will captivate support creating personal hotspot

Contributor

will captivate support creating personal hotspot

I havn't found any mention of it in the literature nor was it clear when I made a run at buy one on att.com if the captivate would support creating a personal (portable) hotspot like the iphone 4 or HTC EVO do or any Android 2.2 phone could support.

Message 1 of 13 (11,656 Views)
Contributor

Re: will captivate support creating personal hotspot

I called a ATT support phone person who didn't understand the difference between wifi and wifi tethering.

I talked to one of the online chat types who couldn't do more then point me at what I could find online and didn't seem to understand the difference between a phone and its software (like, does ATT really know what a smartphone is?).  I copied the log for this and am thinking about posting it.  It is downright funny in a stupid sort of way.

I talked to samsung Android phone support person who didn't know that 2.2 existed nor was willing to say boo about what they would do with its feature set.

I'm guessing ATT could care less if the Captivate succeeds or not.  They sell and iPhone.  They sell a Captivate.  It is all the same.

I'm stunned that Samsung doesn't seem to care.

I'm irratated to the point of looking at non samsung phones on non ATT networks.

Message 2 of 13 (11,597 Views)
Scholar

To answer your question, no not without an app like PDAnet.  Hotspot wifi is only on Froyo 2.2

Most likely you will not find PDAnet on the market because it's "blocked" sort of speak from AT&T phones locating it.  It doesn't support wifi hotspot however, but will USB and Bluetooth.

There's two options to try to get it.

Go to airplane mode and turn the wifi on but phone off.  Go into the market and search PDAnet.  Hopefully that will allow the program to be detected and loaded from the market with SDK

if that doesn't work, then you will need to download it from http://www.junefabrics.com/android/ and side load it using SDk.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 13 (11,562 Views)
gg1
Teacher

To bump this up, just got off the phone with AT&T rep and he said that Captivate will support the new hotspot app that AT&T will launch on Feb 13. 

Message 4 of 13 (9,186 Views)
Expert

gg1 wrote:

To bump this up, just got off the phone with AT&T rep and he said that Captivate will support the new hotspot app that AT&T will launch on Feb 13. 

add to add - it is not free and has a cap of data on it - 2GB I believe, also believe it is not available with the old unlimited plan - and least these are the rumors I have seen. As far as AT&T reps stating it, would take it with a grain of salt until it is stated by an official ATT source and not a tier 1 service rep

Message 5 of 13 (9,165 Views)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

add to add - it is not free and has a cap of data on it - 2GB I believe, also believe it is not available with the old unlimited plan - and least these are the rumors I have seen. As far as AT&T reps stating it, would take it with a grain of salt until it is stated by an official ATT source and not a tier 1 service rep

AT&T Mobile HotSpot officially debuts on Feb 13 with a bump to data cap from 2GB to 4GB. I believe the new HTC Inspire 4G Android phone is the first to receive it. Followed by iPhone (with rumored iOS 4.3 release on Feb 14). Captivate is probably in the list as well. That maybe one of the reason why Captivate 2.2 ROM is delayed.

Of course, you still have to extra $$ for tethering and no you can't have unlimited data plan with it.

Message 6 of 13 (9,145 Views)
Expert

foxbat121 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

AT&T Mobile HotSpot officially debuts on Feb 13 with a bump to data cap from 2GB to 4GB. I believe the new HTC Inspire 4G Android phone is the first to receive it. Followed by iPhone (with rumored iOS 4.3 release on Feb 14). Captivate is probably in the list as well. That maybe one of the reason why Captivate 2.2 ROM is delayed.

Of course, you still have to extra $$ for tethering and no you can't have unlimited data plan with it.

so you pay the 25.00 for the 2gb plan, then add 20.00 for the hotspot so you get 2GB more for a total of 45.00 for 4gb and hotspot. If I understand you right the hotspot does not include tethering for your laptop, so you need to add an additional 20.00 for that right? total outlay 65.00 for 4GB of data.

Message 7 of 13 (9,113 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Mobile HotSpot = tethering + more. You can serve 4 or 5 PCs together unlike traditional tethering which typically is one on one. AT&T didn't specify how many connections to its wi-fi AP HotSpot app is allowed but current leaked version of Captivate JI6 2.2 ROM (does not require any tethering plan) has a limit of 5 connections. And that is inline with the similar features offered by other 3 carriers. AT&T is the last one enters into the Mobile HotSpot offering.

No, you don't have to pay additional tethering charge. Mobile HotSpot turns your phone into wi-fi AP and you don't need install any software to your PC to use it. In fact any wi-fi capable devices can use your phone's connection now.

Message 8 of 13 (9,098 Views)
Expert

foxbat121 wrote:

Mobile HotSpot = tethering + more. You can serve 4 or 5 PCs together unlike traditional tethering which typically is one on one. AT&T didn't specify how many connections to its wi-fi AP HotSpot app is allowed but current leaked version of Captivate JI6 2.2 ROM (does not require any tethering plan) has a limit of 5 connections. And that is inline with the similar features offered by other 3 carriers. AT&T is the last one enters into the Mobile HotSpot offering.

No, you don't have to pay additional tethering charge. Mobile HotSpot turns your phone into wi-fi AP and you don't need install any software to your PC to use it. In fact any wi-fi capable devices can use your phone's connection now.

so you are saying if I want to tether my laptop to the phone, a consumer is not going to be charged additional, ot via hotspot, but a direct connection.

conneting up to 5 pc to a hotspot will chew through the 4gb in probably about 60 minutes, going to be amusing to see the screams of anguish when they get the bills for data overages.

Message 9 of 13 (9,044 Views)
Master

All Mobile HotSpot offerings from other carriers have similar data cap. And no one screamed about it. The cell network is just not fast enough for you to chew through through large amount of data quickly Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13 (9,032 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

foxbat121 wrote:

All Mobile HotSpot offerings from other carriers have similar data cap. And no one screamed about it. The cell network is just not fast enough for you to chew through through large amount of data quickly Smiley Wink

given the default screaming here about caps - it will be rampart on the forums and not just ATT verizon users are already letting their complaints be known about the caps for the hotspot

Message 11 of 13 (1,920 Views)
Master

Given the health of current AT&T network, it can barely sustain one connection, let along 5. So, data cap is there to strike a balance between the need of individuals and the net of others on the network. Here I sit in my home with 4 bars of signal on my Captivate on 3G and my speed test typically show up as 500k down, 100k up and over 300ms of latency. The best you can do with this kind of connection is lite web browsing. That's all.

Message 12 of 13 (1,909 Views)
Highlighted
gg1
Teacher

wingrider01 wrote:

so you are saying if I want to tether my laptop to the phone, a consumer is not going to be charged additional, ot via hotspot, but a direct connection.

conneting up to 5 pc to a hotspot will chew through the 4gb in probably about 60 minutes, going to be amusing to see the screams of anguish when they get the bills for data overages.

It's the same cap they had in place for wireless data cards.  Few complaints on those.  If you want unlimited wireless data, the only one who offers it is Clear on their 4G network.

Message 13 of 13 (1,841 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.