Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 28, 2010
9:05:28 AM
View profile
using data on wi-fi??

I just checked my data usage and it states I have used a little over a mb in data. I am sitting right next to my router so I don't get this?? My phone says I am connected to my router in the settings so what the heck am I doing wrong??  Also yesterday I hooked up to a Mcdonalds wi-fi and it shows as used data also. I don't understand all of this!! lol

I just checked my data usage and it states I have used a little over a mb in data. I am sitting right next to my router so I don't get this?? My phone says I am connected to my router in the settings so what the heck am I doing wrong??  Also yesterday I hooked up to a Mcdonalds wi-fi and it shows as used data also. I don't understand all of this!! lol

using data on wi-fi??

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 9:11:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Any time you're NOT hooked up to wifi, you're using 3G data. So any email checking, any background apps on social networking sites, any web browsing, any checking the weather, or stocks, anything at all that isn't via wifi is 3g.

If you want to be sure you don't use wireless data and ONLY use wifi, you can use the Setting app, under General, Network, Cellular Data. Turn that off, and it won't use any data other then wifi.

Any time you're NOT hooked up to wifi, you're using 3G data. So any email checking, any background apps on social networking sites, any web browsing, any checking the weather, or stocks, anything at all that isn't via wifi is 3g.

If you want to be sure you don't use wireless data and ONLY use wifi, you can use the Setting app, under General, Network, Cellular Data. Turn that off, and it won't use any data other then wifi.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: using data on wi-fi??

2 of 7 (911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 10:26:56 AM
(0)
Professor

Correct, also checking your voicemail uses data and other misc. features the phone does uses data as well. Just because its connected to WiFi 100% of the time does not stop you from using data.

If you block the cellular data (which was suggested) then keep in mind your voicemail will not work properly and you will not be able to send/recieve MMS (multimedia) messages.

Correct, also checking your voicemail uses data and other misc. features the phone does uses data as well. Just because its connected to WiFi 100% of the time does not stop you from using data.

If you block the cellular data (which was suggested) then keep in mind your voicemail will not work properly and you will not be able to send/recieve MMS (multimedia) messages.

3 of 7 (858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 10:58:40 AM
(0)
Scholar
Agree with the two answers above and a mb isn't much to be concerned about.
Agree with the two answers above and a mb isn't much to be concerned about.

4 of 7 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 11:27:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by BARNMAN on Jul 28, 2010 at 11:28:40 AM

Used my ip4 in the Netherlands earlier this month in (airplane mode, data off, WiFi only)  not charged one cent.  Checked email and surfed the web and my home security cameras, not one bit of data or charge to my account.  You can do the same in USA if you just want to use WiFi, but no calls or data will come through.

Used my ip4 in the Netherlands earlier this month in (airplane mode, data off, WiFi only)  not charged one cent.  Checked email and surfed the web and my home security cameras, not one bit of data or charge to my account.  You can do the same in USA if you just want to use WiFi, but no calls or data will come through.

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 11:54:54 AM
(0)
Explorer

Okay I had the data turned off and when I checked my phone it stated there was a voicemail but I had to turn data on. That is no problem. But is that the only thing it will really effect? I can't see anything else that is not working. Emails are fine, calls,web surfing, etc...

And I know that I didn't really use that much. I am just really trying to understand it all before I do!! Smiley Happy

I am glad I asked on here! I had no idea it would still use data when hooked to wi-fi!!

Thanks for all your replies!!!!!

Okay I had the data turned off and when I checked my phone it stated there was a voicemail but I had to turn data on. That is no problem. But is that the only thing it will really effect? I can't see anything else that is not working. Emails are fine, calls,web surfing, etc...

And I know that I didn't really use that much. I am just really trying to understand it all before I do!! Smiley Happy

I am glad I asked on here! I had no idea it would still use data when hooked to wi-fi!!

Thanks for all your replies!!!!!

6 of 7 (789 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 11:55:26 AM
(0)
Professor

BARNMAN, best way to do it. Congrats at the no data!

BARNMAN, best way to do it. Congrats at the no data!

7 of 7 (786 Views)