Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 16, 2011
11:04:35 AM
where is the Dell Streak update
Edited by Glomag on Jan 17, 2011 at 5:39:08 AM

Both carrier and manufacturers are playing this update game now i hear Samsung is deliberately holding back or asking TMobile not to update the Captivate b/c the new captivate is coming out and they are afraid it will hurt sales eventhough the old Captivate will have the same specs and capabillties as the new phone so the game is now instead of updating old phones everytime a new Android OS comes out lets just sell them a new phone if they want the new OS lets hope Google steps in and don't leave it up to dumb companys like AT&T or greedy companys like Samsung I bought the Dell Streak on the promise of the 1.6 will be updated to 2.1 that was in August 2010 then they decided they were going to skip 2.1 and go to 2.2 instead it's now Jan. 16 2011 still no update fist it was Dell sitting on their hands now it's AT&T With their many delays i now heard that the update is stuck in AT&T never ending testing  {word filter evasion} are they testing since the 2.2 update nas been working fine on all none lock AT&T versions of the streak meanwhile we are stuck with a barely userble devise it's time for Google step in and pull or threaten to pull the OS from the greedy pigs who put profit before costumer satisfaction or people like me will have no choice but to go back to apple god forbid and another thing why is Dell still lyeing to us saying the AT&T lock update is out and we should get it b/w now and next week

Both carrier and manufacturers are playing this update game now i hear Samsung is deliberately holding back or asking TMobile not to update the Captivate b/c the new captivate is coming out and they are afraid it will hurt sales eventhough the old Captivate will have the same specs and capabillties as the new phone so the game is now instead of updating old phones everytime a new Android OS comes out lets just sell them a new phone if they want the new OS lets hope Google steps in and don't leave it up to dumb companys like AT&T or greedy companys like Samsung I bought the Dell Streak on the promise of the 1.6 will be updated to 2.1 that was in August 2010 then they decided they were going to skip 2.1 and go to 2.2 instead it's now Jan. 16 2011 still no update fist it was Dell sitting on their hands now it's AT&T With their many delays i now heard that the update is stuck in AT&T never ending testing  {word filter evasion} are they testing since the 2.2 update nas been working fine on all none lock AT&T versions of the streak meanwhile we are stuck with a barely userble devise it's time for Google step in and pull or threaten to pull the OS from the greedy pigs who put profit before costumer satisfaction or people like me will have no choice but to go back to apple god forbid and another thing why is Dell still lyeing to us saying the AT&T lock update is out and we should get it b/w now and next week

where is the Dell Streak update

[ Edited ]
111 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(111)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 11:52:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

kEEP reposting this until all of the AT&T android customer leave

First they lose IPHONE, now they shall loose android users.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2011/01/data-shows-what-manufacturers-and-carriers-delay-android-...#

kEEP reposting this until all of the AT&T android customer leave

First they lose IPHONE, now they shall loose android users.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2011/01/data-shows-what-manufacturers-and-carriers-delay-android-updates.php#

READ ME and RE-Post

61 of 112 (1,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 12:35:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
What the heck? What does this have to do with anything? How will/shall AT&T "lose Android users"? Because their smartphone's operating systems are not being upgraded in a timely matter? Please...

This thread isn't going to do much, either. There's no way AT&T is "going to lose all of its Android users". Ain't no way, no how. There's quite a few Android devices offered on AT&T, and there's absolutely no way people are just going to go "poof" with them all because of a silly update that's been delayed.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

What the heck? What does this have to do with anything? How will/shall AT&T "lose Android users"? Because their smartphone's operating systems are not being upgraded in a timely matter? Please...

This thread isn't going to do much, either. There's no way AT&T is "going to lose all of its Android users". Ain't no way, no how. There's quite a few Android devices offered on AT&T, and there's absolutely no way people are just going to go "poof" with them all because of a silly update that's been delayed.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: where is the Dell Streak update

62 of 112 (1,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 1:46:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

I don't expect this thread to do anything, especially since ATT's only role here has been to moderate posts, but not read/consider what is actually said.

In reality, the only reason we post here IS because ATT doesn't listen, nor seem to care. I had a high level manager look into the update mess, and even couldn't find anything internally in terms of a policy, update progress, or even info. Internally, ATT is 'dead/empty' when it comes to android updates. This only tells me they probably aren't even testing it, just using that as an excuse that would be impossible to verify.

There are a mass of people that don't care about updates, and will fall for the latest flash, or even believe the fallacies ATT advertises with. Android wont go away on ATT, it will remail a very weak marketing point, so that they can advertise "we have the most diverse linup", or "we have the latest android phones", but never "we care about our customers and offer the latest updates so that they aren't over paying for hardware/software that's at least a year behind".......

I'm sure in this era, PT Barnum would have been a wireless exec..... 

I don't expect this thread to do anything, especially since ATT's only role here has been to moderate posts, but not read/consider what is actually said.

In reality, the only reason we post here IS because ATT doesn't listen, nor seem to care. I had a high level manager look into the update mess, and even couldn't find anything internally in terms of a policy, update progress, or even info. Internally, ATT is 'dead/empty' when it comes to android updates. This only tells me they probably aren't even testing it, just using that as an excuse that would be impossible to verify.

There are a mass of people that don't care about updates, and will fall for the latest flash, or even believe the fallacies ATT advertises with. Android wont go away on ATT, it will remail a very weak marketing point, so that they can advertise "we have the most diverse linup", or "we have the latest android phones", but never "we care about our customers and offer the latest updates so that they aren't over paying for hardware/software that's at least a year behind".......

I'm sure in this era, PT Barnum would have been a wireless exec..... 

63 of 112 (1,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 1:47:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

This thread isn't going to do much, either. T

The only thing this thread HAS done is bring out the regular ATT apologists who answer with the typical "love it or leave it" answer......

This thread isn't going to do much, either. T

The only thing this thread HAS done is bring out the regular ATT apologists who answer with the typical "love it or leave it" answer......

64 of 112 (1,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 3:42:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
Has anyone ever heard of a product called a rebel SIMM card? Apparently, this goes in your phone in place of the locked AT&T SIMM allowing you to update to 2.2 yourself. I'm interested in exploring anything to get around this BIG BROTHER machine.
Has anyone ever heard of a product called a rebel SIMM card? Apparently, this goes in your phone in place of the locked AT&T SIMM allowing you to update to 2.2 yourself. I'm interested in exploring anything to get around this BIG BROTHER machine.

65 of 112 (1,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 1:00:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just went on the dell web site. Their selling the Streak with a 2.2 update. So it still Dell fault?

I just went on the dell web site. Their selling the Streak with a 2.2 update. So it still Dell fault?

66 of 112 (851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 4:47:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm pretty sure it was stated in the thread, but it's clearly ATT holding this up.....
1. Unlocked Streak's have had the update for months now (released early November?), and there are no technical issues reported with it's use. 

2. Dell states the update was 'passed along' to ATT, at least when they released it, if not much earlier.

3. ATT's own history of NOT updating their android phones says anything else you need to know.

Anything else I'm missing? 

I'm pretty sure it was stated in the thread, but it's clearly ATT holding this up.....
1. Unlocked Streak's have had the update for months now (released early November?), and there are no technical issues reported with it's use. 

2. Dell states the update was 'passed along' to ATT, at least when they released it, if not much earlier.

3. ATT's own history of NOT updating their android phones says anything else you need to know.

Anything else I'm missing? 

67 of 112 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 8:47:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Why hold back the update? I don't the reason for it. I just brought it. I'm stuck with a phone for 2 years that is being Held back? I just don't see what ATT can gain from that.

Why hold back the update? I don't the reason for it. I just brought it. I'm stuck with a phone for 2 years that is being Held back? I just don't see what ATT can gain from that.

68 of 112 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 9:56:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

evilkymonkey wrote:

Agreed, it's a win/win from our perspectives. Greater customer satisfaction, greater use of our calling and data plans, and renewing our contracts when the time comes.

It could be a number of reasons, from conspiracy theories about the contract stipulations with Apple, to not wanting to give androids a foot up on the iphone. More than likely it's not wanting to spend the extra money and time in 'testing' and implementation, and 'hoping/assuming' a customer will become tired of their old device and do an early upgrade.

Either way, it really succs.....

evilkymonkey wrote:

Agreed, it's a win/win from our perspectives. Greater customer satisfaction, greater use of our calling and data plans, and renewing our contracts when the time comes.

It could be a number of reasons, from conspiracy theories about the contract stipulations with Apple, to not wanting to give androids a foot up on the iphone. More than likely it's not wanting to spend the extra money and time in 'testing' and implementation, and 'hoping/assuming' a customer will become tired of their old device and do an early upgrade.

Either way, it really succs.....

69 of 112 (744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 10:41:25 PM
(0)
Scholar
An Android user on ATT thats disgruntled because of an update thats heldup/nonexistant,is the exception,not the rule. 1 in 1000. Hows that gonna affect anything?
But itis understandably a big issue for some. I know what u mean about the "ATT apoligists". They never really help the matter in any way. U know who u are.
An Android user on ATT thats disgruntled because of an update thats heldup/nonexistant,is the exception,not the rule. 1 in 1000. Hows that gonna affect anything?
But itis understandably a big issue for some. I know what u mean about the "ATT apoligists". They never really help the matter in any way. U know who u are.

70 of 112 (736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 11:36:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

I wish therewas a way to do it my self. Stuck with a 1.6 phone for two years. Not good. I feel like i've robbed.

I wish therewas a way to do it my self. Stuck with a 1.6 phone for two years. Not good. I feel like i've robbed.

71 of 112 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 10:59:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

There is a way, but it's not too easy (and not overly difficult), you would just need to be extremely careful.

Just look into the forum page for more info...and keep in mind that it voids your warranty. I haven't been able to do this, as my computer wont load the proper drivers.....so I'm stuck.
http://www.streaksmart.com/

There is a way, but it's not too easy (and not overly difficult), you would just need to be extremely careful.

Just look into the forum page for more info...and keep in mind that it voids your warranty. I haven't been able to do this, as my computer wont load the proper drivers.....so I'm stuck.
http://www.streaksmart.com/

72 of 112 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2011 10:01:53 AM
(0)
Teacher
Yep,i have not been able to load the drivers yet either, but that still doesn't give at&t the right to just not say anything. Its bad enough that none of their cs staff know anything about it. But they could tell us something official.
Yep,i have not been able to load the drivers yet either, but that still doesn't give at&t the right to just not say anything. Its bad enough that none of their cs staff know anything about it. But they could tell us something official.

Re: where is the Dell Streak update,

73 of 112 (630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2011 8:02:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

Here, try these tutorials. I updated my Streak to 2.2 last night, just take your time and watch the video and do EXACTLY as it says, everything should go smoothly. It did for me.  I was ready to return mine till I did the update.

http://streakdroid.com/?page_id=92

Here, try these tutorials. I updated my Streak to 2.2 last night, just take your time and watch the video and do EXACTLY as it says, everything should go smoothly. It did for me.  I was ready to return mine till I did the update.

http://streakdroid.com/?page_id=92

74 of 112 (577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 12:20:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

My computer has a bad habit of blue screens and shutting down without warning (NEVER buy Velocity Micro, all I got was a $5,000 headache).

Anyways......seeing as how Best Buy now sells the Streak for $49, and that it's also on Amazon, I suspect there will be more Streak owners calling for the update......at least one can hope.

My computer has a bad habit of blue screens and shutting down without warning (NEVER buy Velocity Micro, all I got was a $5,000 headache).

Anyways......seeing as how Best Buy now sells the Streak for $49, and that it's also on Amazon, I suspect there will be more Streak owners calling for the update......at least one can hope.

75 of 112 (527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 1:02:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hey my phone just freak out. I called Dell. They solved the problem. Now when I told her I'll returning the phone Because ATT didn't update phone. She told ATT doesn't update phone Dell does. WHAT? She said they Handel service they deal with phone. If I cancel the deal with ATT, Dell gets phone not ATT.  What the heck? Since when. Is she telling the truth?

Hey my phone just freak out. I called Dell. They solved the problem. Now when I told her I'll returning the phone Because ATT didn't update phone. She told ATT doesn't update phone Dell does. WHAT? She said they Handel service they deal with phone. If I cancel the deal with ATT, Dell gets phone not ATT.  What the heck? Since when. Is she telling the truth?

76 of 112 (516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 3:34:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

ATT has a limited hand in this. It's primary role is providing the wireless service. They also are said to be providing the update after "testing". You're right in that Dell would receive the handset back after a return, as ATT doesn't sell them, not even know of them in any real manner. It's a business relationship that only hurts the customer.....

Sounds like the Dell rep didn't know what they were talking about, something that isn't uncommon (for any company really). You can try calling back and getting clarification from a manager, but am pretty sure the end result will be the standard line we've noted here.

ATT has a limited hand in this. It's primary role is providing the wireless service. They also are said to be providing the update after "testing". You're right in that Dell would receive the handset back after a return, as ATT doesn't sell them, not even know of them in any real manner. It's a business relationship that only hurts the customer.....

Sounds like the Dell rep didn't know what they were talking about, something that isn't uncommon (for any company really). You can try calling back and getting clarification from a manager, but am pretty sure the end result will be the standard line we've noted here.

77 of 112 (497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2011 5:32:55 PM
(0)
Employee

the dell streak is a bit different, Dell handles all troubleshooting for this device, you're average AT&T CS probably doesn't even know of this phone because Dell handles anything to do with the functionailty. 

the dell streak is a bit different, Dell handles all troubleshooting for this device, you're average AT&T CS probably doesn't even know of this phone because Dell handles anything to do with the functionailty. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

78 of 112 (427 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 6:35:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thats BEEP, AT&T is the one holding up the update. The update has been out since Dec. How do you explane the unlocked phone with 2.2?

Thats BEEP, AT&T is the one holding up the update. The update has been out since Dec. How do you explane the unlocked phone with 2.2?

79 of 112 (349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 2:08:06 PM
(0)
Employee

i didn't say anything about the update, just troubleshooting in general regarding a previous post.

and it looks like at&t isn't releasing the update, might as well get it over it at this point or do it yourself.

i didn't say anything about the update, just troubleshooting in general regarding a previous post.

and it looks like at&t isn't releasing the update, might as well get it over it at this point or do it yourself.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

80 of 112 (325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 3:07:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

JFizDaWiz wrote:

looks like at&t isn't releasing the update, might as well get it over it at this point or do it yourself.

While it may be true, I'll be far from the first person to simply shrug my shoulders and leave it as is. Isn't that what ATT wants? For it all to go away? 

JFizDaWiz wrote:

looks like at&t isn't releasing the update, might as well get it over it at this point or do it yourself.

While it may be true, I'll be far from the first person to simply shrug my shoulders and leave it as is. Isn't that what ATT wants? For it all to go away? 

81 of 112 (451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 3:14:08 PM
(0)
Employee

there is nothing forcing AT&T to release it, so if they don't want to they don't have to. if you want it so bad get it yourself. I wanted Gingerbread so I got it. 

there is nothing forcing AT&T to release it, so if they don't want to they don't have to. if you want it so bad get it yourself. I wanted Gingerbread so I got it. 

82 of 112 (448 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 3:16:39 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by diagoro on Feb 20, 2011 at 3:17:57 PM

JFizDaWiz wrote:

there is nothing forcing AT&T to release it, so if they don't want to they don't have to. 

So promises of the device being updated to 2.2 on sale isn't a valid promise? I don't buy that ATT has the choice to update or not, especially when there are technical issues at play......But than, you're an ATT employee. While you may not speak for them........

JFizDaWiz wrote:

there is nothing forcing AT&T to release it, so if they don't want to they don't have to. 

So promises of the device being updated to 2.2 on sale isn't a valid promise? I don't buy that ATT has the choice to update or not, especially when there are technical issues at play......But than, you're an ATT employee. While you may not speak for them........

[ Edited ]
83 of 112 (446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 3:28:20 PM
(0)
Employee

to be honest sales reps have as much information as you do it seems. I've heard many promises from sales reps from AT&T, Sprint and Verizon and none of them have happened yet.

I was told by the end of 2010 I'd have Sprint 4G in my area. I don't and no where near of it happening anytime soon. I didn't switch because of this "promise" and the Evo was promised to have 2.2, that part did come true but I didn't wait for it to happen, I had 2.2 before it was rolled out because I didn't want to wait or have it come down to it really wasn't going to come out.

to be honest sales reps have as much information as you do it seems. I've heard many promises from sales reps from AT&T, Sprint and Verizon and none of them have happened yet.

I was told by the end of 2010 I'd have Sprint 4G in my area. I don't and no where near of it happening anytime soon. I didn't switch because of this "promise" and the Evo was promised to have 2.2, that part did come true but I didn't wait for it to happen, I had 2.2 before it was rolled out because I didn't want to wait or have it come down to it really wasn't going to come out.

84 of 112 (438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2011 5:06:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ok my bill came in. 147 dollars due on March 3. They don't know when I going to get a 2.2 update but my bill is due march 3. W#@! My update is being withheld. But my bill is on time. Thanks ATT and DELL. Worst Birthday present yet.

Ok my bill came in. 147 dollars due on March 3. They don't know when I going to get a 2.2 update but my bill is due march 3. W#@! My update is being withheld. But my bill is on time. Thanks ATT and DELL. Worst Birthday present yet.

85 of 112 (363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 11:59:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Caretaker on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:41:02 AM

@goldentuna

first of all youre talking out of the left side of your mouth

the iphone is the worst piece of closed source technology to have ever been developed

secondly at&t will not lose their smart customers because att owns all of their numbers and their lines and theyre pretty much the only cell company thats not in debt also their speeds are the fastest and the verizon maps are all make believe { Please keep it courteous }

@goldentuna

first of all youre talking out of the left side of your mouth

the iphone is the worst piece of closed source technology to have ever been developed

secondly at&t will not lose their smart customers because att owns all of their numbers and their lines and theyre pretty much the only cell company thats not in debt also their speeds are the fastest and the verizon maps are all make believe { Please keep it courteous }

[ Edited ]
86 of 112 (260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 12:09:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Caretaker on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:41:58 AM

{ Please keep it courteous } its from covering the light sensor when you hold it sideways you should really stop talking

{ Please keep it courteous } its from covering the light sensor when you hold it sideways you should really stop talking

[ Edited ]
87 of 112 (260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 12:20:03 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Caretaker on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:43:25 AM

the reason as to why att isnt dedicating its resources to android is not because of the iphone they know as well as we do that the iphone is  just for ppl who want a completely dulled down user friendly device that a two year old can work and the reason that apple ever gave it to verizon is because it was failing in att next to the new androids. so steve jobs being the { word filter evasion }  he is needed more money and whom better to expand his market to than the consumers who have been whining the most

verizon users

att is not dedicating its resources to the updates because its busy upgrading to 4g

and i have no idea why verizon upgraded theyre already in debt att at least is not

so all in all the consumer is used as a pawn and the real battle isnt between us and att 

its between att and verizon in their epic quest to prove dominance over each other

the reason as to why att isnt dedicating its resources to android is not because of the iphone they know as well as we do that the iphone is  just for ppl who want a completely dulled down user friendly device that a two year old can work and the reason that apple ever gave it to verizon is because it was failing in att next to the new androids. so steve jobs being the { word filter evasion }  he is needed more money and whom better to expand his market to than the consumers who have been whining the most

verizon users

att is not dedicating its resources to the updates because its busy upgrading to 4g

and i have no idea why verizon upgraded theyre already in debt att at least is not

so all in all the consumer is used as a pawn and the real battle isnt between us and att 

its between att and verizon in their epic quest to prove dominance over each other

[ Edited ]
88 of 112 (255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 12:34:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

i completely agree with this

att seems to be fully engulfed in making their money

theyre now a corrupt enterprise

i dont want to bring politics into it

but we all know who their liberal agenda is modeled after

i completely agree with this

att seems to be fully engulfed in making their money

theyre now a corrupt enterprise

i dont want to bring politics into it

but we all know who their liberal agenda is modeled after

89 of 112 (252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 12:45:54 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Caretaker on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:45:06 AM

android is in the works of an entire computer os that will surely be the death of at least windows

if att doesnt see what theyre missing out on and keep sticking to that piece of { word filter evasion }  iphone theyll be bankrupt in no time and ill laugh

{ Keep it relevant and appropriate }

android is in the works of an entire computer os that will surely be the death of at least windows

if att doesnt see what theyre missing out on and keep sticking to that piece of { word filter evasion }  iphone theyll be bankrupt in no time and ill laugh

{ Keep it relevant and appropriate }

[ Edited ]
90 of 112 (250 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments