Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 12, 2011
6:54:16 PM
View profile
want to cancel apple preorder, how long will it take to get my upgrade eligibility reset?
Edited by ivant on Oct 12, 2011 at 6:55:06 PM

hello

i preordered my iphone4s on sunday and it is estimated to arrive from oct 21-28

i don't want to wait that long and rather go and stand in line in an apple retail store

the probelm is that i used up my upgrade eligibility, so if i cancel my apple order, how long does it take to get reverted so i can go to the store on friday and get the phone when it comes out.

Thank You

hello

i preordered my iphone4s on sunday and it is estimated to arrive from oct 21-28

i don't want to wait that long and rather go and stand in line in an apple retail store

the probelm is that i used up my upgrade eligibility, so if i cancel my apple order, how long does it take to get reverted so i can go to the store on friday and get the phone when it comes out.

Thank You

want to cancel apple preorder, how long will it take to get my upgrade eligibility reset?

[ Edited ]
12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:01:43 PM
(0)
Tutor
Can someone please help me out? I need to know this so i can go to the store tomorrow for the launch
Can someone please help me out? I need to know this so i can go to the store tomorrow for the launch

Re: want to cancel apple preorder, how long will it take to get my upgrade eligibility reset?

2 of 13 (3,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:30:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

Sorry to tell you that AT&T will not cancel your order.  Calling is useless.  This is their strongarm tactic to keep locked into their queue, and pretty much one unprecedented in commerce.  I have never heard of  a company refusing the option to cancel a backorder product.  Only AT&T -- they're innovators afterall.

Your best bet is to call CS and give them the option of canceling your order, or canceling your entire service contract.   That will surely get action.

I am in the same situation with a pending 21-28 day estimate (after being told 1-2 weeks at time of order). But I've decided to try for two Verizon phones this weekend (ordering direct from Apple if no luck Friday) and eating the 175 ETF my the other line, and refusing delivery of the ATT iP4s if they still want to send it.

It's not about getting the phone early, it's about not signing a 2 year with a company who just slapped you in your face.

Also, send your complaints to Gizmodo (tips@gizmodo.com) and send a complaint to your district attorney's consumer protection unit. 

Good luck!

Sorry to tell you that AT&T will not cancel your order.  Calling is useless.  This is their strongarm tactic to keep locked into their queue, and pretty much one unprecedented in commerce.  I have never heard of  a company refusing the option to cancel a backorder product.  Only AT&T -- they're innovators afterall.

Your best bet is to call CS and give them the option of canceling your order, or canceling your entire service contract.   That will surely get action.

I am in the same situation with a pending 21-28 day estimate (after being told 1-2 weeks at time of order). But I've decided to try for two Verizon phones this weekend (ordering direct from Apple if no luck Friday) and eating the 175 ETF my the other line, and refusing delivery of the ATT iP4s if they still want to send it.

It's not about getting the phone early, it's about not signing a 2 year with a company who just slapped you in your face.

Also, send your complaints to Gizmodo (tips@gizmodo.com) and send a complaint to your district attorney's consumer protection unit. 

Good luck!

Re: want to cancel apple preorder, how long will it take to get my upgrade eligibility reset?

3 of 13 (3,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:39:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

You might want to call an ATT rep.  or wait for oen here to reply.

You might want to call an ATT rep.  or wait for oen here to reply.

4 of 13 (3,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:43:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
I'm not sure if it calls for all of that just yet. ATT is dealing with hundreds of thousands of preorders right now. Might want to wait just a little bit longer.
I just canceled Sprint, but totally unrelated to this. Just be careful in switching carriers because you don't know what iss you go with.ues are at hand with the next company
I'm not sure if it calls for all of that just yet. ATT is dealing with hundreds of thousands of preorders right now. Might want to wait just a little bit longer.
I just canceled Sprint, but totally unrelated to this. Just be careful in switching carriers because you don't know what iss you go with.ues are at hand with the next company

5 of 13 (3,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 10:11:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

Link, I understand that. But after having my delivery changed from Friday, then to 1-2 weeks, then to 21-28 days, one has to wonder when this thing will be shipped.  It certainly appears that ATT is the most disorganized entity involved in this launch.

I have no issue with the shortage, it is what it is.   But to be told "give me $260 and I'll give you a phone in 2 weeks" and after paying "sorry but not for a month, and no you can't have your money back" is pretty shady, and surely not deserving of a 2 year contract.

Also the specter of a "restocking fee if returned" has me seeing red under these circumstances, and thus the fax sent to my District Attorney.

Perhaps the monitors on this forum will forward these complaints and some resolution will be crafted for those that really fell through the cracks.  But it's a phone afterall, and besides complaining on the internet there's not much that can be solved as easily as walking into Apple and buying two Verizon phones, and be done with it.

Link, I understand that. But after having my delivery changed from Friday, then to 1-2 weeks, then to 21-28 days, one has to wonder when this thing will be shipped.  It certainly appears that ATT is the most disorganized entity involved in this launch.

I have no issue with the shortage, it is what it is.   But to be told "give me $260 and I'll give you a phone in 2 weeks" and after paying "sorry but not for a month, and no you can't have your money back" is pretty shady, and surely not deserving of a 2 year contract.

Also the specter of a "restocking fee if returned" has me seeing red under these circumstances, and thus the fax sent to my District Attorney.

Perhaps the monitors on this forum will forward these complaints and some resolution will be crafted for those that really fell through the cracks.  But it's a phone afterall, and besides complaining on the internet there's not much that can be solved as easily as walking into Apple and buying two Verizon phones, and be done with it.

6 of 13 (3,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 4:55:12 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by brainwaver on Oct 13, 2011 at 4:57:54 AM

I don't think the OP ordered through AT&T; they said cancel "Apple" preorder?

ivant, look on your Apple order on-line. If there is an option to "cancel order" then you should be able to. If the option is not there then it's too late. If it will allow you to cancel then I would call AT&T first and ask them if you cancel your Apple order will it reset your upgrade back to available.

I don't think the OP ordered through AT&T; they said cancel "Apple" preorder?

ivant, look on your Apple order on-line. If there is an option to "cancel order" then you should be able to. If the option is not there then it's too late. If it will allow you to cancel then I would call AT&T first and ask them if you cancel your Apple order will it reset your upgrade back to available.

[ Edited ]
7 of 13 (2,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 5:10:41 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ivant on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:17:28 AM
@brainwaiver

Yes i ordered directly through the apple website and i do have the cancel order option on their site or can do it by phone.

The thing is that i found that my local radioshack is STILL taking perorders and literally has full supply. They told me on the phone yesterday that if i went last night or today, they would hold my phone for tomorrow's launch which is amazing because no other store does that.

But the BIG problem is since i already used my upgrade when ordering the phone through apple, i have to cancel it and need to get my upgrade eligibility reset. I gave at&t a call yesterday and they just transferred me to apple. I talked to an apple rep and he told me that it usually takes 30 days to get my eligibility reset. I personally think he's lying to make me keep my order (besides he's doesnt even work in att) because ive been reading online and most people get it reset by calling at&t or taking a cancelation of the perorder to an at&t store for proof.

So i dont if I should take the risk of cancelling the order with apple and then try getting my eligibility reset the same day or just keeping my apple order and having to wait 2 weeks ^_^
@brainwaiver

Yes i ordered directly through the apple website and i do have the cancel order option on their site or can do it by phone.

The thing is that i found that my local radioshack is STILL taking perorders and literally has full supply. They told me on the phone yesterday that if i went last night or today, they would hold my phone for tomorrow's launch which is amazing because no other store does that.

But the BIG problem is since i already used my upgrade when ordering the phone through apple, i have to cancel it and need to get my upgrade eligibility reset. I gave at&t a call yesterday and they just transferred me to apple. I talked to an apple rep and he told me that it usually takes 30 days to get my eligibility reset. I personally think he's lying to make me keep my order (besides he's doesnt even work in att) because ive been reading online and most people get it reset by calling at&t or taking a cancelation of the perorder to an at&t store for proof.

So i dont if I should take the risk of cancelling the order with apple and then try getting my eligibility reset the same day or just keeping my apple order and having to wait 2 weeks ^_^

[ Edited ]
8 of 13 (2,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 6:26:04 AM
(0)
Guru

He's not lying; it's not an instantaneous process to restore your upgrade eligibility, and it likely won't happen overnight.

He's not lying; it's not an instantaneous process to restore your upgrade eligibility, and it likely won't happen overnight.

9 of 13 (2,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:33:59 AM
(0)
Mentor
That's great that Apple will allow you to cancel a back order. Resetting should be instant. It was instantly reset after ATT canceled my early morning preorder because if a glitch.

If I had any faith in the 21-28 day estimate I'd hold tight. But I'm getting the feeling ATT has zero clue. Better chance if funding a phone the next week at apple, Att, or as you said radio shack.
That's great that Apple will allow you to cancel a back order. Resetting should be instant. It was instantly reset after ATT canceled my early morning preorder because if a glitch.

If I had any faith in the 21-28 day estimate I'd hold tight. But I'm getting the feeling ATT has zero clue. Better chance if funding a phone the next week at apple, Att, or as you said radio shack.

10 of 13 (2,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 1:20:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
So is the upgrade elibility reset instantly or takes some time
So is the upgrade elibility reset instantly or takes some time

11 of 13 (2,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 1:46:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

I suspect it takes time.

I went into an AT&T corporate store on 10/8.

I ordered my phone, and it all went swimmingly until I examined the receipt.  The sales guy misheard my address and so the delivery location was incorrect.

It took almost 30 minutes to cancel the order and get a new order to the correct address.

Here is what I learned:

• They were unable to do something as simple as change the shipping location.  (I don't blame the guys in the store... the system wouldn't let them do it.)
  • They were unable to restore my eligibility after the cancellation and had to play around with discounts to get me a phone on the second order at the correct price.

I suspect it takes time.

I went into an AT&T corporate store on 10/8.

I ordered my phone, and it all went swimmingly until I examined the receipt.  The sales guy misheard my address and so the delivery location was incorrect.

It took almost 30 minutes to cancel the order and get a new order to the correct address.

Here is what I learned:

• They were unable to do something as simple as change the shipping location.  (I don't blame the guys in the store... the system wouldn't let them do it.)
  • They were unable to restore my eligibility after the cancellation and had to play around with discounts to get me a phone on the second order at the correct price.

12 of 13 (2,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 1:41:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Tganks for the replies. I was able to do what i wanted by making a 3way call with apple and att so that apple could confirm the order was cancelled
Tganks for the replies. I was able to do what i wanted by making a 3way call with apple and att so that apple could confirm the order was cancelled

13 of 13 (2,161 Views)