Helpful Links

where is the Dell Streak update

Tutor

where is the Dell Streak update

Both carrier and manufacturers are playing this update game now i hear Samsung is deliberately holding back or asking TMobile not to update the Captivate b/c the new captivate is coming out and they are afraid it will hurt sales eventhough the old Captivate will have the same specs and capabillties as the new phone so the game is now instead of updating old phones everytime a new Android OS comes out lets just sell them a new phone if they want the new OS lets hope Google steps in and don't leave it up to dumb companys like AT&T or greedy companys like Samsung I bought the Dell Streak on the promise of the 1.6 will be updated to 2.1 that was in August 2010 then they decided they were going to skip 2.1 and go to 2.2 instead it's now Jan. 16 2011 still no update fist it was Dell sitting on their hands now it's AT&T With their many delays i now heard that the update is stuck in AT&T never ending testing  {word filter evasion} are they testing since the 2.2 update nas been working fine on all none lock AT&T versions of the streak meanwhile we are stuck with a barely userble devise it's time for Google step in and pull or threaten to pull the OS from the greedy pigs who put profit before costumer satisfaction or people like me will have no choice but to go back to apple god forbid and another thing why is Dell still lyeing to us saying the AT&T lock update is out and we should get it b/w now and next week

Message 1 of 112
Contributor

Re: where is the Dell Streak update

I'm not being smug, but I would think that Streak buyers would be on the geeky end of the scale.  Would you not think that it would be in AT&T's best interest to give these owners a great experience?  Do they think we do not know how to Google "dj steve streak"?

Is it some brilliant marketing plan whereby denying us an upgrade we'll all buy new phones?  They're right, in so far as it will prompt me to action.  Namely, if there's no official Froyo update shortly, it'll be hello DJ Steve, and when my commitment expires, bye-bye AT&T.

But hey, we know AT&T will come through, just look at their track record!!

Such beautiful hardware, such sad neglect.

TA

Message 31 of 112
Tutor

You know this is my first time in this forum and I came to this forum for information however what I have noticed is that the moderator(s) only appear to spend time providing censorship on comments that do nothing in the way of helping us victims of this whole Dell/AT&T debacle and that’s right moderator I said VICTIM because that is exactly what I feel I am at this point.  It was your partnership with Dell/BestBuy selling the device with a bunch of false promises (and don’t censor that because that’s just what I've received).  I was told in December when I debated to hold off from making this purchase that Android 2.2 upgrade would be released in 2 weeks, never happened, false promise #1, then the end of December, never happened, false promise #2, then the middle of January, never happened false promise #3 and most recently I was advised February 1st, false promise #4 so you see I've been made nothing but a bunch of false promises and I would have to agree that I feel as most do in my situation, I feel as though I have been "DEFRAUDED" by at&t and or members of its staff and or partners.  Now as for Dell I have my issued with Dell as well for letting this debacle play out the way it has.  But being a loyal customer of AT&T for several years I thought surely AT&T was better than this and I know for a fact we customers deserve better than this AT&T.  So moderator when you decide to censor the "honest truths" I've stated above, be sure to pass along to your superiors the "sheer disappointment I have in your organization right now".

Sincerely,

A Disappointed Customer 

Message 32 of 112
Master

[Please keep it courteous] The update release date slipped.  Technology release dates tend to do that.  Windows Phone Series 7 was supposed to ship in 2009, and it didn't make it to market until nearly 2011.

You haven't been defrauded; you were given the best info that people had available at the time you purchased the phone.  Not sure who's making all these promises to you, whether you keep asking in stores and being told this by CSRs or going by what you read on the rumor sites.  Here's a tip - the CSRs are probably reading the same tech blogs as you.  I doubt any of them have a hotline to the group testing the update.

You had your 30-day window to return the phone.  You should have exercised it.

Message 33 of 112
Scholar

The update release date slipped.  Technology release dates tend to do that. 

The above would describe this situation in a 'perfect world', but with ATT's record on updating android phones (and really in general, though it's much worse here), there's nothing but major questions about ATT's practices and ethical guidelines towards it's customers........

ATT has never, to my knowledge, admitted to an update in the works. In fact, it's hard enough finding someone at ATT who knows what a Streak is. It seems that most 'leaks' have been via Dell or Best Buy customers.

Message 34 of 112

I'm starting to think this is all a big conspiracy theory....Dell chose AT&T to be the carrier to service the Dell Streak. Dell also made the (in hind sight) poor decision to release the Streak with Android 1.6 OS when they knew that Google would be releasing the new upgrade to 2.2 in a matter of a few months promising that as soon as they had it we'd have it too. But alas hindsight is always 20/20. Couple this with the fact that AT&T's track record with Android upgrades is non-existent. Now, enter in the new "agreement" with Apple to have Verizon handle the I-phone which should have left AT&T shaking in their boots. Now my theory that everyone is in cahoots to gang up on Google to stymie Android period. After all, they have the cahoones to go up against the big guns like Apple and Windows with open source software? If not this, then AT&T either likes to give the edge to their competitors or their testing lab is the slowest in the world. Meanwhile, here we are with wonderful Dell Streaks locked to the AT&T system waiting with our thumbs .......
Message 35 of 112
Scholar

U gogirl...shes right. Googles Andriod is #1 because they had the {inappropriate language removed} todo whats right,and give the enduser the most freedom!
We all know that this no update thing is mostly about making u buy a new phone. So now they're stuck withit for 2 years.
Example. Buy an Atrix/Inspire. Ugotit now for 2years. No LTE. But ATTs LTE is coming out in Q2,right? It wont matter. You're stuck with the phone till '13!
Its very simple. Its all about planned obsolecence. The releases are coming too fast to holdout on your loyal customers. Theres Android 2.1 &.2 &.3 &.4,5,6,7! Holdingout on customers is not a good way to boost phone sales.

Message 36 of 112
Guru

Amen...three windows mobile phones, not one of them had an appropriate update.  Anyone waiting on at&t to
update anything (other than the iPhone) is pretty much wasting their time.  Seek out XDA-Developers or other sources.  HOPEFULLY, after Verizon gets the iPhone, it might put some pressure on at&t to get their corporate heads out of their you know whats LOL, and take care of the customers and update the phones in an appropriate amount of time. Android 2.3 is pretty much out, and at&t hasn't updated ONE of their android phones.

BrianfromNO wrote:

It's unfortunate the update is not here.  Unfortunately, this is not new. AT&T has been known to do this.  Ask the Windows Mobile veterans.

Message 37 of 112
Highlighted
Contributor

how absolutely ARROGANT of you!   You should have returned it?  And to try to justify this Streak fiasco by referring to the Windows Phone debacle that now has Microsoft with yet another 'too little too late" mobile product.   Maybe when enough victims stop doing business with the likes of you and Dell, maybe you'll understand the very real fact that you're in a competitive environment and to allow your technology to lag will cost you.

Message 38 of 112
Scholar

What!?! Shoulda returned it?
Message 39 of 112
Master

And this is where you'd be wrong.  With the major American GSM carriers, you have to choose one side or the other, because AT&T and T-Mobile use different 3G frequencies.  AT&T has 90+ million subscribers....T-Mo has in the mid-30s in millions of subscribers.  Where does it make sense to release the phone?

I've been around AT&T since their BellSouth Mobility days, and I've had many smartphones.  AT&T has always, and I mean always, been slow to release carrier-branded updates to their phones.

I'm not sure how Verizon picking up the iPhone is supposed to leave AT&T shaking in their boots.  The Verizon iPhone has some significant handicaps relative to its AT&T sibling, and there are parts of this country where AT&T is a better carrier.   All those iPhone 4 users, unless they bought no-contract phones, are under contract until 2013 with a newer, more expensive ETF.

This is not a conspiracy theory to take down Google, nor is it an elaborate Dan Brown thriller involves the Knights Templar, a superhuman monk and a much younger female co-star to prop up Tom Hanks.  Windows is NOT a big gun...their market share is negligible in mobile, and their handling of the release of WPS7 almost guarantees that it will remain so.  Worldwide, the big 4 are Nokia (Symbian), RIM (BB OS), Apple and the various flavors of Android phones.  So, before you go off half-cocked, you might want to have your facts in order.

Tuxedolady wrote:
I'm starting to think this is all a big conspiracy theory....Dell chose AT&T to be the carrier to service the Dell Streak. Dell also made the (in hind sight) poor decision to release the Streak with Android 1.6 OS when they knew that Google would be releasing the new upgrade to 2.2 in a matter of a few months promising that as soon as they had it we'd have it too. But alas hindsight is always 20/20. Couple this with the fact that AT&T's track record with Android upgrades is non-existent. Now, enter in the new "agreement" with Apple to have Verizon handle the I-phone which should have left AT&T shaking in their boots. Now my theory that everyone is in cahoots to gang up on Google to stymie Android period. After all, they have the cahoones to go up against the big guns like Apple and Windows with open source software? If not this, then AT&T either likes to give the edge to their competitors or their testing lab is the slowest in the world. Meanwhile, here we are with wonderful Dell Streaks locked to the AT&T system waiting with our thumbs .......

Message 40 of 112
Master

Not sure where you're getting this "Android is #1" garbage, but you might want to revisit the reports that from Gartner & another research firm that have been largely discredited.  Worldwide, Nokia is still #1, although their market share lead shrinks year-over-year.  RIM, Apple & Google are in a more or less dead heat in the US, although it's tough to integrate quarter-over-quarter activation stats with the total activated base of a particular phone.  AT&T has sold over 70 million iPhones, and they have 90+ million customers.  That doesn't mean that 3/4 of AT&T customers have iPhones, as many of those iPhone sales were to repeat customers upgrading from one model to the next.

I can't even begin to address the lack of understanding of all the moving parts here.  You have the manufacturers, some of whom (like Motorola) are canceling promised updates to phones.  Then you have the carriers, some of whom are better than others at branding updates.  The carriers also have to push forward with their network upgrades, which are largely independent of their product roadmaps.  Verizon is also implementing LTE, and anyone who's putting out a CDMA-only phone on Verizon (like the iPhone) will also miss out on their LTE implementation.  Nobody can wait for that perfect storm, that convergence of technologies, to wait to put out their phones.

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
U gogirl...shes right. Googles Andriod is #1 because they had the {inappropriate language removed} todo whats right,and give the enduser the most freedom!
We all know that this no update thing is mostly about making u buy a new phone. So now they're stuck withit for 2 years.
Example. Buy an Atrix/Inspire. Ugotit now for 2years. No LTE. But ATTs LTE is coming out in Q2,right? It wont matter. You're stuck with the phone till '13!
Its very simple. Its all about planned obsolecence. The releases are coming too fast to holdout on your loyal customers. Theres Android 2.1 &.2 &.3 &.4,5,6,7! Holdingout on customers is not a good way to boost phone sales.

Message 41 of 112
Professor

Message 42 of 112
Expert

niplips wrote:

how absolutely ARROGANT of you!   You should have returned it?  And to try to justify this Streak fiasco by referring to the Windows Phone debacle that now has Microsoft with yet another 'too little too late" mobile product.   Maybe when enough victims stop doing business with the likes of you and Dell, maybe you'll understand the very real fact that you're in a competitive environment and to allow your technology to lag will cost you.

realy? Documentation please. What "windows debacle" - are you refering to the new phones or the phones that had 6.0 on them. suspect that the windows 7 phone will get thir upgrade before android does, especially since MS already has a support page and team in place for issues.

Just remember - there has been absolutely no promises made for any upgrades to any phones that is not officially stated by excutives that have the ability to speak polciy for the company

Message 43 of 112
Expert

Message 44 of 112

Oh dear guru, you seem to have all the answers regarding this debacle.....perhaps you should spend some time with AT&T's front line of defense, their CS reps. I'm sure I'm not the only customer who's called asking for an HONEST answer as to when AT&T will release the upgrade. Since December 2010, I've called numerous times and was left with numerous non-answers not to mention mounting frustration involved with same. If AT&T really cared about their customers you'd think they would set a date and management would make sure that their techs MEET that date and roll out the upgrade ON TIME. I can't be the only one who just wants them to be a little responsible with their bread ands butter.....the customer?
Message 45 of 112
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support