using a go phone sim on another phone will work?

Teacher

using a go phone sim on another phone will work?

Hi well i have a prepaid LG thrive from at&t which i had for exactly 8 months and it dnt work that great anymore and i was wondering if i were to take out the sim card and put it in an at&t branded motorola atrix 2 that there gonna sell me for 60 bucks in good condition will it work?? Because i have heard that it probably wont work because the atrix 2 is considered an 4G phone some people tell me it will and i will continue having the same plan i have on the thrive as long as the other phone is an at&t branded phone which it is . Once i put my att sim from my thrive on the atrix 2 everything should work right? or will at&t make it not work somehow help?? cuz im confused...
Message 1 of 5
Teacher

Re: using a go phone sim on another phone will work?

You're buying the used Atrix 2 from a friend? Will they let you pop your sim card in it and try it first?

There are other Go Phone users that have upgraded their phones in this forum. I've read of some using the Samsung Captivate successfully, so I think it should work with the Atrix 2. You won't get 4G access, but that phone is backward compatible with 3G, so it should work. You might check with AT&T customer service to be sure your sim card isn't locked to your Thrive. Hopefully someone that has experience using the Atrix 2 or other newer phones with Go Phone will participate in this thread. Please post how it turns out for you. I was thinking of getting an Atrix 2 or Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket to upgrade my Thrive. I'm less enthused about doing so, now that AT&T has taken a dump on non monthly prepaid customers concerning data plans, though.

Message 2 of 5
Teacher

well i ended up buyin it from my friend cuz the phone is practically new he only used it for less than a month . I tried my wifes postpaid sim card from her galaxy s2 and everything worked data, calls etc.I put my prepaid sim card from my thrive first thing i noticed is i get a 4G icon instead of 3G. And calls and txt work fine yay but data DOESNT work at all! And i bought a data plan the 1GB for 25 bucks but still it doesnt work at all. I take out the sim put it back on the thrive and data, calling works i take it back out put it in the atrix 2 for a 2nd time only calls and txts work like the first time data for some reason is just not kicking in i cant even send or receive picture messages. i checked the apn setting on the atrix its set to cingular and i checked the apn settings on the thrive and there exactly the same so i dont know what to do . Its a good thing i have wifi in my house . So for now im only using it for calls which is great calls sound much loud and clear than my thrive but yea it sucks data doesnt work its getting frustating i dont care if i dnt get 3G/4G speeds i just want the data to work because at work they dnt have wifi and slow speeds are better than nothing haha i guess ima have to go to the at&t store later amd see what happens.
Message 3 of 5
Teacher

Try changing the APN settings in your Atrix 2 to the settings recommended by hnzw_rui in the thread linked to below. Please let us know if it works for you Smiley Happy

http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-Skyrocket-with-GoPhone/m-p/3079291#M40932

Message 4 of 5
Teacher

More complete instructions are given by andrewcarnegieIV in the thread below.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Using-GoPhone-SIM-on-4G-phones/m-p/2769191#M37679

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support