Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 23, 2012
2:25:06 PM
View profile
unwanted services billed to my account-where can I complain?

I just discovered that AT&T has been billing me $30 per month for the past 13 months for 3rd party text msg services I did not ask for nor did I approved these services.  ATT is allowing 3rd party companies to add charges to my, (and others) bill without my permission.  These text msg services are sending unwanted, unsolicited texts to mine and my wife's, and kids phones.  I really don't know how much i have been illegally charged because ATT could only go back 12 months!

I contacted ATT and they would only remove $69 of the est. $400 they allowed to be charged to me.  This is wrong!!!  To me this is the same as if I bought some shoes at Wal-mart and they decided to add a shirt to my bill after I left the store.  That is not legal and this should not be legal either.  I asked for a phone number and was told to look it up on the back of my bill.  Problem is I went paperless a while back and there is no back side when I print out my bill.

To say I am disappointed in ATT is an understatement.  I expected this from some fly by night two bit company, not one that I have stayed with for over 40 years, land lines and cell phones.  Please, will someone tell me where and how I might be able to reach someone at the company who gives a hoot. 

I just discovered that AT&T has been billing me $30 per month for the past 13 months for 3rd party text msg services I did not ask for nor did I approved these services.  ATT is allowing 3rd party companies to add charges to my, (and others) bill without my permission.  These text msg services are sending unwanted, unsolicited texts to mine and my wife's, and kids phones.  I really don't know how much i have been illegally charged because ATT could only go back 12 months!

I contacted ATT and they would only remove $69 of the est. $400 they allowed to be charged to me.  This is wrong!!!  To me this is the same as if I bought some shoes at Wal-mart and they decided to add a shirt to my bill after I left the store.  That is not legal and this should not be legal either.  I asked for a phone number and was told to look it up on the back of my bill.  Problem is I went paperless a while back and there is no back side when I print out my bill.

To say I am disappointed in ATT is an understatement.  I expected this from some fly by night two bit company, not one that I have stayed with for over 40 years, land lines and cell phones.  Please, will someone tell me where and how I might be able to reach someone at the company who gives a hoot. 

unwanted services billed to my account-where can I complain?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2012 6:25:43 PM
(0)
Master

ATT will usually take care of things like this but they can only go back so far.  You can see if they can block the ability to add stuff like this to your account.  This is something that the FCC requires the carriers to support even though it is a terrible customer experience as you are now going through.  My question is why you did not review your bill more frequently?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

ATT will usually take care of things like this but they can only go back so far.  You can see if they can block the ability to add stuff like this to your account.  This is something that the FCC requires the carriers to support even though it is a terrible customer experience as you are now going through.  My question is why you did not review your bill more frequently?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: unwanted services billed to my account-where can I complain?

2 of 5 (654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 7:59:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

When I was a Sprint customer, I never saw fees suddenly appear on my bill. 14 years with Sprint.

2 months with AT&T and my bill is nearly twice the amount promised. They know we have no way of enforcing their bate-n-switch promises.

I was satisfied with the other carrier except, my home was in a bad spot so my cell did not work there. I should have been content. I should not have given AT&T another chance. SHAME ON ME!

Well, I have 1 year and 10 months to go... and AT&T is history. Forever. And that goes for my parents cells, my wife's, my four kids, my brother, and my 5 sisters....and all their kids. I will actively spread the word of AT&T corruption and theft.

DO NOT GIVE AT&T A CHANCE TO TAKE YOUR MONEY! RUN!

When I was a Sprint customer, I never saw fees suddenly appear on my bill. 14 years with Sprint.

2 months with AT&T and my bill is nearly twice the amount promised. They know we have no way of enforcing their bate-n-switch promises.

I was satisfied with the other carrier except, my home was in a bad spot so my cell did not work there. I should have been content. I should not have given AT&T another chance. SHAME ON ME!

Well, I have 1 year and 10 months to go... and AT&T is history. Forever. And that goes for my parents cells, my wife's, my four kids, my brother, and my 5 sisters....and all their kids. I will actively spread the word of AT&T corruption and theft.

3 of 5 (510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 10:40:09 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry that you had such a long period where 3rd party charges were billed to you. I try to make a habit of reviewing my billing statement for all my monthly services to see if there are oddities. 

Were you able to get Purchase Blocker added to your line to prevent this from happening in the future? Here's a link with some more info about that: http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/3rd-Party-Subscriptions-amp-Purchase-Blocker/td-p/3095123

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I'm sorry that you had such a long period where 3rd party charges were billed to you. I try to make a habit of reviewing my billing statement for all my monthly services to see if there are oddities. 

Were you able to get Purchase Blocker added to your line to prevent this from happening in the future? Here's a link with some more info about that: http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/3rd-Party-Subscriptions-amp-Purchase-Blocker/td-p/3095123

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (490 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 10:41:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

davcal wrote:

@davcal - I responded to your post here (http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/False-billing-for-service-I-DO-NOT-HAVE/m-p/3206903#M80075). Please let me me know what's going on with your bill so we can help. 

--------------

davcal wrote:

@davcal - I responded to your post here (http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/False-billing-for-service-I-DO-NOT-HAVE/m-p/3206903#M80075). Please let me me know what's going on with your bill so we can help. 

--------------

5 of 5 (489 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments