text messaging charges

Teacher

text messaging charges

i cancelled my text messaging plan since i can iMessage all my friends who all have iPhones and iPads. figured why pay for a service i have no use for.

but now that my new billing cycle has started and the texts plan is no more, im now receiving spam texts that i had never gotten before in the 3 yrs ive had an iphone.
on my data usage stats it shows im being charged 20 cents for each text that i received.
why is texting not disabled?!!!
seems people can still send me unwanted texts.

what can be done to keep texts from being recieved?

on my parents cellphones they cant receive texts at all. it never goes through. i want to have it be just like theirs.
Message 1 of 12 (3,503 Views)
Expert

Re: text messaging charges

donutpower wrote:
i cancelled my text messaging plan since i can iMessage all my friends who all have iPhones and iPads. figured why pay for a service i have no use for.

but now that my new billing cycle has started and the texts plan is no more, im now receiving spam texts that i had never gotten before in the 3 yrs ive had an iphone.
on my data usage stats it shows im being charged 20 cents for each text that i received.
why is texting not disabled?!!!
seems people can still send me unwanted texts.

what can be done to keep texts from being recieved?

on my parents cellphones they cant receive texts at all. it never goes through. i want to have it be just like theirs.

not paying for texting does not mean that incoming texts are blocked, if you want that to happen put a texting block on the phone, just remember that Imessage only communiccates with other apple devices that have the ability, so no one else will recieve a message from you, also remember there is a setting in Imessage that tells it to send as sms if Imessage fails.

Message 2 of 12 (3,494 Views)
Teacher

how do i put a texting block on the phone? yes i know how iMessage works and ive let all my friends know that i have it and removed the regular SMS plan from my account.. but for random texts from spammers & unknown numbers, its unfair to be charged for those. yes i had the Send as SMS feature disabled right after installing iOS5. why is it that regular cellphones dont recieve texts when they are not on the SMS plan? but with smartphones they still get incoming texts?
Message 3 of 12 (3,486 Views)

you have messaging PPU on your account. it charges 0.20 per text message and 0.30 per picture/video message. you need to contact customer care and request a messaging block to be added and you wont have messages go through to your phone anymore.

quick messaging and basic phones will get charged when on messaging PPU if messages are sent/received, but if they are on a messaging block they wont get charged as messages wont function. same with smartphones.

Message 4 of 12 (3,484 Views)
Teacher

well i called customer service a couple hours ago & the woman i talked to on the phone said she put the block and removed any charges i had from the spam texts. i asked her if that would be in effect as of that moment. she said yes.

but i recieved a text 10 minutes ago from a number im not familiar with. i thought the block kept all messages from being recieved on the phone. why are they still showing up? does this mean ill get charged 20 cents for that one. or does the block mean i just wont get charged for whatever junk comes through??
Message 5 of 12 (3,463 Views)
Expert

donutpower wrote:
well i called customer service a couple hours ago & the woman i talked to on the phone said she put the block and removed any charges i had from the spam texts. i asked her if that would be in effect as of that moment. she said yes.

but i recieved a text 10 minutes ago from a number im not familiar with. i thought the block kept all messages from being recieved on the phone. why are they still showing up? does this mean ill get charged 20 cents for that one. or does the block mean i just wont get charged for whatever junk comes through??

If it is a message from att, they are not blocked and they are not charged, would suggest giving it 24 hours and see what happens, it may be in efect but it may not have fully propagated yet

Message 6 of 12 (3,460 Views)
Teacher

ahh ok. ill wait it out then.

no if its from AT&T it always says FREE MESSAGE at the beginning. these are from random numbers. got one from a cheescake factory and another about buying stocks. the rest are from phone numbers that are not in my contacts list.

i had never gotten this kind of activity when i was on a texting plan. so i find it a bit shady that when i removed it,the day my new billing cycle kicks in im getting all these texts.
Message 7 of 12 (3,457 Views)
Teacher

well i waited 24hrs and texts are still coming through. on my account it shows im now being charged for 9 texts.

am i going to have to call customer service again?

Message 8 of 12 (3,431 Views)

Have you turned your phone off for a minute and then turn it back on?

Message 9 of 12 (3,425 Views)
Teacher

yes i did that.

figured by now that my account would no longer show pay per usage texting. but its still there.did the customer service rep lie about making any changes or should i still have to wait for the change to take effect.?
Message 10 of 12 (3,420 Views)
Employee

It depends I'd they made it effective now, then they lied; or they set it to start on your next Bill cycle. Is call and ask
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 12 (3,255 Views)
Former Community Manager

donutpower wrote:
yes i did that.

figured by now that my account would no longer show pay per usage texting. but its still there.did the customer service rep lie about making any changes or should i still have to wait for the change to take effect.?

I think we need to take another look at the changes that were made to your account. I'd like to have you speak with someone who can help work through this with you. 

Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 12 (3,244 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.