
Message 94 of 131
Scholar

I saw this last week. At&t will most likely not upgrade to 2.3.3 so when it comes out you'll need to debrand to a generic rom anyway. I got tired of waiting and flashed a 2.2 rom. It's pretty stable and has flash so I'm happy Smiley Happy
Message 95 of 131
Scholar

@spidertech;not entirely true. My C905a has the "H",even though we have 3G upstate NY. Will show "H" on 3G or the upgraded network.
Message 96 of 131
Highlighted
Teacher

I did the same thing.  Tired of waiting and decided to debrand.  Thank goodness I did.  Now, not only am I running 2.1, have multi-touch as well.  Much better and stable than AT&T's stock firmware.

Message 97 of 131
Scholar

frothe3 wrote:
@spidertech;not entirely true. My C905a has the "H",even though we have 3G upstate NY. Will show "H" on 3G or the upgraded network.

ok...um... If you have 3G you can still use H if your phone supports it. 4G is not H as H is essentially just 3.5. You cannot connect to 4G unless your phone is specifically a 4G device.

Message 98 of 131
Scholar

SE IS IN THE TRIAL STAGES FOR 2.1 OS!!! WTH. Asst to at&t CEO returned my call,saying "they are NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY UPDATES FOR THE MOBILE DEVICES." SE CSR refuses to commit to ANY TIMETABLE, says THE 2.1 OS UPDATE IS STILL IN TRIAL STAGES. RUBBISH!! Why are we in the U.S. being treated worse than a third world country when it concerns our mobile phone support??!!
I will be taking this up with the NYSAG'S office within the week.NO ONE IS TAKING RESPONSIBILITY.
Message 99 of 131
Scholar

What does this mean about the Gingerbread update? NO ONE AT EITHER END WILL COMMIT. I BLAME SE MORE THAN I'M BLAMING AT&T OVER THIS NONSENSE!!
Message 100 of 131
Scholar

frothe3 wrote:
What does this mean about the Gingerbread update? NO ONE AT EITHER END WILL COMMIT. I BLAME SE MORE THAN I'M BLAMING AT&T OVER THIS NONSENSE!!

Why are you blaming SE more than AT&T at this point? SE gave the update to them months ago. It's AT&T that is taking their sweet time pushing it out to their customers. Plus they're already phasing out the Vivaz too. I think this is one of the reasons SE decided to launch the Xperia Play on Verizon instead of AT&T.

This doesn't mean a thing for the Gingerbread update as Ricard even said in his blog post that the GB update would be for the generic versions first and maybe the customized operator versions next.

"Due to the resources available in this special project, we will focus on delivering trade versions of the software.  Regarding possible customized operators kit we will have to get back with more information on this at a later stage. But we want to be very clear already at this stage on the fact that some of you may not get this upgrade."

So basically if you want the update when they push it out, you would need to debrand to a generic version. If they will "eventually" make a customized version for carriers, AT&T customers will never see Gingerbread with the way they do things.

Message 101 of 131

A month ago, I had the phone flash through XDA and it was worth doing. I did stuggle on flashing it until I came across this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wacg-dsx9ew  really helps. 2.1 does run faster on the phone unlike 1.6 and there is no bloatware to worry about. I just need to caution people that if you are a user of Google Voice, you will need to install GVoice Callback. You can receive calls, but cannot make incoming calls.

Message 102 of 131
Contributor

Well the ATT store sales force was certainly pushing the update in Nov and Dec...if they are not responsible for updates why did they use it in the sales pitch to push these phones on the consumer....oh yea they needed to move inventory on a phone they knew they would not only not support but also not be selling 3 months later. You got me once ATT but you will not get me again!

Message 103 of 131
Tutor

According to Sony Ericcson's official blog, they will be releasing Android version 2.3.3 in Q2 or Q3.  When AT&T will offer the upgrade is anyone's guess. 

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/03/25/update-on-xperia™-x10/ 

Message 104 of 131
Contributor

I think I should mention that I jUST downloaded and installed the X10a 2.1 firmware onto my AT&T Xperia X10a. It was relatively a quick and painless process and took me just about 30 minutes to do, 20 of which were taken up by downloading the only 2 files required. Just google "flashtool n00bies", and you'll get the appropriate instructions (along with screenshots) on xda forums needed to update your phone to the generic firmware.

If anyone has any questions or needs any help, feel free to reply here or send me an e-mail, even though I doubt you'll need any help once you see what you need to do. I was on the apprehensive "what if something goes wrong" side, and it installed perfectly for me without a hitch.

Oh and 3G, wifi, and GPS all work and I've had no problems thus far.

Message 105 of 131
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support