xperia X10 2.1 Update, When?

Tutor

xperia X10 2.1 Update, When?

Will we get the update this month(November) from Sony Ericson or from AT&T  Ive heard if from AT&T it wont happen. Anyone have REAL knowledge of where our update is coming from as it seems AT&T sits on Updates as long as they can.Im trying to decide if i need to return my phone and cancel if AT&T is going to delay things.

Message 1 of 131 (22,476 Views)
Scholar

Re: xperia X10 2.1 Update, When?

well if it was the fault of AT&T that the 2.2 update was not out yet, wouldn't samsung show 2.2 on their site? Samsung doesn't have the 2.2 update for the captivate yet, so how could at&t have it?
Message 61 of 131 (3,927 Views)
Scholar

Samsung has it for the Galaxy S series, TM and Samsung worked together for the Vibrant update.

In any case, I just trying to make a point that at&t is notorious for holding up upgrades in the name of testing.

Back on topic, at this time the only way to upgrade to 2.1 is to de brand as others have mentioned.

I am on Global Generic and have to more minor upgrades from Sony after the major 2.1.
Message 62 of 131 (3,925 Views)
Scholar

slavchikd wrote:

just spoke with ATT rep. He confirmed that eligibility for unlocking my phone (which was purchased in Sep) comes in August 2011.

No matter how persistent I was sill couldn't get the unlock code. Furthermore I saw the video on YouTube, that shows when you press a secret menu you can see if you can unlock your phone by third party software. If you have 0 as value instead of 5 this means you can only take the official path and unlock thru service provider.    

I just called them as well and got basically the same answer. I was also told by a rather helpful CS rep that the Atrix will be the same way since it is also an at&t exclusive.

They must have changed the rules in the recent past.

Message 63 of 131 (3,499 Views)
boz
Contributor

at&t is dropping xperia x10 in march. Does this mean no update?
Message 64 of 131 (3,427 Views)
Scholar

That would be my guess but I hope I am wrong.
Message 65 of 131 (3,399 Views)

charlyee wrote:
Sony had started rolling out the upgrade from November of last year. The rest of the world has it through their providers except the US. Without a doubt it is at&t holding up the show.

Btw, you cannot root the phone and get the upgrade, you will need to flash with a non-at&t ROM to get the upgrade. It is an upgrade from Sony via their software.

I know you can't root the phone and get the upgrade without flashing to non-at&t rom. I'm just saying why would anyone want to void warranty on a phone just for Android 2.1.

Message 66 of 131 (3,162 Views)
Scholar

Foxboy, you can always flash back to the original rom if you ever needed to send it in for repair. It would be like it never happened.
Message 67 of 131 (3,158 Views)

I will end up flashing my phone if I don't get the update soon. My sister just got an HTC Incredible with 2.1 or 2.2 and it is heck alot better than 1.6.

Message 68 of 131 (3,155 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I would encourage all the poeple who have been left out in the cold by AT$T on this issue to check out this link. It's just getting started so please sign up:

{ Please keep it spam free }

For all who are thinking of flashing, i understand your frustration but that really lets AT$T off the hook.

Message 69 of 131 (2,720 Views)

Once upon a time a man bought what he thought was a great phone. And it was except for one thing. Even thought he was told that it's firmware would have an update released by the end of 2010, it never happened. He waited patiently. Afterall, how easy can it be to develop an update for a cell phone right?

December 2010 no update. And he waited...

January 2011 no update. And he waited...

February 2011 no update. But wait...

After reading many, many complaints online he discovered that the manufacturer had in fact released an update for the phone and that people in other countries were receiving it already. He also learned that the U.S. version was release but according to the mfg, AT&T needed to "approve" and make their own changes. "Don't panic..." the man told himself. Even though he had been through this nightmare before with the Blackjack II and the release of it's Windows update. The mfg blames the carrier, the carrier blames the mfg, and so on.

This time, the proof was there. Sony had released the update and it was available for all to see. So why would AT&T be so bold, if not stupid, enough to blame the mfg if they had the update posted and being updated everywhere but here? Simple. Because AT&T doesn't care. They don't care about the end user. They care if they don't get paid but not if their customer is unhappy.

So what was this man to do. He had a phone he liked but also wanted the update that would never come. Then he found Da Vinci. They helped him and now he is happy. Now he has a phone he loves with an updated firmware and he doesn't have to see AT&T's ugly logos on it in any area of the phone. He can install ANY app he wants - never to be blocked by the giants head and all for a mere $15. Life is good.

There it is folks. A little story. Complain all you want in this forum. You will never get what you are asking for through this orange and white monster. If you go out and buy a new phone, then they win again. They got you to spend more money. Take my advice, take a smalll portion of that money and do something for yourself with it. The Xperia is a wonderful phone and it's even better without AT&T splashed all over it. Da Vinci Debrand. Look it up. It's easy.

Good luck...

Message 70 of 131 (2,555 Views)
Scholar

prmirage01 wrote:

Once upon a time a man bought what he thought was a great phone. And it was except for one thing. Even thought he was told that it's firmware would have an update released by the end of 2010, it never happened. He waited patiently. Afterall, how easy can it be to develop an update for a cell phone right?

December 2010 no update. And he waited...

January 2011 no update. And he waited...

February 2011 no update. But wait...

After reading many, many complaints online he discovered that the manufacturer had in fact released an update for the phone and that people in other countries were receiving it already. He also learned that the U.S. version was release but according to the mfg, AT&T needed to "approve" and make their own changes. "Don't panic..." the man told himself. Even though he had been through this nightmare before with the Blackjack II and the release of it's Windows update. The mfg blames the carrier, the carrier blames the mfg, and so on.

This time, the proof was there. Sony had released the update and it was available for all to see. So why would AT&T be so bold, if not stupid, enough to blame the mfg if they had the update posted and being updated everywhere but here? Simple. Because AT&T doesn't care. They don't care about the end user. They care if they don't get paid but not if their customer is unhappy.

So what was this man to do. He had a phone he liked but also wanted the update that would never come. Then he found Da Vinci. They helped him and now he is happy. Now he has a phone he loves with an updated firmware and he doesn't have to see AT&T's ugly logos on it in any area of the phone. He can install ANY app he wants - never to be blocked by the giants head and all for a mere $15. Life is good.

There it is folks. A little story. Complain all you want in this forum. You will never get what you are asking for through this orange and white monster. If you go out and buy a new phone, then they win again. They got you to spend more money. Take my advice, take a smalll portion of that money and do something for yourself with it. The Xperia is a wonderful phone and it's even better without AT&T splashed all over it. Da Vinci Debrand. Look it up. It's easy.

Good luck...

And if you had actually read the posts here you would already know that you don't have to PAY to get debranded. I debranded mine for free. Easy as pie.

Message 71 of 131 (3,310 Views)
Contributor

Did debranding give you the hd video record capability?  That was a selling point after all.

Message 72 of 131 (2,345 Views)
Scholar

The 2.1 version you debrand to has the hd video recording. Plus the current version also enables dual touch in all supported apps.
Message 73 of 131 (2,330 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Google "flashtool n00bies".  The xda forum has easy to follow instructions.  Doing this is easier than setting up email on your phone (your results may vary).  It took more time to download the new FW, than to flash my phone with the 2.1 install (I used the FW that ends in 504; the one that ends in 435 is the latest version).  Back up your APN's (free too in Android market) and contacts.  You then have to set up phone with email, contacts etc, but it's much faster.  In addition, I've had mine wifi connected for 2 days and still have 40% battery life.

Message 74 of 131 (2,228 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Yes, you get HD video when you upgrade.  Also, live wallpapers and pinch-zoom capabilities.  Well, pinch-zoom (at least in my case) came at a later update directly from SE.

Message 75 of 131 (2,216 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support