unable to receive oversized message

Tutor

unable to receive oversized message

I'm on the goplan with a Z221 phone. Someone tried sending me an MMS and when i try to retrieve it it says unable to receive oversized message.

What is the size limit? When i open the message it sats 32.0kb, although i know it's actually bigger then that since when they emailed the attachment to me, it was around 400kb.

Message 1 of 7 (478 Views)
Guru

Re: unable to receive oversized message

If you would do a simple search, you would find: "The AT&T mobile broadband neetwork will deliver MMS (picture, video or audio) messages up to 600 kilobytes (KB). Media file aattachments will be compressed on the device prior to being sent in order to keep the message size below 600 KB. The maximum size for sending and receiving MMS messages is also dependent upon the recipient's device and the limitations of other carrier networks (e.g., other carriers may have a lower MMS size limit than AT&T)."   Since you didn't mention any other detail, such as incoming carriers, etc. I present the above statement from AT&T.

Message 2 of 7 (469 Views)
Tutor

i did do a simple search. unfortunately it didn't answer my question. Since the attachment is under 600kb, then the max size must be smaller for that phone. But i haven't found anything telling me what the size limit is for that phone.

Message 3 of 7 (467 Views)
Guru

The Z221 uses the "MMS 3Gpp Release 5.3"  protocol. This might be limited to 300 KB.

Message 4 of 7 (463 Views)
Tutor

thank you! where'd you find that info?

Message 5 of 7 (461 Views)
Guru

google anything similar to "z221 mms size limit."  As you sift through the possibilities, you will find answers. For example, one of the Pantechs uses the same protocol. Usually each level is "locked in." As they develop newer ones, the parameters change or advance.

Message 6 of 7 (459 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Any idea what the numbers 91022 means under text on my bill?

Message 7 of 7 (437 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.