two year contracts for upgrade

two year contracts for upgrade

having been a loyal wireless customer for over 13 years, never a late payment, why do i need a contract for a better phone at a customer price? Even a new customer is usually given a phone with their contract with no guarantee that they will ever pay their bill.........Seems unfair

Message 1 of 14 (15,494 Views)

Re: two year contracts for upgrade

[ Edited ]

This is the devil's bargain we make with the wireless carriers - they give us a heavily discounted phone, and we agree to sign a contract to maintain service for two years. In the case of new customers, AT&T runs a credit check on every new postpaid customer, and they will demand a deposit (sometimes $500 or more) if the prospective customer has bad or limited credit.

You are ALWAYS free to purchase a phone at full price, either via AT&T or any other outlet, and use it on a no-contract, month-to-month basis on a postpaid account.

Message 2 of 14 (15,483 Views)
Expert

veryunhappyman wrote:

having been a loyal wireless customer for over 13 years, never a late payment, why do i need a contract for a better phone at a customer price? Even a new customer is usually given a phone with their contract with no guarantee that they will ever pay their bill.........Seems unfair

when you current subsidized phone becomes eligible for the discounted upgrade cost you will receive the exact same pricing that a new customer gets, just like you did on the current phone that you have. Upgradeeleigiblity varies between 18 and 24 months depedning on a number of parameters, cost of bill for the line, if you have been late on payments, etc.

Nothin unfari about it, you got your current phone at a reduced price when you agreed to the contract, you will get your next phone at a reduced price when you are eligible for it.

Message 3 of 14 (15,462 Views)

I have all my phone services[both home and wireless] with AT&T, I have 2 cell phones and 3 home phone lines, I pay nearly $200 a month. In these times people are looking to save money anyway they can including canceling home service and using cell phones as there home phone. If AT&T believes i am a risk and need to be under a contract in order to maintain service with them then ask yourself this, why would i pay for a phone at any price that only works with AT&T and then quit there service. I have shared minutes [500 mins] and have accumulated over 2000 rollover mins. And as far as my credit, it stands on its own, never been late on the bill. I think i've just described the perfect customer for any wireless provider. maybe its time to cancel my home phone service and shop around.

Message 4 of 14 (15,449 Views)
Expert

veryunhappyman wrote:

I have all my phone services[both home and wireless] with AT&T, I have 2 cell phones and 3 home phone lines, I pay nearly $200 a month. In these times people are looking to save money anyway they can including canceling home service and using cell phones as there home phone. If AT&T believes i am a risk and need to be under a contract in order to maintain service with them then ask yourself this, why would i pay for a phone at any price that only works with AT&T and then quit there service. I have shared minutes [500 mins] and have accumulated over 2000 rollover mins. And as far as my credit, it stands on its own, never been late on the bill. I think i've just described the perfect customer for any wireless provider. maybe its time to cancel my home phone service and shop around.

All carriers have the same exact policy for subsidized phones, the price you pay for a upgrade or new service is no where near the actual retail cost of the phone from the manufacturer. You might be able to get exactrly what you demand at a regional carrier, or a pay as you go service. It is your misconception that "you are a risk" becasue they demand a 2 year contract to foot the bill for the majority cost of the new phone, they are paying the difference you they want reassurance that you will nto walk away 30 minutes after you get the phone and cancel the service. All carriers demand reassurance that they will get their investment back on a newly subsidized phone.

If you don;t want a contract then pay full price for the device from the carrier or buy a unlocked phone at full retail that is compatible from fleabay.

Go ahead and shop around, just expect to see the same policy from the top 3 tiered carriers and the majority of lower tiered carriers, it is the way the wireless inductry works. Sounds like you would be more happy with a pay-as-you-go service rather then a contract service. Remember a couple of things - ATT is the only carrier that has roll-over minutes, if you are still under contract for your current phone your final bill will contain any remaining ETF charges on the lines that you cancel and a non-pro-rated last month bill. 

Message 5 of 14 (15,445 Views)

your assertion that a contract is to insure I don't change carriers has no merit. I had AT&T wireless when it was still Cingular wireless and in 13 yrs of service only 2 yrs was under contract , the other 11 yrs was just loyalty to the carrier. So, why do I need to be treated like a new customer. Sounds like you work for them.

Message 6 of 14 (15,441 Views)
Former Employee

The ONLY reason you get discount on the phone is when you sign a 2 year contract. You asked why would you buy a phone and not use it, plenty of people do that, buy phones at reduced prices and then sell them, iPhone that cost $200 with a contract can be sold for over $500 on eBay (because no contract price is $650 and lots of people are under a contract already or because they cost over $1000 overseas), AT&T doesn't care what you do with it, but if you want discount you WILL have sign a contract. If you're not planning on leaving why not just sign a contract? AT&T is not a person to whom you can say "trust me"... it's a corporation that operates on policies and rules and everyone has to obey, customers (new or old) and employees.

AT& doesn't discriminate against their customers, new or old, and treats everybody equally which is the only fair way, IMO. You see, Old "loyal" customers feel they deserve a better treatment because they've been with AT&T for so long and New customers feel they should get the best offer because they're free to shop around and if they don't get it they'll go to competition, or people feel they're doing AT&T a favor by switching to them from competition... Instead AT&T offers the same deal for everyone, it is fair and simple.

Message 7 of 14 (15,437 Views)

First off i did'nt say why would i buy a phone and then not use it, i said why would i buy a phone that only works with AT&T and then change carriers, and you can't possible make someone believe that my cost is the same as employee cost, i'm sure employees can get new phones without a 2 yr contract.

Message 8 of 14 (15,433 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

veryunhappyman wrote:

your assertion that a contract is to insure I don't change carriers has no merit. I had AT&T wireless when it was still Cingular wireless and in 13 yrs of service only 2 yrs was under contract , the other 11 yrs was just loyalty to the carrier. So, why do I need to be treated like a new customer. Sounds like you work for them.

/rofl - work for them, sorry to disappoint you but I do not work for them, if you look at the people that actually work for ATT you will see either a special icon under teir name or a disclaimer signature line on their posts.

Does ot matter if it is a cell phone, a house, a car or a credit card all companies require a signed agreement that you will actually hold up your requirements as set forth in said agreement, I know of no company that will foot the cost of anything to a end user without a signed agreement that allows them to recover the costs of the item. Sorry Cingular had the exact same policy - you upgrade with a subsidized phone you signed the 2 year contract - basic business 100 - If you ar unhappy with the contract or waiting for the upgrade eligibility period to get a new phone then you should move on, just remmber the no tier 1 - 3 carrier will subsidize the majority of the cost of the phone with out you signing a 2 year agreement, and they will not allow you to upgade for a subsidized price before you elgilibility date comes around.

have never seen a carrier that will say "here, here is a phone that retails for 699.00 but I will give it to you for 199.00 and you will not have to sign anything promising that you will stay until we make the cost up on you" TANSTAAFL.

Message 9 of 14 (15,426 Views)
Former Employee

veryunhappyman wrote:

First off i did'nt say why would i buy a phone and then not use it, i said why would i buy a phone that only works with AT&T and then change carriers, and you can't possible make someone believe that my cost is the same as employee cost, i'm sure employees can get new phones without a 2 yr contract.

I wasn't talking about employee's costs, but if you must know, NOPE, employees don't receive any special treatment, The same exact plans and contracts as everybody else.

May I ask you something? Why do you have such huge problem with the contract? It's just how this industry works, I assumed everyone knew this by now.

Message 10 of 14 (15,421 Views)

AT&T has had NO signed agreement with me for 11 yrs

Message 11 of 14 (15,100 Views)
Expert

veryunhappyman wrote:

AT&T has had NO signed agreement with me for 11 yrs

So you have either paid full price for the phone or never upgraded in 11 years - if you EVERY got a subsidized phone in those 11 yrs you where placed under contract, with the advent of electronic paperwork you can agree to teh contract without physically signing a paper. The other option is you are on a pay as you go phone line.

Message 12 of 14 (15,095 Views)
Contributor

Drumm_bass, Old "loyal" customers are only "loyal" because they are offered something better than the competition. Right now, I am ready to upgrade my phone. I've been a "loyal" customer since 2003, and an iphone user since 2007. All ATT can offer me in my upgrade is less service for a higher monthy bill. Why would I stay with ATT if I have to pay $30 more a month, when I can pay a little less and move to Verizon? I am out of contract and will have to invest the same amount of $ for a new phone, so I think it would be in ATT's best interest to keep me. And by offering the same pricing, or better comparable pricing, is the best way to do that. I've talked with 6 different salespeople on the phone about this, and they didn't care if I left or not. That was the pricing, take it or leave it. On my 7th call, I was offered a transfer to Customer Relations who said she was "doing me a favor" by letting me have the 200 text/$5 per month plan in lieu of your forced $20 unlimited text plan. If I emailed her, I can have her reinstate this onto my upgrade. Now, I had to insist on some kind of incentive to stay with ATT, and then she says she's doing me a favor? ATT fails at keeping subscribers. I had to dig for it.

Message 13 of 14 (15,025 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

consumerawareness wrote:

Drumm_bass, Old "loyal" customers are only "loyal" because they are offered something better than the competition. Right now, I am ready to upgrade my phone. I've been a "loyal" customer since 2003, and an iphone user since 2007. All ATT can offer me in my upgrade is less service for a higher monthy bill. Why would I stay with ATT if I have to pay $30 more a month, when I can pay a little less and move to Verizon? I am out of contract and will have to invest the same amount of $ for a new phone, so I think it would be in ATT's best interest to keep me. And by offering the same pricing, or better comparable pricing, is the best way to do that. I've talked with 6 different salespeople on the phone about this, and they didn't care if I left or not. That was the pricing, take it or leave it. On my 7th call, I was offered a transfer to Customer Relations who said she was "doing me a favor" by letting me have the 200 text/$5 per month plan in lieu of your forced $20 unlimited text plan. If I emailed her, I can have her reinstate this onto my upgrade. Now, I had to insist on some kind of incentive to stay with ATT, and then she says she's doing me a favor? ATT fails at keeping subscribers. I had to dig for it.

wrong, have been with att in one shape or form for decades - going back to when you counted the number of consecutive rings to see if the phone call was for you. I am "loyal" because the service in my home are works and is reliable, I could care less if they utilize tricks to entice new customers, if the level of service changes and drops I walk away, period, end of the business relationship. I don;t expect anything other then what is the current upgrade cost for a new phone, may ask for a waiver of the upgrade fee, if they give it fine, if not so what, but that is it.

Personally do not expect any company to kowtow to my demands for special treatment becasue I am a "loyal" customer. If you fee that another provider will do better, then move, it is that simple. 

By the way I am also a "loyal" customer of verizon, sprint, O2 and globalstar since I and my employees also carry phones from all those providers - that is a negotiated contract that renews every five years and we start negoiating 6 to 8 months in advance of the termination of it, a personal contract is normally not negotiable

Message 14 of 14 (15,020 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.