Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 18, 2011
10:00:27 AM
turning data complely off on htc inspire?

well i'm finallly upgrading from my old razr.   i don't want to start billing for data until end of current cycle on the 29th though.   my phone supposedly comes in tommorow and i was wondering if it's possible to turn data complely off and use my old sim card just on wifi until the cycle ends.  i don't want to rack upa ridiculus amount of data fees because, i don't have data on pre upgrade contract

well i'm finallly upgrading from my old razr.   i don't want to start billing for data until end of current cycle on the 29th though.   my phone supposedly comes in tommorow and i was wondering if it's possible to turn data complely off and use my old sim card just on wifi until the cycle ends.  i don't want to rack upa ridiculus amount of data fees because, i don't have data on pre upgrade contract

turning data complely off on htc inspire?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 10:03:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:04:45 AM

They won't charge you for the full month, just pro-rated for whatever the portion of the month you added the data plan.  You can't use the phone without a data plan, anyway.  The network will read the IMEI number off your phone, and ATT will automatically add the data plan, as per their policy on smartphones.

They won't charge you for the full month, just pro-rated for whatever the portion of the month you added the data plan.  You can't use the phone without a data plan, anyway.  The network will read the IMEI number off your phone, and ATT will automatically add the data plan, as per their policy on smartphones.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: turning data complely off on htc inspire?

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (1,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 10:09:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

so i can't just turn off data complletely until end of month?   so if i decide to activate tommorow there will be 11 days left in billing cycle.   so i would be paying 11/30*$15= $5.50?

so i can't just turn off data complletely until end of month?   so if i decide to activate tommorow there will be 11 days left in billing cycle.   so i would be paying 11/30*$15= $5.50?

3 of 7 (1,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 11:28:56 AM
(0)
Professor

sportscrazed2 wrote:

That would be accurate assuming that your billing cycle starts/ends with the month.  They do not always conincide with the beginning of the month.

sportscrazed2 wrote:

That would be accurate assuming that your billing cycle starts/ends with the month.  They do not always conincide with the beginning of the month.

4 of 7 (1,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 11:34:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yeah, basically they will just prorate the data plan fee, so you just pay the number of days you use.  So you don't gain anything by waiting until the end of your bill cycle, or lose anything by using data immediately.

Yeah, basically they will just prorate the data plan fee, so you just pay the number of days you use.  So you don't gain anything by waiting until the end of your bill cycle, or lose anything by using data immediately.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (1,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 5:35:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by MrSteve on Apr 19, 2011 at 5:45:38 AM

Yep for me this what happen. I got my phone about 10 days before my cycle was over, so I was pro rated on my plan, I am on the 4gb tethering plan. BUT, here is the good one. You pay for the plan you are about to use, not what you use in the last month, billed ahead. So my 1st smart phone bill was crazy high so be prepared, instead of my bill being about $50 higher the 1st month, it was about $70 higher. In other words you are going to be billed for 2 months of data use, pro rated for the 1st, then full price for the month that is about to happen.

Yep for me this what happen. I got my phone about 10 days before my cycle was over, so I was pro rated on my plan, I am on the 4gb tethering plan. BUT, here is the good one. You pay for the plan you are about to use, not what you use in the last month, billed ahead. So my 1st smart phone bill was crazy high so be prepared, instead of my bill being about $50 higher the 1st month, it was about $70 higher. In other words you are going to be billed for 2 months of data use, pro rated for the 1st, then full price for the month that is about to happen.

[ Edited ]
6 of 7 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 6:32:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That's true, I forgot about that.  They always bill you a month ahead.

That's true, I forgot about that.  They always bill you a month ahead.

7 of 7 (1,648 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments