where is the Dell Streak update

Tutor

where is the Dell Streak update

Both carrier and manufacturers are playing this update game now i hear Samsung is deliberately holding back or asking TMobile not to update the Captivate b/c the new captivate is coming out and they are afraid it will hurt sales eventhough the old Captivate will have the same specs and capabillties as the new phone so the game is now instead of updating old phones everytime a new Android OS comes out lets just sell them a new phone if they want the new OS lets hope Google steps in and don't leave it up to dumb companys like AT&T or greedy companys like Samsung I bought the Dell Streak on the promise of the 1.6 will be updated to 2.1 that was in August 2010 then they decided they were going to skip 2.1 and go to 2.2 instead it's now Jan. 16 2011 still no update fist it was Dell sitting on their hands now it's AT&T With their many delays i now heard that the update is stuck in AT&T never ending testing  {word filter evasion} are they testing since the 2.2 update nas been working fine on all none lock AT&T versions of the streak meanwhile we are stuck with a barely userble devise it's time for Google step in and pull or threaten to pull the OS from the greedy pigs who put profit before costumer satisfaction or people like me will have no choice but to go back to apple god forbid and another thing why is Dell still lyeing to us saying the AT&T lock update is out and we should get it b/w now and next week

Message 1 of 112
Scholar

Re: where is the Dell Streak update

Dont pay him no mind Tuxedolady. Hes always full of irrelevancies. Nokia...whatajoke. We're not talking about Timbuktu. Is there any dought Android is #1? Maybe not in Fiji,where all they have is Nokia. Whatev....Iphones on cdma,w/no LTE?
IRRELEVANT! He just cant grasp the concept that theres no reason u & the others should be suffering.
Message 46 of 112
Highlighted
Tutor

My question to AT&T is, Why an I not allowed to update through Dell with my home computer? The update is there already for not contract or unlocked Streaks.

Message 47 of 112
Master

You love wandering into it, don't you?  I guess you missed the stories that discussed how Canalys included derivatives like OMS & Tapas in their numbers, or how their methodology looked suspect.

As far as why the update isn't out, I can't answer that question.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/218219/android_becomes_bestselling_smartphone_os_says_canalys.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/215355/iphone_android_tie_in_smartphone_race.html?tk=rel_news

Message 48 of 112
Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

You love wandering into it, don't you?  I guess you missed the stories that discussed how Canalys included derivatives like OMS & Tapas in their numbers, or how their methodology looked suspect.

As far as why the update isn't out, I can't answer that question.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/218219/android_becomes_bestselling_smartphone_os_says_canalys.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/215355/iphone_android_tie_in_smartphone_race.html?tk=rel_news

Yes, I already know certain people will quickly try to discredit anything that comes out negative about AT&T, even when they are reported by major publications. Let's not forget how Apple has always reported their numbers "suspect".

Message 49 of 112
Professor

sweep993 wrote:

My question to AT&T is, Why an I not allowed to update through Dell with my home computer? The update is there already for not contract or unlocked Streaks.

As I already mentioned, AT&T blocks you from doing this because they want you to have their version of the rom, yet are refusing to release one.

Message 50 of 112
Scholar

And this is where it makes even less sense. The Streak I purchased is locked to ATT, yet it has no ATT blot-ware. It's a clean install. I can't imagine the only reason we're still waiting is for the implementation of ATT apps within the os, there just aren't enough Streak users to justify this.

History is where the answers are. Simple facts show that ATT doesn't care about updating android, even less than it cares about updating their phones in general (I guess the contract with apple was a win/win for them, since they didn't have to worry about that aspect).

ATT has also had the update in their hands for three months now? Are their techs really that inept that they can't get this going in half that time? More than likely there is a master policy that dictates where resources are spent........and it seems that upgrading 'customers' phones as promised/advertised is near the bottom.

Message 51 of 112
Professor

diagoro wrote:

And this is where it makes even less sense. The Streak I purchased is locked to ATT, yet it has no ATT blot-ware. It's a clean install. I can't imagine the only reason we're still waiting is for the implementation of ATT apps within the os, there just aren't enough Streak users to justify this.

History is where the answers are. Simple facts show that ATT doesn't care about updating android, even less than it cares about updating their phones in general (I guess the contract with apple was a win/win for them, since they didn't have to worry about that aspect).

ATT has also had the update in their hands for three months now? Are their techs really that inept that they can't get this going in half that time? More than likely there is a master policy that dictates where resources are spent........and it seems that upgrading 'customers' phones as promised/advertised is near the bottom.

Nobody should compare upgrading the iPhone to upgrading an Android device. With iPhone, AT&T didn't have a problem with Apple handling the upgrades because there is only one device and it is locked down like AT&T wants and all upgrades meet what AT&T wants, like when tethering was disabled. With Android, AT&T is dealing with several devices from several manufacturers. Manufacturers that are also likely to be pushing back on crippling Android. Apart from that, AT&T has no say so when it comes to what is allowed in the Android market, so they must customize the rom to where the market is filtered through it's servers. Apple doesn't have to create two updates. With Android, the manufacturer creates it's update, then there is the customized AT&T update that needs to be had. The burden of this customization seems to be where the fallout is.

Message 52 of 112
Scholar

Rumors and conspiricies are created when there is a vacume of official knowledge and truth.

I requested a high-level employee to research the the update status for me. It seems he wasn't able to find one iota of information regarding ANY android update. He was forced to rely on numerous unofficial sources outside of ATT, several of which state an update was to be released to locked phones in December (Dell's page). 

This only tells me that there is a reason above incompetence or ignorance. There must be some high-management level decision that has nearly destroyed this process, one that is not officially released to the rest of management/employees, and one that will not be aired anytime soon.

Follow the trail

(Mulder out....)

Message 53 of 112
Scholar

When u talk to CS its very important to;
Ask for their full name and employee ID#.
If u know they cant help,ask for supervisor right away.
Make sure that they add noteation to your account as to what EXACTLY was said/promised/guarateed. Then have them read the noteation back to u so u can hear exactly what they wrote.
Writeit all down youself. It really helps for future reference. HTH.
Message 54 of 112
Contributor

I noticed on the website for my account information, there is now an option to unblock my cell phone and it gives me some code to unblock the sim card. is this the same number folks are using to unlock their stream to perform the android update?

Message 55 of 112
Scholar

I was originally wondering if this was an approach to bypass ATT's support lag. 

Sadly unblocking/unlocking the phone wont make a difference. From what I've heard, we still would have to wait for ATT's release.....

Message 56 of 112
Contributor

So I called AT&T and got my unlock code... so what do I do with it now? lol

Message 57 of 112

Check out this article....Is it any wonder why we're sitting here playing tiddlywinks? Hey, AT&T, when I was in school, showing of these kinds of results was meant to get you to do better......do you just not care what the consumer thinks of you?
http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2011/01/data-shows-what-manufacturers-and-carriers-delay-android-...
Message 58 of 112
Contributor

AT&T should just come out and say they have no plans to update.  The locked users can make a decision on what they should do next instead of waiting daily for an update that may never come.

Message 59 of 112
Teacher

ATT really let us down. The Dell Streak was promised to run Flash and be updated in Android. It has been 6 mos with no such update or capability. If i werent locked in and had my family all on ATT i would NEVER use ATT again. It is very bad business ethics and practice to have blown us off the way you did. I am telling EVERYONE in NY city i know to go with Verizon when they have the chance. I am VERY unhappy and believe i am entitled to some financial compensation or should complain to the NY State Attorney General. You guys just flat out LIED to consumers as far as i can tell.

Message 60 of 112
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support