what is wap.cingular on my usage details?

Contributor

Message 1 of 10 (42,802 Views)
Professor

Re: what is wap.cingular on my usage details?

Data from either MMS messages, email, or browsing the web.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10 (42,769 Views)
Scholar

For those of us without data plans, it means that AT&T has managed to charge us another $2 this month, because we accidentally pushed the wrong button.

Message 3 of 10 (42,708 Views)
Tutor

Can we view what was being sent or received on the bill or any other way?

I have wap.cingular on my bill too

Message 4 of 10 (42,102 Views)
Tutor

Yes, exactly..I have contacted  ATT about my bill being charged an extra $2 to $4 every month & they said the only way to disable it is to have the picture messaging disabled. Another way to rip off the consumer. We should have a way to disable internet from our phone but then we would be in control & they can't have that. I'm really considering cancelling my service.

Message 5 of 10 (41,890 Views)
Scholar

Just call and bug them every month to get the charges removed.  If you happen to get a customer rep who balks at doing it, remind them that

- You did not intentionally access MediaNet (assuming this is true)

- AT&T's phones are designed so that it's almost impossible to navigate without occasionally hitting an icon that takes you to MediaNet

- If they recommend that you get a data block, ask them if you will also get a discount on your messaging plan, because with a data block you will no longer be able to send/receive IMs or MMS messaging, so you shouldn't have to pay full price for a service that AT&T is crippling.

- If they say that they have no way to disable MediaNet access without also disabling MMS and IMs, because the data looks the same to their network, so they can't block one without the other, remind them that your bill differentiates between MMS, IM and MediaNet access, so they obviously ARE able to tell the difference. Other providers are able to institute data blocks without block MMS/IM. 

Message 6 of 10 (41,653 Views)
Contributor

I have 4 Samsung Captivates, in the same house. 3 of our phones never have the wap.cingular sent message. One of our phones does. It belonged to one of my teen daughters. I traded phones with her and now the one I'm using is doing the same thing. I guarantee YOU, all of YOU, are not doing this. Your phone may be sending out signals. I know exactly where I was at the times the phone claims to have sent the wap.cingular msg. My phone was not in use and I was connected to wifi.

Make ATT take the charges off the bill and return the phone as defective!

Message 7 of 10 (29,562 Views)
Employee

the times listed is when the report for data used was sent not when data was used. also unless you changed the advanced wifi settings when the screen turns off wifi disconnects and reverts to the cellist network
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 10 (29,374 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just call and bug them every month to get the charges removed.  If you happen to get a customer rep who balks at doing it, remind them that

- You did not intentionally access MediaNet (assuming this is true)

- AT&T's phones are designed so that it's almost impossible to navigate without occasionally hitting an icon that takes you to MediaNet

- If they recommend that you get a data block, ask them if you will also get a discount on your messaging plan, because with a data block you will no longer be able to send/receive IMs or MMS messaging, so you shouldn't have to pay full price for a service that AT&T is crippling.

- If they say that they have no way to disable MediaNet access without also disabling MMS and IMs, because the data looks the same to their network, so they can't block one without the other, remind them that your bill differentiates between MMS, IM and MediaNet access, so they obviously ARE able to tell the difference. Other providers are able to institute data blocks without block MMS/IM. 

Seajohn, thank you. I've been calling them for two months now. This is an excellent summary and prep for my next phone call. It's a sticky note on my desktop.

thanks!

Message 9 of 10 (29,268 Views)
Contributor

I have a Samsung Captivate and if you hold down the power button on the top right of the phone you can deactivate the data network and still send and receive multimedia messages, it just disables the internet connection unless you are using wifi. Thankfully AT&T is now offering phones with that option, I too used to get charged for accidentally hitting that media net button.

Message 10 of 10 (13,900 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.