Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 12, 2011
9:15:46 AM
View profile
why can you not get unlimited data on smart phones

So I have seen at&t new add about only 10 bucks a month for unlimited data.

I called them up and they told that is only for non smart phones.

Why can we not do something for a family that uses smart phones?

Come that is all I'm asking unlimited data plan for everyone even smart phones.

I wouldn't care if it cost like 80 bucks a month.

Paul

So I have seen at&t new add about only 10 bucks a month for unlimited data.

I called them up and they told that is only for non smart phones.

Why can we not do something for a family that uses smart phones?

Come that is all I'm asking unlimited data plan for everyone even smart phones.

I wouldn't care if it cost like 80 bucks a month.

Paul

why can you not get unlimited data on smart phones

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 9:25:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

sorry I forgot to say, "80 bucks a month for a whole family not per line."

Paul

sorry I forgot to say, "80 bucks a month for a whole family not per line."

Paul

Re: why can you not get unlimited data on smart phones

2 of 5 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 1:11:13 PM
(0)
Master

There is no family data plan, period.  Even the family data unlimited plan for non-smartphones is a misnomer.  It's a $5 discount on the normal $15 data plan for non-smartphones, and it's still a per-line charge.  If you have 5 phones, that 5x$10, or $50, per month.

There is no corresponding discount for smartphones, and there is no longer a smartphone unlimited data plan.  I wouldn't count on it coming back, and if it does it sure as heck won't be $80 for coverage on all lines on a family plan.

There is no family data plan, period.  Even the family data unlimited plan for non-smartphones is a misnomer.  It's a $5 discount on the normal $15 data plan for non-smartphones, and it's still a per-line charge.  If you have 5 phones, that 5x$10, or $50, per month.

There is no corresponding discount for smartphones, and there is no longer a smartphone unlimited data plan.  I wouldn't count on it coming back, and if it does it sure as heck won't be $80 for coverage on all lines on a family plan.

3 of 5 (2,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 1:17:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

I wouldn't expect you to see an unlimited data plan offered again anytime soon from AT&T. It actually costs AT&T more to provide you the data bandwidth you're using than they are charging. Bring in unlimited and people start tethering (sanctioned or not) and their data costs skyrocket. Now you have H+ and 4G on the way and you're not likely to see unlimited data return for smartphones, at least not anytime soon. I would expect most carriers will follow suit soon.

I wouldn't expect you to see an unlimited data plan offered again anytime soon from AT&T. It actually costs AT&T more to provide you the data bandwidth you're using than they are charging. Bring in unlimited and people start tethering (sanctioned or not) and their data costs skyrocket. Now you have H+ and 4G on the way and you're not likely to see unlimited data return for smartphones, at least not anytime soon. I would expect most carriers will follow suit soon.

4 of 5 (2,501 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 7:57:11 AM
(0)
Professor

I still have the unlimited data plan on my phone and a second line has the 2G dta plan.  Glad to say, the second line does a lot of surfing, viewing clips, etc and havent gone over that limit.

I still have the unlimited data plan on my phone and a second line has the 2G dta plan.  Glad to say, the second line does a lot of surfing, viewing clips, etc and havent gone over that limit.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

5 of 5 (2,336 Views)