Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 24, 2009
9:46:58 PM
View profile
unlocked phones
i got a phone that is tmobile but its unlocked to work on at&t but the emails dont come to my phone it saids there is insufficent network coverage what does that mean thanks
i got a phone that is tmobile but its unlocked to work on at&t but the emails dont come to my phone it saids there is insufficent network coverage what does that mean thanks

unlocked phones

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2009 4:30:31 AM
(0)
Master
The phone should support both the 850 & 1900 MHz bands to work well on AT&T Mobility's network. Some of the phones that T-Mobile has sold in the past only support the 1900 MHz band, which will not work at all in 850 MHz only coverage areas. There is also a possibility that you are in a poor coverage area. It may help to know the make & model of the phone that you're using, if you've tried other phones in that area, and a zip code. Have you tried AT&T's Coverage Viewer to find out what your coverage area is or Wireless Advisor to find out which bands are supported in your area?
The phone should support both the 850 & 1900 MHz bands to work well on AT&T Mobility's network. Some of the phones that T-Mobile has sold in the past only support the 1900 MHz band, which will not work at all in 850 MHz only coverage areas. There is also a possibility that you are in a poor coverage area. It may help to know the make & model of the phone that you're using, if you've tried other phones in that area, and a zip code. Have you tried AT&T's Coverage Viewer to find out what your coverage area is or Wireless Advisor to find out which bands are supported in your area?

Re: unlocked phones

2 of 4 (296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2009 12:11:45 PM
(0)
Master

Do you have a data plan?

What kind of phone is it?  What data connection settings are you using to connect to the internet?  Does the internet work when you visit web pages?

Do you have a data plan?

What kind of phone is it?  What data connection settings are you using to connect to the internet?  Does the internet work when you visit web pages?

3 of 4 (286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2009 10:38:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

shawnta2000 wrote:

Phones crippled (I'm sorry, I meant "customized") by a carrier often have their data settings hard coded to that carrier's settings. SIM unlocking the phone doesn't necessarily unlock the data settings as well, it may require that you replace the T-Mobile customized firmware with a generic version.

Even if the data settings are unlocked, you would have to set them manually for AT&T, as they're not automatically configured via the SIM. My best guess based on what you're saying is that your phone is trying to use T-Mobile data settings, which of course fails, so it thinks you have no data (GPRS/EDGE) coverage.

shawnta2000 wrote:

Phones crippled (I'm sorry, I meant "customized") by a carrier often have their data settings hard coded to that carrier's settings. SIM unlocking the phone doesn't necessarily unlock the data settings as well, it may require that you replace the T-Mobile customized firmware with a generic version.

Even if the data settings are unlocked, you would have to set them manually for AT&T, as they're not automatically configured via the SIM. My best guess based on what you're saying is that your phone is trying to use T-Mobile data settings, which of course fails, so it thinks you have no data (GPRS/EDGE) coverage.

4 of 4 (274 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments