Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 30, 2011
4:00:31 PM
View profile
upgrading to a 4G unlimited data plan

I'm in the NYC area and previously had the iPhone 3G unlimited data plan.  I recently bought an unbranded smartphone (capable of HSDPA speeds of 21MPS).  I went to a corporate store to ask if I can be upgraded to a 4G unlimited data plan. 

First, is that possible in NYC?

The customer rep said it was possible and then charged me $24.99 for a "MISC SD 4GB MICRO SD M".  Is this what the 4G card is?

The receipt shows "ADDED Smarphone Personal Add On", so I don't know what the difference between an unlimited iPhone data plan and an unlimited Smartphone data plan is.  Any thoughts?

Logging into the AT&T website, I noticed I went from "Data GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - CMB1Reflects the Media and wireless Internet services used during the current billing cycle, including ringtones, games, and graphics downloaded. Internet and download usage is measured in megabytes (MB)." to "Data
GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - DPPB"

A quick google search shows:

iPhone unlimited code is
GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - CMB1

3G Smartphone unlimited code is
GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - DPPB

4G smartphone unlimited code is
GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - HSDPPB

did I get screwed?

I'm in the NYC area and previously had the iPhone 3G unlimited data plan.  I recently bought an unbranded smartphone (capable of HSDPA speeds of 21MPS).  I went to a corporate store to ask if I can be upgraded to a 4G unlimited data plan. 

First, is that possible in NYC?

The customer rep said it was possible and then charged me $24.99 for a "MISC SD 4GB MICRO SD M".  Is this what the 4G card is?

The receipt shows "ADDED Smarphone Personal Add On", so I don't know what the difference between an unlimited iPhone data plan and an unlimited Smartphone data plan is.  Any thoughts?

Logging into the AT&T website, I noticed I went from "Data GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - CMB1Reflects the Media and wireless Internet services used during the current billing cycle, including ringtones, games, and graphics downloaded. Internet and download usage is measured in megabytes (MB)." to "Data
GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - DPPB"

A quick google search shows:

iPhone unlimited code is
GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - CMB1

3G Smartphone unlimited code is
GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - DPPB

4G smartphone unlimited code is
GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - HSDPPB

did I get screwed?

upgrading to a 4G unlimited data plan

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2011 4:56:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

Not sure if possible in NYC being that i do not live there lol. Somebody will tell you im sure of it. About the data plan, if you have an unlimited plan it should be grandfathered in unless you took it off for some reason. The only difference is in atts systems they will show as "iphone data plan" "blackberry data plan" and "smartphone data plan." I would check your att.com/myatt account and view your "features" to make sure someone at that COR store didnt do something under the rug by putting their agent code in for a feature they added and you're not aware of (fraud?).

Not sure if possible in NYC being that i do not live there lol. Somebody will tell you im sure of it. About the data plan, if you have an unlimited plan it should be grandfathered in unless you took it off for some reason. The only difference is in atts systems they will show as "iphone data plan" "blackberry data plan" and "smartphone data plan." I would check your att.com/myatt account and view your "features" to make sure someone at that COR store didnt do something under the rug by putting their agent code in for a feature they added and you're not aware of (fraud?).

Re: upgrading to a 4G unlimited data plan

2 of 14 (4,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2011 5:00:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Basically, I went from an unlimited iPhone data plan to a generic smartphone 3G data plan and had to pay for a SIM card, which was unnecessary.  This was after asking the agent to switch from an iPhone unlimited plan to a smartphone 4G plan. She either didn't know what she was doing or didn't care.  I just called up 611 and said since my phone is unlocked, I can't get the 4G data plan. 

I just love when two ATT reps contradict each other.  Sigh...

Basically, I went from an unlimited iPhone data plan to a generic smartphone 3G data plan and had to pay for a SIM card, which was unnecessary.  This was after asking the agent to switch from an iPhone unlimited plan to a smartphone 4G plan. She either didn't know what she was doing or didn't care.  I just called up 611 and said since my phone is unlocked, I can't get the 4G data plan. 

I just love when two ATT reps contradict each other.  Sigh...

3 of 14 (4,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2011 3:23:06 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on May 31, 2011 at 3:26:11 AM

So, you went from an iphone (unlimited data) to a 4G phone (unlimited plan), right? That's good to know for others who still have their unlimited data plan.  There were postings on the forum that 4G "service' or phone devices will not honor the 'grandfathered' unlimited data plan .

The question now for your resolution is : why does your online account reflect the 3G unlimited data plan when you distinctly want 4G services for your new 4G device?  And AT&T's recent response is 'since your phone is unlocked, you dont qualify for a 4G plan even though your phone is a 4G device?".

So, you went from an iphone (unlimited data) to a 4G phone (unlimited plan), right? That's good to know for others who still have their unlimited data plan.  There were postings on the forum that 4G "service' or phone devices will not honor the 'grandfathered' unlimited data plan .

The question now for your resolution is : why does your online account reflect the 3G unlimited data plan when you distinctly want 4G services for your new 4G device?  And AT&T's recent response is 'since your phone is unlocked, you dont qualify for a 4G plan even though your phone is a 4G device?".

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (4,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2011 8:54:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

If you have an 3g unlimited data plan att will honor it when going to a 4g data plan with exception of the original iphone data plan.

If you have an 3g unlimited data plan att will honor it when going to a 4g data plan with exception of the original iphone data plan.

5 of 14 (4,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2011 9:32:14 AM
(0)
Professor
Coolstorybro, thanks for that clarification
Coolstorybro, thanks for that clarification

6 of 14 (4,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2011 10:33:42 AM
(0)
Professor
Those codes are correct. HSDPPB is the code for the unlimted plan for AT&T's 4G devices that use a special assgined APN. Since your phone is unbranded, the DPPB plan is likely correct due to the APN that you would be using. As for the charge that you paid, that description is for a memory chip, not a sim card. If they actually put a memory chip in your device, then at least you got what you paid for, although I don' t know why they would force you to buy this. If you got nothing, then I would be in a hurry to get back to that store.
Those codes are correct. HSDPPB is the code for the unlimted plan for AT&T's 4G devices that use a special assgined APN. Since your phone is unbranded, the DPPB plan is likely correct due to the APN that you would be using. As for the charge that you paid, that description is for a memory chip, not a sim card. If they actually put a memory chip in your device, then at least you got what you paid for, although I don' t know why they would force you to buy this. If you got nothing, then I would be in a hurry to get back to that store.

7 of 14 (4,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2011 11:26:15 PM
(0)
Mentor
Sim cards are free. I havnt paid for one in 6 years. A 4GB micro SD card should cost maybe $10. Those stores really nickel & dime u to death!
Sim cards are free. I havnt paid for one in 6 years. A 4GB micro SD card should cost maybe $10. Those stores really nickel & dime u to death!

8 of 14 (4,130 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 12:12:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

rwc3b wrote:

That's pretty clearly a 4 Gigbyte Micro SD card (memory card), not a 4G SIM.

rwc3b wrote:

That's pretty clearly a 4 Gigbyte Micro SD card (memory card), not a 4G SIM.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 14 (4,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 12:21:47 PM
(0)
Professor
I can sure use a 4gig SD
I can sure use a 4gig SD

10 of 14 (4,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 12:35:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

RicoLX wrote:
I can sure use a 4gig SD

That's nothing.  I have a 16 gig, could use more.

RicoLX wrote:
I can sure use a 4gig SD

That's nothing.  I have a 16 gig, could use more.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 14 (1,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 12:43:12 PM
(0)
Professor
Right, I have a 16 in the streak, but one of my older (backup) phone's dying for an sd... Any sd
Right, I have a 16 in the streak, but one of my older (backup) phone's dying for an sd... Any sd

12 of 14 (1,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2011 9:27:36 AM
(0)
Professor

CollateralDamage wrote:

I've never paid for a sim card myself and have never bought a SD card from AT&T. Their prices are outrageous.

CollateralDamage wrote:

I've never paid for a sim card myself and have never bought a SD card from AT&T. Their prices are outrageous.

13 of 14 (1,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2011 9:36:02 AM
(0)
Professor
I never buy accessories at att, online or elsewhere.
I never buy accessories at att, online or elsewhere.

14 of 14 (1,955 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments