what happens if i put my SIM card in an iphone...

what happens if i put my SIM card in an iphone...

[ Edited ]

my account does not have any data plan whatsoever. what happens if i put my sim card into say..a brand new iphone 3g off ebay. surely at&t cant see that i have an iphone and charge the unlimited data plan to my account without telling me..that would clearly be illegal.

what if i threw my sim into a 2g iphone? would at&t still require a data plan? once again they cant charge the data plan to my account without informing me. 

Message Edited by italianxmna89 on 03-12-2009 04:34:18 PM
Message 1 of 12 (65,158 Views)

Re: what happens if i put my SIM card in an iphone...

italianxmna89 wrote:

my account does not have any data plan whatsoever. what happens if i put my sim card into say..a brand new iphone 3g off ebay. surely at&t cant see that i have an iphone and charge the unlimited data plan to my account without telling me..that would clearly be illegal.

what if i threw my sim into a 2g iphone? would at&t still require a data plan? once again they cant charge the data plan to my account without informing me. 

Message Edited by italianxmna89 on 03-12-2009 04:34:18 PM

Problem is they WILL inform you. You will get text messages from at&t telling you to add the data as they CAN tell if your using a iPhone. Then they can 100% add it because not only did they send you a text telling you to add it but also by using a iPhone you can agreeing to the terms and in the terms it states you must have a iPhone data plan. Now as for the 2G some people say yes and some say no for the data plan but I have had two different at&t reps tell me yes you still have to have it within the past month or so. Hope this helps!
Message 2 of 12 (65,141 Views)
Professor

The iPhone uses DATA for everything (including voicemail), so if you are lucky they will add a data plan! If they charge per kb. of data, expect a nice big bill...
Message 3 of 12 (65,084 Views)
Scholar

And don't come whining about how you gota $4,000 bill.
Message 4 of 12 (65,071 Views)

ok new question. does an iphone without a sim card function as a touch? or would it lock up and say there needs to be a sim card.

also, say i upgrade and get an iphone and i lose or break the phone the day i get it and i have to use i dont know..an old razr. will i still have to pay the 30 a month for data on a razr??? or could at&t cancel the data plan in that case? 

Message 5 of 12 (65,033 Views)
Master

italianxmna89 wrote:

ok new question. does an iphone without a sim card function as a touch? or would it lock up and say there needs to be a sim card.

also, say i upgrade and get an iphone and i lose or break the phone the day i get it and i have to use i dont know..an old razr. will i still have to pay the 30 a month for data on a razr??? or could at&t cancel the data plan in that case? 

Without a SIM I am fairly sure you will be told to insert one and activate the iPhone - This is done via a very pretty picture of the iTunes logo and a USB cable.

If you damage/loose the iPHone as you describe then no you do not need to keep the data plan.  You only have to have the data plan when using the iPhone on the ATT network.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 12 (65,029 Views)
Expert

DarkestHour00 wrote:

italianxmna89 wrote:

My account does not have any data plan whatsoever. what happens if i put my sim card into say..a brand new iphone 3g off ebay. surely at&t cant see that i have an iphone and charge the unlimited data plan to my account without telling me..that would clearly be illegal.

What if i threw my sim into a 2g iphone? would at&t still require a data plan? once again they cant charge the data plan to my account without informing me. 

Problem is they WILL inform you. You will get text messages from at&t telling you to add the data as they CAN tell if your using a iPhone. Then they can 100% add it because not only did they send you a text telling you to add it but also by using a iPhone you can agreeing to the terms and in the terms it states you must have a iPhone data plan. Now as for the 2G some people say yes and some say no for the data plan but I have had two different at&t reps tell me yes you still have to have it within the past month or so. Hope this helps!

And that message would be like this......."AT&T Free Msg: Usage of iPhone 3/2G requires a Data Plan for iPhone 3/2G. AT&T will automatically add the $30/20 data plan to your service. Dial 611 to add the data plan now."

Message 7 of 12 (64,936 Views)
Contributor

I already have an iphone that i bought on ebay, but i'm over trying to unlock it and i always have issues with it. My boyfrind is planning to sign up for att and get an iphone, if we sign up for a family plan and i get any free phone, can I put that att sim card into the iphone that i already have? i think this would work if i just call att after i put the sim into the iphone and upgrade to an iphone data plan. ???
Message 8 of 12 (64,762 Views)
Master

iluveblue2 wrote:
I already have an iphone that i bought on ebay, but i'm over trying to unlock it and i always have issues with it. My boyfrind is planning to sign up for att and get an iphone, if we sign up for a family plan and i get any free phone, can I put that att sim card into the iphone that i already have? i think this would work if i just call att after i put the sim into the iphone and upgrade to an iphone data plan. ???

Yes you should be fine.   I would suggest that you look at the iPhone family plan that includes the cost of two unlimited data iPHones plans.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 9 of 12 (64,739 Views)
Tutor

This is not true at all.  iPhone works just fine as an iPod without a SIM card.
Message 10 of 12 (64,473 Views)
Master

RCE1984 wrote:
This is not true at all.  iPhone works just fine as an iPod without a SIM card.

Since this is an iPhone forum, we don't have a need to pull the SIM out and try it.  What we have seen is the activation icons show up.  If there is a way around that then great but those of us here are not looking to use the iPhone in that way.

Message 11 of 12 (27,589 Views)
Tutor

Thats fine, but please dont tell people that it cannot be done, when infact it can be.  Theres alot of confusion going around about the iPhone and I think it would be helpful if people had the right information.
Message 12 of 12 (27,587 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.