Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 2, 2011
2:35:38 PM
View profile
what to do

so i have been jumping from different forums to learn how to do certain things and how to spruce up my inspire and i am still stuck. i look at the screen shots of different inspires and feel like i am truly missing out on the android experience. now, i have not rooted my device. i have started to download apps that i think are compatible to the apps i had on the bb. i am trying to set the device up as close as possible. please help me to get the most out of my android experience. how important is htc sense?

apps that i used on bb frequently:

bbnotepad

weatherbug

smiley pack

fancy characters

ringtone remix

crackberry launcher

memo pad

task

radio companion

docs to go (edit, view, create)

i have found replacements for some of the other apps that i use. Any help is appreciated. had inspire for a couple of months and still feel like its brand new

so i have been jumping from different forums to learn how to do certain things and how to spruce up my inspire and i am still stuck. i look at the screen shots of different inspires and feel like i am truly missing out on the android experience. now, i have not rooted my device. i have started to download apps that i think are compatible to the apps i had on the bb. i am trying to set the device up as close as possible. please help me to get the most out of my android experience. how important is htc sense?

bbnotepad

weatherbug

smiley pack

fancy characters

ringtone remix

crackberry launcher

memo pad

task

radio companion

i have found replacements for some of the other apps that i use. Any help is appreciated. had inspire for a couple of months and still feel like its brand new

what to do

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 2:51:44 PM
(0)
Professor

jiahar wrote:

bbnotepad

weatherbug

smiley pack

fancy characters

ringtone remix

crackberry launcher

memo pad

task

radio companion

Download Zedge from the market  for some nice wallpapaers that you can set right from the app. Did you check out the additional HTC widgets for other options? I have found ColorNote in the market to be a better notepad. It allows you to add a small post-it as a widget that is just the size you need for a small quick note or a quck link to a checklist.

jiahar wrote:

bbnotepad

weatherbug

smiley pack

fancy characters

ringtone remix

crackberry launcher

memo pad

task

radio companion

Download Zedge from the market  for some nice wallpapaers that you can set right from the app. Did you check out the additional HTC widgets for other options? I have found ColorNote in the market to be a better notepad. It allows you to add a small post-it as a widget that is just the size you need for a small quick note or a quck link to a checklist.

Re: what to do

2 of 4 (235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 3:39:53 PM
(0)
Master
There are several note application on the Market. I like colornote too. Evernote seems interesting too. Recently I have heard of Total Agenda. It looked promising.

Weatherbug is in the market. It won me over from The Weather Channel App.

The text message and gtalk have a built in access to a smiley database. The emoticons translate between android phones, but I don't know how well they display on other phone types.

Zedge or Ringdroid are good option for the ringtone creation. You can also use HTC's ringtone trimmer through the music app and create your own that way.

Memo pad and tasks would be similar to the notes applications I listed earlier. The Total Agenda application might work for tasks option more.

Docs to Go: There should be a QuickOffice on the phone. However it will only view. You can purchase the full version of QuickOffice or Documents to Go from the Market and get the editing features.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
There are several note application on the Market. I like colornote too. Evernote seems interesting too. Recently I have heard of Total Agenda. It looked promising.

Weatherbug is in the market. It won me over from The Weather Channel App.

The text message and gtalk have a built in access to a smiley database. The emoticons translate between android phones, but I don't know how well they display on other phone types.

Zedge or Ringdroid are good option for the ringtone creation. You can also use HTC's ringtone trimmer through the music app and create your own that way.

Memo pad and tasks would be similar to the notes applications I listed earlier. The Total Agenda application might work for tasks option more.

Docs to Go: There should be a QuickOffice on the phone. However it will only view. You can purchase the full version of QuickOffice or Documents to Go from the Market and get the editing features.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 4 (227 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2011 6:05:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jiahar wrote:

how important is htc sense?

That depends on what specifically you are talking about.  Technically speaking, HTC Sense extremely important.  HTC Sense is so deeply intertwined with the operating system on HTC phones, that theres is no way to remove it (short of rooting the phone and flashing a custom ROM that does not contain Sense, but that's a completely different discussion). 

Now if you want to turn off the Sense launcher, that's a different story.  The launcher is the application on Android that constitutes your home screen and the application drawer.  You are free to try other launchers.  Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher are very good ones, and run more smoothly than the Sense launcher, in my opinion.  But you lose all the HTC widgets, so its a personal choice.  Just download alternate launchers on the Android Market if you are interested.  Once you install, and press the Home button, the phone will ask if you want to change the default launcher.  You can always switch back to the stock launcher by going into Settings>Applications>Manage programs and clear defaults for the alternate launcher you were trying.  Or install "Home Switcher for Froyo" from the Market, to easily switch back and forth between launchers.

But keep in mind that changing the default launcher leaves lots of elements of Sense stil active.  This includes the Gallery, Stocks and Weather apps, the camera apps, and general theming and aesthetics that HTC does to alter the regular "vanilla" Android experience.

Now that's probably a much more complicated explanation than you were hoping for!    Smiley Tongue

jiahar wrote:

how important is htc sense?

That depends on what specifically you are talking about.  Technically speaking, HTC Sense extremely important.  HTC Sense is so deeply intertwined with the operating system on HTC phones, that theres is no way to remove it (short of rooting the phone and flashing a custom ROM that does not contain Sense, but that's a completely different discussion). 

Now if you want to turn off the Sense launcher, that's a different story.  The launcher is the application on Android that constitutes your home screen and the application drawer.  You are free to try other launchers.  Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher are very good ones, and run more smoothly than the Sense launcher, in my opinion.  But you lose all the HTC widgets, so its a personal choice.  Just download alternate launchers on the Android Market if you are interested.  Once you install, and press the Home button, the phone will ask if you want to change the default launcher.  You can always switch back to the stock launcher by going into Settings>Applications>Manage programs and clear defaults for the alternate launcher you were trying.  Or install "Home Switcher for Froyo" from the Market, to easily switch back and forth between launchers.

But keep in mind that changing the default launcher leaves lots of elements of Sense stil active.  This includes the Gallery, Stocks and Weather apps, the camera apps, and general theming and aesthetics that HTC does to alter the regular "vanilla" Android experience.

Now that's probably a much more complicated explanation than you were hoping for!    Smiley Tongue

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (214 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments