Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 18, 2011
10:23:11 PM
View profile
trying to save battery life by closing apps...doesn't seem to work for long
Edited by fihe on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:23:47 PM

I know how to use "force stop" in the application manager on my HTC Inspire 4G to close programs, but they always seem to open again after a few minutes!  is there a way to keep the apps closed until I specifically open them?  I don't want my battery to drain with applications I don't even want open!

I know how to use "force stop" in the application manager on my HTC Inspire 4G to close programs, but they always seem to open again after a few minutes!  is there a way to keep the apps closed until I specifically open them?  I don't want my battery to drain with applications I don't even want open!

trying to save battery life by closing apps...doesn't seem to work for long

[ Edited ]
9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 6:28:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The way Android works, killing an app before its done doing what its doing, will just cause it to respawn.  Apps in memory are usually just frozen (just there to open faster when you go back to them), and don't use up battery.  Or they are apps scheduled to sync regularly. 

My recommendation would be to only use the force stop function in a case where an app is hung up, or otherwise having problems, and needs to be restarted. 

The way Android works, killing an app before its done doing what its doing, will just cause it to respawn.  Apps in memory are usually just frozen (just there to open faster when you go back to them), and don't use up battery.  Or they are apps scheduled to sync regularly. 

My recommendation would be to only use the force stop function in a case where an app is hung up, or otherwise having problems, and needs to be restarted. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: trying to save battery life by closing apps...doesn't seem to work for long

2 of 10 (844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 10:15:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

Advance task killer app in the market is a great free app to help w/ this. You can have it constantly run in the running app drop down thing...has where can open it from your at all time and takes VERY little battery to run it. I use it almost everytime I know I'm going to set my phone down for a long period. Also there is a widget that you can install w/ it that is push activated and will kill them from your home screen.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Advance task killer app in the market is a great free app to help w/ this. You can have it constantly run in the running app drop down thing...has where can open it from your at all time and takes VERY little battery to run it. I use it almost everytime I know I'm going to set my phone down for a long period. Also there is a widget that you can install w/ it that is push activated and will kill them from your home screen.

Re: trying to save battery life by closing apps..Doesn't seem to work for long

3 of 10 (830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 10:23:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Task Killers are not a good idea, for the reason I mentioned above.  Killing an app before its done, will just cause it to respawn.  An app frozen in memory doesn't drain battery.  But wasting CPU cycles to repeatedly respawn an app, then kill it, will almost certainly use more battery.  Android manages tasks on its own just fine, let it do its thing.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

The exception is a rogue (poorly coded) application with runaway memory usage.  But apps that work as they should, do not need to be killed. 

Task Killers are not a good idea, for the reason I mentioned above.  Killing an app before its done, will just cause it to respawn.  An app frozen in memory doesn't drain battery.  But wasting CPU cycles to repeatedly respawn an app, then kill it, will almost certainly use more battery.  Android manages tasks on its own just fine, let it do its thing.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

The exception is a rogue (poorly coded) application with runaway memory usage.  But apps that work as they should, do not need to be killed. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: trying to save battery life by closing apps..Doesn't seem to work for long

4 of 10 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 10:42:13 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by dysfunxion on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:49:26 AM

Odd. I will admit I'm new to Android devices, I came from Blackberry where battery wasn't even a concern for me. But for about a week of having my Inspire I didn't know any such thing about a task killer until I complained about battery life. I then was told about the advance task killer app. No instead of my battery dieing before I get off work its about 50% or little less. This is coming from my normal behavior from the time I didn't have the app till the time I did..Matter fact I'm using it more then before because battery life isn't really a big issue anymore. This app has also helped me with the lag between pages. I had noticed a difference in moving from page to page with a delay if I had not used my task killer in awhile. Once I use it if I stumble on that issue it seems to work fine after I kill selected task. Not often I have to use it for that reason but when that time comes....seems to work for my phone w/ lag and battery life as well.

So it may have a blog or article about how not to use the task killer apps and how it doesn't help but I personally have experienced a difference in my battery life. So I stick by my word.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Odd. I will admit I'm new to Android devices, I came from Blackberry where battery wasn't even a concern for me. But for about a week of having my Inspire I didn't know any such thing about a task killer until I complained about battery life. I then was told about the advance task killer app. No instead of my battery dieing before I get off work its about 50% or little less. This is coming from my normal behavior from the time I didn't have the app till the time I did..Matter fact I'm using it more then before because battery life isn't really a big issue anymore. This app has also helped me with the lag between pages. I had noticed a difference in moving from page to page with a delay if I had not used my task killer in awhile. Once I use it if I stumble on that issue it seems to work fine after I kill selected task. Not often I have to use it for that reason but when that time comes....seems to work for my phone w/ lag and battery life as well.

So it may have a blog or article about how not to use the task killer apps and how it doesn't help but I personally have experienced a difference in my battery life. So I stick by my word.

Re: trying to save battery life by closing apps.Doesn't seem to work for long

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 12:40:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:45:24 PM

I certainly don't discount your experiences (which are certainly intriguing).  I've just stated the issue as I understand it. Some swear by task killers, others are solidly against.  It probably would take somebody smarter than either of us to really sort out or explain the best answer, if there is even one!

What "pages" are you speaking of (that's not standard Android terminology)?   There can be some different things going on, what tasks/apps are you killing?  I also know the Inspire comes with some bloat that is in memory on startup (despite most people not using the said app), that supposedly kills the battery.   In that case, there are apps for preventing startup apps altogether, which supposedly to work better than an auto task killer.

Personally, I don't use any task killers,and I can get 48 hours with light to moderate usage.   This is on an HTC Desire Z, not the same phone as the Inspire, but considered the same "generation" of HTC phone.  

I certainly don't discount your experiences (which are certainly intriguing).  I've just stated the issue as I understand it. Some swear by task killers, others are solidly against.  It probably would take somebody smarter than either of us to really sort out or explain the best answer, if there is even one!

What "pages" are you speaking of (that's not standard Android terminology)?   There can be some different things going on, what tasks/apps are you killing?  I also know the Inspire comes with some bloat that is in memory on startup (despite most people not using the said app), that supposedly kills the battery.   In that case, there are apps for preventing startup apps altogether, which supposedly to work better than an auto task killer.

Personally, I don't use any task killers,and I can get 48 hours with light to moderate usage.   This is on an HTC Desire Z, not the same phone as the Inspire, but considered the same "generation" of HTC phone.  

[ Edited ]
6 of 10 (809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 1:20:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

Maybe my new love for Android devices has left me with incorrect terminology haha maybe this comes from my use of the iPhone a year or so ago. By pages I refer to switching from screen to screen. Main screen to other side screens, open the complete app screen, etc.

Far as my killed task, I use the app quickly w/ the push of a button. Far as what closes out I'm not sure, I see a list, I kill and they are gone. I've went back to see if that re-spawn but didn't unless they are like voice or something.

But hey what ever works for your phone!

Maybe my new love for Android devices has left me with incorrect terminology haha maybe this comes from my use of the iPhone a year or so ago. By pages I refer to switching from screen to screen. Main screen to other side screens, open the complete app screen, etc.

Far as my killed task, I use the app quickly w/ the push of a button. Far as what closes out I'm not sure, I see a list, I kill and they are gone. I've went back to see if that re-spawn but didn't unless they are like voice or something.

But hey what ever works for your phone!

7 of 10 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 2:51:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

I just was on lunch and took time to use the kill task app and I pulled it up a few times. All I see that re-populated was mail, phone, message (sms) a few other apps to but I read somewhere and I'm sorry I don't have the address cause was on the phone and was limited to time that I was able to review it that the task killer is mainly built for the removing of task that you may have recently pulled up. Example being CNN app. You look around the app, watch a few videos, read a little bit of news and then hit the home button and go about your business. The app is still running in the background by what I read which if I hold my home key button on the Inspire it will populate recent open apps. I tested this by closing out the app and re-opening which took me right where I left off I then tried it after the task kill and it appeared as if was the first time I opened this app today. So the task killer does remove the task that you may have done and then moved to your next app. If doing this makes your battery life better as you stated would be a argument better held with someone more knowledgeable on these devices. However the lag I believe it does help w/. If I go through multiple apps. From Google voice to yahoo messenger, CNN to E news all the way to my Charlie Sheen soundboard, I'll eventually experience some lag in my phone resending to me. If I do my kill task which I do maybe 4 to 5 times a day then I'm good. None the less seems as you said some view a benefit out of it others don't use it simply cause they don't believe its needed. But all points to the issue at hand for fihe's battery life concern. Give these options that were mention to you a try. Whatever works, works. Hope whatever it is improves you battery life Smiley Happy

I just was on lunch and took time to use the kill task app and I pulled it up a few times. All I see that re-populated was mail, phone, message (sms) a few other apps to but I read somewhere and I'm sorry I don't have the address cause was on the phone and was limited to time that I was able to review it that the task killer is mainly built for the removing of task that you may have recently pulled up. Example being CNN app. You look around the app, watch a few videos, read a little bit of news and then hit the home button and go about your business. The app is still running in the background by what I read which if I hold my home key button on the Inspire it will populate recent open apps. I tested this by closing out the app and re-opening which took me right where I left off I then tried it after the task kill and it appeared as if was the first time I opened this app today. So the task killer does remove the task that you may have done and then moved to your next app. If doing this makes your battery life better as you stated would be a argument better held with someone more knowledgeable on these devices. However the lag I believe it does help w/. If I go through multiple apps. From Google voice to yahoo messenger, CNN to E news all the way to my Charlie Sheen soundboard, I'll eventually experience some lag in my phone resending to me. If I do my kill task which I do maybe 4 to 5 times a day then I'm good. None the less seems as you said some view a benefit out of it others don't use it simply cause they don't believe its needed. But all points to the issue at hand for fihe's battery life concern. Give these options that were mention to you a try. Whatever works, works. Hope whatever it is improves you battery life Smiley Happy

8 of 10 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2011 6:14:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What you are describing about the CNN app is exactly how Android is supposed to work.  If you press back or home to get out of an app, it simply "freezes" it and keeps it in memory.  An app like this is typically not actively performing any processes, so usually not draining any significant amount of battery.  Its just kept in memory, so if you go back to it anytime in the near future, it loads quickly (CPU doesn't have to start it up again), and it takes up where you left off.  If memory is running low, Android will itself start killing off tasks in order to  re-appriopriate memory for a new app/process you are starting, based on some type of pre-determined priority (I think older tasks get killed first, but its probably more complicated than that).

Now some apps might be actively doing something in the background, such as downloading, synching, etc.  In that case, they may in fact be using battery if not killed or stopped at the phone's startup.  So its not a completely easy to explain or analyze issue.

Your experience with lag, moving from one app to another is pretty complicated too.  Several variables are at play, including CPU cycles, memory management, and also the fact that the Sense launcher is a big memory hog (I actually don't use it, I use ADW EX because its much more lightweight and smoother).  So it hurts my head just thinking about what exactly is going on with the lag.

What you are describing about the CNN app is exactly how Android is supposed to work.  If you press back or home to get out of an app, it simply "freezes" it and keeps it in memory.  An app like this is typically not actively performing any processes, so usually not draining any significant amount of battery.  Its just kept in memory, so if you go back to it anytime in the near future, it loads quickly (CPU doesn't have to start it up again), and it takes up where you left off.  If memory is running low, Android will itself start killing off tasks in order to  re-appriopriate memory for a new app/process you are starting, based on some type of pre-determined priority (I think older tasks get killed first, but its probably more complicated than that).

Now some apps might be actively doing something in the background, such as downloading, synching, etc.  In that case, they may in fact be using battery if not killed or stopped at the phone's startup.  So its not a completely easy to explain or analyze issue.

Your experience with lag, moving from one app to another is pretty complicated too.  Several variables are at play, including CPU cycles, memory management, and also the fact that the Sense launcher is a big memory hog (I actually don't use it, I use ADW EX because its much more lightweight and smoother).  So it hurts my head just thinking about what exactly is going on with the lag.

9 of 10 (775 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2011 9:39:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah the lag isn't as horrible as once was since the task killer but lag has happen on almost any smartphone I have-this is actually the less stressful of all but hey appreciate the information.

Yeah the lag isn't as horrible as once was since the task killer but lag has happen on almost any smartphone I have-this is actually the less stressful of all but hey appreciate the information.

10 of 10 (767 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments