Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 20, 2010
10:23:46 AM
View profile
where to buy a ATT prepaid SIM card?

I just came in from Hong Kong.

I bought my Nokia 4 band 2730 with me. It works on GSM and CDMA networks.

Where can I purchase a pre-paid as you go SIM card and use my phone here in California?

Thank you.

I just came in from Hong Kong.

I bought my Nokia 4 band 2730 with me. It works on GSM and CDMA networks.

Where can I purchase a pre-paid as you go SIM card and use my phone here in California?

Thank you.

where to buy a ATT prepaid SIM card?

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2010 1:13:43 PM
(0)
Guru

Hi welcome in any att store  in wich area of california are you?  You can use the Find a Store link upsite this page and enter your zip code and search the nearest store to get one,.

Good Luck

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Hi welcome in any att store  in wich area of california are you?  You can use the Find a Store link upsite this page and enter your zip code and search the nearest store to get one,.

Good Luck

Re: where to buy a ATT prepaid SIM card?

2 of 14 (79,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2010 5:23:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you visit a corporate at&t store and you'll fund the prepaid account when you open it, it's likely that they will not charge you for the SIM. Smiley Happy  (Otherwise it may be $25 in a corporate at&t store.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

If you visit a corporate at&t store and you'll fund the prepaid account when you open it, it's likely that they will not charge you for the SIM. Smiley Happy  (Otherwise it may be $25 in a corporate at&t store.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 14 (79,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2010 9:50:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you. I found they were selling this AT&T SIM cards in Amazon.com for $10

But I have to pay $15 per 30 days or $100 per year to keep the account active.

Can you please tell me how many more additional days they allow before closing my account? I can still keep this account by $20 re-top-up again?

This is what I am comparing with Boost Mobile  :
# Recharge at least once every 90 days to keep your service active for at least $20 —after 90 days without recharging, any remaining balance will expire.
# Once you hit a zero account balance or have 90 days without recharging, you still have 60 days to recharge and keep your account active. After those 60 days, your account will be closed, and you will lose your phone and walkie-talkie number.

However, Boost Mobile is CDMA and do not use SIM card, right? Thank you.

Thank you. I found they were selling this AT&T SIM cards in Amazon.com for $10

But I have to pay $15 per 30 days or $100 per year to keep the account active.

Can you please tell me how many more additional days they allow before closing my account? I can still keep this account by $20 re-top-up again?

This is what I am comparing with Boost Mobile  :
# Recharge at least once every 90 days to keep your service active for at least $20 —after 90 days without recharging, any remaining balance will expire.
# Once you hit a zero account balance or have 90 days without recharging, you still have 60 days to recharge and keep your account active. After those 60 days, your account will be closed, and you will lose your phone and walkie-talkie number.

However, Boost Mobile is CDMA and do not use SIM card, right? Thank you.

4 of 14 (79,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2010 10:33:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Boost is CDMA and does not use SIM cards.

At&t prepaid works similarly - there are several available refill amounts and expiration periods ranging from $15 with a 30 day expiration to $100 with a one year expiration.  60 days after your last refill expiration date, your account is closed and the phone number is recycled into the pool of available numbers - just like with Boost.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Boost is CDMA and does not use SIM cards.

At&t prepaid works similarly - there are several available refill amounts and expiration periods ranging from $15 with a 30 day expiration to $100 with a one year expiration.  60 days after your last refill expiration date, your account is closed and the phone number is recycled into the pool of available numbers - just like with Boost.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (79,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2010 7:39:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

I found Virgin Mobile at $20 per 90 days, that is $80 per year. This is the lowest price I seen for prepaid cells here in California.

We ONLY use these mobile phones for incoming calls while we are on our work routes. We never use thsee mobile phone to make outgoing calls.

However, Virgin Mobile is CDMA but do NOT use SIM cards, correct?

I found Virgin Mobile at $20 per 90 days, that is $80 per year. This is the lowest price I seen for prepaid cells here in California.

We ONLY use these mobile phones for incoming calls while we are on our work routes. We never use thsee mobile phone to make outgoing calls.

However, Virgin Mobile is CDMA but do NOT use SIM cards, correct?

Virgin Mobile does not use SIM phone? Correct?

6 of 14 (79,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2010 10:31:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:32:55 AM

Yes, I believe Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network so it would be CDMA (although I'm not all that familiar with all the other prepaid service providers).

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Yes, I believe Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network so it would be CDMA (although I'm not all that familiar with all the other prepaid service providers).

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Re: Virgin Mobile does not use SIM phone? Correct?

[ Edited ]
7 of 14 (79,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 6:03:34 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am comparing pre-paid SIM for unlock GSM phones, very low outcall service for N California.

I found multi-year long term cost lowest is T-Mobile. AT&T is higher in cost.

Anyone has similar requirements and experiences? Where can I find more info?

I am comparing pre-paid SIM for unlock GSM phones, very low outcall service for N California.

How T-Mobile prepaid compare with AT&T?

8 of 14 (79,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 4:12:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

lkw8888 wrote:

A non-affiliated forum like WirelessAdvisor or HowardForums will probably be able to provide a nice round-up of prepaid offerings. That being said, here's a brief summary:

1. In N. California there's basically T-Mobile & AT&T — any other GSM provider offering service here will use one or the other network.
  2. Look at the coverage maps for both and find out whether the coverage is acceptable where you need it most.
  3. T-Mobile is cheaper overall ($100 for the first year plus $10/year to maintain it), but price per call goes up if you use lower priced refill options.
  4. T-Mobile doesn't offer any data service nor (to the best of my knowledge) messaging packages on their prepaid.

lkw8888 wrote:

A non-affiliated forum like WirelessAdvisor or HowardForums will probably be able to provide a nice round-up of prepaid offerings. That being said, here's a brief summary:

1. In N. California there's basically T-Mobile & AT&T — any other GSM provider offering service here will use one or the other network.
  2. Look at the coverage maps for both and find out whether the coverage is acceptable where you need it most.
  3. T-Mobile is cheaper overall ($100 for the first year plus $10/year to maintain it), but price per call goes up if you use lower priced refill options.
  4. T-Mobile doesn't offer any data service nor (to the best of my knowledge) messaging packages on their prepaid.

Re: How T-Mobile prepaid compare with AT&T?

9 of 14 (79,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 8:47:00 AM
(0)
Teacher

thank you dmapr.

I found O2 which also uses GSM + SIM. I assume it uses either network? $20 refill per 90 days = $80 per year.

I also found Verizon, but its CDMA without SIM. Their prepaid is only $10 to activate and $10 for every 90 days, that is $40 per year. However, I am unable to wrap my arm around CDMA+No SIM phones. Since I travel overseas at least twice per year. GSM phone with SIM are great for every country to get cheap SIM+some minute, than on to next country.

Thank you.

thank you dmapr.

I found O2 which also uses GSM + SIM. I assume it uses either network? $20 refill per 90 days = $80 per year.

I also found Verizon, but its CDMA without SIM. Their prepaid is only $10 to activate and $10 for every 90 days, that is $40 per year. However, I am unable to wrap my arm around CDMA+No SIM phones. Since I travel overseas at least twice per year. GSM phone with SIM are great for every country to get cheap SIM+some minute, than on to next country.

Thank you.

10 of 14 (79,734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 12:51:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

lkw8888 wrote:

thank you dmapr.

Thank you.

O2? I never heard of O2 in the United States...

As far as CDMA — yes, CDMA-only phones do not use SIM cards, the phone's own serial number is what the account info is tied to. You're not going to get an argument out of me about convenience of having a device where all you do is swap a SIM in & out — so the desire to have that pretty much limits you to AT&T and T-Mobile networks in the USA as far as nation-wide operators are concerned...

lkw8888 wrote:

thank you dmapr.

Thank you.

As far as CDMA — yes, CDMA-only phones do not use SIM cards, the phone's own serial number is what the account info is tied to. You're not going to get an argument out of me about convenience of having a device where all you do is swap a SIM in & out — so the desire to have that pretty much limits you to AT&T and T-Mobile networks in the USA as far as nation-wide operators are concerned...

11 of 14 (66,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 4:38:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dmapr wrote:

lkw8888 wrote:

thank you dmapr.

Thank you.

I was confused by it the first time someone mentioned O2, but there is an O2 in the US now.  And I've seen them in the Best Buy stores here. Smiley Happy

O2 Wireless

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

dmapr wrote:

lkw8888 wrote:

thank you dmapr.

Thank you.

I was confused by it the first time someone mentioned O2, but there is an O2 in the US now.  And I've seen them in the Best Buy stores here. Smiley Happy

O2 Wireless

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

12 of 14 (66,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 1:13:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

hme83 wrote:

O2 Wireless

Thanks for the link Smiley Happy BTW, I have to say that for international calling they seem to be the best — free (at least long-distance wise) calls to a rather large number of countries!

hme83 wrote:

O2 Wireless

Thanks for the link Smiley Happy BTW, I have to say that for international calling they seem to be the best — free (at least long-distance wise) calls to a rather large number of countries!

13 of 14 (66,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 4:20:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dmapr wrote:

hme83 wrote:

O2 Wireless

You're welcome. The international long distance struck me about it too. Smiley Happy  I didn't spot an actual coverage map, just a listing of "market areas" in each state, so I wondered about coverage outside of the designated "market areas".

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

dmapr wrote:

hme83 wrote:

O2 Wireless

You're welcome. The international long distance struck me about it too. Smiley Happy  I didn't spot an actual coverage map, just a listing of "market areas" in each state, so I wondered about coverage outside of the designated "market areas".

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

14 of 14 (66,253 Views)