Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 10, 2008
11:02:24 PM
View profile
voicemail charges
ok we have been going over in minutes because we have 4 people on a 550 anytime plan.. the biggest problem is the airtime being charged for voicemail.. in our contract and in the features page in the personal section of att wireless it says voicemail no cost.. so we get the voicemail box for free  but we are charged to use it?.. that doesnt make sense.. i had a friend show me their feature section on the att wireless personal pages and his does not show voicemail no cost.. just voicemail. he does not pay extra for the voicemail box and still gets charged airtime for checking his voicemail. does that not make sense that since mine says voicemail no cost that i should not be charged airtime for checking the box?
ok we have been going over in minutes because we have 4 people on a 550 anytime plan.. the biggest problem is the airtime being charged for voicemail.. in our contract and in the features page in the personal section of att wireless it says voicemail no cost.. so we get the voicemail box for free  but we are charged to use it?.. that doesnt make sense.. i had a friend show me their feature section on the att wireless personal pages and his does not show voicemail no cost.. just voicemail. he does not pay extra for the voicemail box and still gets charged airtime for checking his voicemail. does that not make sense that since mine says voicemail no cost that i should not be charged airtime for checking the box?

voicemail charges

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2008 3:57:42 AM
(0)
Master
You get charged airtime when checking VM. VM is not a mobile number, so you don't benefit for M2M minutes.

The way to avoid the peak airtime charges is to check VM from a landline...or check VM after your NW minutes start.
You get charged airtime when checking VM. VM is not a mobile number, so you don't benefit for M2M minutes.

The way to avoid the peak airtime charges is to check VM from a landline...or check VM after your NW minutes start.
Posted from my Samsung Captivate

Re: voicemail charges

2 of 13 (12,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2008 10:10:30 AM
(0)
Contributor
[You get charged airtime when checking VM. VM is not a mobile number, so you don't benefit for M2M minutes.]

That does not make sense. 
In that case - they should give users additional "VM" minutes.

I would say - giove a toll-free # - but they charge for airtime on those too.
[You get charged airtime when checking VM. VM is not a mobile number, so you don't benefit for M2M minutes.]

3 of 13 (12,091 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2008 11:10:02 AM
(0)
Master

prlc wrote:

I don't make the rules. I'm just telling you what they are.

I agree that VM minutes should be free. I usually call in from a landline to check my messages during the day. Or I call in after my NW minutes start.

prlc wrote:

I agree that VM minutes should be free. I usually call in from a landline to check my messages during the day. Or I call in after my NW minutes start.

4 of 13 (12,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2008 12:03:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

csp_gp wrote:

Could be worse some foreign carriers charge you for VM access no matter where you call from.

csp_gp wrote:

Could be worse some foreign carriers charge you for VM access no matter where you call from.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (12,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2008 12:48:28 PM
(0)
Contributor
Starting 4 months ago - my normal $150 phone bill jumped to $400. When I called 4 different times to customer service, there was no explanation other than going over minutes. I could not understand because I knew that I was not talking more. I am sure customer service for AT&T runs into this a lot. I have paid over a thousand dollars in overage minutes in past 4 months.

I finally figured out yesterday, no thanks to Cingular/AT&T that every time I call my voicemail, Cingular charges me. I am a busy Realtor. I check voicemail 5x a day. This accounts for $250 to $450 a month on my phone bill. Charges for checking voicemail were not part of my agreement.

Does anyone know about a class action lawsuit for deceptive trades and practices against AT & T?  Would anyone recommend a different provider that does not charge for checking voicemail?

If AT&T does not stop this new program of charging for checking voicemail, would anyone like to submit something with me to better business bureau? I am really upset. If I can not resolve my $900 bill this month - I might just start a new blog for AT & T unhappy customers.

Oh by the way, everytime you call customer service and wait on hold - you are racking up more overage charges. It happeded to me all 4 times that I called.

Starting 4 months ago - my normal $150 phone bill jumped to $400. When I called 4 different times to customer service, there was no explanation other than going over minutes. I could not understand because I knew that I was not talking more. I am sure customer service for AT&T runs into this a lot. I have paid over a thousand dollars in overage minutes in past 4 months.

I finally figured out yesterday, no thanks to Cingular/AT&T that every time I call my voicemail, Cingular charges me. I am a busy Realtor. I check voicemail 5x a day. This accounts for $250 to $450 a month on my phone bill. Charges for checking voicemail were not part of my agreement.

Does anyone know about a class action lawsuit for deceptive trades and practices against AT & T?  Would anyone recommend a different provider that does not charge for checking voicemail?

If AT&T does not stop this new program of charging for checking voicemail, would anyone like to submit something with me to better business bureau? I am really upset. If I can not resolve my $900 bill this month - I might just start a new blog for AT & T unhappy customers.

Oh by the way, everytime you call customer service and wait on hold - you are racking up more overage charges. It happeded to me all 4 times that I called.

6 of 13 (11,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2008 1:21:11 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Aug 20, 2008 at 1:24:05 PM

overchargedcustomer wrote:

If you call 611 from your cell phone, it's a free call. If you're being charged for that, you need to dispute that.

If you knew 4 months ago that you were incurring overages, why did you not increase your voice plan to an amount that would cover the overages?

Better to pay $20 extra a month for more minutes than you need than to not have enough.

Hopefully, you've at least increased your plan minutes NOW, so that while these other charges are being disputed, you don't continue to rack up MORE overage charges.

VM minutes are charged to everyone. If you check your VM during peak hours, you will be charged out of your anytime bucket. If you check during NW minutes or from a landline, you don't get charged.

If you're a realtor that depends on your cell phone for everything, then you should be on the $99 unlimited voice plan.

If you have a data plan on your phone, sign up for www.youmail.com and have your voicemails emailed to your phone as MP3s so that you don't have to call in to check your messages. Just listen to the MP3s embedded in your email (or read the transcripts...although they can be pretty hilarious if the person leaving the message mumbles or has an accent)...

Good luck.

Message Edited by csp_gp on 08-20-2008 01:24:05 PM

If you call 611 from your cell phone, it's a free call. If you're being charged for that, you need to dispute that.

If you knew 4 months ago that you were incurring overages, why did you not increase your voice plan to an amount that would cover the overages?

Better to pay $20 extra a month for more minutes than you need than to not have enough.

Hopefully, you've at least increased your plan minutes NOW, so that while these other charges are being disputed, you don't continue to rack up MORE overage charges.

VM minutes are charged to everyone. If you check your VM during peak hours, you will be charged out of your anytime bucket. If you check during NW minutes or from a landline, you don't get charged.

If you're a realtor that depends on your cell phone for everything, then you should be on the $99 unlimited voice plan.

If you have a data plan on your phone, sign up for www.youmail.com and have your voicemails emailed to your phone as MP3s so that you don't have to call in to check your messages. Just listen to the MP3s embedded in your email (or read the transcripts...although they can be pretty hilarious if the person leaving the message mumbles or has an accent)...

Good luck.

Message Edited by csp_gp on 08-20-2008 01:24:05 PM

[ Edited ]
7 of 13 (11,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2008 3:29:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Why don't you get the $99.99 unlimited plan? It would be a lot smarter than paying all those overages.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

Why don't you get the $99.99 unlimited plan? It would be a lot smarter than paying all those overages.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 13 (11,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2008 7:34:54 PM
(0)
Master

Does anyone know about a class action lawsuit for deceptive trades and practices against AT & T?  Would anyone recommend a different provider that does not charge for checking voicemail?  - Great bring lawyers into this and that cost goes up even more.  This is an old practice.  The only one who would win is the lawyer.  BTW, your contract has a clause for arbitration.  You would need to potentially get past that before seeking redress in the courts.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Does anyone know about a class action lawsuit for deceptive trades and practices against AT & T?  Would anyone recommend a different provider that does not charge for checking voicemail?  - Great bring lawyers into this and that cost goes up even more.  This is an old practice.  The only one who would win is the lawyer.  BTW, your contract has a clause for arbitration.  You would need to potentially get past that before seeking redress in the courts.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

9 of 13 (11,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2008 8:10:25 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by mod.moose on Aug 21, 2008 at 12:13:42 AM

The lawyers are expensive. I found 50 blogs today that are search engine optimized for "AT&T" and other relevent search phrases that the company might use for acquiring new customers. I guess I can start by posting on 5 blogs per day until AT & T Cingular Wireless changes the recent policy of charging extra minutes for checking voicemail. {Please refrain from posting unauthorized solicitation.}

It is really a shame, the service was good until they started cheating customers on checking voicmail overage charges. This is a deceptive practice that they started approximately 120 days ago. It will not be long before several more reports start showing up for AT and T  on the BBB Better Business Bureau.

If you are looking for a new cell phone service provider, I highly recommend not using AT&T until they change the check voice mail penalty charges.

Message Edited by mod.moose on 08-21-2008 12:13:42 AM

The lawyers are expensive. I found 50 blogs today that are search engine optimized for "AT&T" and other relevent search phrases that the company might use for acquiring new customers. I guess I can start by posting on 5 blogs per day until AT & T Cingular Wireless changes the recent policy of charging extra minutes for checking voicemail. {Please refrain from posting unauthorized solicitation.}

It is really a shame, the service was good until they started cheating customers on checking voicmail overage charges. This is a deceptive practice that they started approximately 120 days ago. It will not be long before several more reports start showing up for AT and T  on the BBB Better Business Bureau.

If you are looking for a new cell phone service provider, I highly recommend not using AT&T until they change the check voice mail penalty charges.

Message Edited by mod.moose on 08-21-2008 12:13:42 AM

[ Edited ]
10 of 13 (11,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2008 8:53:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by kdfederer on Aug 20, 2008 at 8:54:44 PM

Then you better not go to Verizon, they charge minutes for voicemail too. You used to be able to call your phone number from your cell phone and get to the voicemail and it was considered Mobile to Mobile. Then about 2 years ago, they changed it and you were charged minutes for calling Voice Mail even if you dialed your own number from your own phone.

Message Edited by kdfederer on 08-20-2008 10:54:44 PM

Then you better not go to Verizon, they charge minutes for voicemail too. You used to be able to call your phone number from your cell phone and get to the voicemail and it was considered Mobile to Mobile. Then about 2 years ago, they changed it and you were charged minutes for calling Voice Mail even if you dialed your own number from your own phone.

[ Edited ]
11 of 13 (5,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2008 8:19:14 AM
(0)
Contributor
THank you for this post!  I didn't know that they started to charge just to check voicemail until recently!  I was pretty upset.  I have been an ATT for a long time and I didn't know they started to charge for VM.  I always thought it was free to check from your phone.  THank you for letting me know that they started doing this two years ago...I thought I was crazy!  So they did at one point had VM free from checking from your mobile!!!  Now that I know I feel better.
THank you for this post!  I didn't know that they started to charge just to check voicemail until recently!  I was pretty upset.  I have been an ATT for a long time and I didn't know they started to charge for VM.  I always thought it was free to check from your phone.  THank you for letting me know that they started doing this two years ago...I thought I was crazy!  So they did at one point had VM free from checking from your mobile!!!  Now that I know I feel better.

12 of 13 (4,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2008 4:30:24 PM
(0)
Guru

kdfederer wrote:

Verizon also charges for not using any long distance.  Go figure.  I saw that in the local paper the other day where customer's were getting charged an extra $4 at least for not using the long distance.  I guess it's there way of say "we'll rob you blind; one way or another".  

kdfederer wrote:

Verizon also charges for not using any long distance.  Go figure.  I saw that in the local paper the other day where customer's were getting charged an extra $4 at least for not using the long distance.  I guess it's there way of say "we'll rob you blind; one way or another".  

13 of 13 (4,959 Views)