Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Jun 9, 2012
10:03:10 AM
using 2 microcells in one house with one modem

Hi everyone, 

Im new to the forum. I was one of the first ATT customers to ever get a microcell. Ive been using it for years and it works great. Thankfully I can at least get some kind of service when I am around it!

Unfortunately the Microcell does not cover very much of my house. The way I have the microcell hooked up is the modem to the microcell to my apple airport extreme (this was the only way to set it up when the mcell first came out because the mcell didnt work with airport extremes. Its worked the way I have it set up so Ive never changed it). At another end of my house I have a netgear accesspoint to extend the wifi range of my internet. I would like to use a 2nd mcell and connect it to my netgear access point. 

I have 2 questions:

- Will the mcell work if its connected to an accesspoint or wifi range extender if there is no modem connected to the accesspoint?

- My accesspoint only has one ethernet port which is used, can I use an ethernet switch so then plug the mcell into?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi everyone, 

Im new to the forum. I was one of the first ATT customers to ever get a microcell. Ive been using it for years and it works great. Thankfully I can at least get some kind of service when I am around it!

Unfortunately the Microcell does not cover very much of my house. The way I have the microcell hooked up is the modem to the microcell to my apple airport extreme (this was the only way to set it up when the mcell first came out because the mcell didnt work with airport extremes. Its worked the way I have it set up so Ive never changed it). At another end of my house I have a netgear accesspoint to extend the wifi range of my internet. I would like to use a 2nd mcell and connect it to my netgear access point. 

I have 2 questions:

- Will the mcell work if its connected to an accesspoint or wifi range extender if there is no modem connected to the accesspoint?

- My accesspoint only has one ethernet port which is used, can I use an ethernet switch so then plug the mcell into?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

using 2 microcells in one house with one modem

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2012 2:20:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You have your MicroCell setup in what is called Priority Mode, which works, but is usually the configuration used for trouble-shooting. I have an Apple Extreme Base Station connected; modem (DSL gateway) -> AEBS -> MicroCell. I get coverage all over my house and outside with mine so it sounds like you quite haven't found the sweet spot for your MicroCell. That can be difficult though when you have to be within 18" of a window. I don't think you can have two MicroCells registered to one account at the same location. Part of the registration process is tied to the sn of the MicroCell. I believe the MicroCell has to be connected via ethernet to either the modem (priority) or to the router.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

You have your MicroCell setup in what is called Priority Mode, which works, but is usually the configuration used for trouble-shooting. I have an Apple Extreme Base Station connected; modem (DSL gateway) -> AEBS -> MicroCell. I get coverage all over my house and outside with mine so it sounds like you quite haven't found the sweet spot for your MicroCell. That can be difficult though when you have to be within 18" of a window. I don't think you can have two MicroCells registered to one account at the same location. Part of the registration process is tied to the sn of the MicroCell. I believe the MicroCell has to be connected via ethernet to either the modem (priority) or to the router.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: using 2 microcells in one house with one modem

2 of 11 (4,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 12:19:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. 

Doesnt the microcell put out its own singnal that is completely seperate from the wifi signal. The microcell signal only has around a 30-40' radious. So no matter where the sweet spot is it would never cover my entire house. Thats why I need two so that at least in 2 spots in my house I will have some kind of reception. I know that you can register 2 microcells. 

So my main questions is... Can I simply plug my 2nd microcell into my accesspoint at the other end of my house?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. 

Doesnt the microcell put out its own singnal that is completely seperate from the wifi signal. The microcell signal only has around a 30-40' radious. So no matter where the sweet spot is it would never cover my entire house. Thats why I need two so that at least in 2 spots in my house I will have some kind of reception. I know that you can register 2 microcells. 

So my main questions is... Can I simply plug my 2nd microcell into my accesspoint at the other end of my house?

Thanks!

3 of 11 (4,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 9:19:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

clarkiphone wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 

Thanks!

You must have a big house then cause our MicroCell works in the very back of our yard or out on the sidewalk in front of the house. You may be able to register two MicroCells but not necessarily at the same GPS location. Even if you could, as you walk around your house the signal would bounce from MicroCell to Microcell and you would proably get dropped calls analagous to being handed off from, or to, a cell tower when you move from MicroCell to tower. Why don't you unplug your current MicroCell and see if it will work thru your access point? At least you'll know if the access point will allow it. My guess is no unless you can make a direct ethernet connection to your router. You could always use an ethernet swich to give you one more port to your access point.

clarkiphone wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 

Thanks!

You must have a big house then cause our MicroCell works in the very back of our yard or out on the sidewalk in front of the house. You may be able to register two MicroCells but not necessarily at the same GPS location. Even if you could, as you walk around your house the signal would bounce from MicroCell to Microcell and you would proably get dropped calls analagous to being handed off from, or to, a cell tower when you move from MicroCell to tower. Why don't you unplug your current MicroCell and see if it will work thru your access point? At least you'll know if the access point will allow it. My guess is no unless you can make a direct ethernet connection to your router. You could always use an ethernet swich to give you one more port to your access point.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (4,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 11:27:41 AM
(0)
Guru

Actually, I had two MicroCells in our house once-upon-a-time, both connected via Cat 5 to my Actiontec router.  The main problem with that configuration is that phones did not jump back and forth from one MC to the other.  A phone tended to stay on the first MC it connected too, even if that signal became pretty weak and the other MC's signal was much stronger.  For sure a phone would never change in the middle of a call if you walked from the coverage area of one MC to the other.

I eventually wound up finding a sweet spot in the middle of our rectangular shape house where one MC covers the entire house, but if that's not possible then yes, you can have two MicroCells on the same account and at the same location.  Just be aware that the lack of switching between the two can be a problem.

Actually, I had two MicroCells in our house once-upon-a-time, both connected via Cat 5 to my Actiontec router.  The main problem with that configuration is that phones did not jump back and forth from one MC to the other.  A phone tended to stay on the first MC it connected too, even if that signal became pretty weak and the other MC's signal was much stronger.  For sure a phone would never change in the middle of a call if you walked from the coverage area of one MC to the other.

I eventually wound up finding a sweet spot in the middle of our rectangular shape house where one MC covers the entire house, but if that's not possible then yes, you can have two MicroCells on the same account and at the same location.  Just be aware that the lack of switching between the two can be a problem.

5 of 11 (4,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 1:00:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the info. 

Ya im not worried about the phones switching from one mcell to the other. Its completely fine with me if it just coneects to one and stays on that one. Just as long as which ever part of the house im in im connected to an mcell. 

So my questions is:

How can I set up my second mcell without connecting it directly to my first router. I need to connect it to the accesspoint on the opposite side of my house. 

My accesspoint has 1 ethernet port. I connected an ethernet switcher to my accesspoint which gave me 5 additional ports. I have the ethernet cable delivering the internet to the accesspoint, the accesspoint and the mcell all plugged into the switcher. The mcell has done everything but get a solid "3g" indicator, it just blinks green. The power, software update and location service lights are all solid green but like I said the "3g" indicator just blinks. 

I even tried taking my 2nd mcell and hooking it up in the same exact configuration where my 1st mcell is but it would never get the solid "3g" indicator either. 

Is something wrong with the mcell? 

Thanks for the info. 

Ya im not worried about the phones switching from one mcell to the other. Its completely fine with me if it just coneects to one and stays on that one. Just as long as which ever part of the house im in im connected to an mcell. 

So my questions is:

How can I set up my second mcell without connecting it directly to my first router. I need to connect it to the accesspoint on the opposite side of my house. 

My accesspoint has 1 ethernet port. I connected an ethernet switcher to my accesspoint which gave me 5 additional ports. I have the ethernet cable delivering the internet to the accesspoint, the accesspoint and the mcell all plugged into the switcher. The mcell has done everything but get a solid "3g" indicator, it just blinks green. The power, software update and location service lights are all solid green but like I said the "3g" indicator just blinks. 

I even tried taking my 2nd mcell and hooking it up in the same exact configuration where my 1st mcell is but it would never get the solid "3g" indicator either. 

Is something wrong with the mcell? 

6 of 11 (4,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 1:24:00 PM
(0)
Guru

So the switch is between your Verizon router and the Netgear access point?  The access point and the MicroCell are both fed from outputs from the switch?   If that's so, it should work.

You might try temporarily disconnecting the access point and connecting the Cat 5/6 cable directly to the MicroCell without using the switch.  And it probably is a good idea to try to get the MicroCell that is already working going at the other end of the house....to eliminate the possibility of a MicroCell problem.

So the switch is between your Verizon router and the Netgear access point?  The access point and the MicroCell are both fed from outputs from the switch?   If that's so, it should work.

You might try temporarily disconnecting the access point and connecting the Cat 5/6 cable directly to the MicroCell without using the switch.  And it probably is a good idea to try to get the MicroCell that is already working going at the other end of the house....to eliminate the possibility of a MicroCell problem.

7 of 11 (4,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 1:42:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

No, I have my modem to my first mcell to my apple airport extreme. Then I have an ehternet cable to a powerline ethernert port which takes the internet signal to my other ethernet powerline port to the other end of my house where I have my accesspoint. The accesspoint is where I have my ethernet switch and 2nd mcell. 

No, I have my modem to my first mcell to my apple airport extreme. Then I have an ehternet cable to a powerline ethernert port which takes the internet signal to my other ethernet powerline port to the other end of my house where I have my accesspoint. The accesspoint is where I have my ethernet switch and 2nd mcell. 

8 of 11 (4,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 6:26:51 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jefe on Jun 12, 2012 at 6:32:28 AM

It's possible that the powerline adapter is not a good enough Internet connection to the MicroCell.

If the first MicroCell, the one that's already working in the original location, won't work connected through the powerline adapaters I think it's safe to assume the powerline adapater is the problem.   If so, and if you can't run Cat 5/6 to where you want to place the second MC, I'm out of ideas.

It's possible that the powerline adapter is not a good enough Internet connection to the MicroCell.

If the first MicroCell, the one that's already working in the original location, won't work connected through the powerline adapaters I think it's safe to assume the powerline adapater is the problem.   If so, and if you can't run Cat 5/6 to where you want to place the second MC, I'm out of ideas.

[ Edited ]
9 of 11 (4,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 9:25:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

No its the second mcell that wont work in the exact same configuration as the 1st mcell. 

The powerline adapters are powerful enough. 

No its the second mcell that wont work in the exact same configuration as the 1st mcell. 

The powerline adapters are powerful enough. 

10 of 11 (4,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 9:51:07 AM
(0)
Guru

If the second unit won't work in place of the first one then that would point to that MicroCell being defective.

But does the original until work where you want to place new one, after the powerline adapaters?   It seems you need to determine two things:  a) Does the replacement MicroCell function at all when connected properly; and b) will any MicroCell work connected through your powerline adapaters.

I have some experience with powerline adapaters.  They're great when there's no other option for hardwire but their performance can be inconsistent.   If you have a laptop or some other device you can connect via Ethernet to your router and then to the remote powerline adapter, you might try running a test at www.speedtest.net.   See what speeds you get at each end of the the powerline connection and, as important, what the ping is at each location.

If the second unit won't work in place of the first one then that would point to that MicroCell being defective.

But does the original until work where you want to place new one, after the powerline adapaters?   It seems you need to determine two things:  a) Does the replacement MicroCell function at all when connected properly; and b) will any MicroCell work connected through your powerline adapaters.

I have some experience with powerline adapaters.  They're great when there's no other option for hardwire but their performance can be inconsistent.   If you have a laptop or some other device you can connect via Ethernet to your router and then to the remote powerline adapter, you might try running a test at www.speedtest.net.   See what speeds you get at each end of the the powerline connection and, as important, what the ping is at each location.

11 of 11 (4,009 Views)