Ask a question

Posted Sep 9, 2011
9:23:58 PM
View profile
upside down video

OK, I know this is a known issue based on Google searches. I took a HD video with my iphone4. When I play it back on my Windows laptop, it's upside down. When I play it on my iphone4 it's correctly rightside up. I just want to be able to save my movie so that when I play it on my Windows laptop it's rightside up like when I play it from my iphone. Is that too much to ask? Yes I took the movie in landscape mode. Why is this so hard? Yes I did Google searches and the only useful thing I found was a program that I can purchase that will apply a filter to convert my movie so it's rightside up. I tried a free player, VLC Media Player, that's supposed to do the conversion but it crashes.

Come on, this can't be that difficult. Help?!?

upside down video

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 4:50:47 AM
(0)
Professor

You are holding it wrong!  haha Smiley Very Happy

Seriously though... when recording the video in landscape mode, is the home button in your right or left hand?  The home button should be on the right hand side when recording in landscape mode.  If it is on the left hand side, then the video is legitimately upside down.

There are multiple threads on this issue in the Apple forums, some suggest it has to do with starting the recording with device in one orientation, then while recording, flipping the device.  Others indicate the issue has to do with the player the video is being played on and that player not support the EXIF rotation data encoded into the video.

Re: upside down video

2 of 5 (844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 7:14:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

davidsf wrote:

We've all done it, don't feel bad. I shot some great video in Germany that required a lot of editing to de-flip Smiley Happy

ALWAYS shoot video in landscape orientation, with the HOME button on the right side. That is "rightside up" for the camera. The video image contains the orientation (at least the starting orientation) of the camera, and the iPhone's video playback software flips the image for you if you happen to shoot upside down. When you take the video out, it plays however you shot it - so it's upside down if you shoot it that way, just like it would be if you shot video holding your camcorder upside down.

If you are on a PC, you should be able to use the free http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/movie-maker movie maker to edit the movie flip it, and re-render it to a "rightside up" version.

Here's a video showing how to rotate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlqqlS8CDv4

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 2:01:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

davidsf wrote:

We've all done it, don't feel bad. I shot some great video in Germany that required a lot of editing to de-flip Smiley Happy

ALWAYS shoot video in landscape orientation, with the HOME button on the right side. That is "rightside up" for the camera. The video image contains the orientation (at least the starting orientation) of the camera, and the iPhone's video playback software flips the image for you if you happen to shoot upside down. When you take the video out, it plays however you shot it - so it's upside down if you shoot it that way, just like it would be if you shot video holding your camcorder upside down.

If you are on a PC, you should be able to use the free http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/movie-maker movie maker to edit the movie flip it, and re-render it to a "rightside up" version.

Here's a video showing how to rotate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlqqlS8CDv4

One question- does using Movie Maker reduce the resolution of the re-rendered video? There's a really great program I found, in terms of ease of use, called Free Video Flip and Rotate, but it reduced the resolution of my 720p HD video to where I sometimes see pixelation. The resulting file size was reduced by a factor of 10! I would like to preserve the 720p.

TIA.

4 of 5 (818 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 2:54:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No idea, really - I used a mac the last time I held it wrong.

looks like if you have "professional" versions of the OS (win7/vista) you can save it in Windows Media HD 720p which should be the same quality. Of course, I'm not even sure you can import MOV files into windows media.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (811 Views)