Ask a question

Posted Sep 12, 2011
4:43:16 PM
View profile
why i cant use go phone in my iphone 4?

hi , i went to att office and i asked the salesman that i wanted to have service on att

and that i found very convenient to my budget the pre paid go phone plan .

i also read on the web site that it said if i have a smartphone i should get data plan separately

in order to can use internet on a smartphone, i asked to the salesman here in in my local att store

and he said that eventually i would have no problem texting and calling but that i would have to buy

an extra service if i wanted it data plan ..

i ended up paying for the GO PHONE SERVICE and even at the authorized AT&T store the salesman

activated the sim card and gave a micro sim card ready for iphone 4 because i even showed him my iphone 4 which

actually also is AT&T phone .

and when i tried to use it .. i got no service at all .

why i can't have the GO phone service on my iphone 4 and why on the web page DOES NOT state that the plan doesnt work on iphone one and only because it does in any other phone but iphone ?

why i cant use go phone in my iphone 4?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 4:46:30 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 13, 2011 at 4:52:20 AM

aleviles wrote:

1. i also read on the web site that it said if i have a smartphone i should get data plan separately in order to can use internet on a smartphone,
  2. i asked to the salesman here in in my local att store and he said that eventually i would have no problem texting and calling but that i would have to buy an extra service if i wanted it data plan .
  3. when i tried to use it .. i got no service at all .
  1. why i can't have the GO phone service on my iphone 4 and
  2. why on the web page DOES NOT state that the plan doesnt work on iphone one and only because it does in any other phone but iphone ?

Hello AlElviles,

Apparently there is an unwritten, yet unpublished, policy about iPhones as GoPhones.  AT&T frowns about them.  Even though you did exactly what is required to activate what is the most-popular smartphone on the AT&T lineup by going to a corporate store, without any artifacts.

QUESTION:   Can you state exactly what does not work on your iPhone 4?

EITHER

1. NOTHING = {talk, text, and data} OR
  2. DATA ONLY

If it is (1), the micro SIM was not activated properly, probably because activation was either blocked while provisioning (and did not complete correctly), or blocked after the fact (by a later sweep).  Did you test the iPhone by calling/texting/browsing at the corporate store after provisioning?

If it is (2) the iPhone has not been provisioned with the correct APN carrier settings because over the air (OTA) provisioning did not provision the settings at the point of sale.

Either way, you are correct and something went belly-up with your activation.  You should go back to the corporate store and get this repaired, and do not leave until you test the iPhone on all three dimensions:  talk/text/data.  Or get a refund. 

BTW, you will not get "visual voicemail" on the iPhone as prepaid only provides traditional voicemail.  I use Google Voice.  But at this stage that is the least of your worries *grin*

Good luck and keep us posted.

Re: why i cant use go phone in my iphone 4?

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (4,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 10:59:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

Since the iPhone is officially not sanctioned as a GoPhone I can't imagine they would set up the APN settings. You're right in your trouble shooting and if it is just data not working,  the user can create the settings themselves.

3 of 9 (4,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 1:01:23 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:02:24 PM

Correct Dom.

The APN Carrier Settings can be provisioned for cellular data after the micro SIM is properly activated, which apparently his was not.

As a matter of fact, the activation that enables talk/text/data on any iPhone (3G,3GS,4) is quite simple, and does not invalidate the iPhone warranty or violate any official GoPhone Terms and Conditions, but I will refrain on saying more.

Let the corporate store handle it, as he already has engaged them once, and I do not want to get into trouble *grin*

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (4,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 11:13:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

you can! go to att and tell them u need a new micro sim for your iPhone becase yours is being buggy or it broke. dont let them activate it there. go home call att prepaid, give them the sim card number and BAM pre-paid iphone, i know this because thats what i did

5 of 9 (4,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 11:14:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

i can help u activate the data for the iphone once u get it, its super easy 

6 of 9 (4,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 1:12:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the exact same problem, I put $5 into the deta plan to test it out but it doesn't seem to work.

7 of 9 (3,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 8:09:19 AM
(0)
Scholar

xtc428 wrote:

I am having the exact same problem, I put $5 into the deta plan to test it out but it doesn't seem to work.

You need to change APN settings on your iPhone. That said, if you're not on the $25 or $50/month plan, it seems you won't be able to buy data feature packages anymore come April 18. If you're on the Pay As You Go $0.10/min or $2/day plans, you'll only have a very short window for using data on the iPhone so I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle of setting it up.

8 of 9 (2,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 4:45:42 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm pretty skeptical about this April 18 change. I have not received any text message about a change, and there is nothing on the AT&T web site about it. As far as I can tell, a handful of people received a message, but outside of this forum I haven't really seen any news of this change. I would think there would be quite an uproar if thousands of people were being told of such a big change.

We will see tomorrow..

9 of 9 (2,913 Views)